Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Swells of Rage (Open)

anon (played anonymously)

Sir Henry Morgan looked wide eyed checking the slave's features for a split second, his eyes bulging out as he recognized the slave right away, the king himself, standing at his presence shackled. In his shock at the revelation, he spluttered the mouthful of liquor spitting it all over Merthyr.

Merthyr, being but a slave, knew very well that he was not permitted to move unless instructed to or speak unless when spoken to. He braced himself for the incident. He scrunched his face, closed his eyes tightly and clenched his teeth and fists, staying still all the same, awaiting what was about to happen, unable to step away from the incoming spat liquid that showered his face and clothes, quite disgustingly, straight out from the governor's mouth. Certainly not the encounter he was looking forward to.

"Your majesty! What on earth are you doing here?!" gasped Morgan wide eyed in horror at being caught red handed as a pirate, the king having overheard all his plans first hand for himself, and all the more astounded at the king was a slave altogether, his slave at that. "Sire, I honestly had no idea of your presence here at all, no one informed me" excused Morgan pale faced not knowing how to make amends as his career clearly lay in tatters in a matter of a few minutes of talk and he knew it very well, the three of them did.

"Greetings to you too, Sir Henry Morgan, wish I could say it was a pleasure but it's not." replied Merthyr accepting the quickly offered tissue that Morgan was handing over "Please, no need to make a fuss, I'm just slave... forty six..." relayed Merthyr red faced in disgust but casual in voice, wiping away the spit to the best of his ability. "My royal ship went astray during a bad storm, a merchant called Roland offered rescue in return for slavery. I could hardly refuse survival at any cost till the merchant's ship went astray this morning too and your thugs lay hands on me afterwards." reported Merthyr not best pleased

"I see... well, what does your majesty propose we do given the compromising positions we both find ourselves in?" quizzed Henry Morgan weary of the king's words.

"Perpahs we can have an accord between us behind closed doors. If you were to release me and my manservant Taff into freedom at once, provide a ship and crew to return to Port Royal with, we could arrange a more appropriate formal encounter in Port Royal as if meeting for the first time. As you already know, my arrival is long overdue there. However, contrast to my original intentions, I assure you that your time as governor and my ambassador has its days already numbered given your clear conflict of interests" mutered Merthyr not about to call him a traitor when his life was on the line and his position precarious "I offer you, a life for a life, you hand me my freedom and my manservant back and I will forget I even saw you on this foresaken island, I will also spare you a charge of high treason and offer you a comfortable honorable retirement away from sea and away from the royal duties so that you never again return to my presence or sight and I never again hear your name either. We would consider our debts settled" offered Merthyr having preferred to hang the sly man but knowing he was in no position to make such demand.

Henry Morgan frowned and glanced at the closed door.

"I'm not sure you're aware of the danger you got yourself into, forty six, for all we know the king could have died and drowned at sea... if you know what I mean... It would be a shameful loss to realm but one we can easily get over" indicated Morgan, royal assassination being on the cards too if the young king was a hamper to his ambitions "If I were you I would consider your delicate position and tread very carefully, your majesty. You will appoint me as your governor and ambassador right away on a sealed parchment, hand-written by you, even before we leave the island, along with royal pardons for me, my friends and my crew" demanded Morgan callously. "I also demand an oath of obedience as well. Then and only then, we will sail for Port Royal and not a moment sooner. I expect you to court princess Zelenthia so brush up your charms whilst you're here, plenty of wenches and slave girls about, and... you are not having your manservant back either, I am keeping Taff to ensure your compliance, one false move, you will receive him back... in pieces." clarified Morgan "In the mean time, to ensure you appreciate the value of my offer, Triss will make you and forty five's life and stay most uncomfortable indeed" informed Henry Morgan

"Never... you swine... you will never be my governor for as long as I live, you treacherous rat...bloody pirate... you'll hang for this from the highest mast of the royal ship" refused Merthyr.

"Before the month is at an end you will kneel to kiss my feet, grovel for forgiveness and beg me to accept your servitude, to permit you to name me as your governor and take care of all your affairs, slave forty six..." scoffed Morgan

Merthyr spat on Morgan's face in contempt, to return the favour and show his disgust, walking out of the door and slamming the door shut, storming away to go and find Taff furious at the blatant blackmail, having no one else to complain to but his manservant. Morgan waited till Merthyr had just left and turned his attention to his master-at-arms

"Triss... five hundred gold... nay... two thousand gold pieces for your silence right away, more later, now go quickly and cross out their names from the books to leave no traces of their identity, keep their numbers only. Afterwards, give the pair your fullest attention to convince them to accept my offer. Be relentless and ruthless as you can be, no rest and no relief of any kind unless they beg you for it, at every step, every time, make them earn everything, clothes, food, drinks, rest, medical help, sleep.... Just try to avoid permanent injuries like lost limbs on either of them, the king must look his best after all when he announces me as his appointed governor and a maimed servant is of no use to anyone, it would devalue him. I have no doubt with your expertise and persuasive skills we will soon be sailing for Port Royal. If needs be, maim a slave in front of them each time the brat refuses orders or tasks, make him watch, three refusals, kill the slave chosen and let's see how long the defiant king lasts when he is costing other slaves their limbs and lives." smirked Morgan "I wager punishing his manservant with a good whipping each time will be enough for Merthyr to submit to all given orders, we won't need to even loose slaves over this at all." mused Morgan knowing how close Merthyr was to Taff more so now that his father was gone.

"Seems forty six has to learn his place, learn to grovel and beg... some rough treatment for him and more so his servant will do them good, it will instill discipline, a healthy dose of fear and obedience too" smirked Henry Morgan calmly opening a large chest with the two thousand golden pieces, letting Triss take the given treasure and leave once he had collected the payment. "No one double crosses Sir Henry Morgan, nay, Captain Henry Morgan, not even the king...." muttered Morgan standing calmly to return to his talks leaving the stroppy slave for Triss to sort out
For a moment, Sirina moved after Mark silently as he carried Tye into the fringes of the Jungle, mulling over the bruises she had glimpsed in the moment he'd pushed her away. It seemed so slight of an injury on the outside... all the worse as it meant the injury was inside. She didn't know how to help him. At home, healers were always at hand should one of the royal family come down with the slightest sniffle, and Sirina hadn't ever concentrated much on the biology lessons she'd been given. Most had been a brief overview of what was known - and it seemed less was known about the human body than the animal ones. It was rather looked on as taboo to use a dead body for science, even though they would never know. And Sirina had been much more concerned with finding her freedom.

"Rin, do you see that?" the voice jostled her from her reverie, though she still had trouble answering at a normal speed to the name she'd given her boyish personna. Glancing around, she squinted a bit as she tried to spot whatever Mark had found that was out of the ordinary. It wasn't hard to spot. A dragon? She blinked a few times and stared harder, then shot a glance to the older man, and eyebrow raised incredulously as she gave a slow nod, her grip tightening on her sharpened stick. Fat lot of good it would do her, but the dragon did look on the small side. "What should we do?" She asked, moving closer to the others.

As she watched the dragon, her thoughts moved to her father, for whom she'd only left a note to explain her departure. What would he do should she perish before she had a chance to return? Was he searching for her even now? King Michail had kept a tight hold on his daughter. Ever since Queen Hashanna had died giving birth to the princess, it had been as if the King thought he could protect Sirina as he hadn't been able to his queen. A more loving father was not to be had, but the light had also seemed to have gone out of him. Sirina's brothers told her of the days they remembered her father laughing, of their adventures together, and of his courage. Where had that man gone? The only freedom and adventure Sirina had been allowed to taste was on her rides atop her beloved snow white mare Nieva, stretched out in a gallop, the two moving fluidly together. Even that had been frowned upon by Michail. The wise king had recognized, however, that to deprive Sirina of her mare would push her too far away.

Yet she had left anyway. A pang of regret shot through her as she knew the grief it must be causing her father. But she'd needed to leave. And she would return. A better and wiser princess. She would not die here. Chin firming Sirina watched to see what the dragon would do. For the time being, all thoughts of the nearby pirates were driven from her mind.
Xochi (played by Beetlebelle)

Xochi tilted her head when she was sure they had found her. The little dragon’s long body loosened from its position on the branch enough so she could slither back towards the trunk of the tree. When her wings pressed against her body she looked more like an odd exotic serpent than a dragon, though it did not take too close of an inspection to see the two front legs and the feathers that sprouted from her scaly form.

Once Xochi reached a lower and more shaded branch did she look back to the humans, she was closer now and could read their expressions quite well. Her long forked tongue flickered out of her mouth for a moment. Her eyes locked onto Rin’s for a moment before flitting to Mark’s and Tye's; her vertically slitted pupils followed their movements with a sharp curiosity. The coatl dragon did not seem interested in the makeshift spear that one of them wielded.

After a moment she began to open her mouth, and though she had no lips in which to move as a human did, a smooth and rather unnerving voice emanated clearly.

C5JdIrL.png she asked. Her odd words drifted to them through the charged air; hoping their meaning could be understood by the strangers.
“Greetings, humans of the sea. Do you come in peace?” Xochi stared at them expectantly.

(( Only going to do the weird lettering once, the rest of her dialogue will be in italics :3 ))
Tye (played by Iltheyn) Topic Starter

The coatl dragon's approach set Mark on edge, since he was not familiar with the beast's body language it was impossible to tell whether it was giving unfriendly signals. He shuffled a bit, glancing at first further down the beach; it was not his intention to get into a potential fight with the serpent if it was defending its own territory, after all. To Rin's inquiry, he started, "Well, I..." but tapered off, hearing Xochi speak in her own tongue.

Well, she didn't sound unfriendly but there was no way for him to understand just what she was saying. He smiled at the creature, respectful of its sentience and replied. "I don't understand." The older man kept his tone leveled and friendly in return, hoping that the creature would learn that they did not mean any harm.

The thief in his arms glowered at the creature, though it was not truthfully intentional; he looked harsh because his pain hadn't abated and he was very uncomfortable in someone else's hands. "It sounds like a wimp. Bet if we 'ad a rat or somethin' we could bribe it t' leave us alone."

_

Tris smiled toothily at Morgan, replying shortly with, "Do not fret for my loyalty, sir.It will be done." With that, the honor-less man took to his designated work; he withdrew from Henry's presence and struck the king's name from the records. Once outside again he barked an order to the other pirates there to retrieve Taff and Merthyr for him; confident that they would comply Goff retrieved a case of 'tools' from his office, taking the time to polish and sharpen some while he awaited the duo. Mid-polish, he sent another outlaw for a more compliant, if relatively useless slave he'd had his eye on the past few weeks.

For as long as he'd been a pirate the master-at-arms relished in his ability to inflict harm upon others, and his specific line of work lately ensured he had plenty of opportunities to practice his methods. There was a fine line between torturing for information and obedience from torturing for fun; Tris knew it so well he was confident that he could break Merthyr in short time. He could only wonder how long it would take the new king to break; and what wondrous irony, that he'd be able to abuse a king of all people!

"Taff... don't just stand there like an idiot ... you fool....stop playing with dirt and run... we're hunted by pirates, we're game!" barked Merthyr gobsmacked to see him just casually working at the latrines as if nothing, completely oblivious to their imminent danger.

"Hurry, don't ask, just run! They're coming for us... nay... for you!" snapped Merthyr serious and furious in his voice, having broken in to a full speed run heart racing and somewhat panicked.

"Two things, there's no governor he's a pirate like them and here... not even the kings are safe." confessed Merthyr in broken gasps grabbing Taff by the wrist tugging him running towards the wilderness.

"Run, Taff, better out there than here, whatever you do, don't stop, don't slow down, don't look back. That's a command, you hear me, an order" noted Merthyr running behind Taff on purpose, ready to stop still and give himself up if came to that to give Taff a chance to live longer at his own expense, if needed be.

Not knowing their surroundings the pair ran back to the beach where they came from originally, simply following the footsteps in the sand as they ran, for lack of other paths to follow, unable to think much else, having no time to stop and think so heading into the growths and wilderness incidentally to where the others were hiding too.

Merthyr and Taff ducked and held their breath staying as still as possible, the wind making it hard to tell if leaves and branches were humans moving, wild beasts or just the approaching storm, for once, a blessing in disguise. Merthyr with Taff stood still a long while, listening to the sounds and voices of the searching party and wondering if they would manage to loose track of the pirates or not.

Once he had ascertained they were not being immediately followed the pair slumped back dizzy, exhausted and out of breath, glancing up at the strange beast but Merthyr dismissing it a hallucination from a tired, bewildered mind whilst Taff smiled broadly, creatures of magic quickly noticed each other and this one was most certainly friendly
The voice of Xochi slid into Sirina's mind even as it did her ears, the sensation was an odd one, for even as she did not recognize the sound her ears heard, her mind knew their meaning. She shook her head a moment, this being an experience unique and new to her. With the tone of voice, as well as the dragons posture, Sirina lowered her pointy stick - which really wasn't deserving of the title of spear. She looked to Mark and Tye who seemed to be a bit confused as well.

Stepping forward, gathering her courage, she lifted her chin and stared up at the beautiful creature. "We do come in peace... we were stranded here when our ship went down, torn to peices by a monster." She responded to the creatures question - or what she thought its words had meant, and hoped it too was peaceful. As she spoke she carefully measured her voice, still taking concious effort to keep it different from her normal, more melodic feminine voice. For all she knew, she had everyone convinced thus far of her boy'ness.

With her gaze and attention upon the dragon, Sirina very nearly missed the incoming of the two pirate escapees. But even as the storm picked up, causing the trees to begin to shake and bow to the winds mighty powers, she saw movement out of the corner of her eye that did not mesh with their surroundings. Were they being watched? Were these the pirates? Had their presence already been detected?

As she backed away from the dragon, she tried to catch her companions eye, and gestured her head toward some thick bushes she'd caught the movement near, hoping to alert them to their visitors, enemies or not.

As the wind swirled and grew, it pulled at Sirina's clothing, and the haphazard ends of her soft nutbrown hair, where it had been chopped to hang below her ears. The task had been a sad one for her, yet she hadn't wanted to chance leaving it long. Soon the gale would grow even stronger, they needed to delve a bit deeper into the jungle, and perhaps find better cover.

Xochi listened to Rin’s explanation and shifted closer from her perching spot on the branch when the female neared; though she was rather dirty and unkempt, the dragon could tell her true gender. By the way the creature held itself was clear it did not intend to strike out at them, but rather to look and smell them.

“Ah, tragic events have befallen you? And a storm comes to claim what remains...” Xochi replied, her colorful wings shivered a little in anticipation, sensing that with it heralded many things to come. She paused for a moment and continued as an afterthought, “I mean you no harm, but the monster you spoke of before likely does. But I do not know where it may be lurking.”

Now that she was closer to the three her serpentine tongue flickered in and out in interest while staring at Tye, sensing something was wrong within the boy. “Deaths hand is reaching out for that one unless he is treated soon…” The winds strength ruffled the feathers upon the dragon’s head, she looked up at the fast-approaching clouds in the distance. “…The storm will soon be here as well; I can lead you to shelter within the jungle if you wish?”

Her gaze drifted to look in the direction of Merthyr and Taff, sensing the prescience of a magic wielder close to them. She looked back to the trio and asked, “Another one is near, are they allies as well?”

Mark tilted his head and kept his eyes on Xochi, starting to understand what the beast was saying as well. Tye wrinkled his nose and squirmed a bit in the older man's arms, complaining, "Well if I'm gonna die let me at least do it with some digni-" That was when he heard the noise of the duo running down the beach, staring blankly as they ducked nearby. The older man caught Rin's glance and adjusted the thief, considering letting him down in case the duo were foes. The teenager, on the other hand, recognized them as other stowaways and burst out laughing; at least until he was cut off by another episode of coughing.

His fellow slave was confused by the boy's behavior, so he peered back at the talking beast and bowed his head. "Apologies, friend; we'd be very grateful for your guidance." He spoke rather quickly, well aware that Merthyr and Taff fled from someone.

His worry was proven valid soon after he replied; voices of angry men barked from their patch of the woods, searching for the king and his servant. "Come out an' I'll not beat yer faces in!" "Ye' can't hide forever, cretins!" None of the voices belonged to Tris but they shared the dialect of the other pirates, signaling that the hunt was on.

"I needed fresh air, it got way too hot back there, much too crowded" muttered Merthyr coming over to join the group speaking in a friendly but low tone as he went back to Tye without providing much detail of who he was or why he was being sought after.

---

Taff looked up with a broad wide smile of relief, looking at the dragon and speaking its language

"Coatl, we don't know each other but we seek your help. These pirates are coming for me... can you hide us? give us shelter till the storm is passed? We will not impose on you beyond that." Taff requested, speaking quickly and fluidly and resorting to the friendship that magic provided towards oher magical creatures. "I'm Taff, your kinsman" added Taff trustingly as he pleaded for the needed help hoping the creature would be favourable

((editted)

Merthyr frowned and stared at Taff talking to the creature, he did not understand either of them because his tired mind was too focused on the imminent danger to pay attention or put effort into the ongoing conversation.

He briefly raised a suspicious eyebrow at his manservant, having considered Taff nothing more than a simple resourceful servant during all these years of service and it seems there was much to be learned about him after all, at least the fact that he spoke strange languages was unusual and he would question him later on, after the danger was passed.
As Merthyr and Taff came nearer Sirina moved her gaze to them, trying not to stare. Somehow, she had missed them completely while on the boat - but then it had been a big ship. Now, the face of the blond one seemed to stir a memory within her. Lost in thought for a long moment, trying to grasp the memory, she stared for a bit longer than was polite, before jerking her head away and looking back to the dragon. Perhaps she would remember later - she hoped so for it was always annoying to be unable to remember.

Then, the sound of pirates shouting in the distance caused her to look that direction beforr whipping her head back to Merthyr and Taff - "you led them right to us!" She said in a rush, barely remembering to keep her voice lower. A spark of annoyance shot through her, yet she couldn't fault the two for running away, nor for seeking company. She herself had known it was safer in numbers.

Moving over toward Tye then she looked at him in concern, especially after what the dragon had said. Death looms... looked at Mark, then at the smaller dragon. "Even if she leads us to safety, Tye can't go quickly enough. Neither can you carry him as quickly as we may need..." her brow furrowed as she glanced toward the newcomers. "The pirates know at least some of us are nearby... I think we may need a diversion."
Sirina didn't know how she would accomplish this, but it seemed to be in all of their best interests. If the pirates followed her away, the others would have a chance, and maybe she could stay enough ahead of the pirates that she could loop back. It was a long shot, but better than all of them being taken with no chance of rescue..

That was another thing.. if she were captured, would they even think twice about a rescue? She didn't know. That was the confounding thing about throwing one's lot in with a group of unknowns. Still, she couldn't think of an alternative, and she was willing to try.

Xochi’s tail flicked for a moment after she listened to Taff, and looked to the others, “There is much I want to ask, but that will wait. Come.” And promptly flew off like a winged arrow between the trees; heading deeper into the jungle. Their plight seemed genuine to the dragon, and so was resolved to do what she could to aid the shipwrecked group.

Xochi wove through the forest like a windswept ribbon, and tried to stay at a reasonable pace for the humans... though they would have to be much hastier if they were being followed. She paused to wait every once and a while when their line of sight was obstructed; occasionally clinging to the side of a tree trunk or hanging from a branch like a living marker for the humans to look for; for the jungle was dense and hard to manage for those who were not accustomed.

Mark leaned toward Rin, trying to draw her attention away from her thoughts for a moment to say, "No playing hero; not yet." The older man would've added to that but a threat was near so when Xochi started to wind through the trees he followed quickly. The older man had some trouble making his way through the thicker parts of the forest but was no stranger to carrying heavy things, and so didn't feel the need to ask for the others to help. After a while the thief growled and promptly threw his arms around Mark's shoulders; it was an odd thing to do without explanation but the boy was doing it for easier movement as they ran. "Jus' keep goin'...!" He grumbled.

"Uh, alright."

_

Tris's face flushed with his anger upon hearing that those sent to bring the duo back lost track of them. He cracked the whip against one man's torso, sending him down in pain with the harsh motion while yelling at the others to scour the jungle. "You rats had only the job to keep things in order and you let slaves go! I will replace them with you if you do not find them!"

To be denied the unique pleasure of tormenting members of a royal house was something Goff would not tolerate; Morgan had his demands and the loyal master-at-arms would die before he failed. He equipped himself for the task; wearing a new coat of brown to better blend in with the forest floor, the pirate took with him a repeating crossbow, pocketing the bolts in a buttoned-closed pocket for ease of access. The man brought some of his most trusted men and begun personally scouring the jungle in search of the escapees.

Merthyr watched Tye and Mark move forward with Rin, the three well acquainted to one another or so it seemed, quickly noticing Tye was indeed seriously wounded. He trailed behind a little, observing in greater detail their painful if much too slow journey as the pair struggled to move forward.

"I have seen many men die for less of an injury" frowned Merthyr talking to Taff

"I know... and the pirates are closing in much too quickly" muttered Taff looking back and able to hear them not too far, the conversation between these two kept at a low tone.

"This boy is right" shouted Merthy loudly "you guys need a diversion else you won't make it!" agreed the young royal loudly "These thugs... they want me....we left... unfinished business back there... They won't stop till they have me so... er... I'm going to head back... I'm going to buy you guys some time" informed Merthyr turning around decisively.

"No! you may not walk away next time!" shouted Taff alarmed

"Taff... You won't stop, slow down or look back, you will march forward, with them, talk to that beast and find yourselves shelter. Stay safe. That's an order, you hear me, a royal command" barked Merthyr "Am I clear?" remarked Merthyr serious and loud enough for the companions to hear though not the pirates

"Yes... your majesty...very clear... sire" shouted back Taff turning to face forward and hurried to catch up to Rin and Tye and Mark, tempted to look back but knowing better to dare defy such a clearly given order.

"Guys, look after him for me!" waved Merthyr entrusting Taff to Rin, Tye and Mark "He's a good lad" assured Merthyr

Merthyr calmly turned around with a firm pace, walking away from the group to hand himself by marching forward towards the approaching men, relieved that at least Taff would not be returned to him, in pieces, hopefully.

"It's me! I'm slave forty six! Please... don't shoot! I'm unarmed!" shouted Merthyr loudly to attract them to him
Rin knew she didn't have to follow Mark's words - yet the commanding tone of his voice made her rethink her hasty plan. Her lips pressed into a thin line and her eyebrows furrowed as she glanced off toward the where the voices had faded, but she turned and began to follow the others as they faded deeper into the jungle.

Before they had got far she heard Merthyr's voice, hushed but a bit raised for them to hear. He was... agreeing with her plan? Right after he'd gotten free he was going to turn around hand himself over without a fight? THAT wasn't her plan - she had planned to try and stay free of those grubby, thieving, dirt eaters - *oh no... it seemed as if those on the ships crude way of talking had slid into her own vocabulary. What would papa say?* Then the words of Taff nearly slapped her in the face. "Your Majesty." and the vague memory returned full force. It was a portrait she had been trying to recall. That of Merthyr Tydfil, crown prince. Eyes wide she caught up to Mark and flung out her hand back the way the royal had gone. "That's crown prince Merthyr." She said. "Why's he being so stupid?"

They were making fairly good time, and it seemed Mark could handle the extra weight Tye was providing so generously. Ahead, she tried to keep the dragon in sight, as she perched and hung from trees. Trees which were swaying more and more with the growing gale. Soon the storm would be upon them full force.

((Sorry for the wait! I have been mulling this around for a while trying to get it to sound right))

As Xochi flew on, a great rocky cliff face suddenly came into view, heavy roots and green leafy vines climbed up the surface of it and small waterfalls trickled down it in several spots. It looked like it would be a treacherous climb if one tried, but the dragon flew beside it for a way rather than flying up.

When the ground started to get rockier and slope down steeply Xochi paused and hovered over the places where she expected the safest route would be to navigate downwards. The moss that covered the stones were damp and slick with water, and the spots that weren’t covered in roots or rocks looked soft and muddy. This was not a place to slip and tumble, and Xochi slowed her travel for the humans to take caution.

Further down a large waterfall went down a large section of the rock and fell to the ground from a small overhang in the cliff side. The small shelter it created was inadequate and of little use judging from its outwards appearance, but Xochi turned in towards it and went under the overhang anyway. When she got to the back of the tiny cave, she clung to the thin tangled vines that traveled up and across the rocky surface, and wormed her way past them. The small dragon was gone from sight as if she disappeared into the rock itself.

It was a moment before the serpentine head poked out through the vines to watch the human’s progress before disappearing once more. There seemed to be a hidden tunnel, and when the humans would enter through it they would be greeted by darkness, wet moss, and the echo of the waterfall. If they would continue down the path they would soon find that it opened back up into a small cove-like area, and within stood the remains of a small temple, it looked as though it was carved from the cliffs around it, and great trees grew over and around its surface.

Xochi flew to the entrance and perched above it, murmuring, “You should be safe here, I have yet to see any human encroach upon this place… And the storm’s impact should be lessened here as well.”

(( If this doesn't read well I also pulled inspiration from a few pictures I found that might help. 1 2 3 4 ))

Mark jogged along, listening to the conversation around him but not really caring until Taff addressed Merthyr by his title. He glanced back, initially wide eyed-- and that glance enabled him to watch Sirina as she caught up and confirmed it-- but he turned and continued running, replying to her, "To be honest, its better him than us! Heartless, but they will care for a king, so as to ransom him." He ducked and wound around a thicket, avoiding thick vines which draped between several trees above him. Then they saw the cliff.

Tye watched as Merthyr turned and stepped away impassively; the older man's hopes for the king's safety were not strictly shared with him. It didn't matter much either way, since the more they moved the more blurred everything became. Still mostly tucked against Mark, the thief curiously reached down and felt one side of his chest. He breathed as deep as he could yet couldn't feel that side shifting as much as the other. When the older man ducked he clung again, mostly to avoid his own limbs catching or bumping into anything. It was awkward and deeply uncomfortable for him to be clinging to the other slave, since they had no rapport beyond occasionally working together on the ship; but it was something they'd just have to deal with.

Mark followed Xochi around the treacherous rocky slope, his surefooted and quick nature suggesting that this man had moved on such terrain before. Still, he kept his eyes downcast, searching the mud, grass and rock below for faults, jagged stone or dangerously soft patches.

He was more hesitant to follow Xochi inside the cave but did so anyway. As he walked inside he could just barely see that the dragon was crawling in between the vines at its very end. He jogged inside, leaning forward in areas too small for his height; when the two were at the end he felt for the entrance with an arm. Then, with difficulty, Mark crossed the vine curtain.

The older man shut his eyes and stood a moment; he suspected that they should continue ahead but waited until he felt a draft of wind pass to be certain. He sighed and walked against it, all the way through to the enclosed cove and near Xochi. The sight of it amazed him but his thoughts were still on his fellow slave's peril. "Thank you."

Tye, on the other hand was unable to see the temple, since his eyes were still semi-focused on the cave behind them.He was set down on a bed of moss, soft and healthy with the moisture the forest thrived in. He closed his eyes.

Mark smirked down at him and asked, "So what was that about not needing help?"

Tye managed a soft, mumbling growl; not hostile but disgruntled. The boy glanced at his hands, which of all the thief were by far the most pale; discolored. The older slave followed his look and let the smirk dwindle away. "Sorry."

The thief closed his eyes again and gave a nod, a sign that he wasn't actually resentful of the man's tease.

_

Merthyr was not immediately heard; it was evident by the way those pirates on the hunt continued to jeer and call for him. Whether he persisted or not though, they'd find him. The first to see the king was a haggard looking man with a deep tan and an aged face covered with a large, healthy black beard. The whites of his eyes lay stark against the tan of his skin as he spotted Tydfil marching closer to his captors. "Ah! Finally given up, eh?" He had a bit of a lisp.

Tris was not there yet; rather he was further away in the jungle, unaware that the king had been found and searching with fierce resolve.

Merthyr nodded in affirmation "Yes, yes... I have given up with all the mad running indeed, it's pointless... I'm worn and weary as it is... please... just... take me to the master-at-arms and let him do with me as he wishes. Without a shadow of a doubt, I'm sure I will regret having tried to escape and he will thoroughly enjoy teaching not to do so again" surrendered Merthyr resigned, leaning forward and resting his hands on his knees to catch his breath

---

Taff approached the dragon nodding the head respectfully in gratitude "thank you, kin... I am indebted to you, if I can repay you in any way just say " smiled Taff politely

He came closer and glanced at Tye briefly, feeling pity for the seriously injured lad. He took his clothes off keeping only his thin sleeveless vest and rolled his clothes into a soft roll that could be used as a pillow for Tye's head, the druid tattoos were now visible against his pale skin, it was a drawing of three spirals within a circle which were engraved on each of his shoulders along with celtic writings and symbols around it. He made no mention of that, sitting on his toes near the thief briefly, extending the makeshift pillow in case the wounded lad consented to the offering. He left it by the thief for Mark to use if they wanted and moved back, standing to gather up wood, wet or dry.

Once he had collected a pile, he relocated some of it, to make a camp fire and tried to light it, first using stones, rubbing them quickly for a spark, seeing he had no success he changed to trying friction with dryer twigs and some leaves and grass, to no avail either for the wood was all too wet or too green, in the end, after the good effort, he resorted to put his palm open and extended over it, holding the hand still "Forbearnan" recited to watching intently to see the flames light up and burn. He knew they needed to keep warm and dry, especially Tye. Chances were he might not see Merthyr again so it did not matter as much to conceal his magic any more.

While he fed twigs and logs to the fire and he looked up at Sirina curiously for a long moment.

"How did you know him? How did you know his majesty's name? I know every face that comes in contact with the king yet I have never seen you before in the royal court or any of our journeys" noted Taff briefly

((Edited to acknowledge Xochi))
After her initial reaction to Merthyr's decision to hand himself off, Sirina had silently followed alongside the others after Xochi. Several times she'd had to drop back, more single file to pass through the dense unergrowth, ducking under vines and clumsily pushing through as she followed Mark. If she were honest, even with herself, it was a struggle to push through and find sure footing on this terrain. Unaccustomed to fleeing through a jungle, and still struggling to regain her land legs, Sirina stumbled often, muttering low under her breath, a few choice words she'd picked up aboard ship. If the wind hadn't been stirring, her hair would have been damp from the humidity clinging around them, and she felt her energy rapidly depleting the longer they ran.

Even despite her grumbling underbreath, Sirina couldn't help but notice and appreciate the beautiful scenery as waterfalls became more frequent upon the cliff they moved by. Breath heaving some, she eventually had eyes only for where she placed her feet, until finally she pushed through the back of the cave after the rest.

A... temple? Ruins? How did this get here? Chest rising and falling as she struggled to regain her breath, Sirina let her gaze move around the small cove, marveling at the tranquility of it. She looked appreciatively at Xochi, admiration in her gaze. "This is a very nice haven you have. Thank you for sharing and guiding us here."

Thankful now for the work she'd been given aboard ship, she realized her breathing had quickly got back to normal. She was in much better shape than she had been back at the castle, despite her daily rides atop Nieva. Oh how she missed her mare...

Taff's words startled Sirina out of her perusal of their new sanctuary, and she turned to find him watching her. Drat.
She hadn't been careful enough..
she took a moment, pretending to study the temple a moment longer as she created her reply, then looked back at the manservant. When she spoke, she tried to keep her tone neutral.

"Merthyr's name, and visage, is not unknown among the lesser folk of the surrounding lands." She paused, not offering to expand on the question, as she already felt she'd dug a hole. Then her face softened momentarily and she added, "I hope the pirates know what's good for them, and keep him from harm for the ransom."

After this, she looked toward Tye and Mark, concern sliding back over her face as she watched them. Moving closer she crouched nearby, not knowing how to aid them. "Shall I fetch some water?" She asked softly.

Xochi looked to the humans respectively as they gave their thanks; but it was at Taff’s that she pondered at for a moment. She listened a while as he and Sirina spoke then, before she alighted from her perch on the temple ruins and glided down to them. And carefully, if Taff would allow it, she would drape onto his shoulders and settle there. From the way he spoke to her, the dragon thought he would be the less likely to startle at her initial touch... But if he would make a sign of refusal she would land beside him and the camp fire that he started and coil there.

Xochi spoke up once Sirina finished, and asked Taff, “You had said 'kin' to me? Are you of Quetzalcoatl’s blood? I sense you have more magic affinity than the rest of your allies, but not of a dragon’s essence.” The dragon corrected the young warlock before she looked to Tye pointedly.

“If it is a debt you wish to pay to me, I will ask that you help heal that one if you can. But if you cannot do it alone I might be able to help.” Xochi offered, her bright eyes searched his own with a hunger for knowledge. "...And perhaps you can tell me a bit about yourselves after."

"Aye I'll answer your question later, for now, come and rest on my shoulders, I will carry you a little while. With you, my powers feel stronger so maybe we can heal him together, uh? This one seems too far gone already as it is. Normally in cases like this, with such extensive internal damage, I just stand aside and let humans die, I focus on relieving pain to make their passing comfortable and allow nature to follow its course, but ... his majesty insists I stay by these men so we must help keep them alive as best as we can. Time is of essence, though, this one hasn't much left to live so we must act quickly. Let me take you up, I won't hurt you, I'll close my eyes and focus, you guide me, you take over with your powers and use me as you see fit to do what needs be done to heal him. If... he wishes to be healed, else we'll focus on easing the pain instead" offered Taff lowering his arms and opening his palms to pick up the coatl dragon

He turned his attention at Tye brief and sober, his facial expression serious as it got to be "Friend, you're in dire need of help, without it you will die shortly... do you want to live? Do you want healing? I understand some slaves prefer death to slavery so I will respect your wishes either way" explained Taff looking at Tye not about to impose on the youth

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Swells of Rage (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus