Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Bad Experiences in RP

I haven't RP'd a lot, but a few things really get to me.

FLAKES: This happens too often. I'm here, getting into my character's head, coming up with ideas, and *poof*, nobody listens. This often happens in combat centric RPS without mechanics.

A shame too, because I get a bit involved. When I have a devious character, I myself start becoming creative. I once planned to mail someone their own severed head. Shame that one died so quick.

BAD SPELLING: The bane of my existence. RP is mutual communication, and if it's hard for me to understand what the other person is saying, I can't have fun.

And finally, most mundane.

POOR KNOWLEDGE: Especially on mental illnesses and history. I laboriously study to come up with convincing characters, sane or not., and one thing that peeves me is the stereotypical "manic, irrational," crazy.

Perhaps it's taste, but I prefer my madness to be more nuanced, to bleed into the narrative, to have a genuinely miserable and unpredictable person as a crazy. Not a laughing clown covered in entrails.
Asroc

GlitterPrincess wrote:
The other thing that I absolutely cannot stand is horrendous writers. Yesterday I had someone tell me that they met my rp requirements. One being two para minimum. Then proceeds to send me a FOUR WORD starter. No punctuation. The writing is everything to me. If one thing gets on my nerves then I can't focus on the story and enjoy it at all. It's my biggest fault I guess you could say.

I had that happen loads of times. I already pointed out I met people who say they wrote books and would gibe a half arsed post. That or use "Too lazy."
Sir_Grey wrote:
BAD SPELLING: The bane of my existence. RP is mutual communication, and if it's hard for me to understand what the other person is saying, I can't have fun.

POOR KNOWLEDGE: Especially on mental illnesses and history. I laboriously study to come up with convincing characters, sane or not., and one thing that peeves me is the stereotypical "manic, irrational," crazy.

Ever had ones who would say "It's the internet! Not school!" when they use that as an excuse for poor spelling?

I seen waytoo many OCs who don't know what "Insane" is. Most I seen do it for the edge.
GlitterPrincess

Sir_Grey wrote:
I haven't RP'd a lot, but a few things really get to me.

FLAKES: This happens too often. I'm here, getting into my character's head, coming up with ideas, and *poof*, nobody listens. This often happens in combat centric RPS without mechanics.

A shame too, because I get a bit involved. When I have a devious character, I myself start becoming creative. I once planned to mail someone their own severed head. Shame that one died so quick.

Perhaps it's taste, but I prefer my madness to be more nuanced, to bleed into the narrative, to have a genuinely miserable and unpredictable person as a crazy. Not a laughing clown covered in entrails.

Yes with the poor knowledge! That gets on my nerves too. I can't stand when someone who hasn't done the research tries to tell me how MY things should be. Crazy doesn't always mean hearing voices or being an axe wielding murderer x.x
Sir_Grey wrote:

All of this. As someone with mental illness, this irks me more than anything else. We're already poorly represented in media. At the very least, proper research should always be done before claiming a character has something like "schizophrenia" (which is not as cut and dry as "hearing voices and having delusions." People can be schizophrenic without these symptoms and still function well in society with no notable differences.)

I've yet to see a character with a well-known mental illness done properly, let alone one depicted as living a normal life, which is a shame. It makes a good story of a triumphant person coping well with their illness and making a new life for themselves while making friends, and many other options as well!
XQK

LightSide-Lucree wrote:
Sir_Grey wrote:

All of this. As someone with mental illness, this irks me more than anything else. We're already poorly represented in media. At the very least, proper research should always be done before claiming a character has something like "schizophrenia" (which is not as cut and dry as "hearing voices and having delusions." People can be schizophrenic without these symptoms and still function well in society with no notable differences.)

I've yet to see a character with a well-known mental illness done properly, let alone one depicted as living a normal life, which is a shame. It makes a good story of a triumphant person coping well with their illness and making a new life for themselves while making friends, and many other options as well!

Y'know...seeing this is enough to make me go ahead and give it a shot, then see what comes of it.
Asroc

LightSide-Lucree wrote:
Sir_Grey wrote:

I think allot of these lack of knowledge type rpers do it for the edginess for their character. Research is everyone's friend. There is no excuse for people not to use Google for research.

I seen memory loss/amnesia done bad as well. Or some sort of head trauma.

Blindness done bad happens as well.

I don't wanna trigger anyone, but when people use or rp rape kind of irks me. Mainly when I see it with cookie cutter type ocs that always have a "troubled" past. Same goes with "dead parents and family member killed said parents and child gets revenge!" Ordeal.
budgieboi Topic Starter

This thread makes me feel worthless.
Asroc wrote:
I seen waytoo many OCs who don't know what "Insane" is. Most I seen do it for the edge.

You mean like the ones who write "insane" or "psycho" in a Personality section? |D

While we're sort of on the "oh god why?," this is one that people on deviantART used to throw at me often when I had wanted to use my skinwalker or werewolf. (They apparently thought it was "the same" or "very similar?") I'm counting them as a personal bad experience (emphasizing personal because this was just something that really bothered me there) I had because it got beyond annoying really quickly and contributed to why I gave up RP on deviantART and am in the process of deleting all my RP stuff from there because it's much better here anyway.

Animal/Human hybrids.
Not only do most that I've seen everywhere I tried to RP not specify how it happened (I always pray that they are a lab grown hybrid instead of some "naturally occurring" one... *cringes*), but they're pretty much always so conveniently the same:
A pretty girl/handsome boy with an entirely human body, save [animal] ears and tail, possibly oddly colored eyes, and sharp fangs, who can function completely normally in society.
How convenient that the only animal DNA that they've acquired seems to be ears, tail, eyes, teeth, and sometimes senses. How wonderful that a cat/human hybrid doesn't have these instincts to maul small animals for the fun of it, or that a wolf/human hybrid doesn't have a prey drive.
They'd be really obnoxious with it with me and I just stopped wanting to use those characters of mine after a while because it seemed to only attract people with these characters.

Cookie Cutter false "animal" traits.
Added onto the above- people will use the false notion that animals, say, wolves, have "ranks" (alpha, beta, omega, etc.). Or that all animals of X species behave in Y fashion.

No matter how many times I would tell people I wasnt interested in that, it was still often thrown at me. Fortunately, haven't dealt with that on this site which is AWESOME. Seriously thank you RPR so much.

The plus side of my... I dunno if you can call it an ordeal, as it seemed dA was just... Odd? In terms of RP like that... Anywho, plus side of me getting those character types thrown at me is that it sort of inspired a new character (pair) that I've been toying with.

So while it was mostly a bad experience/annoyance to me, something good might come out of it?

Anyway sorry for my probably stupid rant.

Asroc wrote:
I think allot of these lack of knowledge type rpers do it for the edginess for their character. Research is everyone's friend. There is no excuse for people not to use Google for research.

Agreed. Heavily. Giving a character a mental illness/traumatic past/etc. for "the edge" or "because it's cool" is more harmful than good. It furthers stereotypes that people who have been assaulted, lost someone, or who have a condition are trying to fight and disprove.

As with the above posts I fully and totally agree with about researching mental illnesses. Google. Is. Your. Friend.

Giving a character ADHD doesn't mean they're just "5o RaNd0m lulz!!!!" and bouncing off the walls 24/7. Oh, your character has anxiety? No, it's not just sitting in a corner, curled up in a ball and rocking back and forth for an anxiety attack (As someone who has anxiety and has a character who suffers from it, this is one of the ones I roll my eyes the hardest at.). Also, gotta love the "my char has schizophrenia and these are their 10 personalities:" types.

You want your character to be neurodivergent (Is that the right neutral term? I don't like using "mentally ill" or similar terms too much...)? Awesome. Go for it. Please do research, though, so you aren't being insulting to people who actually have this condition. You don't need to go get a psychology textbook. I mean, even reading a Wikipedia page for a basic starting point isn't bad anymore because Wikipedia is being monitored more closely.

I immediately shut down an RP with someone once who wanted to use a character with "schizophrenia" whose "personalities" included a few animals along with the stereotypical list of "sweet, 'psycho,' sad, angry, etc.". That was just too much for me to take.
Cassandra 'Cass' Dre (played anonymously)

Discussion thread drift is a thing, but there's a big difference between venting about bad RP experiences and complaining about the types of characters other people like to play. A lot of people approach roleplaying from the position of fantasy wish fulfillment and 'wouldn't this be fun?', and there's nothing at all wrong with that.

You might not like their pretty animal hybrids or wacky crazy characters, but you aren't the audience they're writing for. Personally, as someone who's wrestled with depression my whole life, I find the wacky, crazy, and psycho characters distasteful, so don't write with them. That's not a bad experience, that's simply realizing that what I want out of a story and what they want isn't going to mesh well.

We humans have a tendency to exalt people who like the things we do and look down on people who like things we don't. Resist that urge to be judgmental. We're all here to have a good time. So long as someone isn't actively interfering with your fun, leave them to enjoy theirs, even if you think it's silly.
Churchtuary

Feeling the growing need to emphasises and/or argue with a lot of your guys points since most of those pet peeves are also something I share. However, there is a set of specific stuff that really gets my brain to burn. I mean, isn't lovely when you spend time and anxious effort to try to make up a scene and interact in many ways with your partner's characters and you end up only getting absolutely unnecessary "thoughts" or "inner dialogue" that don't move the plot in anyway whatsoever? I'm not saying that I hate thought posts. In fact, I savor "thought" posts that really bounce on my writing, that reflects the events I have unfolded. Even if the action was minimal from my partner's character, my writing was well acknowledged.

It goes on like this:
>Church character gets into a fight.
>Wins/loses. Consequently seriously wounded.
>Partner character: "oh my god, you're bad. okay bye" *proceeds to write wall of text of inner dialogue and absolutely no remarks about the conflict that just unfolded.

That's how you kill Church's inspiration. This happened to me various times.
Zajawa wrote:

Someone that leaves people they rp with.. without saying a thing and not replying to many questions what had happened shouldn't really rant. Sorry mate but you're my bad experience. End of story.

So I've flaked before. I try really, really hard to not ghost people. I hate it. It feels bad when it happens to you.

But I've also posted, "Hey, you know, not really feeling this. Can we try something else?" and gotten called a whole gamut of names.

Not to mention, depression, man. It's the worst. It is this all-consuming lethargy and all you want is to not exist but you kinda gotta exist and it's terrible. When it's really bad, I don't post. I just... can't. Even sending a message saying "hey I'm depressed" is hard. I've managed it multiple times because I want to be good to my partners and I'm super nit-picky and I know I'm hard to roleplay with sometimes, but it's really hard.

And you add that in to the people who are... crazy, for lack of a better word... and ghosting seems like a really good option.

Also, don't spam people. -shudder- I like people to occasionally post me remainders because I'm a space cadet who reads my posts and then loses the 'new message!' notification and forgets about Everything, but I usually say "give me 24 hours" because I'm one of those one-or-more-a-day repliers.

Sometimes. Depending on who I'm roleplaying with and where the muse is and how long the posts are. Like right now I'm barely managing one a day for my partners. (If you see this: sorry, guys)

But it's really obnoxious to be spammed with 50 messages of 'where are you?' Dude, if I didn't message you the first or second time... it's not gonna happen.

I've also had real life get in the way. Broken electronics is a real and terrible issue. I literally can't reply then.

Also: everyone is allowed to have problems. Everyone has bad things that happen to them. Don't gatekeep. You can say "oh hey, some of these people are flakey, I won't roleplay with them" and literally no-one would judge you, but saying 'you shouldn't rant if you do X' is not the kindest thing to say.

Like I try my darnedest to be a good partner and I very much know I'm not. I screw up plenty. And I'm sure everyone has done things are someone else's pet peeve and that is all OKAY. Because we all have different preferences and do different things and enjoy different scenarios and this is a hobby! It should be fun! And part of that means playing with the people you want to play with and making your decisions about that and sometimes, that means ghosting and not being a great roleplay partner.

And again: if you don't want to play with someone flakey, then don't play with them. If you don't know in advance then that really sucks and isn't fair on you. Not wanting to be ghosted or flaked on is perfectly valid.
Sunflower wrote:
This isn't really in a roleplay, but when asking others if they wanted to do a roleplay and not getting a reply. Ouch. It's completely okay to say that you have enough going on at the moment or that you're not just up for it, because leaving others hanging doesn't feel so great. It's understandable if the player isn't active anymore and most likely won't have read your message. It just makes me feel like an idiot, when I've asked somebody if they're interested in doing a roleplay and they're active like replying in forums and such, but they won't reply to my message, ever

I don't like this either, but I can tell you it's not you. Some people are very popular - they have fascinating plots, characters, whatever. So they will get slammed with messages. If you're getting 10+ a day from people interested in roleplaying with you, PLUS whatever scenes you have ongoing... yeah, it's hard to reply. And even if that ISN'T the case, there's a lot of technical stuff and glitches, or maybe they just don't want to hurt your feelings or something by saying 'no thanks'. It isn't you.
GlitterPrincess wrote:
Enjoying this roleplay that had been going on for a few days then I get TOLD to change things about MY character because they didn't like it.

Why would they do that, that's terrible.
GlitterPrincess wrote:
The other thing that I absolutely cannot stand is horrendous writers. Yesterday I had someone tell me that they met my rp requirements. One being two para minimum. Then proceeds to send me a FOUR WORD starter. No punctuation. The writing is everything to me. If one thing gets on my nerves then I can't focus on the story and enjoy it at all. It's my biggest fault I guess you could say.

Yeah, this bugs me too. I am, sadly, a major grammar Nazi. Typos I can understand. I've also roleplayed with someone who is dyslexic, and plenty of people who aren't native English speakers. This is all fine, and mistakes are made, and no big deal. But if you're not putting any effort into it, if it's all just chatspeak and shorthand... No. I just can't. I actually feel pretty guilty about this preference, tbh.

My GIANT pet peeve: control of my character. Even minor stuff like "[Your character] sat down" or "[Your character] felt really hot, it was like 90 degrees outside" bugs the crap out of me. I play fantasy and I occasionally play stuff with, you know, not necessarily partner-friendly powers and I always want to strangle my partner when they say what my character is doing or feeling. It's so stupid to get SO worked up about it when it's iddy biddy things but like; my character! Even if you're mind controlling them or something they still have their own thoughts and feelings! They are still gonna fight against it and maybe jerky movements or something! Let me... play my character. Please.

...I'm just going to end this giant wall of text with the fact that communication is essential and that there are a great many of excellent and compassionate roleplayers out there. Exhibit A. -gestures-
Kunabee wrote:
Sunflower wrote:
This isn't really in a roleplay, but when asking others if they wanted to do a roleplay and not getting a reply. Ouch. It's completely okay to say that you have enough going on at the moment or that you're not just up for it, because leaving others hanging doesn't feel so great. It's understandable if the player isn't active anymore and most likely won't have read your message. It just makes me feel like an idiot, when I've asked somebody if they're interested in doing a roleplay and they're active like replying in forums and such, but they won't reply to my message, ever

I don't like this either, but I can tell you it's not you. Some people are very popular - they have fascinating plots, characters, whatever. So they will get slammed with messages. If you're getting 10+ a day from people interested in roleplaying with you, PLUS whatever scenes you have ongoing... yeah, it's hard to reply. And even if that ISN'T the case, there's a lot of technical stuff and glitches, or maybe they just don't want to hurt your feelings or something by saying 'no thanks'. It isn't you.

I completely understand that and it's very fair, but it just sucks to be the other one, who's left hanging. Especially if I've never talked to the person before - if they have a reason to ignore me, then it's cool, but they most likely don't.
And just in general, it's saddening when people don't reply to your messages. Of course there's times where everyone has more motivation and energy to reply to a roleplay, message, etc., but when you multiple times contact them and they just ignore you; that really sucks.
Zajawa

Kunabee wrote:
Zajawa wrote:

Someone that leaves people they rp with.. without saying a thing and not replying to many questions what had happened shouldn't really rant. Sorry mate but you're my bad experience. End of story.

So I've flaked before. I try really, really hard to not ghost people. I hate it. It feels bad when it happens to you.

But I've also posted, "Hey, you know, not really feeling this. Can we try something else?" and gotten called a whole gamut of names.

Not to mention, depression, man. It's the worst. It is this all-consuming lethargy and all you want is to not exist but you kinda gotta exist and it's terrible. When it's really bad, I don't post. I just... can't. Even sending a message saying "hey I'm depressed" is hard. I've managed it multiple times because I want to be good to my partners and I'm super nit-picky and I know I'm hard to roleplay with sometimes, but it's really hard.

And you add that in to the people who are... crazy, for lack of a better word... and ghosting seems like a really good option.

Also, don't spam people. -shudder- I like people to occasionally post me remainders because I'm a space cadet who reads my posts and then loses the 'new message!' notification and forgets about Everything, but I usually say "give me 24 hours" because I'm one of those one-or-more-a-day repliers.

Sometimes. Depending on who I'm roleplaying with and where the muse is and how long the posts are. Like right now I'm barely managing one a day for my partners. (If you see this: sorry, guys)

But it's really obnoxious to be spammed with 50 messages of 'where are you?' Dude, if I didn't message you the first or second time... it's not gonna happen.

I've also had real life get in the way. Broken electronics is a real and terrible issue. I literally can't reply then.

Also: everyone is allowed to have problems. Everyone has bad things that happen to them. Don't gatekeep. You can say "oh hey, some of these people are flakey, I won't roleplay with them" and literally no-one would judge you, but saying 'you shouldn't rant if you do X' is not the kindest thing to say.

Like I try my darnedest to be a good partner and I very much know I'm not. I screw up plenty. And I'm sure everyone has done things are someone else's pet peeve and that is all OKAY. Because we all have different preferences and do different things and enjoy different scenarios and this is a hobby! It should be fun! And part of that means playing with the people you want to play with and making your decisions about that and sometimes, that means ghosting and not being a great roleplay partner.

And again: if you don't want to play with someone flakey, then don't play with them. If you don't know in advance then that really sucks and isn't fair on you. Not wanting to be ghosted or flaked on is perfectly valid.

For starters.. before you assume anything about what do I do and how many messages I write to ask about my partner please ASK. And not finding few seconds to reply to someone that took their time to brainstorm with you and rp? That's someone I would simply define as an asshole. I have few simple rules, they are all stated on my profile so situation was and is clear, at least from me side.

I stay with what I've said earlier - someone that 'flakes' or 'ghosts' on others shouldn't complain if he has it done back to them, etc. I take writing very seriously as well as my partners so I want the same treatment back.

Stopped to be kind in this case. I'm a blunt person so stated things how I see them. I don't plan on explaining myself in any way and people always will judge but the question is - why should I care?

"But I've also posted, "Hey, you know, not really feeling this. Can we try something else?" and gotten called a whole gamut of names." - Sorry to hear that, that sucks.
Zajawa

Sunflower wrote:
Kunabee wrote:
Sunflower wrote:

I completely understand that and it's very fair, but it just sucks to be the other one, who's left hanging. Especially if I've never talked to the person before - if they have a reason to ignore me, then it's cool, but they most likely don't.
And just in general, it's saddening when people don't reply to your messages. Of course there's times where everyone has more motivation and energy to reply to a roleplay, message, etc., but when you multiple times contact them and they just ignore you; that really sucks.

Yes, Sunflower. That is the exact thing that makes be go a bit ballistic - the silence from the other side.
Zajawa wrote:
Sunflower wrote:
Kunabee wrote:
Sunflower wrote:

Yes, Sunflower. That is the exact thing that makes be go a bit ballistic - the silence from the other side.

Exactly. Whatever their reason is for not replying to the roleplay, they should still reply instead of ignoring their partner. I won’t get mad over a reply that’s saying that they’re busy at the moment, and want to continue later, etc.
I’ve probably forgotten to reply to some roleplays as well, but if anybody has sent me a reminder about it, I’ve never ignored them.
When i once argued with someone who called my oc r*tarded because they had autism was a pretty bad experience.

Also when people think i do kink roleplays even though i do strictly nonsexual age regression roleplays lots of times lol. They yell at me about it all the time! ♡
Zajawa

Sunflower wrote:
Zajawa wrote:
Sunflower wrote:
Kunabee wrote:
Sunflower wrote:

Exactly. Whatever their reason is for not replying to the roleplay, they should still reply instead of ignoring their partner. I won’t get mad over a reply that’s saying that they’re busy at the moment, and want to continue later, etc.
I’ve probably forgotten to reply to some roleplays as well, but if anybody has sent me a reminder about it, I’ve never ignored them.

Yup, the same goes for me :]

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Bad Experiences in RP

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus