Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Sports? Physical Activity?

Alright, so most of us are gamers, writers, and in general fantastical (sometimes even fanatical) dreamers (how could we not be with so many different rps, and characters around here). I began wondering, how many of us are sports fans, or physical activity nuts? What's you're fave sport, or type of activity? Do you watch or play em?

I'll be the first to admit, that I hated gym class and honestly disliked most sports. I love things like leisurely walks, Hiking, and biking. BUT I LOVE hockey! (*insert Canadian stereotype here* haha) I seriously love watching it, and now that the play offs are here I'm stoked for it, because my team (Ottawa Senators) made it to the play offs, and are holding their own against the rangers (game 5 tonight!) But even when my team isn't playing I can sit down and watch a game for the pure enjoyment of it. (especially if the leafs are getting their butts handed to em ;))

So folks, is there any sport or type of physical activity you're absolutely nuts for?
I'm also a hockey fan...rooting for the Washington Capitals. I wasn't really much of a sports fan but after seeing a few of their games live, it was a lot of fun and got me hooked!

I did take a few years of Fencing--which was great exercise. I actually keep meaning to get back into it, but classes can be expensive. I was fortunate that my college offered it, but now that I've graduated...yeah.
Pineapple Topic Starter

Captials are up against the bruins arn't they? XD I was a Vancouver fan when I first got into hockey a long time ago (well I was a Todd Bertuzzi fan ;) then we moved and he got traded.I needed a new team) after watching the sens for a few years I love em, I'm a Alfredsson, Neil and Karlsson fan XD!!

PS I love your avatar. I <3 toothless
They just played the Bruins in last night's game. The Caps won I think. Apparently there was a problem with the clock at the end.

And thanks. :) I love HTTYD waaaay too much. Right up there with Flynn Rider from Tangled. xD
Yuka

I do combat within reenacting, if that counts? XD I'm hopefully getting back into archery soon, and I might take up female boxing.
Ooooh, archery?! What kind? I have a recurve bow that probably needs a new string...but I should take it up again. I still would like to try longbow, but I'm afraid I don't have the upper body strength for it. (I did know a guy who had a longbow, and he'd just pull it a little ways back for the arrow to embed itself in the target--it was crazy strong.)
I used to love the sparring that came with my MCMAP training while I was in the military, and I like playing combat games with my Nerf guns. My two favorite sports are hockey and curling, and I still aspire to be an Olympic skeleton slider.
Kim Site Admin

Does dance count under your definition of a physical activity? It seems like the questions' bias was toward sports. But I dance a lot. Swing, Lindy, Charleston, Tango and others for social dances. And I also belly dance. :) It's definitely a workout!
Jetticus

I'm the most anti-nerd in this conversation now... I'm a major Football fan, so much that I paint my face, and body, and go to games! I scream and curse and drink beer and chest bump, the whole thing.

I also play fantasy football.

Other things that I do, I play Flag Football and I love to play catch with my little brother, it's good times for sure.

:D
Jello_Monsta

Let's see here...well

I played hockey in high school believe it or not XD 5 foot 4 inches of sheer terror in my opinion. XD

I hike, kayak, mountain climb, swim.

I used to be in gymnastics, but could NOT master the cart wheel XD

Now-a-days I do war at Renaissance faires, the whole medieval battle reenactment. I also do belly dancing shows at faire. I've become a huge fan of mud wrestling XD and participated. Uhm I watch football, but mostly because it's a family thing. (go vikings :P)

Grooming dogs is a physical activity in itself and I do that everyday. Lifting St. Bernard's into bath tubs and wrestling dogs who try to eat me.
Pineapple Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Does dance count under your definition of a physical activity? It seems like the questions' bias was toward sports. But I dance a lot. Swing, Lindy, Charleston, Tango and others for social dances. And I also belly dance. :) It's definitely a workout!

oh no,no,no I didn't mean to limit it. I thought I had left it broad enough with physical activity I'm sorry ^^

And I love hearing all this!! I love watching competitive things, but I really prefer doing leisurely things, lol and that makes me feel a little lazy lol.

Pstt Jello I can still do cartwheels, as I found out last weekend ;)
Ilmarinen Moderator

I'd like to get into silly LARP and more serious SCA fighting, but I have some weird shyness hangups about fighting people and sports that I have to work through first.

As for what I actively do? I lift! But my crazy schedule often prevents me from having a regular routine and I'm really out of shape in the cardiovascular sense, so right now my emphasis is just dropping some fat. And it's haaaard. :( But someday I'm going to be muscular enough so that when someone looks at me they say "whoa! that person is built!" I'm reasonably buff as it is, certainly nothing to shake a stick at... but right now the fat-bulk is more obvious than the muscle-bulk. Alas!
Pineapple Topic Starter

Heimdall wrote:
And it's haaaard.

I know! I've been trying to do the same, my own schedule is really screwed up too.
Most oddball activity yet: I am a SUPER PRO RACE CAR DRIVER. Hah, not really, but my friends and I go race our cars at slalom courses and auto-cross events in neighboring cities. Not tooo physical, I guess, but my car doesn't have power steering, so I get a bonus :P.
Minerva

I love american football, and the Packers are forever my team. I used to play it in the parking lot playground with the guys, lol. I made a good quarterback. Also, in spite of being a thick girl I had a knack for soccer. Broke a kid's leg once, though, and didn't play much after that. felt horrible.
Minerva

oh, and duh, i should have mentioned i was third in state swimming one year, and was always a few age brackets ahead on the team. But my dad turned that into a training nightmare so much that i lost my love for it. derek recently got me in pools again.
Does Wii Sports count? Huh? Does it? Does-- okay, it probably doesn't.

But uh, I used to be a golfer, but I sort of got turned off from it after high school--I think I got tired of being thrust into tournaments in and outside of school. I played football once and got a tooth near knocked out, and before that a base ball smacked into my chin and scabbed it up. 8D

But uh, my lack of sports aside, we are huge Dallas Cowboys fans in this house-- and Texas Rangers fans to a lesser extent (remember when the Cowboys has a 0W-15L streak in the 90's? yeah, my dad was the man who sat at home on Sunday afternoon after church, with his cowboys gear on, watching the game alone because his friends didn't want to watch a failing team-- that's how big-a fans we are around here).

And of course we watch golf tournaments-- coming from a family of golfers, why wouldn't we?

I also run around the house chasing my cats. That is TOTALLY a physical activity.
Minerva

gah cowboys. I live in such enemy territory. Blasphemers. :/ but at least its not like in Tosa. The local theater with couches had free admission to big screen sports game, free popcorn... And you realize how close you are to chicago when the bears show up for their game and food flies during it. Place even served alcohol.
Jello_Monsta

Bonebag wrote:
Most oddball activity yet: I am a SUPER PRO RACE CAR DRIVER. Hah, not really, but my friends and I go race our cars at slalom courses and auto-cross events in neighboring cities. Not tooo physical, I guess, but my car doesn't have power steering, so I get a bonus :P.

omg no power steering is a work out, I got so buff driving this car I got for free. It had no power steering at all! I had to wear leather gloves just to get a grip on it to turn it. I never want to live through that hell ever again!
Oh, I simply can not wait to excessive exercise my body after every day of taking the library's stock of books~~~ No, I am afraid I do not find sports or physical labor exciting~ Tis' too rich for my blood~

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Sports? Physical Activity?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus