Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » RP Romance Gender Preference

MSochist Topic Starter

For me, I generally use japanese terms for everything. But yeah, all of my characters are anime-based.
Sanne wrote:
(This is address to everyone:) I'm curious though, what is the reason for not just simply calling it gay/lesbian/straight roleplay? Is it because the characters are specifically anime based? What makes it different from gay RP to you?

I am also curious about this? To me, like you explained, yaoi/yuri means there's explicit sexual content when people use it. Though I tend to avoid using gay/lesbian, as well, because most of my characters are bisexual or without label. So the words don't quite fit. That's why I stick with MM/FF over the other options.
Just a thing on this whole "Yaoi/Yuri" vs "MxM/FxF" discussion, Yaoi and Yuri are generally more lewd terms. I myself would personally go with the latter two, but still, I think the different ways are interchangeable in most cases.
Sanne wrote:
(This is address to everyone:) I'm curious though, what is the reason for not just simply calling it gay/lesbian/straight roleplay? Is it because the characters are specifically anime based? What makes it different from gay RP to you?

I think that might be a "circle" thing. As in people in certain circles will call something one thing and other circles will call it something else. To be in full truth, I ain't one of them anime kids. Never watched much of it outside of what was on Toonami and Adult Swim. Wasn't my thing. I understand the basic meaning behind yaoi and yuri, but when you start talking "shounen ai" and all that, expect a really glassy look to come over my eyes. On the flip side, my missus would know exactly what you're talking about and be able to debate the finer points and merits of the differences.
Sanne wrote:

As Jaybird mentioned, it's more of a circle thing with those who are yaoi/yuri fans or anime fans in general who know the terms well enough. I don't really call it gay/lesbian/straight roleplay because like Kidd said, my characters are bisexual, pansexual or asexual. Even if I did have a lesbian character (which I do, but she's taken) I would call it F×F because it's easier to write out, especially if it comes to text based RP ads.
I think it's a bit of monkey see, monkey do personally. If people write out Yoai/Yuri, then other people are likely to do the same. If they write out MXM or FXF, then people are also likely to do the same.
Adelbard Laudessagne (played anonymously)

MSochist wrote:
Sir Adelbard Laudessagne wrote:
I also notice that people looking for FxM will often simply advertise their topic as just "romance" and only specify "female looking for male" or whatever in the description. Not sure if that skews your data!

It kind of does lol but I'm almost positive MxM still takes the lead haha

I got really curious about this, and so looked through the first two pages on the AO LFRP forum, extrapolating from character pages if need be. I'm excluding topics where I couldn't figure out specifics. Here's what I found.

MxM: 8
FxF: 3
MxF: 19

Obviously this is a small sample size, but this is about what I anticipated. FxF is by far the rarest, but I did think the gap between MxM and MxF wouldn't be quite so large.
G_Candell

Well, if I may be permitted a moment's excursion into the misanthropic credence that tantric behavior is chaos made wholesome never, and warranted in all manners of flesh rending itself upon flesh until sheets are torn, voices are left hoarse against cold shadows, and gasping violently is painted on lips that no longer convey strength beyond a quiver... I will refer to the sweet wisdom of Ol' Dirt Mcgirt as my answer.

My preference is...

But I'd enjoy a nice, romantic conversation with just about anyone, if that's what we're referring to.
@Sir Adelbard

Interesting! I only do MxF and I can never seem to find anything but MxM!
Maybe it's because I don't fully play out sexual content, and because I don't want Romance only.
Adelbard Laudessagne (played anonymously)

Penholder wrote:
@Sir Adelbard

Interesting! I only do MxF and I can never seem to find anything but MxM!
Maybe it's because I don't fully play out sexual content, and because I don't want Romance only.

It might be due to confirmation bias. I wonder how the numbers would change if I looked at the regular LFRP forum instead? I feel like I'd just get less data since fewer topics would mention romance.
I only have two characters.

My girl prefers romance (both innocent and naughty) with other girls, but is okay with boys. My boy, however, is purely straight and is only interested in girls.

And I agree, yuri is sooo hard to find.
Sylvania (played anonymously)

I am almost strictly MxF, with me playing the female.

Sadly, it's quite hard for me to find this kind of RP, because, I am so picky. So..very..picky. I like quality, however, I also like quantity. If one thing does not lack, it's the other.

I may also somewhat judge whether or not I'd be interested in involving my OC in a romantic relationship, based on if I find the character personally attractive. >>
More times than not, that's not a thing -_-
Taramafor

It used to be just female. But eh, I'm an open minded, hetroflexible guy now. I still need a female but could also include a male. My poly nature probably has something to do with that (basically not playing favorites, and not just but including in terms of romance/sex).

If however a guy goes "Nope, no girl. Not even going to keep an eye out for you", then I simply take that as a lack of caring of my needs. I'm the type of person that needs all of my needs to be at least considered. Because I always consider the needs of others and bust my back to make sure others get their needs met too. Be it sexual, romantic, just plain strange and not fully understood but still realizing it's a thing for them so I'll do it anyway. Etc. But if I give cake I better get cake. This also ties in with "This thing I might not like myself but wouldn't mind dong for someone else if they're doing something for me", etc, etc. In the end it's a clear cut case of "If they're there then they focus on me as I would focus on them as I'm there for them". And I have to actually connect with someone in a real way before/as well as roleplay wise, which I make sure is talked about if/when that seems to be happening to prevent misunderstandings, otherwise people might assume one way or the other. Seriously, wise to check in on this stuff. Hearts are fragile things.

In any event, extremely strong female preference. And no, hetroflexible isn't the same as bi. Hetroflexible is a lot more rare with the same gender. Like "once in a blue moon" and/or "under very specific circumstances". I've done it in roleplay already *under specific circumstances) but can see myself opening up to more real possibilities under specific circumstances. And roleplay got me pondering about it. Hm, funny that.

Ultimately though I care more about the personality and the none judgmental mindset. Girl? great, I'm there for you. Guy? There for you too. Guy I thought was a girl because of the avatar? Welp, you told me and didn't hide it so I'm here. It's all good in my book. I don't really use relationship labels since I simplify things to "They're there or not". And people can be not there and want to be and let's just say I've had relationships that were barmy and that simplifying things just makes things easier somehow. If harder at the same time due to having to explain it when I need too (which I somehow manage). Not covering all that here because that's a whole other conversation and getting more involved in a personal level.

I'll note I always play male. I tend to put myself in the characters position. So in a sense it's a different version of me. Even when it's IC. Even though it would be a completely evil, twisted version of me that has hellfire and gives warm cuddles but would probably- let's just go with "What would I do in this characters position".
TinyCentaur

I have a lot of RP partners who RP MxM with me. I have like one or two MxF ships, but other than that, it's MxM.

But heck I really want some FxF. As a pansexual woman, I really find it hard to find FxF of any kind really. Especially the cute stuff. I just want me some cute FxF couples enjoying themselves tbh.
Oh, and I do tend to play as a female most of the time, but I am always open to roleplaying as the male too. I got a bunch of characters of a different range of genders. Aha.
MSochist Topic Starter

TiniestCentaur wrote:
But heck I really want some FxF. As a pansexual woman, I really find it hard to find FxF of any kind really. Especially the cute stuff. I just want me some cute FxF couples enjoying themselves tbh.

Yes, it's the same with me! Since it's hard to find cute FxF romance and I am too shy to advertise a roleplay for it, I actually have been trying for the longest time to write my own story with that element.
Kim Site Admin

I see a lot of voices insisting that Yaoi is not necessarily sexual in this thread, and I want to make an official remark here, because the mod team treats anyone asking for yaoi as making a request for hardcore sexual content in 100% of cases.

This is why:

"Yaoi" is an acronym. It stands for "YAma nashi, Ochi nashi, Imi nashi", which roughly translates to "no climax, no point, no meaning, just sex".

It's like if we had an english acronym like "MSNP" which stood for "Meaningless Smut with No Plot".

It would be weird and confusing if people started insisting that by saying MSNP, they didn't really mean anything sexual, just romantic.

Although more recently and especially in the west "yaoi" has been used to also include romantic, non-sexual content, we feel that this is sort of like if people suddenly started using "I want you to have sex with me" as slang to mean "I want you to give me a gentle kiss" -- misleading, confusing, and fraught with the potential for really horrific miscommunications.

If you are asking for yaoi and you only mean romance, not on-screen sexual stuff, we urge you to say romance, or even "non-sexual boys love" and not just "yaoi" to avoid this kind of miscommunication. If you DO choose to just say yaoi, a moderator will move it into the adult's only LFRP board, or delete it if you're under-aged.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » RP Romance Gender Preference

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus