Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » 'Insomnia' cures?

(This isn't actual insomnia I think, but that's the best way to describe sleeplessness)

Sooo the past few nights, I've been waking up REALLY early. I wake up at like five or six and then I toss and turn for the rest of the morning until my usual wake-up at 8:30 or 9 (cyberschool ftw). I don't know why I've suddenly started doing this. It started when I got home from my weekend college. I woke up an hour before I was supposed to be awake for church, and I toss-n-turned without really falling asleep until I woke up for good.

It happened on Sunday night as well, and now it's happened on Monday night. I must have started tossing and turning around 4am or something, because I opened my eyes and actually woke at 6. I don't think it's dreams, because I haven't had any real nightmares. I've tried sleeping on a heating pad to relax my muscles, too. I don't think it's the light either because I use a sleepmask (though it often comes off during my sleep), but it isn't that bright out this morning either.

Suggestions? Help? I really like sleep and I would love to get some more before I have to sacrifice it for actual reasons. xD So if you know of what it may be, tell me!
That isn't insomnia my friend. Insomnia is when you are unable to sleep for longer than so many hours. I suffer from this, as I usually am up at night, and can't sleep and I wake up and unreasonably short hours, only getting myself less than three hours of sleep and not even that sometimes, and what you describe sounds more like your body is simply adjusting to a different internal clock cycle. It could be something that you are eating before you sleep? I would recommend drinking milk before bed. That might keep you asleep longer. I would try and do quiet things before bed. Be active during the day so that you are actually tired at night. Maybe you are doing something different and your body is getting itself time to adjust. There are alot of things that could be a contributer. Good luck in finding that solution. :D
CelestinaGrey Topic Starter

I know it's not insomnia ^^ I wanted to keep the title short though and I couldn't think of another way to make it short while conveying it was a sleep problem.

That's possible! I'll try the drinking milk suggestion. The sleeplessness only started after my weekend at college registration/orientation, where I was waking up early for the weekend. Maybe that's what it is.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Sudden changes in sleeping pattern can cause what you describe. Had it myself a number of times but it usually passes after a week or two.
Another thing, this being something that my squadron doctor told us when I was in the Marines, is that there are only two things you should be doing in bed. -ing and sleeping. Anything else, like watching TV, being on the computer, and even reading, tell your body that sleeping might not be the natural thing to do in bed. This is something I believe in myself firmly enough that I only ever sleep in bed. All my reading, computer stuff, TV watching, is all done on the couch.

...I'm in big trouble then Jay XD
I always do my school on my bed. I'm sitting with my back against the side of it (I have a daybed), so it's not like how I am when I sleep. But it's still in my bed. I should fix this, lol.

Thanks for the bits of advice guys :)
Minerva

don't make longterm habit out of drinking milk at night. that raises potential of imbalanced stomach, lactose intolerence, esophogeal or stomach cancer, etc. Once in a while won't make you explode but I'd just say follow the schedule advice, including being free of your bed. My schedule got all confused when i spent too much time in my bed.
Kim Site Admin

I would also suggest more exercise early on in the day. It can do wonders to reset your internal clock. It sounds like you just had an odd (and exciting) schedule event that your body isn't sure whether to still be honoring, and you need to shake that out of yourself. Just don't do it right before bed or it will take you longer to fall asleep. Early afternoon is probably the sweet spot. :)

Thanks so much for all the advice, you guys! I will be sure to check into everything! :)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » 'Insomnia' cures?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus