Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Hide a page

Having the option to hide a page, so that it is not visible as a link on the navigation bar, would be nice. It bothers me that someone could read potentially read a page when I haven't finished working on it... it's sort of like having someone looking over your shoulder while you are working. I'm a perfectionist and really don't want anything I've written to be seen until it is finished.

I could just write all my text on word or in notepad, but I have so many of those that I tend to lose track of them...
Ilmarinen Moderator

This is a cool idea. It also serves another purpose: pages you don't want to be directly navigable to, for whatever reason. Say you want to have a page that's a list of your characters scars or dreams or something, and since it's such a large list you want it to be on a page all by itself... but you don't want it to be in your navbar because it's kind of specific, or maybe you have a bunch of pages like these and want to save space, etc. So you can hide it, but then link to it in the body of another page as a more natural means of detail. Like "Felix has many scars from old battles. Notable ones include the three on his face and one on his stomach. Here is a list of the others."
Dragonfire Moderator

Or if you have an alternate continuity for a character, that would also be neat. I play my valkyrie character occasionally with two seperate histories - a sort of 'main timeline', and an alternate 'what-if' line. It'd be neat if I could provide information about that alternate storyline - a link out of her Furc desc when I'm playing her as such, leading to that 'hidden' page - without contaminating the rest of her site with it and getting people confused, hehe.
Kim Site Admin

Hmmmn... I will definitely ponder this one to see how it might best be accomplished. It sounds like a great idea to me.
Kim wrote:
Hmmmn... I will definitely ponder this one to see how it might best be accomplished. It sounds like a great idea to me.
One of the ways you might try (and I thought this up in about five seconds, so it probably isn't the best) is have whatever info someone puts on their pages be saved to a preview/separate page a la photoshop - whenever you preview a picture, it saves a temporary copy of it and you view the copy and not the original. When it reaches a point where it's finally acceptable, there could just be a publish or post button for the finished product.

Now that I read over that, it actually sounds a lot like the preview function if it was formatted with a style sheet. But hey, could work. Think aboot it, I like this idea.
Kim Site Admin

Wordpress has a function like that too. But I'll probably hide by page rather than by widget to keep it simple.
I agree with the OP. :>
EdtheNeko

I like OP's idea as well, I actually wanted this as well...
I dislike it, when people sort of look over my shoulder during the creation of a new site.
But I also fear sometimes that I ruin the layout/code whenever I am editing it.

My Solution:
I have a profile of a character I do not actively play anymore an use this profile to work on a special site for my active char.
That way nobody can look over my shoulder, but also saves me from accidentially ruining layout of my site.
Sanne Moderator

I wouldn't mind this one bit! It's very useful if you want to 'draft' your profile first and then publish them later.

One thing I do run into is the potential for abuse if a page is 'hidden': untagged content could be posted on such a page, and when we look at the profile we wouldn't be any wiser if there's no link on the profile itself. But it'd still be possible for the user to direct link on the RPR forums or on other sites/games, causing problems because we're unable to check all present pages. So... basically a mod tool to see all pages so moderators can catch slip-ups and prevent abuse?

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Hide a page

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus