Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Need advice about art Iequipment

Zinx

I see plenty of art done and some of them look like they are from photoshop, but others look....well, awesome! They are very well colored and drawn. What are you guys using to make them look like that?

Here are some of my own art...

http://zinxel.deviantart.com/art/Dragon-Tears-617260108

http://zinxel.deviantart.com/art/Untitled-617259801

http://zinxel.deviantart.com/art/Diona-617260400

Edit....
Okay so I've done some research on tablets any recommendations?
Definitely recommend Wacom products. However, if you want a cheap alternative, go with Genius. The brand is fabulous and hardy, and I've never ever had issues with them. C:
Zinx Topic Starter

Thank you! Thinking about getting one. :3
I can also vouch for Wacom - and the Microsoft Surface Pro 4, coupled with something with touch controls like Clip Studio Paint. That's also getting back up into high-end Wacom prices, though - but it's super portable!
Zinx Topic Starter

I am a bit of a penny puncher haha. Are they easy to use? I've always used pencil and paper, and have experienced photoshop.
Kim Site Admin

Back in the day I saved and saved and saved for a wacom and oooooh it was so worth it.

I used it in Photoshop -- you can get pretty much any style you want from it with enough practice.

Using the wacom was very weird for the first two weeks or so and then it feels incredibly natural.
My first and current tablet is a Wacom Bamboo FUN Pen & Touch. It's been with me for almost a decade at this point, and it's been a great tool for getting art done. I used PhotoShop in the beginning, though have been very reliant on Easy Paint Tool SAI as of late. I know someone who says that Krita (available on Steam, even) is worth using.
Zinx Topic Starter

Hmmm I have heard of the bamboo ones as well. As you can see I am use the pencil and was hoping that using a pen like stylus and a tablet would help with making them pop. Your profile picture, is that one that you did from that tablet?
Ilmarinen Moderator

I use a wacom intuos 4, having upgraded to that about a year and a half ago from a wacom bamboo ... I got that one in I think 2008. And before THAT I used a wacom graphire which they no longer sell! I can't vouch for the other tablet brands but wacom has ALWAYS delivered. :) I've heard Huion and Yiynova are comparable, though. I had planned on getting a Yiynova display tablet, but ultimately decided I didn't need to upgrade yet ... when I do, I might just spring for the cintiq companion. Display tablets are cool but much more expensive, and more things can go wrong with them. I personally would suggest whatever bamboo they have these days!

Drawing on a tablet does have a sharp learning curve, but once you train your eye to dissociate from your hand, it feels very natural. It's totally worth the investment.
Zinx Topic Starter

Yeah I thought it would be different but it will be worth it.
Zinx wrote:
Hmmm I have heard of the bamboo ones as well. As you can see I am use the pencil and was hoping that using a pen like stylus and a tablet would help with making them pop. Your profile picture, is that one that you did from that tablet?

It is indeed. C:

A tablet can certainly help make art pop if you have to rely on a camera to get pictures uploaded. Though, there are some photographed traditional pieces that I must admit that are still lovely as opposed to being scanned and having the quality reduced because the scanner doesn't play nice with the image. ; v ;
Wacom tablets, I swear by them, they're awesome!

If you're interested in photoshop, a good alt. is Manga Studio (or Clip Studio, same thing), which I use for the majority of my stuff now, and it's so nice <3 I also use Paint Tool SAI which is nice, it just doesn't have some of the fancier stuff; As a beginner, SAI was amazing, but again, Clip Studio is what I mostly use now.
Like everyone else said, definitely Wacom is one of the leading tablet companies. If you'd rather go for something more portable than a Wacom however, you could get an iPad Pro, either the 12" or 9.7" both work extremely well. You would have to buy the stylus separately but there are off-brands that are cheaper alternatives to the Apple pen. I know three people that currently use the iPad Pro for their artwork, and even follow a few on Facebook that use it for their art and it looks just as good as art that has been done on a tablet on a PC.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Need advice about art Iequipment

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus