Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » OFFICIAL CONTEST: Epic Cooking 2016

rat

Heimdall wrote:
It may not be a proper meetup, but I love meeting people from online/RPR especially when I go to conventions. :3 (My next one is Awesomecon in DC, early June.)

I think I need those hats in my mouth Right Now.

notice how the recipe says for 4 hats, but the photo only shows 3? i wonder where it went....? >.>
pssst, you should share your spiced wine recipe! i wanna see!
This contest is a nightmare for my diet. I need to eat all of it. At once!
Ilmarinen Moderator

rat wrote:
Heimdall wrote:
It may not be a proper meetup, but I love meeting people from online/RPR especially when I go to conventions. :3 (My next one is Awesomecon in DC, early June.)

I think I need those hats in my mouth Right Now.

notice how the recipe says for 4 hats, but the photo only shows 3? i wonder where it went....? >.>
pssst, you should share your spiced wine recipe! i wanna see!

I plan on it! I am gonna post recipes for anise crispels too! I just gotta clean my stove before I make the wine... >.> And every time I make the wine it's different, so I need to also figure out how much of each ingredient to put in. XD
I'm going to TRY and do a series on forgotten ingredients that medieval-ish characters would totally be eating all the time. Or some of the time ;D

Please note that I'm a huge historical food nerd.

The first one is a RPR-birthday cake made with... apple flour! Made with a total of five ingredients, the recipe is entirely my own creation. Unfortunately, I don't own an oven, so it was baked in something similar to this, at 115 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes. If you have a regular oven, I'd say go for a low temperature (140 C) and after 30 minutes of baking, watch it closely for signs of burning. It's done when you stick a toothpick into the middle of it and it comes out clean (with no dough stuck to it).

Without further ado... Happy birthday, RPR!

gAPhwR9.jpg
rSimefb.jpg

Recipe:
For the cake:
6 tablespoons butter
3 medium eggs (ideally at room temperature)
1/2 cup apple flour

Allow the butter to soften at room temperature. Mix it with the apple flour using a fork for a minute or two - it's okay if it ends up being a little lumpy at this point. Add the eggs one by one. Mix using a fork until it's smooth. You'll get a thick mixture that'll hold its shape. Put it on a baking surface, shaping it in any way you like, and bake at 140 degrees Celsius until it's done (I think it'll take about 45 minutes, but that'll heavily depend on your oven).

Frosting:
4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or less if you don't love it like I do)

Allow the butter to soften, then mix it with the honey and the cinnamon. Don't put the frosting on the cake until the cake has cooled, or it'll melt right off of it.

Makes one 5-inch cake.

Now, about the flour - in certain parts of continental Europe, it was very common to dry summer fruit (especially pears and apples), and after it was completely dry it was pulverized using a mortar. This was handy for sweetening things, since in those days sugar was extremely expensive, and honey was also pretty rare.
In modern baking, apple flour is used to substitute for both sugar and flour simultaneously. It looks like this.

For your adventuring convenience (because adventurers wandering through woods don't tend to have access to ovens), I also made pancakes!
oManJc1.jpg
Ingredients:
1 medium egg (super easy to steal from a nearby bird)
2 tablespoons apple flour
1 tablespoon ghee (which is almost like butter, except it doesn't spoil at room temperature)

Method: Using a fork, combine the apple flour with the ghee. Add an egg and mix well. Fry on ghee or butter. Be careful not to burn them - only use a small flame. Enjoy :)

It's also possible to make the pancakes without any butter or ghee, but they're so much better with the butter that I won't be giving it a try :)

And one more recipe handy for adventurers: apple tea
Put a two teaspoons of apple flour in a mug, pour hot water over it and allow to stand for five minutes. Enjoy with cinnamon and honey, if you have some on hand, or endure without them. :)

I'm intensely busy and devoid of most of my normal kitchen appliances and ingredients, but I'll try to post more weird-ingredient recipes as soon as I'm able!
rat

ahhhh wow! that sounds super tasty! definitely gonna try it when i go shopping next. :D
if i can't find apple flour, how much flour and sugar would you suggest? and any particular type of flour?
It is really tasty! I can't give suggestions about the flour and sugar, though. Sorry about that - I just have no idea!

If you'd like to try out an awesome-tasting apple-cinnamon cake with lots of butter (which is the flavour combo my recipe gives you), I'd recommend this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-upside-down-cake-356577 It's really easy to make, too.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I learned a thing! I am so incorporating apple flour into future RP.
XD Kim, now I have a strong urge to spend tomorrow ingredient-hunting and cooking and posting the rest of the things I had in mind :D
rat

Alecia wrote:
XD Kim, now I have a strong urge to spend tomorrow ingredient-hunting and cooking and posting the rest of the things I had in mind :D

this is a wise urge!! follow it! *u*
Ilmarinen Moderator

I am so excited you guys. The crispels were amazing and the hippocras is the best I've EVER MADE. I'll write up the recipe and get pics together tomorrow.
I created and added a recipe for apple flour pancakes and apple flour tea, because they seemed practical for RP and because most people who will be RPing with apple flour probably won't get to trying it out themselves :) Plus I'm super lucky to have randomly bought it at a farmers' market for like $3 per 1/2 kg, which is a little over a pound, whereas in the US it seems to cost like six times more O.o

Originally I thought I'd be putting all recipes into one post, but I'll probably end up doing a separate post for each recipe, so stay tuned!
Ilmarinen Moderator

Alecia wrote:
I created and added a recipe for apple flour pancakes and apple flour tea, because they seemed practical for RP and because most people who will be RPing with apple flour probably won't get to trying it out themselves :) Plus I'm super lucky to have randomly bought it at a farmers' market for like $3 per 1/2 kg, which is a little over a pound, whereas in the US it seems to cost like six times more O.o

Originally I thought I'd be putting all recipes into one post, but I'll probably end up doing a separate post for each recipe, so stay tuned!

Thanks for this! I, too, had never heard of apple flour before! I really wanna track some down now.
It's a bit late, but I present to you:
"Brainy is the New Delicious," A Sherlock Holmes Inspired Recipe!
tumblr_o6mt97CrrZ1rjj2vfo1_1280.jpg

This recipe is for honey-cinnamon ice cream with blueberry syrup.

For the ice cream, you'll need:
2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup 2% Milk
1/2 Cup Honey
And 1 1/2 tespoons of cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and put on the stove on medium heat until the honey's dissolved and the mixture's steaming. Next, chill for at least an hour, though longer is recommended. And last, throw it all in your ice cream maker following the ice cream maker's directions.
Yes, it is that easy.

For the blueberry syrup you'll need:
2 Cups Blueberry Juice
4 Tablespoons Honey

Combine in a saucepan and put on stove on medium heat until reduced to a saucy consistency, stirring occasionally. Depending on how thick or thin you want your syrup, this will take anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes, though don't leave it on there for more than 45 or it turns a bit... taffyish.
Chill for at least an hour, then you're ready to go!

Optional Garnish:
Walnuts (Highly Recommended)
Cinnamon

I'd suggest having these both on the stove at the same time, that way everything's ready at the same time.
It's not late at all, and it looks awesome! :D
The second in my series of RP-worthy forgotten ingredients is not exactly an ingredient. And it's not forgotten. I know, that makes perfect sense. I present you with... KEFIR!

Wait, what?

Okay, so you know how, in the days of old, there were various secret societies. Tribal secrets. Mysteries that were closely guarded inside monasteries. Stuff like that.

You're about to get acquainted with one of them.

Basically, kefir is made by a bunch of bacteria and yeasts that convert milk into a super-healthy beverage that slightly resembles yogurt. It takes them about 24 hours at room temperature. The bacteria and yeasts are stuck together in cauliflower-shaped lumps that are, for reasons unknown to me, called 'grains', and that look like this. Now that we know what kefir grains are, consider this:
Quote:
In the Caucasian Mountains, legend has it that the resulting kefir "grains (not really a true grain) were a gift to Orthodox people from Mohammed, who instructed them on how to use the grains. Mohammed strictly forbade them from giving away the secret of kefir preparation to other people, or pass anyone kefir grains, because they would lose their "magic strength."

Estimates are that milk kefir has been around for two thousand years or so, but nobody knows for sure because everyone has been so secretive about it. The story of how come we know about kefir nowadays is as follows:
Quote:
Other peoples occasionally heard strange tales of this unusual beverage which was said to have ‘magical’ properties. Marco Polo mentioned kefir in the chronicles of his travels in the East.

However, kefir was forgotten outside the Caucasus for centuries until news spread of its use for the treatment of tuberculosis in sanatoria and for intestinal and stomach diseases. Russian doctors believed that kefir was beneficial for health and the first scientific studies for kefir were published at the end of the nineteenth century. However, kefir was extremely difficult to obtain and commercial production was not possible without first obtaining a source of grains.

The members of the All Russian Physician’s Society were determined to obtain kefir grains in order to make kefir readily available to their patients.

Early this century a representative of the society approached two brothers called Blandov and asked them to procure some kefir grains. The Blandov’s owned and ran the Moscow Dairy, but they also had holdings in the Caucasus Mountain area, including cheese manufacturing factories in the town of Kislovodsk. The plan was to obtain a source of kefir grains and then produce kefir on an industrial scale in Moscow.

The Blandov’s were excited since they knew that they would be the only commercial producers of this much sought after product. The true story of the Blandov's quest for the elusive kefir grains is below.

Nikolai Blandov sent a beautiful young employee, Irina Sakharova, to the court of a local prince, Bek-Mirza Barchorov. She was instructed to charm the prince and persuade him to give her some kefir grains. Unfortunately, everything did not go according to plan. The prince, fearing retribution for violating a religious law, had no intention of giving away any 'Grains of the Prophet’.

However, he was very taken with the young Irina and didn't want to lose her either. Realising that they were not going to complete their mission, Irina and her party departed for Kislovodsk. However, they were stopped on the way home by mountain tribesmen who kidnapped Irina and took her back to the prince. Since it was a local custom to steal a bride, Irina was told that she was to marry Bek-Mirza Barchorov. Only a daring rescue mission mounted by agents of her employers saved Irina from the forced marriage.

The unlucky prince was catted before the Tsar who ruled that the prince was to give Irina ten pounds of kefir grains, to recompense her for the insults she had endured.

Okay, so here's the thing about kefir made from milk: I hate it. There are many people who enjoy the taste, and I really really tried to like it, but I haven't been able to. So imagine my joy when I found out about a much less-known variety of it, where instead of milk, sugary water is fermented into a fizzy flavoured drink.

I set out on a quest to obtain the elusive water kefir grains (whose origin might be Mexico, or Japan, or Tibet, or some other country because even less is known about them than about milk kefir grains), and after weeks of searching, I was able to get some in exchange for two handfuls of almonds.

If you're not that adventurous it's possible to buy them in various places, for instance here.

This grouping of bacteria and yeasts is actually different from the one of the milk kefir culture. They're different strands, and they form crystals rather than a cauliflower-shaped thing. Here's a picture of my babies:

p6qg2Ik.jpg

I make a very delicious vanilla-flavoured soda with them. Here's the recipe!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons water kefir grains
2 tablespoons sugar (any is fine - white, brown... Just be sure not to use honey because it'd probably kill your grains with its antibacterial properties)
4 cups filtered water or mineral water (regular tap water contains chlorine which would kill your grains. If you don't have a water filter you can boil the water to remove the chlorine)
1/5 teaspoon of ground vanilla bean, organic is best

Equipment
All equipment needs to be sterilised with hot water before you use it to handle the grains, otherwise they could become contaminated! You'll need:
A small non-metal sieve
A non-metal spoon
Two glass jars, each needs to hold about 5 cups
Something to cover the jars with.

Method:
Mix the sugar with the water until the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour into your glass jar. Add the kefir grains. Cover with something - not tightly, though. A small plate will do, as well as a lid. Let stand at room temperature for at least 24 hours, not in direct sunlight.

After 24 hours, strain the liquid into your second jar (and pour new sugary water over your grains to keep them alive). Toss the ground vanilla bean into your strained liquid. This is super important - you don't want to mix the vanilla with your kefir grains, ever, because it'd be a huge pain to get it out! You can't use extract here, but you could use a whole vanilla bean I guess :) If you want a fizzy drink, screw a lid tightly over the jar. Let stand for at least another 12 hours for the vanilla flavour to get into the drink. The longer it ferments, the less sweet it'll be and the more alcohol there'll be in it. Refrigerate once you're satisfied with how it turned out.

Here's a picture of vanilla goodness in the making:
jRyMrlG.jpg

It'll be done in about 12 hours, but I'm leaving it for another 12 after that because I'm not supposed to eat sugar and need the bacteria to get rid of it for me :)

My innovation in this recipe is using just vanilla without any other flavours, and using ground vanilla (which is much cheaper than using pods). You can flavour water kefir any way you like, as long as your flavourings are put into the strained liquid and don't come in contact with the grains.

It's not much of an innovation, but I just had to share how awesome kefir is with you guys!

This is the website I quoted from in case you're interested in learning more: http://coproweb.free.fr/kefiranglais.htm
rat

@alecia
gosh, these recipes are so fascinating! thank you for sharing!
there's so many historical foods i want to try now. *u* maybe not pig's head or earthworm soup though, ahah!
@Heimdall - Glad it peaked your interest, and good luck tracking some down :) I'm curious whether you'll manage to find it :)

@rat - you might wanna reconsider about pig's head XD I hear it's a delicacy!
So, i wanted to make a big fancy rpr birthday cake for this, however my friends birthday is tomarrow and i promised her a cake. Well shes a huge nerd and i have been planning to make her a geeky cake for around 3 months now, so i figured well enough i can use it to submit. i made this cake two days ago with the fantasy theme of lord of the rings <3

13199489_1333168076710677_568966298_o.jpg

now i dont have a full recipe as i did use boxed cake, and frosting but heres a (pretty long ahah...) rundown.

- i used 4 boxes of Spice cake, to each box i added 1 extra egg. (This helps keep the cake firmer and moister)
-I used 5 plastic cans of cream cheese frosting, which i proceeded to add powdered sugar(or confectioners sugar) to half of that to make it thicker.

-i used a 10x3 inch round pan, and i made 3 cakes. 1 with a single box, and 2 with a box and a half of batter.
-i trimmed all of these cakes, and cut them in half.

-i crumb coated and filled between two pieces of cake, and then cut the other two in half.
-i then had to frost those 4 pieces all together and trim it down to look like the hill.(this i had to do twice cause it ended up being too big.)
-then crumb coat and placed on top of the already crumb coated base.

-After this i frosted one more time and made WAY too much marshmallow fondant. (a good choice for anyone who doesn't like the taste of fondant, since this only uses mini marshmallows, water, and confectioners sugar)
-i used this fondant to make all the details of the front of Bilbos home. As well as cover the entire cake.

-HOWEVER: the colors were not good enough for me, so i mixed some food coloring with clear vodka (greay goose in this case, thank you mother) However if your underaged and attempting this, just make sure ur parents are okay with it, but dont worry cause the alcohol evaporates. there is no alcohol left when its dry. this gave me the perfect colors i was looking for.
-the only thing left to do was frost over the fondant(which i realize seems pointless since we layed fondant, if attempting feel free to skip covering the whole cake, i only did it because i made this cake over a two day period and didnt want it to dry out.)

-using a grass tip, which looks like a thimble, i piped green cream cheese frosting all over, and went back with some purple frosting and added flowers with another tip.

-Additionally: i also added a chocolate frog that i made using a mold my friend bought me for my birthday a few years ago, and i made a pathway using : Cake crumbs, crushed graham cracker, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and black sugar sprinkles, to achieve the dirt look.[/list]

13211043_1333168053377346_1111778290_o.jpg
13225068_1333168066710678_1914626429_o.jpg
13214645_1333168060044012_1787914653_o.jpg

and that was that :) i love making cakes and this one was really fun, and my friend almost cried when she saw it so that makes it so much better ^-^
Woot I actually made an entry for this one!
Now, at first I was going to do something that might be kind of big and grand (though not as grand as the Hobbit-house cake above ;) ), but then I realized something; what truly separates the masters from the dabblers (dabblers like myself) is time. As much as I'd love to, I don't have the time or the resources to create the fantastic recipes that I see in most recipe books. So I decided to do a snack that can be made with items that most households have. It can also be completed in about two minutes (maybe 3-5 if you decide to do the chocolate-chip logo like I did).
I give to you guys...
The Gamer's Swift Snack (OR) The Adventurer's Easy Escape. (I couldn't decide on a name ^^; )
recipe_1_by_celestialadoptables-da2jmsa.jpg First off, you need the ingredients. This takes three ingredients; peanutbutter, bread, and chocolate chips!

recipe_2_by_celestialadoptables-da2jmsh.jpg Put some peanutbutter on both slices of bread, then sprinkle some chocolate chips or arrange them in a design! Once you have your design, put the one piece of bread on top of the other to create a sandwich! (Hint: If you really want this to be on-the-go, be sure to leave a decent margin of bread between the crust and the peanutbutter or else it will ooze out the edges).

Ok, next is the very specific instructions. Stick it in the microwave for 15 seconds. If you have a super powerful microwave, maybe try 10 seconds, but never go higher than 15. Then, flip the sandwich over and repeat for another 15 (or 10) seconds. Do not try 30 seconds all at once. Trust me, I've perfected this. By flipping it over halfway through you keep the bread from getting too moist and soggy on just one side.
When you're done, it should look like this inside; recipe_3_by_celestialadoptables-da2jmst.jpg
This is perfect. It will melt more as it's stuck between the bread, so don't worry.

recipe_4_by_celestialadoptables-da2jnk3.jpg Take it out of the microwave, and you're done! Please note that this sandwich is best served with a glass (or bottle) of Lon Lon Milk ;D

There you have it, my friends! The quick, easy sandwich that is guaranteed to make any gamer's sweettooth shudder!
(Just a fun note; I almost named this 'the gamer's breakfast' because I literally had this for breakfast after being up late last night gaming.)
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Wow you guys. I am continuing to LOVE this contest.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » OFFICIAL CONTEST: Epic Cooking 2016

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus