Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Swells of Rage (Open)

Tye (played by Iltheyn) Topic Starter

The thief idly twirled his dagger in his hand, listening to what the manservant had to add. His lips drew into a thin line at the comment of Taff's potential injury but Tye was not one to deny someone their own experiences... unless of course, they were just that crazy. This time it came close, but it wasn't enough to stir his protest. The druid would heal on his own.

"I'll speak with'em. I think after th' food thing y' ticked Rin off. Methinks it would be better to 'ave some pirate friends, rather than pretend ye're all prisoners or leave them out in th' woods... still. Its up t' them." And though he left it unspoken, the boy understood that blood would need to be shed for him to win his disguise. It was not a choice Tye was quick to make; he thought of alternate plans, winning fitting garb from other swashbucklers in deals or perhaps by leaving them somewhere else in the jungle, bound... but with their current resources those plans were too needlessly risky. His eyes grew unfocused for a moment.

He stood and traveled toward the entrance of the grove. Tye was willing to wait for the others to return, though it stressed him a bit to think that they might not. Though the only person he knew was Mark they were in this together now, so any loss would be significant.

_

"Uh..." The older man thought on her inquiry about Tye for a few seconds before smirking. "I think it'll be fine. He only hates the rich-- which none of us are, at the moment." Mark wondered if Sirina did possess much at home, in passing, and figured that dropping a hint on his fellow slave's biases might help her overall. He followed along but found less luck in spotting Arianna than the others. When his companion asked why she was hiding it thus took him a moment of looking around to see her. Once he did, Mark blushed with embarrassment but steeled himself to the newcomer. She could be a pirate, just like any other stranger on the island.

Neatly and without sudden movements, the older slave deposited his cargo to the floor and watched the woman's body language closely. As she described what she was doing he quirked a brow. "That's the definition of spying." the older man muttered. He seemed not to find issue understanding her interest in Xochi but found it nonetheless unwelcome.

"Firstly, Xochi is no bird, though..." He glanced at the coatl dragon. "I could see why you'd be confused. I've seen birds with that plumage." He smiled at the dragon, keen on conveying that it was a compliment. Then he looked back at the newcomer. "And secondly, nobody here will be eating her. Now, who are you, and where are you from?" Mark remained straightened but poised for potential action, should this meeting grow sour.

_

Tris explored the jungle floor for a while longer before being found by one of the pirates who went in search of him. They spoke of Merthyr's capture but without his manservant the master-of-arms was not satisfied. He would order his men again to search the brush while he questioned their prize slave.

The man soon after arrived in the pirate den, just as Chowder was trying to figure out the logistics of imaginary go-fish aloud next to the king. The babbling pirate shut his mouth upon his superior's arrival and shrunk away from Tydfil, giving Goff a wide berth as the other man walked up to Merthyr, scowling.

"I trust you did not have to wait long, filth?" He asked rhetorically. "Don't think I've forgotten your pet. We will retrieve him soon... for now, the two of us will be having a conversation in my room." The master-of-arms glanced at the other pirates, ordering them to bring them there for an undoubtedly lovely discussion.
"Yes of course, as you command, master..." nodded Merthyr following Triss wherever appointed.

"What is it you wish to discuss and talk about, sir?" Quizzed Merthyr walking briskly behind Triss preferring to go willingly than be forcefully dragged there

"Well it's your idea so we shall do as you suggest" agreed Taff

"Let's hope the others agree" nodded Taff
Hiding her initial reaction to Mark's revelation on Tye's hatred of rich people, Sirina merely allowed a small smile to lift her lips, causing her features to soften with femininity momentarily. Well, she would cross that bridge with the thief if it ever came up. If not, then he would unknowingly have befriended one of those he claimed to hate. The thought appealed to her.

As Mark turned to address the newcomer, Sirina felt the question adequate, wanting to know the answer as well. Her own body language would speak more than words of her opinion of the woman thus far, in wanting to eat the dragon around her shoulders. She turned away slightly as to create a more difficult angle to hit the creature, should this newcomer have a long range weapon hidden somewhere.

Feeling a sudden rush of impatience she struggled to keep the feeling from showing, though it may have slipped into her form slightly as she shifted somewhat from one foot to the next. Her glance went up to the canopy above, her face growing wet with precipitation. At this rate her secret would tell itself once they reached the haven and rejoined the others. Perhaps that wouldn't be so bad. Mark had already guessed after all. With a sudden pang Sirina missed her long hair, and the freedom which came from embracing who she really was. Soon, she would regain that.
Arianna Wyss (played by Freyera)

The deluge was relenting, the skies sputtering out the final few droplets of water that chased the clouds as they drifted onward. Another squall would be coming around shortly, but for now, it was a reprieve. With no small effort, she had managed to keep all but her shoes dry thanks to the large frond she held aloft, a task she would have been proud of given the chance to reflect on such things. Presently she was preoccupied with bargaining with whomever owned this bird. Without the grey sheen to blanket her vision, she could clearly see them now. Both of them. Opportunity was knocking. Or at the very least, lightly rapping its fingers against the door. She needed to drag it inside and lock it in a closet before the next downpour blew through and drove it away.

And what precisely was that opportunity again? Without the rain she lost any advantage she had to be difficult to track, no matter if she advanced or retreated. The other person, decidedly male, was quickly taking charge of the situation and drawing her attention away from her object of interest. Meanwhile, the one who held the bird hadn't said a word. Perhaps he... she... was subordinate to the other? Her focus shifted to him cautiously, though she still kept the other in her peripheral vision. At least they both seemed amiable enough, perhaps too much so to be pirates. Maybe not all was lost in this endeavor just yet.

She began her approach slowly towards the empty area between the two, showing her free hand to them so they would see she was unarmed, or at least had no intentions to draw her sword. The other was carrying her canopy, which she could supposed she might be able to use in a pinch if they decided to turn on her, however unlikely that was seeming at the moment. Pirates didn’t normally make this sort of small talk. “Come on now, friend. That is clearly a bird. It has wings. It has feathers. It is seated on a shoulder. It has exotic coloring. It is large. It just hissed. It… just… scales?” She did a double take and stopped, turning her head to face the creature. She had yet to meet a bird that hissed. Or had scales. That would define a snake. Except snakes don’t have wings. Her mouth moved to formulate a few extra observations, but found no words adequate to fill the void.

Confusion robbed her of her ability to respond to the inquiries that were directed at her identity. She had to know what the creature was, and feet would begin making a beeline towards the person that held it. “Okay. I... I erm... So that might not be a bird. Or it's a really exotic one. What species is it? Can it fly? Are there more? Does it have a nest around here? Xochi? Is it your pet?” Curiosity dragged her mind away like it was just a petulant child in need of disciplining. At least caution would still prevent her from getting too close, making careful notes about the capacity of the others to fight, or from the looks of it, lack thereof. They could still be pirates.
Xochi (played by Beetlebelle)

The Coatl dragon was comforted by Sirina’s and Mark’s attempt to dissuade the newcomer on eating her, but her remained in her position, her large golden eyes were still fixed on the stranger. Xochi stayed oddly quiet as she watched, the only movement she made came from her serpentine tongue as it flicked in and out. Her natural curiosity was dampened by caution as dragon could sense that this one was a fighter…but she smelled different than the pirates on the island.

From her companion’s reactions it was clear they did not know her. As the female now walked directly towards her and Sirina and began her stream of questions the dragon tensed further. Thought’s of poachers flashed through her mind and the specific questions directed towards herself caused her to shift about uneasily. Xochi pressed a little closer to Sirina, making herself small for the time being; still coiled in a pose that would allow her to defend herself should she get within striking distance. She waited for Mark’s questions to be answered, though the human seemed to ignore them for the time being.

The thief nodded at Taff and shuffled his feet near the mouth of the cave entrance. To distract himself from the settling boredom, he crouched down and started cutting shallow marks into the damp soil beneath them.

_

Mark cautiously stepped closer to Arianna, hoping to form a barrier between her and his two companions. He had no doubt that they were capable but was driven by impulse anyway. "Focus." He said. "Who are you?" The older man would try to place a hand on her shoulder should she ignore his second attempt at asking to focus on the beast.

_

Tris waved at his subordinates when Merthyr was drawn safely inside his room, speaking up to one as the others left. "Not you. You stay." The other pirate (unfortunately not the friendly Chowder) turned back around and nodded to Goff, obeying his command without question to linger near the elusive king.

The master-at-arms sat down crisply, propping his mud-caked boots up on an empty section of his desk. "Tell me. What were you hoping to accomplish with your escape? Because if you think that you're helping yourself or your servant by doing so you are sorely mistaken." The man drew the aforementioned whip from beneath his desk and laid it along his chest, perfectly comfortable as he considered how best to use it.

(short post this time around.)

Concern for her continued well being would forcibly drag her curiosity back into its cage eventually, even if it would only wait until the final moment to intervene. After all, it was nothing if not dramatic. “Yea… yea…” She scarcely acknowledged the male, waving a hand dismissively until her peripheral vision confirmed that his approach had not ceased. If he was brave enough to approach a stranger, he was probably competent in a fight. She would have to withdraw. “Okay, fine. Yes. What.” Irritation was the first response to bubble to the surface under the ocean of curiosity that was now safely behind bars.

The weird creature was still riding comfortably atop her list of things to investigate now, but there were more pressing matters to attend too. Like a hand that had just found her shoulder that she had failed to notice. She stopped and looked down at it with the same incredibility one might expect from seeing a ghost. Eyes followed the arm up to where it was attached, and then onto the face that guided it there. “Come on, now. We can’t just go around touching people without permission. We got laws against that sort of thing back home. See, that’s my shoulder.” The arm opposite of the side he was on dropped the frond and raised to point at where his hand was. “And you got two of your own.” It turned and wiggled back and forth in the general direction of his chest. “If shoulders are really the sort of thing you’re into, feel free to touch your own. I’ll even watch.” Part of her actually wanted to see that. It was the same part still locked away.

“Now that we’ve established some comfortable boundaries, I should think we can get back to more pressing affairs. Like whatever that is.” She jerked her head back towards the creature. “On that g-” Her brow furrowed. Eyes that had been intent on whatever it was perched atop a shoulder, now moved down to that shoulder, across the face, and then slowly down the front of the attached body, making no attempt to hide what she was looking for. They trekked with a slow thorough intent all the way down to the feet before rebounding back up at the same pace, ending only when she found the eyes of the other. “-uy…” Distance persisted in robbing her of clarity. Another confusing thing to add to a list that was growing by the minute.

She added a few extra bars across the door curiosity was locked inside of. “Right then, you’re probably wondering if I’m a pirate. I’ve been wondering the same thing myself for a few days now and I reckon I don’t have an answer yet. How about you upstanding Gentlemen? Be you pirates? Slaves? Pygmies? Native tribal warriors? Farmers?” She needed to stop. “Hunters? Herbalists? Cultists? Treasure seekers? Rain dancers?” She really need to stop. Just one more. “I got it!” Fingers snapped. “You’re druids trying to protect the wildlife from poachers, and that’s just one more endangered species that is being threatened? That’s it isn’t it? I knew it.”

At the very least, they seemed harmless enough. Pirates generally didn’t give her the time of day to run her mouth. Shame too, as it was a favorite pastime of hers. She could relax a little, and begin devising new a plan on what to do about her ailing stomach. There would be no claiming that creature, which was probably a good thing. It was exotic. That same term was used in fancy restaurants and to describe absurdly shaped statues, both of which were very disagreeable with her gut. All that was left to do, then, was talk her way out of this situation.
Merthyr paused at length staring at Triss quietly, his lips pursed as his eyes briefly fixed upon the whip cautiously, before returning to stare at the man somewhat weary.

"Well... I seldom indulge in answering questions but if you really must know... master... I left this building in order to take care of my royal duty, which is to secure the crown and kingdom by naming my heir to the throne. See... upon my arrival here, it was clear I might not be walking out of this one alive...and... given I have no wife or children, I have no other direct heir left besides my cousin Henry Morgan... the treacherous rat..." described Merthyr twitching his lips in disgust at barely naming the man.

"So... I made it my priority to name my faithful servant your next future king by handing him my royal seal and helped him go into hiding. You can address Taff as your royal highness henceforth until such time as the ring is returned to me" instructed Merthyr

"In case your knowledge is limited, the royal seal is this chunky ring needed to mark all royal written decrees, especially the one needed to name Sir Henry Morgan my governor and ambassador. Now... I know for a fact the three months following to my father's death are coming to an end and Sir Henry Morgan has less than a week left to ensure he reaches Port Royal and is appointed the governor, without the ring in my hands, the written parchment will never bear the required royal mark so his written appointment can never happen at all, nevermind on time" mused Merthyr turning to a portray of his father hanging on the wall, gazing at the painted ring.

"At least until I have a wife and child, which is not going to happen, should I die here in this forsaken island, Taff stands to inherit the throne... and... unless you find the ring quickly... Morgan stands to loose in his power-grabbing plans once and for all. No more treacherous pirates posing as concerned noble governors and commanding my navy or my kingdoms on my behalf any more" concluded Merthyr decided to not lie about it arms crossed resting against his chest

"He could drag me out to Port Royal for a public announcement perhaps, but I very much doubt it... it would be most foolish of him to do so for you would all be walking into the most heavily guarded city, straight to the hangman's noose..." mused Merthyr

"Any other questions or am I free to return to menial work and servant chores like the rest of slaves around here?" quizzed Merthyr

Taff continued to gather scattered small logs and twigs piling them by the camp fire, making another one close to the altar, a little further apart from the first. A warlock or a druid's place was indeed at the service of the spirits after all... it also helped ease tension in case Rin still felt unease at his presence. The two fires would allow them to keep apart yet all warm, not one to impose his presence upon others.

Taff used stones and dried twigs, frictioning one against the other and some dried leaves, after much effort, he finally got it lit up and busied himself feeding logs and twigs to the hot embers on one side and the small flames on the other. Certainly servants always found plenty of work to be done wherever they went and he was a principled warlock wherever possible he refrained from using magic.

Once the warmth made the cold place more comfortable, he went back to using vines to weave baskets for collecting fruit in case the group had not managed to find much, unusure if they would under the dire storm

"Let's hope they're not harmed on their way here, if climbing was treacherous then, it will be all the more slippery now with all the water and mud, maybe we should weave and braid thick vines to make makeshift ropes just in case" muttered Taff as soon as the fruit was collected, keeping the food warm and covered with large leaves before focusing on safety as well, his hand occasionally discreetly clutching the royal treasure for dear life.
Sirina had been growing ever more impatient, her gaze lingering on the woman who now blathered on, one hand going up to Xochi as the dragon moved a bit tighter upon her shoulder. Granted, it might have been nice in other circumstances to find another woman upon this infernal island, there was strength in numbers after all, yet for now Sirina had other things on her mind. After the woman gave her body a thorough perusal, which caused a wry smile to twist Rin's lips, she decided the woman for now held no ill intentions towards the small party, unsure if she could even remember what her intentions were given the seeming state of her mind. Not feeling the need to clarify her own gender, Sirina shrugged and turned to head away, thinking perhaps Xochi might like to get out from under the hungry gaze of the stranger.

Leaving a capable Mark to handle things if he cared to, Sirina first bent to pick up the dropped coconuts before beginning to retrace her path slowly, giving Mark the chance to stop her should he deem her presence necessary to help handle the new piece in their equation.

If he should say nothing, Sirina would continue on, keeping an eye out for any edible looking tubers as her bare feet slipped through the soft jungle overgrowth. Branches now soggy from from a drenching brushed against her, further wetting her already damp clothing. The rain seemed as if it would begin once again at any moment, the storm waxing and waning as it crashed on its way, but now Sirina felt less of a pressing concern over finding cover from the downpour.

Her arms comfortably laden with coconuts, Sirina felt the urge to take a few short detours, curious about the island. As she moved along each path she made sure to commit the turns to memory so that her chances of getting lost were a bit slimmer. Brushing a dripping section of hair from where it hung in her eyes, she flicked her gaze up to Xochi, a soft sigh finally escaping her as the jungle enclosed them. "I bet you know this place well..." she murmered. Then a thought popped into her head. "Might you already know which direction the pirate base is? I wish to avoid it as much as possible, yet finding a likely boat seems necessary." Her voice was soft as she didn't wish the woman still not far back to overhear, nor any other possible intruders. Her mind returned to those left at the sanctuary, and she wondered if Tye had enjoyed the food conjured by Taff's magic. Perhaps she had been a bit hasty in her leaving...
((OOC: Waiting for Xochi ))

((Oh wow. Yeah, that's longer than I thought. If a post doesn't pop up today I'll reply. Beetlebelle, you can still post afterwards if i do reply before you, I just don't want this thread to die. Sorry.))

Tye wrote:
((Oh wow. Yeah, that's longer than I thought. If a post doesn't pop up today I'll reply. Beetlebelle, you can still post afterwards if i do reply before you, I just don't want this thread to die. Sorry.))

(( Ack sorry! I will post today, got caught up with other things))

Xochi relaxed as Sirina moved themselves further from the odd woman, her muscles slackening with obvious relief when the intrusive stranger was out of sight. As they made their way through the jungle, the dragon would occasionally slip off the girl’s shoulders to inspect things that caught her attention; mostly bloomed flowers or brightly colored objects. She flitted back to Sirina and settled comfortably back on her shoulders and tilted her head when spoken to.

The dragon kept her voice hushed so that only Sirina could hear, incase the other woman was within listening distance. “I know it well enough. As for the Pirates, it is easy to know where they are located by their… strong scent.” If the dragon could have wrinkled her nose she would have, though the distain in her voice was enough to let her opinion be known. “Their base is further away from here, in that direction if I remember right." She turned her head to look to the far right of where they stood for a moment before continuing, "-but I would still be wary of scouts.”

Tye continued working on his dirt art, occupied enough not to mind the passage of time. He glanced back first to watch Taff build his new fire, then again when he thought he heard the man mutter.The thief quirked a brow but looked away again when Gelligan didn't attempt to get his attention, flicking some damp soil from his dagger. He'd have to sharpen it after this. Maybe at the den.

_

Mark's face underwent a series of changes as the newcomer wove her long-winded response. Initially, he was impassive, expectant of a point. Then his lips drew thin when she continued to dismiss him... but as she started to guess at what they were the older man couldn't help but smile. "Ridiculous," he murmured, hiding a snicker. After her final guess he shook his head. "If you're not going to focus, I'll make it simple."

Only then did he remove his hand from her shoulder, though he made no move to further the distance between them. "You can keep being vague as you want if you turn around, walk away and don't come back for us. If you don't go in the next three seconds, I'm taking you with me. Ok?" His voice was even, even a bit mirthful, but Mark meant every word. He didn't want an unlikely informant following them to a hiding spot. It was not necessarily the smartest to give her a chance at all, he thought, but the slave figured she was too scatterbrained to be a threat at the moment anyway.

If she departed as promised, he'd scan the brush around him for any signs of her before moving to follow Sirina. If not, well, this man spoke the truth; he'd try to pick her up and carry her with if he needed to. (Though how exactly that would go remains to be seen.)

_

Surprisingly, Tris did listen to what the defiant slave-king had to say. As he listened, his grip on the cat-o-nine-tails tightened enough for the leather of its handle to groan. "You're a fool." The sadistic master-at-arms rumbled. "Acting as if your legacy is secure. Your manservant will be found; he has no way off this island. And I will take special pleasure presenting your pretty little ring to the captain." The chair in which Goff sat creaked while he stood up. He grinned sadistically.

"Well, I suppose congratulations are in order for one thing. You're going to be starring a show, today, forty-six." Tris gestured and the lingering pirate moved to grab Merthyr, intent on pulling him outside with the master-at-arms behind them.

Her attention was now torn in two. The other person with the object of the majority of her interest was moving away, and with this man so close obstructing her passage, she could scarcely follow. At least not physically, eyes still gave persistent chase, focused on the creature but given minimal reign to observe how the other walked, hoping it would be telling as to their identity. Exasperated at having no such luck there either, she yelled after the other before the closest one too her had a chance to reply. “I’m just going to call you Casey since you didn’t give me a name! That’s a nice and neutral name!” She’d have to deal with another annoyance first.

His reply was not what she hoped for. He offered no information. “Absolutely atrocious behavior I would think.” She scoffed, raising her tone into a mock impression of someone much more proper and refined than she ever hoped to become. “One of you walks off, the other doesn’t even answer my questions. Where were you hooligans raised, on a ship?” Once his hand left her, she brushed the spot off with a few pointed slices of her palm, as if he had left anything on the fabric that entangled her. “I just wanted to ea-pet the critter. Pet. Yes.” A polite cough silenced her voice before that comment ran away from her.

Now what? That question was turning into a lifestyle more than a infrequent obstruction. Whatever plans she had with Calico Jack had long since been scattered to the winds of the storm, although her eventual goal with him remained the same. Problem was, it was difficult to work backwards from a location she hadn’t been too yet. There were no leads, and she’d much rather not get lost in some strange place trying to find one. These two were friendly enough, the next few might not be.

“Now see, you’re being unfair.” She accused with a curt huff of air. “I asked you first who you were.” Did she? That was much too long ago to keep track of. “You gotta give a little and take a little. But since that didn’t seem to work, I’m going to guess that you are, in fact, mystical forest druids and that… creature was your pet. Also mystical. Because forests. And your name is now… Frank. Frank and Casey. I can work with that.” A cursory nod of her head finalized the thought and cemented it into her mind.

Her few seconds had expired ages ago, and he was moving towards her with intent, though not the kind laden with malice. “And another thing, Casey, is that you don’t touch a lady unless she gives you permission.” A foot slipped underneath an errant twig and popped it skyward into her distant hand, the other coming around simultaneously to attempt to issue the lightest of slaps across his cheek. The tip was pointed outward and she would make an attempt to compress it into his chest. Whether she succeeded or not, her feet would carry her backwards until her arm was fully leveled against him and extended by the stick. “This is the range of my comfort bubble. You stay on that end of it, and we’ll be the best of friends.

“Given I have nowhere else pressing to be, lead on Forest Druid Casey. The rain will be back soon and I am in no mood to get wet. I assume you also have something analogous to food that is edible by a mere mortal such as myself. So, off you go. Chop chop. Sally forth. Tally ho. Vámonos.” Whether or not she had maintained that comfortable distance away, she would drop the stick if she still had it, regain her protective frond to raise it above her head, and stare expectantly at him.
Taff came over to Tye sitting across the youth and extended his closed fist before opening it close to Tye's face but not about to let the boy grasp the royal treasure

"I have not been able to explain all details to you in full yet, but, now that the chores are done and given that you are a my friend and a renouned thief, you must know the full burden that I carry on my shoulders at present...." muttered Taff opening the palm to show the royal seal, the chunky ring.

"This royal ring here is the royal seal. It was given to me by the king himself before he sent me to this wilderness. In case your knowledge is limited, the royal seal is this chunky ring needed to mark all royal written decrees, especially the one needed to name Sir Henry Morgan as the governor and ambassador, so they are legal and valid. Without the ring in king's hands, the written royal decrees he writes will never bear the required royal mark to make them law. Its wearer is also the regent king until it is returned to his majesty... and his successor should the king die without child or wife at least." explained Taff

"Morgan needs it, he needs Merthyr to have it, if he wants the king to pass laws, amend laws, appoint him as his representative..." pointed out Taff

"This ring must not be handed to the pirates at any cost, but if they somehow managed to lay hands upon it, I count on your light fingers to steal it back... a minor detail to our adventure." noted Taff letting him take a good look at the ring.

Merthyr swallowed hard letting the men do as they were told

"What sort of show, master?" quizzed Merthyr his voice tense as he followed, weary if worried at the man's intentions. He knew his escape would be a costly one but how costly was something he was not keen or eager to find out any time soon.
Sirina nodded thoughtfully to Xochi's words, her gaze going in the direction the small dragon had indicated. "Good to know. And yes... I wouldn't be surprised to find scouts out and about. Especially as they are sure to have Merthyr by now. At least he does not know where our sanctuary is, and thus cannot lead them there under torture other such means."

Sirina had not been walking fast, but she had finally turned to walk directly toward their small haven. The others would no doubt have caught up some if they'd set off soon after herself. Finally turning alongside the cliff, and looking for the waterfalls to mark the spot, Sirina turned into the cave and walked to the back where she pushed through into the haven.

Glancing around she spotted both Taff and Tye, moving toward them a small ways to drop her armload of fruits. Settling herself promptly beside them with a glance at the others, she pulled out her dagger and began the arduous task of trying to pry one open. The thick hull of the coconut seemed fairly unyielding though, and she cursed beneath her breath, the word neither ladylike, nor one she'd learned at the castle.

Her clothing would be fairly wet by now and she gave it not a second thought, though the swells of her breasts could no doubt be faintly noticed now beneath her tunic despite the bindings. Biting her lower lip she glanced about, trying to decide a better way to get the coconut open, rather than breaking her only knife upon it. Perhaps dropping it from somewhere high? She sighed, stomach gurgling plaintively. Blast her useless upbringing. At least she had a few more skills under her belt these days, no longer merely the flower on her doting father's arm.

If Xochi were still upon her shoulders she'd finally flick her gaze to the dragon. "Any suggestions?"

When the two arrived back and settled down besides the collected fruits, Xochi unwound herself from Sirina’s shoulders and coiled beside her. As the young lady used her knife ineffectively on the coconut husk the dragon sifted through the fruits until she found one of the larger mamey fruits that they collected, her thin forked tongue flickered out for a moment as the pupils of her large eyes dilated; as if recalling a fond memory.

The small dragon murmured, “tzapotl…” before looking back to Sirina and hefting up the fruit for the human to take. “Use your knife on this” She suggested, and waited until it was taken from her gasp. “-coconuts need more force to be opened, like a blunt tool or a rock upon it.” As she spoke the second part she began to position one of the coconuts so that the pointed end was angled up, and with one claw tapped on the tip of the shell to where it should be smashed.

When her explanation was finished, Xochi looked over towards Tye and Taff as a sparkling glint caught her attention. Her head tilted, curious as to what the warlock had in his hand, she slithered closer and, if permitted, would try to climb onto the man for a better look. "What is that?"
((OOC replied to Sirina for Mark to have more talk about ))

Taff let Xochi climb on his shoulders, brushing Xochi gently in appreciation.

"It's my best friend's inheritance and his family heirloom. Something only the king wears and I have to take back to Port Royal soon..." explained Taff fearing Merthyr would not walk out of this one alive without the ring. He closed the hand pocketting the item with a warm smile, intending no offence as he stored it away safely now that he was sure Tye had taken a good look at the ring to recover it should it go astray.

"I've kept the fire going to make your temple warm, see? I hope it pleases you..." smiled Taff feeding a few more twigs and logs to this more distant small camp fire which was closer to the altar, ever so pleased to serve the spirits in any way required. He took a few more logs and twigs for the other fire place where Sirina and the rest were, turning to bring the wood over.

"My kin, glad you made it back, saf...." trailed off Taff swallowing hard at noticing Sirina actually being a woman, a clear uncomfortable blush and bright red cheeks at the immodesty in sight, now that the rain had revealed more than the woman clearly intended to.

Taff's memories flooded back to the royal portrays on the castle walls that he had dusted one too many times, knowing the face and age, all too well, swallowing hard yet again as he respectfully came over to Sirina, lowering a knee against the cold ground, head lowered in reverence.

"Your highness... allow me to ...er... serve thee... princess Sirina Zelenthia... its... its an honor... to... to make... your acquaintance... albeit the circumstance... your royal highness" mumbled Taff making an effort to not stare at her, courteously offering her his coat for warmth and modesty, trying to tame the stammering as best as he could though he was clearly not used to contact with women at all, never mind scantily dressed ones.

Out of respect, he averted his gaze at ground, focusing on feeding the wood to the fire, collecting the coconuts and breaking them open with two stones, a heavier one to act as a hammer and a thinner but sharper stone to act like a chissel, careful to break it open without spilling the juice so as to offer half of it to her and half to Xochi, Xochi for being the host and Sirina because of her royal background taking preference over the rest of them

Tye's head lifted as Taff approached him and opened his hand. His eye caught on the signet ring but he could tell by the tension in the man's hand that he had no intention of letting the thief touch it. At first this made sense, so he focused on listening to the druid's words. Then, as tension remained in said hand, the boy's lips drew into a thin line. He was playing nice so far but it was the little things that eventually incited this slave's ire. There was no reason for him to steal the ring in the given circumstances and he resented being mistaken for a mindless pickpocket, especially in the face of someone he held his own reservations about. He managed to push his irritation aside, letting some of his own stiffness release with a small chuckle. "T' be honest, I don't care how well yer kingdom does. I'm jus' doin' this for the here an' now; an' in the here an' now, we're cookin' on some island with filthy pirates who can shove it. I'll keep it in mind, though."

As Sirina arrived, the thief only gave her a glance before returning to his idle sketching, though he did notice that there was something different. He lifted his knife from the soil, considering this and then doing a double-take. Just in time to see Taff realize the same thing he had. Ah! So Rin was a girl all along. Very well...

...As the druid started blushing and fumbling, Tye realized this matter would be conflated somehow. He did hear the man address Sirina, at least-- wait, a princess? Oh no. The slave squeezed his eyes shut, rubbing the bridge of his nose. Royalty meant privilege, and privilege meant inexperience with practical pursuits. This thief did not want to babysit someone, so he looked up again and studied her further. Maybe he isn't giving her enough credit?

It was some consolation that she focused on preparing that food, at least. It meant that even if she didn't know how to do much outside a ship that she could be a quick learner. Perhaps he'd bring her in on his plans of insurrection after all-- not without some practice, at least.

Tye rose from his seat and approached Xochi and Rin, giving Taff an amused, if critical stare along the way. "So," he addressed the dragon and princess. "Ever use th' knife before? Y'know... on somethin' that isn't inanimate."

_

Mark was not quick to listen to the stranger's complaints on the matter, though he did continue to smirk as she named him Casey. "Trust me, that wouldn't be the first time I--" that was the second a twig grazed his cheek. He looked a bit surprised and then amused again. "...Oh, you'll have to pardon me. I've been spending so much time picking up boxes that I forget not to pick up people." How very dad joke of him. The older slave scanned her again, failing to find what he was looking for and fretting a bit as a result. "You'll understand if I don't really want to turn my back on a stranger. I see now that a compromise must be made." He scratched his chin. What would assure him that there was nothing foul at play?

The only thing he could think of was them walking side-by-side; unfortunately the jungle was too dense in places to allow for that. Still, it was better than nothing. "Would a lady mind holding hands?" He asked, laced both with jest and the slightest frustration.

_

Goff's lip twitched as they moved out of his quarters. He waved one of the swashbucklers to him, leaning toward them and murmuring something. He pat their shoulder and sent them on their way; to report Merthyr's earlier revelations to Calico, Blackbeard and Morgan. He had no doubt that orders would follow, though exactly what eluded him, beyond additional searches. Certainly, Henry Morgan would not be pleased.

Tris did not worry about his master's concerns just yet; there was a lesson to be learned. He lead the slave-king and his captor to the cold ruins of a campfire, kicking the ashen wood aside and pointing at the soot-covered floor. "Kneel him there." The pirate holding forty-six complied. The master-at-arms' presence attracted the attention of others in camp; the countless eyes of criminals and slaves alike, watching the man pace around the king like a cat.

"Forty-six. You have disobeyed the rules this master-at-arms has laid out for you. You've spoken out of turn, tried to flee, and have stolen property belonging to your masters. Now, it is time for you to be punished." Tris announced, so that all who watched might hear them. "Ten lashes." If the man had been using a regular whip it would have been twenty-five; but the cat more than compensated for the seemingly lenient amount he chose to impart. The man stopped behind Merthyr, gesturing at the pirate who accompanied them; the pirate seemed to understand, drawing his saber to stretch in front of the king, a warning against any more defiant ideas.

"Your punishment begins now!

One!"

The master-at-arms raised his whip, snapping it down toward the slave-king's back. And if there was no interruption he would continue to do so nine more times, announcing each sequentially, as promised.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Swells of Rage (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus