Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Pet Peeve

Asroc

Katia wrote:
Oh I got a couple!

1. Completely disregarding an important attribute of your character. For example the character has exceptionally hearing and the other person expects to be able to literally charge up to them on horseback and put a sword at their throat. No words like "attempt" or "tries" either.

2. They disregard your post in a fighting scene. Example: They try to attack your character with a sword the size of Cloud's when your character is not only behind them, but their character is also on horseback. Then they try to justify it by saying that their character could backswing the sword. As in backswing it like it was a golf club...

I have seen this allot with rookie RPers and the"Sore loser" type Rpers. It gets heated when the person who does those things gets called out, they throw a fit In character and Out of character. It reminded me of some n00b in an RP chat long ago where all they typed was "You miss and hit a wall".

Yeah.. pbbhhttt.

I have seen things from rookie RPers who have terrible OCs who dislike taking hits or getting harmed, because they don't want their precious OOC feelings hurt.

I dislike OOC drama in general. I think we all do. If anyone ever encountered OOC drama where a player would hate on someone's character for how they act is what grinds my gears. I have a couple characters who aren't exactly friendly. Viper is one of them and well.. Asroc? It takes him a while to warm up to someone.

I said this before. I don't like people berating on others for what they play as. I am a canon Rper who accepts OCs. I seen OC Rpers berate Canon Players and the other way around.

One thing I don'tlike. It's a nitpick is when someone uses Dues Ex Machina in an RP. Or something stupid. I once seen someone's house burn down in an RP and they lost all their photos. So what happens here?

Other person magically gives them their photos and says that the ones burned were fake.

Yeah. No.
Pomkeki

Edit: Forget it
I can't say that there's anything that strictly peeves me re: roleplay and character semantics.
SeraphicStar

Hey guys, popping in to say a few words!

We've had a Pet Peeves thread before, and unfortunately things got pretty heated. Some people were put on the defensive because they felt like the things they enjoyed in RP were considered "wrong" and being outright bashed by others. Participants started getting pretty disrespectful and some members' posts and characters were even called out directly as examples of "pet peeves". We ended up having to lock that thread due to how out of hand it got, and the amount of negativity and disrespect taking place.

Due to that precedent, we the mods are going to keep an eye on this thread. So, please don't get too dismissive of these "pet peeves", as there are many people out there that enjoy what you don't, and their enjoyment of these things is just as valid as your dislike for them :)

For now we'll leave the thread be, as long as everyone can remain respectful of other people's preferences. We're entrusting you guys to not fall into the same pitfalls as the previous thread did and to play nice. Prove us right!
Asroc

Pomkeki wrote:
This just popped into my head and I think someone already kind of mentioned this, but...
I strongly dislike "good looking" characters.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my idea of beauty is very different than the norm, especially when it comes to men. Rather than actually describing qualities about the way their character looks, some people will make a post that says "so-and-so looks sexy" or "so-and-so giggles cutely". I feel like whether or not something is sexy, pretty, cute, or whatever is too subjective to actually use those words in roleplay. It's almost like meta-gaming my character's opinion.

If someone focuses too much on the way their character looks, forces my character to think their character is drop dead gorgeous, or presents a character with little to no qualities apart from their looks, I lose interest and drop out really fast.

You mean purple prose? I don't mind some description, it's always nice, but too much detail makes me bored after a while. I honestly don't need to read what their shoe size is or how many hairs are on their head.

This was common in Gaia back in the day but when OOC overrides IC posts in an RP. I am not sure how Gaia RPs are nowadays, because I left it years ago due to being bored of it.
@Asroc: I think they mean something akin to: roleplayers just relying solely on the words, "cute," "sexy," "hot," etc. to describe the beauty of a character and not much else, instead of being a bit more descriptive and open-ended (Ex. "She laughed with a slight wheeze in every other breath."), thus giving respondents more to go on in terms of how the character is, letting them draw their own conclusions on if a person is cute, sexy, beautiful, or not to them/their character. I hope that makes some sense. ;w;

I could be wrong of course, but that's how I read it at first. I don't mind those kinds of characters too much, but I've always been a person to focus more on personality and chemistry. That's why I basically give short info on my characters' appearance and add a few visuals works and finer details that I may have missed while drawing them. The huge remainder of their profiles will always tend to focus on their personality, quirks, world-building, history, movesets, etc. But I do recognize that people can take a character, focus on looks at first, and leave how their personality is seemingly blank, so they can reveal it all in a roleplay, which works well for them.

@Seraph: There was? Well then, thanks for the heads up~
Asroc

LightSide-Lucree wrote:
@Asroc: I think they mean something akin to: roleplayers just relying solely on the words, "cute," "sexy," "hot," etc. to describe the beauty of a character and not much else, instead of being a bit more descriptive and open-ended (Ex. "She laughed with a slight wheeze in every other breath."), thus giving respondents more to go on in terms of how the character is, letting them draw their own conclusions on if a person is cute, sexy, beautiful, or not to them/their character. I hope that makes some sense. ;w;

I could of course be wrong, but that's how I read it at first. I don't mind those kinds of characters, but I've always been a person to focus more on personality and chemistry. That's why I basically give short info on my characters' appearance, add a few visuals works, and leave the rest of my profile for personality, quirks, world-building, history, etc. But I do recognize that people can take a character, focus on looks at first, and leave how their personality is seemingly blank, so they can reveal it all in a roleplay, which works well for them.

@Seraph: There was? Well then, thanks for the heads up~

Thanks for clearing that up!

And back then. There was a pet peeve topic, but it got heated.

On topic.

Minor. We may all have done this.

Accidently closed the browser or back button on a nice long post.
Speaking of which! If you've ever noticed me having this : "You must be able to type in at least basic English." (or some variation of that anyways.) in one of my RP proposals or in my RPs themselves, that is due to good reason. I absolutely can't stand it when people type like a cat's walking on their keyboard while in one of my RPs, unless it's on purpose or part of their character. Doing something such as that makes me not want to RP with you. Here are a few examples of what i'm talking about. : "hi there m8 how are u lol" (more like one but ye get the gist.) Now I can understand that if you're on a phone or something, but the LEAST you could do is capitalize your sentences and use periods and commas. I mean for pete's sake, I couldn't give less of a dung if your post is no more than three sentences. All I care about is that you don't make me cringe with your use of shorties and internet slang.

I've seen award winning posts come from people who use phones to RP, and I even at least try to make my posts look decent if i'm ever RPing from one, so I expect you to put at least a little bit of effort into it like I do mine. Sorry if i'm sounding a bit harsh, but it's the truth.

On another note, poorly done and bare bones character profiles irk me also. It makes me think that if you just do the bare minimum and don't go out of your way to give basic detail to what your characters look like, what they wear, what they use, what items or abilities they have, etc, it's going to reflect in your posts, or you're young and/or inexperienced. That's the vibes I get anyways.
The best way to solve these is to voice what's bothering you with your rp partner(s). They won't get sore if you explain in a non-accusatory way and if you've been talking and rping with one another for a while they'll respect your honesty.
Asroc

Ghostiel wrote:
The best way to solve these is to voice what's bothering you with your rp partner(s). They won't get sore if you explain in a non-accusatory way and if you've been talking and rping with one another for a while they'll respect your honesty.

It does help, because I been in a few spats in my past with some disobeying RPers in some RPs before. However, if they can't cooperate, I just walk away, since whatever I would say would go over their heads. I try not to have others help me in issues unless my fellow peers ask.
Asroc wrote:
Ghostiel wrote:

It does help, because I been in a few spats in my past with some disobeying RPers in some RPs before. However, if they can't cooperate, I just walk away, since whatever I would say would go over their heads. I try not to have others help me in issues unless my fellow peers ask.

Yeah it can be touchy. Next best thing is definitely walking away cause there are lots of rper fish in the sea. 🐟🐟🐟
Asroc

Ghostiel wrote:
Asroc wrote:
Ghostiel wrote:

Yeah it can be touchy. Next best thing is definitely walking away cause there are lots of rper fish in the sea. 🐟🐟🐟

That's what I did on another forum, due to there was no sense talking to the person to solve an issue.
Pomkeki

Edit: Forget it
ilovedogs260 Topic Starter

Novalyyn wrote:
I'd actually encourage you to politely point out issues like that - you may have found someone else who just doesn't know. ^^; I know I felt pretty dumb when I realized what I'd done, and I wished someone had corrected me before the story started.

Well, I'll try in the future :) I don't know if people intentionally do that, though. Like it might be part of their creativity. I also don't want to seem rude... Or creepy. I tend to just surf the site when I get bored, and I think a pm from a random person would be like "Where did they come from?" XD
ilovedogs260 Topic Starter

SeraphicStar wrote:
Due to that precedent, we the mods are going to keep an eye on this thread. So, please don't get too dismissive of these "pet peeves", as there are many people out there that enjoy what you don't, and their enjoyment of these things is just as valid as your dislike for them :)

For now we'll leave the thread be, as long as everyone can remain respectful of other people's preferences. We're entrusting you guys to not fall into the same pitfalls as the previous thread did and to play nice. Prove us right!

Thank you guys :) I don't want something hateful on here because I love RPRs friendly environment, so if I found it getting that way, I'd ask for it to be removed, but I'm not on all the time, so you guys' eyes are greatly appreciated. That's a really long sentence >.>

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Pet Peeve

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus