Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Swells of Rage (Open)

Sirina took the fruit Xochi indicated without need for more prompting, her stomach growling. Cutting into it she divided it into sectioned peices, first offering one to the dragon nearby, then eating one herself. Her gaze moved to the others, yet it seemed they had already partaken of the magical food Taff had earlier conjured. She finished a few more peices before suddenly becoming aware of Taff's babbling.

His words registering too slowly, her hazel eyes snapping wide. Wait ... he had recognized her? she did a double take, then let out a sigh. Of course he did. He was Merthyr's manservant, she should have expected that as soon as he knew she was a woman, the pieces would fall into place. Silly her.

As she took the offered bits of coconut the man openened she regarded him silently for a moment, watching his obviously embarrassed reaction. She may have been dressed somewhat.. less.. than a princess would have been but certainly not less than any village lass, or lad, that had jumped ship. Taking a deep breath she spoke, finally allowing her real voice, a soft and slightly melodic tone to come forth.

"Taff... just don't draw attention to my royalty. Here I am no different than anyone else. I don't wish my heritage to be a source of awkwardness, nor do I wish it to be well known as it would place me in undue danger, and perhaps the rest of you should anyone deem you as part of my group." She gave him a bit of a hard look, hoping he understood, especially given Merthyr's own situation. Still, it seemed he might have a hard time getting over her being a woman, and a princess as well.

Tye on the other hand... Sirina stood as the thief came over to join them, trying to gauging his reaction. Mark's cautions about how he disliked royalty flickered back through her mind and for a moment she said nothing as the two seemed to size each other up, her own gaze moving over the thief even as his did her, as if in a bit of defiance.

At his words she glanced down at the knife held in her hands, then back up to Tye. She considered lying, wishing she could say she had practical experience with it, yet she was all to aware that honesty would aid them most in working as a group to get out of their current situation. With an exhaled breath she shrugged, "Not on any any real person, no." She admitted, "aboard ship one of the boys taught me how to throw it, and I did practice that when I could." She shrugged again, sweeping a few growing locks of hair out of her eyes. The rich brown strands had grown some since she'd cut them at journey's behinning, and now they hung down just past her chin. She would have to either cut it again, or begin tying it back so it did not get in the way.

Feeling as if the situation of her identity had somehow spiraled out of her control she glanced away from everyone, tring to gather her thoughts as she looked to see if Mark had made his way back yet. A flicker of concern that she had left the man too soon moved through her, yet she knew he was more than capable.
Arianna Wyss (played by Freyera)

Frank was not being cooperative. Not even in the vaguest sense of the term. Well, that wasn’t entirely fair. He did seem to respect her boundaries whenever she set them. Insofar as one might expect a total stranger on a pirate infested island to do, anyway. Still, something would have to be done to break this stalemate, or neither of them would be going anywhere anytime soon. And sitting still would never achieve her final goal on the island. Oh, they might also get caught too. That was probably of bigger concern at the moment.

“Well, Forest Druid Frank. We seem to be at an impasse. By the looks of it, you don’t trust me.” Her face went awash with shock and hurt. “I mean, after all we’ve been through together… I thought we were friends!” There was always time to run her mouth and poke fun, mostly run her mouth, at any given situation. “Well, you are correct. We are not. Mr. I-have-no-clue-about-personal-space. Still, I’ll take someone who backs off when requested. It’ll be a strange change of pace in my life but, alas...” A dramatic sigh spilled from her lips. “I shall try to manage.”

She still hadn’t accomplished anything. “Tell ya what. I’ll give you my sword so long as you promise to give it back. Just between you and me, it’s more for show anyway. I couldn’t win a sword fight with the training dummy, much less some seasoned swashbuckling sand-laden stalwart sailor of the sea. And quite frankly,” She paused to giggle. “right now it’s just dragging my skirt down in this rough terrain. I’m certain a strapping young lad like yourself won’t mind the added weight. You can even use it to stab me if I try to, I dunno, beat you to death with this giant leaf thing I stole from some poor greenery way back yonder.”

Of course, she hadn’t answered his question yet. She was getting around to it. “Hold your hand? Moving a little fast in this relationship, aren’t we? At least buy me some dinner first, and we’ll go from there. Then again, I’ve never dated a Forest Druid before. What would that be like? Do you live in the trees? Can you speak to animals? Ooh, I bet during the winter you snuggle up with the bears. If this place even has bears. A little warm for all that fur.”

And she was gone again. “Do you ride the deer like horses? No, you’d probably be better off just riding horses. What do you drink? Isn’t all this water salty? You know that stuff will make you insane. Or do you have some sort of magic that purifies it? Or maybe your body can filter the salt out. I think that’s what the liver does. Who knows how our insides work. So long as they keep working, am I right?” Even as she rambled, she had disconnected the sheath from her waistline and held it out to him.
Taff nodded at Sirina "As you wish... Rin..." granted Taff not one to disregard royal orders from kings nor princesses.

Then he turned his attention at Tye briefly.

"Very well... here and now lad... on this pirate infested island, I need to get back to their lair fast, I need to return to the king's side and and deliver the royal seal back to king Merthyr, discreetly.

Since you seem focused on your benefit out of it all, I shall pay you in advance... for one you have your beloved blade back already and now I shall remove any branding from your flesh that you may never be slave NTC 157 again. I require your services as a pirate and slave's branding upon your flesh won't help your disguise" muttered Taff holding his palm outward close to Tye but without touching the boy for he didn't need contact, simply muttering words sufficied.

Of course Tye's arm would burn where the marking had been made but it would be a brief tinge of pain to restore the flesh as it was before.

"After the task, you will be free to return to your lifestyle, a free man, at least until TNC catches up with you again" smiled Taff briefly. "The water tells me your clothes were tossed overboard, Roldan Ulderico, the man who branded you, he is not dead at sea like so many from our ship so who knows... time and chance will tell if you cross his path again, but it will not be of my doing..." muttered Taff giving Tye the bad news and head's up that he still remained a wanted man.

Merthyr stood still... daring to lean forward to evade the reprimand would plunge him onto the glimmering blade that had been placed before him and not moving at all would certainly tear his back.

Overall a torn back was far better than becoming a corpse so he stood crouched down, sitting against his toes as he knelt on the floor, his back well exposed to the master at arms, his hands firmly against his knees and pressing against the knee caps as he tensed up and prepared for what was to come.

When Triss started counting and released the whip, Merthyr gasped deeply, holding the air briefly and wincing, clenched teeth, clenched hands and eyes pressed tightly, jerking a little every time the man dared count the strikes of the cat'o'nine. Biting into his own lip to the point of drawing out blood, but he did not let out a word.

Kings don't scream and no matter how hard it was, despite the pain, he contained himself rather well.

If it were not for his pride he would have screamed for the whip mercilessly tore his skin and flesh alike, but no, he wouldn't give the man the satisfaction of hearing him grovelling or groaning. He was far more stubborn than that. He bravely took the strikes as defiant and honorably as he could manage, with the odd hiss towards the end but silent and composed as he could be.

Once Triss had counted his ten rounds, Merthyr remained still, his tense arms mildly trembling at the pain and the anger he felt that a commoner could dare to strike royalty in such manner, more the anger than the pain actually but he remained kneeling, waiting until he was commanded to rise.
(( OOC awaiting for Tye.... wishing him all the best... keep safe from the storms ))
Tye (played by Iltheyn) Topic Starter

Tye's expression was unwavering as he turned his dagger in his hands. He'd heard what Rin had to say to Taff regarding her class but the thief would have to see more before he could truly trust her. After all; she could be genuine about escaping with them, but it didn't mean she wouldn't abandon them if it meant saving her own hide. It was unsurprising to hear of her inexperience with weaponry. Actually, it relaxed him a bit; at the very least he knew she was less dangerous off the bat. He was going to have to do something about it, though. "I'm gonna need help out there. Y' think ye're up fer some sparring?"

Even then the boy could feel tenderness in his rib. His nerves warned him against more than just a few demonstrations, but someone had to teach her and he didn't think it would be Taff. Tye glanced in the direction of the entrance. Mark might be better for this than Tye. Where was he?

He turned to listen to Taff once again. As the druid moved to erase his brand, the slave narrowed his eyes. It seemed sparring might have to wait, though he didn't like the idea the manservant had. "..Why? Iffin this Morgan sod finds it, we migh' not 'ave a chance t' do anythin'." He sighed, irritated by what was either his own lack of understanding or Taff's lack of a plan. "Right. Well." He looked back at the princess. "When Mark gets back y' should talk with him. 'E's got experience fightin', whether 'e likes folks to know or not. Never know when you'll need what 'e has to teach." The boy fidgeted with his dagger and turned toward Taff. "Oh, don't you worry. Roldan's mine."

"Lead on, then."

_

Mark couldn't hide his smirk anymore, so he didn't try. He chose to cherry pick from the questions this stranger posed. "You want to give me the sword? I'll take it, then." Though the older man's mirth was real, he felt a twinge of uneasiness around this woman. Her flamboyance was a front, he suspected, and trusting a man as big as he was to handle her own weapon was its own indication that she had nothing to fear from him. There was a chance it was a bluff but he'd have to keep an eye on this one. "I was thinking, if our hands were occupied we'd have less chance of killing each other out of paranoia. But if you'd prefer this instead, I won't complain."

The older slave extended his arm, moving to take the weapon gingerly from her hand. With all the druid questions she posed, it was very difficult not to jest about it.

_

When Tris whipped the royal slave the first time, exuberance washed over him. The second time it flooded his thoughts, filling him with manic glee. Time was a blur to the sadistic master-at-arms; he was so thoroughly enjoying himself that Goff could hardly bring his mind from the damage his tool inflicted. The parting skin where the tails rent the king's back, the blood which seeped from increasingly large wounds, the cracking noise each infliction made. He was in his element. If Merthyr were not a man of relative import to his master, he'd have kept going until his victim was no more.

He'd have to make an example of someone else, later. While the master-at-arms contemplated who he might choose he lowered the hand holding the cat-o-nine-tails and paced around the wounded. "Consider this a reminder to all of you who ever think of betraying the good will of our captains." Tris turned to the pirate who'd assisted him earlier and spoke in a softer tone. "Have his wounds treated. Then he will be brought back to my office for questioning."

The brigand nodded and tried to bind Merthyr's hands in front of him with a leather band. If nothing happened to impede him, the pirate would take the king from the fire pit, winding through the hidden den.

_

The messenger entered the room the captains used to plot. "My captain--" he panted, bowing specifically to Henry but keeping his back bent to show deference to all of them. "Merthyr is in our custody, but he left his signet with a servant who is still on the island, somewhere. Tris is sending more search parties to find him."
Sirina regarded Tye with open curiosity as he spoke, both trying to read his thoughts regarding her, and also figure him out a bit too. The man seemed a bit of a mystery, which didn't bother her, more it made her determined to befriend him for some odd reason. She would show him that not all royals were snobs... and that she wasn't completely useless.

"Sure I'd be up for sparring. Learning comes quick for me so watch your back." She offered with a light smile. The smile sank a bit though as Tye became preoccupied with Taff's apparent idea of removing his brands. Welll.. she wouldn't mind sparring with Mark instead - that is if the man should ever reappear. Shrugging inwardly she turned to regard Xochi, giving the other two time to figure things out between them.

"Have you been in many fights?" She asked softly, replacing her knife in her sash and hunkering by the small dragon, hazel hues regarding her seriously. "If any, I mean." She added, not wanting to assume. While she waited she ate a few more bites of fruit which served to finally take the edge off of her hunger.

As she spoke with the dragon, she also began to wonder what sort of plan the two left here had concocted. She had heard Taff mention getting back to the pirates layer, and assumed he wanted to recover his King Merthyr. As she considered this, she thought a bit more about Merthyr, hoping the royal was holding up alright in the clutches of those scoundrels. She figured he probably wasn't dead, no one smart would waste such an opportunity as holding the King would be.
Xochi (played by Beetlebelle)

Xochi listened to the humans conversation, eyes bright with curiosity. Her scaly head would turn to and fro to look at the current speakers face as they spoke. The dragon spoke up when the matter of sparring came up, and looked to Tye as she did, "That one's injury is still healing, he is strong... but should still be resting as much as possible."

The Coatl looked back to Sirina when she felt the female's gaze settle back on her. When the human crouched nearer to her, Xochi slid forwards smoothly and rose half of herself from the ground, seeking to climb back up onto her shoulders; it seemed she enjoyed the warm presence of the other.

Xochi paused for a moment, considering the question. "I have seen battles, and seen even more of the carnage that they bring afterwards..." The feathers on her head flattened to her body as she thought. "As for fighting... I have. I dislike it. Some of my kind revel in it, but I do not. But it is important to know how and when to protect one's self."
Bliss Celes (played by Noodlearmin)

Where is everyone

Well, that solved that problem. Of course, it made for about thirty more, but she wasn’t going to worry about those now. Those were problems for ten minutes from now Arianna, not right now Arianna. And for right now Arianna, there was the issue of food. She should have eaten, or at least taken more food from the pirate ship she had disabled so long ago. On that note, she idly pondered how they were doing. Or how that engineer was doing. Surely he had fixed the boat by now. Unless the storm had sank them. The blade slipping from her fingers roused her from that errant train of thought and back to the more pressing issues at hand.

“Oh, you clever rascal you.” She grinned, slyly offering him a wink. “I’ve endured a great deal of attempts from men to find some excuse to touch me, but I have not seen it done so cunningly subtle in a long time. Bravo, Frank. You might be worth the trouble, after all. But not right now. We should get going. My little leaf here won’t hold the water off forever, and as handsome as you are, I didn’t give you my only weapon just to stand around and stare at you holding it. However, maybe if you struck a pose… Something commanding. Eloquent. Graceful. Think you can do that?” It would be entertaining to watch, for sure. Her mind would only wait a half second for him to respond before moving forward, though.

“So where we going, Frank? I could use a bite to eat. Maybe some roasted duck. Got any of those around here?” She gasped, using her now swordless hand to cover her mouth in surprise. “Er, I mean… I would never kill an animal… Have never killed an animal… Animals are the best thing ever. I have a few at home I keep as pets. Super nice. Well treated. Love ‘em to death.” Nice recovery. “Shut up.” She muttered aloud. “What I clearly meant to say was, got any roasted coconuts?” Did people even roast those? “Or whatever it is you Druids eat out here to stay healthy.” Her eyes scanned his body quickly. “Healthy-ish, at any rate.”

What a poor way to start the conversation. Some small talk might help. “Crazy weather we’re having today, huh? I haven’t seen a storm like this since I was a little girl. I remember it like it was interesting. There I was, playing on the beach, and it just blows in outta nowhere. Clear skies to cloudy, just like that.” She snapped her fingers. “The tide came in, washed me right out to sea it did. And the current was much too strong to swim back in. I thought I was finished. That was the end. Nature had decided my time was finished. But in the end, a dolphin pulled me back to shore. Didn’t even miss dinner. True story.” At least some parts of it were. Probably.
Merthyr's back was badly torn indeed, the final lash wrenching a hiss unwillingly from the royal's lips, that he quickly silenced so as to not give this torture the least pleasure..

It was the first time he had ever been physically harmed and felt as if his back was burning on fire at every strike.

Merthyr's eyes were teary and he had been bitten into his lower lip to the point of bleeding noticeably by the time Triss had finished. Still he was brave and, more than that, he was stubborn, so much so that he would not grant Tris the pleasure of a single scream or loud groan despite the agony.

He let a sigh of relief relaxing his shoulders a little when Goff finally counted to 10 now grateful the punishment has been so modest in number indeed, letting out the air he had been holding as he tensed and winced throughout the ordeal.

He immediately offered his wrists to the thug, without the least reluctance, allowing him to bind the hands to his front and following them out of his own accord to wherever they wanted to lead him, worrying what sort of questioning Triss was about to delve into this time around.

Taff rubbed his forehead briefly

"Look we do not have many days left... if king Merthyr doesn't have the royal ring before end of the week, these thugs may well kill him or drag him to Port Royal by boat for a proclamation in person. Time is not on our side either way.
Are you sure you can play the pirate card well enough and bring me to their presence?" asked Taff

"We will need to scabbage the beach for pirate looking clothing too, as you are currently, you hardly look the part, unless you wear my clothes? As you stand, it is clear you are a prisoner or a slave rather than one of them. We could attack one of their scouts and borrow the attire but that supposes we will find a scout and one easy enough to take down, which may not be the case, we could fing a too large group to take down or none at all" pointed out Taff wondering if an attire swap would be the safest and quickest option

Morgan slammed his dagger and fist against the table clearly furious at what he had just been told.

"Find the royal seal or I will have your beating hearts laid upon the table, you have no more than two days. Tris will stay to ensure our royal doesn't dare run away again... and don't forget we need a lass and an heir we can raise ourselves, according to our ways.

Now go, deliver the message and find the servant and the missing royal ring" prompted Morgan whip to hand and dishing a lash or two to get the messenger moving quicker.

Tye frowned as Taff rubbed his forehead. So far, they didn't seem to make very good team mates. "Aye. Don't worry about that. We'll have to find a search party first..." The thief glanced in the direction of Xochi, knowing well the wisdom of the creature's reminder but feeling he had to push himself regardless. If all went well, there'd be plenty of time for him to rest. Later. Still... his weakness would worsen circumstances if he was found out. "Oi, Rin." He chose to address her as, rather than her title, on purpose. "I... might need yer help anyway."

The boy was loathe to reveal his plan, especially to two who seemed like bleeding hearts, but it would have to be done to avoid unforeseen contingencies. "We'll be goin' to find a search party, first. If we're lucky, we'll find a small one." He drew up his dagger. "Its like y' say, Taff. We might find a large group. But I need a good disguise, an' as far as I can tell, we don't 'ave a good one between us an' the beach is probably the first place they'll check. One or two of 'em will have t' die. Then we can go find Merthyr." He glanced at the princess again. "You want to help?"

_

Mark listened politely as Arianna tried her hand at a few conversation topics. He chose this time to answer her question about their destination. "...Just a hiding place, for now." After all her efforts, leaving off like that seemed disappointing. "Did I mention I love ribs?" That's better. "In all seriousness though, I don't think coconuts are cooked... but our little friend you were so interested in probably knows the answer."

It didn't take long for them to find their way back to the cave entrance. Arianna's conversation made it seem faster to him, which the older slave found odd. "Our friends here call me Mark. You can keep calling me Frank if you want, though."

_

Merthyr was lead further into the den until the two came upon a stout shack constructed of local wood. From a window in the side a dark smoke emanated, disappearing into the canopy. Two voices exchanged words inside; one familiar, the other not so. A third voice chimed in briefly and the second was silent a moment.

The pirate guiding the king knocked roughly on the door, eager to be done with anything related to Tris. The door was opened, revealing the voices to belong to Chowder, a short, cowled man with a prosthetic arm (that seemed to move on its own, despite being constructed of wood) and an older, local man.

The local's brow was knit with strained contemplation. He took a glance at the slave's condition and scoffed, gesturing him toward a nearby, straw-strewn cot. The brigand moved to lead him there. "Where's the leathuh?" The pirate escort asked.

The cowled man shuffled near them, leather straps already in his hands. The local grunted with objection as the stout one leaned toward the king's existing bindings. "Tris wants me to fix that with him tied to the bed? He will hardly be able to leave on his own in a few minutes. Out of the way."

Then the local man was there, rag and bowl of water in hand to clean the wounded man's injuries.

Chowder and the brigand who guided the slave king there stood back as the local man gave the cowled one orders, sending him scurrying around the room in search of herbs for a poultice.
Sirina was only too happy to oblige Xochi, proffering her arm for the dragoness to climb up to wherever she was pleased to perch. A soft smile slipped over Sirina's features as she felt the dragon’s weight settling. It was rapidly becoming a comforting presence, and she was glad the dragon seemed happy with her company.

She was about to turn away to perhaps practice throwing her knife when Tye's voice captured her attention once more, her posture shifting so she could raise an eyebrow toward the man. Declining to immediately answer, she instead listened to the plan as Tye figured it to be, wondering where her own help was desired. Attacking a bunch of pirates didn't seem the smartest move to her, but then, their marooned group had few options.

Finally, as Tye pressed the question to her, she gave a nod, eyes flashing with determination. "I'll help. What did you have in mind? As we already discussed, my fighting skills leave something to be desired."
((OOC it's Xochi's turn ))
Xochi (played by Beetlebelle)

(Sorry for the late reply!)

Once Xochi settled around Sirina’s shoulders and was securely in place, the little dragon neatly folded her hands under her belly comfortably in the same fashion a feline might. As the woman shifted to look to Tye she too focused her attention onto him as he discussed their plan. It seemed he would not heed her advice. The colorful crest on her head wilted as the Thief brought up the necessity of killing, not to mention bringing along the inexperienced lady to help in the task.

The Coatl sat quietly on her human perch, deciding it best to let them sort out their own plan of action, but she knew that if this female would be involved in risky business of fighting the cutthroats of the island, the dragon would accompany them as well. Xochi gave a small squeeze of reassurance to the woman, intent on staying by her.

Something on the breeze alerted the dragon now, and with tongue flickering, her fiery gold eyes flitted towards the entrance of their hideout. The other human male. Xochi mused silently. And… A soft hiss slipped from her snout, loud enough for her immediate company to hear the warning sound. The new arrivals would likely be within sight within a few moments. Xochi puffed out a nervous sigh at the thought of having to deal with that female who had the persistent chatter of a monkey and an apparent appetite for dragon.
(( It's Arianna's turn ))

Well, they were off. In whatever direction that would lead them. Or rather, her. Which was exceedingly more relevant than whatever he was planning. Maybe he would try to kidnap her. Maybe he really was a Forest Druid. Maybe he’d take her back to some small cottage and she’d get to meet his beautiful wife and lovely kids, bounding through the tall grass of a sun drenched meadow whilst the sun crested over a distant horizon. Maybe he was a cannibal. Did he say he liked ribs? “So uhh… Forest Druids don’t eat people, right?” The question waited until he had ceased talking, ignoring any uniformity to the conversation to blurt itself out before she could catch herself.

Her mouth pressed quickly onward like a horse unbridled from the carriage her mind rode upon. “Because if you like ribs, you should really try, you know, pig ribs. Or…” What else had ribs that was eaten regularly again? “Chicken… ribs…” That didn’t sound right. “At any rate, human ribs probably aren’t nearly as tasty. And look at me. All skinny and malnourished. Why I bet there are tons of pirates around here much meatier than I am. Of course, they are much filthier as well. Much… much... filthier.” She shuddered. “Ugh. If I ever have to touch one again it’ll be too soon.”

Panting and out of breath, her mind finally caught back up. “A hiding place, you say? Well, I’m honored. Knowing where you practice all your rain dances will give me a decisive edge on the agricultural market. Speaking of, can you please make this stop? You know, if you’re that kind of Forest Druid. If not, then… well… I’m sorry? Can’t say I’ve ever met one before. Don’t know how your caste system works.” Didn’t he say something else? “But if that critter does talk, I fear I will need you to translate. Some of us aren’t as well versed in bird-snake-creature dialect as others, I’m afraid.”

Their pace was steady, and after some time she could see a little cave off in the distance with various figures standing around it. As she didn’t know where precisely she was being taken, she could only presume by her counterparts confident steps that these were friends of his. Her voice still quieted, planning escape routes should the situation turn sour. He seemed friendly enough, but that didn’t guarantee his companions to be. “After you, Frank.” She motioned, entirely unwilling to place any more people to her back than was absolutely necessary. It would also give her a chance to see just how much he trusted her in the process.
"I was brought up a royal slave and manservant, at the palace, fighting was never required, if anything it was shunned outright" admitted Taff rubbing the back of his neck "This is why I need your help" muttered Taff sheepishly

"besides, druids would never directly injure or harm anyone, that, that goes against life itself and all principle of life preservation" winced Taff shuddering at the idea of killing anyone.

He went silent and smiled broadly at the two new arrivals.

"There's grilled meat being kept warm and there's fruits that the search party brought back" mumbled Taff about to address her highness by name and title but remembering her order not to do and so switching to the generic name of "Rin" to comply with her command as much as possible.

Merthyr was too weakened to struggle against the pirates and appreciated Chowder enough to not want him in further trouble on his account. He let himself be tied down, his cheek resting against the surface as he watched events unfolds. Chowder and the other pirate going to and fro fetching strange herbs

Now of all times he felt he needed Taff for advice, he seemed to know all the plants, herbs, mixtures and their purpose and effects, right now, he felt like a blind mind lacking such information

"What are you going to do to me?" frowned Merthyr "Are you going to drug me into compliance, weakness or forgetfulness? Are you going to poison me with your remedies?" asked Merthyr hesitantly this being the question that alarmed him the most when the local exclaimed he would barely be able to move by the time he was done.

In all cases and seeing the rag and bowl he knew he was in for an excruciating back rub far removed from the massage he often received in his royal chambers to relieve pressure, stress and muscular strain. He clenched his fist and grit his teeth not about to show them the privilege of screams, though he could not promise himself to hold back hisses or even silent tears if it became painful

At times the treatment could indeed be truly worse than the punishment himself and with a torn back, a cloth looked as threatening as the whip itself.

The boy flashed a smirk at Rin when she agreed to assist. "Well, iffin all goes well, y'won't need to be a good fighter. Hopin' t' catch them unawares. There's lots of hidin' spots on this island." He glanced at the coatl dragon. "Don't suppose you'd be willin' t' help us out with that...?"

Tye paused a moment as Taff confessed his inability to fight to take a deep breath; to one without context, it might seem as though he were exasperated. The thief rested his hand on his chest as he breathed out. "Well, that's the reason I asked... Don't think it'll be easy t' do this alone. I can handle the hard part, but its hard to keep up th' pace. Literally." Thoughtfully he raised that hand to inspect his fingertips, checking for the faint remnants of hypoxia. It was far from his desire to consider these labors so soon after his injury but accepting unfavorable circumstances was the norm to the former street rat.

_

"Wouldn't know." The older slave replied curtly to her first question. After all, he wasn't really a forest druid. After she mumbled nervously about different kinds of ribs he was almost certain the woman said something about touching pirates. He glanced over at her curiously but kept going.

Then they were back at it; her speaking about fluxuating topics and him half-listening while guiding them through the cave."Oh, don't worry. You don't need to be a forest druid at all to figure out what they're saying. It just kind of..." He hesitated whilst shifting a vine out of his path. "...Happens after a bit."

As Mark and the stranger arrived Tye fixed the latter with a wary gaze. "Mark?" He started. In response the older man stepped forward and smiled. "I found her all cold and out in the rain. Couldn't leave her like that, now could I?" The older man's mirthful reply failed to ease the younger one's nerves.

The younger addressed her. "Who're you?" Meanwhile, Mark glanced away and rubbed his shoulder, all too aware of how that question went the last time.

_

Chowder nibbled on his lower lip as Merthyr was manhandled. He opened his mouth to answer the slave-king's question for them but was interrupted by the irritable carib.

"I'm going to drug you into health, daydreamer. But with this medicine you will feel better, but be sluggish and unbalanced. Unfortunately-" The cowled one handed the local man an unfinished mixture within a mortar and pestle in exchange for the soiled waterbowl and rag, "-it will not do much to dampen that wandering head of yours. You'll be dizzy, but you'll be aware. And if Tris wants to argue, maybe he'll reconsider doing that with the man who prepares his medicine."

The carib huffed and finished up grinding the mixture into a paste. Then he carefully administered the paste to Merthyr's back as his assistant exited the shack.

Chowderhead smiled, formerly having no idea what was going to happen either. "Oh! That gives us time to play cards! I think."

The local man shrugged. "Sure...?"
As Rin watched Tye take several breaths, her eyes narrowed a bit and she moved to stand beside him. Grateful for the reassurance of Xochi as the small dragon squeezed her shoulder slightly, Sirina raised her chin and took a breath. Addressng Tye again she spoke in a firm voice, "I said I may not be much help in the fighting arena, but that doesn't mean I am not willing to stand by you and do my best. I am not a coward to run and hide, nor leave my companions to fend off danger alone."

Her gaze was level, and the hazel eyes serious. At Xochi's warning chirp, Rin glanced toward the sanctuary's opening to see Mark arrive... with the new woman in tow. Sirina bit her lower lip as a thread of worry moved through her. There were already enough unknowns. Would the woman turn on them? Why was she here seemingly alone? Still, the woman was here now, and there was no reason not to carry on with plans. She would be keeping a close watch on the newcomer when she could though.

As they approached, Sirina made no attempt at conversation with the woman, but turned interested eyes between her and Tye as the man asked a question Rin was sure would release a flood of words, words that had only a very small chance of actually answering the question. Her clothing, after Sirina had spent a few moments by the fire, while damp still, had begun to dry a fraction now that she'd been out from under the rainfall for a time, and her gender, while not completely hidden again, wouldn't be obvious at first glance.
(( awaiting Xochi's turn))

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Swells of Rage (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus