Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » RP Inspired Stories

Darth_Angelus Moderator

The other day I was talking to someone about stories that were inspired by roleplaying. They were asking about some of the animated movies I've made and how I came up with the idea, so I explained how they were key moments in the life of a character I roleplay. We talked a bit about how that's been done with novels too.

So I was wondering if anyone here has done anything similar?
I did an animation or two in school with my characters. But one was really just nonsense stuff. I mostly write their lives out through the games I play with my friends. Like my ex-room mate and I will make characters and give them a backstory, but then its fun to role play that story out to completeness. Like Non Omnis Moriar on these boards is between two characters we made in college that we're fleshing their story out. But Otherwaise we draw comics about our characters who are intertwined and I have definately written a story or two on them :3
Kim Site Admin

Sometimes I use RP to inspire stories, but it's more like I workshop a character that I'm interested in by playing them for awhile to get a good sense of who they are and where they're coming from. Then I take them back to their own story and write something unrelated to what they actually did in the RP. Just the core personality stays intact.
I once did a background story on one of the characters I RP with, for school.
Sometimes things will inspire me, but usually I don't write RP-inspired stories because the characters in the RP are just so awesomely played by their players that I can't even hope to reach that level of awesome if I included their character.

I do, however, know someone who has taken some characters from a dream on Furcadia I'm in, and written a sort of story about them if they were in modern living times. It's pretty neat.
http://chloe-alexandre.deviantart.com/gallery/26664087#/d2zclvb
There's the first of it. So I suppose that would be an RP-inspired story?
I used to have really amazing RPs that I used to blab about all the time, if that counts.
And I wrote a story about my character Eltyn for mythology class once rofl
Darth_Angelus Topic Starter Moderator

It all counts, I'm just curious to see who else does this :)
You're not the only one :3
Totally do this too. :D
Does it count if I'm actually in the process of writing an entire book aeries about one of my characters? Granted the RP inspired stuff doesn't start till the third book but still. Heh.
My friend and I have created more than one hundred characters between us. Before we found RP sites online, we would write stories about them together, establishing their personalities, backstories and current lives. We used modern/fantasy/western and demonic settings.

I like the nature of RP, of being able to bounce ideas of each other and have your character react to characters outside of your personal control. My friend shares my interest but also writes her own stories about her characters. She explains that she uses the writing we do together to help her learn more about her character's motivations etc.

I have written a story exclusively aboutsome of my characters for a school assignment, however, were I not under pressure to produce a short story, I certainly wouldn't have done so. I prefer to keep my characters as a hobby and little distraction/stress relief. I can't imagine them paying my rent in the form of books, television, movies.
Lance2011 wrote:
Does it count if I'm actually in the process of writing an entire book aeries about one of my characters? Granted the RP inspired stuff doesn't start till the third book but still. Heh.

I once wrote 24 pages in microsoft word in 10 font---which for me being riddled with ADD and all is a feat--- about my main character Rin. Of course, that was when I was like 14 and I have since scrapped the entire thing because I hated it. It was like 7 chapters.... I would love to have the attention span as well as the endurance to deal with something I've written long enough to actually write a book. Good Luck Lance :P

Lance2011 wrote:

Nice! Good luck! :D

I'm really glad I started this thread, there have been some really interesting posts from everyone :)
Well thus far I only got about 3 chapters in the first 3 books wrote. And the way it's looking now in the end I predict it's gonna be a 4 book series. The first 2 books cover a bit before his birth through his training up to his early to mid 20's. The third one is gonna consist of written tales of his rp journeys and the 4th is gonna continue off the third. Kinda like how shows go through story arcs. If anyone wants a can post like little intro for the books thus far. Or send em via pm or something.
Lance2011 wrote:
Well thus far I only got about 3 chapters in the first 3 books wrote. And the way it's looking now in the end I predict it's gonna be a 4 book series. The first 2 books cover a bit before his birth through his training up to his early to mid 20's. The third one is gonna consist of written tales of his rp journeys and the 4th is gonna continue off the third. Kinda like how shows go through story arcs. If anyone wants a can post like little intro for the books thus far. Or send em via pm or something.

That would be cool, actually. I think I have my horrible story on my deviant art if anyone is interested laughing at it :D I want to re-redit Non Omnis Moriar into a novel, it would be fun.

Please to post links :)

Here's mine, don't let the visual quality of the first two put you off :)
Here, you may not in any way maim me for the horror of this story. I apparently only posted the first two chapter on DeviantArt.

A Bloody Path to Walk: A Vow for Revenge
A Bloody Path to Walk: Just in Time

Here is one of those Animation I was talking about. The animating itself really isn't... Well It's not my strong suit. But I was still relatively pleased with it. The story is a little hard to follow because I had to do this within deadlines. It's about two of my fallen Angels and why they fell. (These characters are soon to be posted on my second account "Abaddon")

Abaddon
darth_angelus wrote:
Please to post links :)

Here's mine, don't let the visual quality of the first two put you off :)

Do you build your characters and worlds yourself?
Crysamei wrote:
My friend and I have created more than one hundred characters between us. Before we found RP sites online, we would write stories about them together, establishing their personalities, backstories and current lives. We used modern/fantasy/western and demonic settings.

I like the nature of RP, of being able to bounce ideas of each other and have your character react to characters outside of your personal control. My friend shares my interest but also writes her own stories about her characters. She explains that she uses the writing we do together to help her learn more about her character's motivations etc.

I have written a story exclusively aboutsome of my characters for a school assignment, however, were I not under pressure to produce a short story, I certainly wouldn't have done so. I prefer to keep my characters as a hobby and little distraction/stress relief. I can't imagine them paying my rent in the form of books, television, movies.

Oh man, that sounds really fun. And makes me nostalgic xD
There's only one small problem with me posting links to mine... What is done on the computer isn't on a website and my comp is being stupid. Thus I'm doing all my work on this site from my phone. Sooo...we'll do this. So people ain't gotta read a crap ton of imagination that comes from my brain as well as other brains...if ya wanna read what I got on mine so far just pm me and tell me how much of what I got so far ya want. Ya know. Little teaser trailer thing all of it intro and so forth and I'll gladly give myself I guess you can call it texteds cramp since I'll be doing it on my phone, to send it to ya.

f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
Do you build your characters and worlds yourself?

In those particular videos, not so much. I did retexture quite a few characters but I didn't do any modelling on them. With episode 3 and especially 4, I did design a lot of the environments, the space scenes mostly.

More recent projects contain a lot more of my own designs, as I've been learning how to do that :)

Lance2011, feel free to send me a chapter :)

f0x1nth3b0x, I'll be checking out your work, especially your animation this evening :)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » RP Inspired Stories

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus