Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Trick or Treat: Topaz

Topaz (played by Dragoncat)

Cliff Town bustled with activity. Today was the Autumn Festival: games, costumes, and lots of fun things to do. The desert village was decorated with painted rocks and cacti with colorful beads and ribbons strung on them.

The village chief and his mate stood at the village gates, welcoming travelers and beckoning them to come in and enjoy themselves. Nearby, an orange dragon sat at a market stall. A sign said: "Free candy!" The candy was made of dried honey and cactus fruit.
The next place that Nalia found herself was... interesting, to say the least. Last she recalled, she was within a city -- close to particularly seedy alleyways last she knew. Now... there was a shift in the world around her, and suddenly she found herself within a village. A village that was chilling since the sun was not hung over the land.

Walking through the area whilst pulling her cloak more tightly around herself, Nalia looked around. She noted the decorations and the festivities that were going on. They looked a tad different from what she saw last time in the city she was just in, but they were definitely familiar as far as she could tell anyway.

The sign that read 'free candy' was what intrigued Nalia the most. It was more the fact that she could actually read it rather than it being in a language she could not understand.

Nearing the stall, Nalia looked around curiously, then eyed the dragon behind the stall with intrigue. While it had not been her first encounter with a dragon, it certainly was a unique encounter. Most of the dragons she saw did not typically run businesses. Heck, the one she did meet was also unconventional -- but for the most part, Nalia had a lot of interest in a market dragon.

"... A good eve to you," Nalia greeted, noting that she perhaps was lingering and staring for a bit longer than she realised initially.
Topaz (played by Dragoncat) Topic Starter

Topaz had never seen a creature like this before. Horns like a dragon, but the face resembled that of a faun, or maybe a fairy. The legs were draconic, and she(the voice told her it was female)had a skinny tail.

She smiled. "Good eve to you too! This is the best candy we can make in the Peace Keepers world. Honey and cactus fruit, wrapped up in one neat little package. My mother made it." Topaz gestured to the gold dragon at the village gate, who smiled and waved. The orange dragon picked up one of the candies in her paw. The candies were little amber colored shards, no doubt they had once been part of a big sheet and then broken off. "It's very good." She extended her paw toward the creature. "You can have some if you like."
Taken aback by the dragon's seemingly unabashed nature, Nalia looked around and noticed that this seemed to be a village of dragons. It was almost appalling to her that she did not notice sooner. However, Nalia kept her head and approached the stall, her typical scowl gone.

In her bag, however, there was a rustle, and the small head of a red coloured dragon popped out. It gave a small growl before hiccuping with a small spark. This startled Nalia momentarily as she looked down to her bag and then opened the flap further.

"Waking up, Maginhir?" Nalia asked, stroking the scales before looking back to the candies. The orange dragon before her gave an invitation to the honey and cactus fruit shards. They glinted like jewels, which Nalia could only assume was the point since dragons liked shiny things more often than not.

"I am... fire..!" the dragon named Maginhir exclaimed. It was still very young, and as his eyes fluttered open, it instantly caught onto the new surroundings and then looked to the shards of candies.

Instantly, Maginhir was awake. He clambered out of Nalia's bag and up where some of the shards were. Quickly, he seemed intent on gathering a small pile and laying his body atop his newly formed hoard.

"Ah... right..." Nalia said. "Sorry about him. He's... he's young. Though, I suppose I would be interested in these candies. I've never seen anything like them where I come from. Mostly sweet rolls and taffy. Chocolate is a rare luxury. How do you get candy that looks like jewels?"

The small red dracling, although obviously a dragon, looked different somehow...for one thing, he was tiny. Only about the size of a desert rat. Topaz knew that even runts weren't that small. Most dragons hatched the size of a fennec fox or a sand cat.

She chuckled softly. "I have to say, you surprised me, little one." Turning to the reptilian faun looking creature, she added: "I can tell you're probably not from here. You must be from far away. It's interesting that dragons exist even in faraway lands...but, where did you get him and why was he riding in your bag?" Topaz then turned her attention back to the little red dracling. "That's food, not gems. Kindly get off the pile, please."

The faun creature asked about the candy and why it looked like jewels. Topaz shrugged, her wings folding and her head tilting slightly. "The honey has to be heated to boiling and the fruit melts inside of it. And then you hit it to crack pieces off, after it's cooled of course. When I heat it, it's not as shiny, but when my mom heats it, it turns out like this. Must be the difference between fire and electric breath." The faun creature commented about chocolate. "Chocolate is great." Topaz said. "But we have to import it from the Beast Makers. They have jungles that cocoa grows in, we don't. Depending on which chocolate maker you work with, it can cost a wing and a tail, or you can just trade things for it. Lava rocks from Molten Crater or fossils from Skelos Badlands are a popular choice. So chocolate is hard to come by here too. We have something in common."
For a moment, Maginhir gave another growl and hissed, opening his little maw and coughing out a couple extra sparks. This prompted Nalia to scoop up the young dragon in her hands and place him back in her bag. As he was being put within, he gave several grumbles and repeated 'I am fire!' two to three times.

"Maginhir is... an interesting story..." Nalia started in her response. "A group of... friendly acquaintances and I got mixed up in a tower of both riddle and terror at one point. At the top of the tower, eggs that had been destroyed. His was the last one, and I decided to take it with me."

Nalia, understandably, conveniently left out the part where she initially took the egg to turn a profit. Though that conversation in a village of dragons seemed highly inappropriate. She was not sure the customs nor the socially accepted here... especially when she was, yet again, the odd one out.

"When he hatched, he imprinted on me. So I guess that kind of makes me his mother..." Nalia then said, looking back to Topaz.

Nalia then was told about the process of making such sweets. She would have to remember it for later. Perhaps she could use it to her advantage when she was back home on Toril. Of course, she would actually have to find and farm honey. Though that might have been too much work, quickly thinking about it.

The tiefling then gave a small smile when the dragon mentioned the similarities they shared in that small thing. It was a little amusing to think about -- but then again, Nalia felt that perhaps she was also growing a large soft spot for dragons now that she had been taking care of one for herself.

"Indeed. It is a shame, though. I'm sure that you could arrange a trade route -- these jewel-like honey candies for the chocolate," Nalia suggested, more thinking about her trade routes from home and how they worked.

Reaching out, Nalia plucked a candy and placed it in her mouth. The shard was a little bigger than what would have been recommended, but Nalia did enjoy the sweet, sweet taste of it. Definitely different than what she received beforehand -- even including last year's festivities.

"This is definitely good, thank you for sharing," Nalia thanked, taking another piece and placing it gently in her bag. Maginhir could be heard rustling inside before a small little cackle sounded out and the muffled 'I am fire!' from within.

"Oh, we do trade these for the chocolate at times." The dragon mused. "But they have honey there too, and their own fruit, so they can make similar ones themselves. The fossils, they seem to want those more. The Beast Makers are always interested in old dead things. Apparently they used to be able to revive the fossils, or make living things out of mud sculptures. But that's just folklore...I doubt they can now, if they ever could."

She frowned slightly at the explanation of the dracling. "Unfortunate, but I'm glad things ended up alright for him." Her expression turned to a smile when the creature accepted the candy. "You are welcome! Have a good time at the festival."
"You and I both," Nalia replied in regards to the small red dragon that remained in her bag.

Giving a small wave to Topaz, Nalia nodded in acknowledgement to the well wishes.

"I'll certainly do my best. A good rest of the eve to you. And thank you once more," Nalia said before turning to explore the rest of the village.
Savalia (played by Kim)

With her hair shining like a tiny light house atop her head, Savalia stood out like a sore thumb in most places; but a town where so many of the inhabitants were dragons might just see her unusually fiery appearance as normal! Hearing tell of the autumn festival, she took the long hike up to cliff town, and arrived just as it was beginning to get dark. She cheerfully greeted the town elder on her way in, but was soon attracted to the sign promising free candies.

"Hey, pleased to meet you. What inspires this generosity?"

Topaz shrugged. "Just something we do every year, this year it's my turn!"
Savalia (played by Kim)

"Wow. Do you run a candy shop.. or? Is this advertisement for something? Or are you really just that good a person?" the flame-haired woman questioned. Her eyes remained fixed on Topaz's face, but her hands were busily taking a little more than her fair share of candies.

Topaz blinked. "Well, normally I don't run a candy shop, normally I'm more of a warrior type...I defend the village and train to be the next chief after my dad." She looked at the flame hair of the female creature in front of her, wondering if she was an overgrown fire fairy with no wings. And a really overgrown one at that...

Then she noticed that she was taking like half the tray. "It's cactus fruit and honey, we can make more, but don't take all of it, please."
Savalia (played by Kim)

Savalia laughed, popping one of the candies into her mouth. "You got it. No more candy for me. And I think I'm starting to get it; this is some kind of PR move, to get support for your eventual chief-dom, huh? That's smart; no better way to win hearts and mind than through stomachs. Gives you a softer image from just pure warriorness, but doesn't compromise your aura of strength to any extent. Very clever."

Topaz chuckled. "You could say that I suppose. Well, have fun!"
Savalia (played by Kim)

Her pockets full of honey candy, Savalia thanked Topaz and wandered off to enjoy the rest of the festival.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Trick or Treat: Topaz

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus