Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Came across this by pure chance when I used my Google-fu while looking for "Pern RP". I admit that I never read the books, but after about two years of roleplaying in the Pern universe I've come to enjoy putting my writing talents to the test. I also used to roleplay in the Dragonlance universe (Krynn), as well as the Warcraft universe. I'll probably create a character or two for any of you Pern roleplayers, but I can't use my two Weyrleaders, my rather flirtatious male Healer, nor any other characters currently in use on other sites as they've become the sole properties of those forums. Now that I've found this place, I plan on sticking around for as long as I can, meet new people, interact with the whole lot of you, and impart some of my sarcastic wit and wisdom.

You'll probably notice in my profile that I claim to be an Alpha Geek, but that's because I've been active in the IT industry since 1997, when I started out as an independent consultant. Not to mention I survived ten years of help desk and desktop support - far beyond the burnout point, but unfortunately it's left me, well, rather cynical for the most part. A touch of insanity, maybe?

Looking forward to new adventures!";
Sanne Moderator

Wow, your super insanity check was really walking the line there!

Welcome to RPR, Doc. :) I have to admit that none of the things you mentioned, with the exception of Warcraft, even sound familiar. That shouldn't stop anybody though! Hi, I'm Sanne, the local crazy Dutch cat lady, Sith Apprentice and moderator. Insanity is a good thing around here. It helps you survive the sometimes very odd situations that arise. XD

What sort of roleplay is it that you do? The most common RP around here is freeform with the occasional use of a dice roll, although preferences vary greatly.

rolled 10d100 and got 510
Crazy Cat Lady Insanity Check! All Capitalized!

Boo

Google-fu? It seems that I may have found a worthy opponent. *Takes a fighting stance.*
Come! Hokuto shinken is invincible! ATATATATATATATA!
Kim Site Admin

I can go so far as saying I remember my family getting Christmas cards from the woman who wrote Pern, back when I was a kid. I loved the books fanatically back then, but it's been so long I only remember the basics about that universe. Very interesting concept indeed, though.

It sounds like you're going to fit in splendidly here, and be making new friends and even new RP characters in no time at all. :) Let us know if you have any questions, even if you think they're silly. Someone is always happy to help!
Minerva

Dragonriders of pern? I think I saw a roleplay of it on another site I go to!

Regardless, welcome.
I read the book "Dolphins of Pern"...if that counts for anything? Otherwise your sense of wit and sarcasm will be a great addition to RPR, as of course will your Roleplaying!

I myself am rather proud of my sense of humor which occasionally escapes me via puns. So...yeah. Welcome to RPR, take a look around, and feel free to PM me if you wanna RP sometime. :)
I have, literally no idea, of any of the things you are talking about, but welcome, and feel free to hit me up for RP anytime
Ilmarinen Moderator

Man, my first forum RPs were based on Dragonriders of Pern! I kinda miss it, but I was always scared about being noncanon.

Welcome, welcome!
DocStrange1 Topic Starter

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I truly appreciate it. *grandiose bow*

Sanne, to answer your question about what type of RP? Yep, I prefer freeform. I don't mind the occasional "restrictive" roleplay where the settings are so defined that you can clearly see them from 90,000 feet up (think the old SR-71 Blackbird), but otherwise freeform is my choice of poison. Be it Dragonriders of Pern (currently playing on DRoP two forums elsewhere as Weyrleader), Dragonlance (based on the Dragonlance books), Warcraft, or (yep!) even Star Wars...

As long as I have some idea of the setting and any pre-defined rules ahead of time, just give me room for my creativity to flow freely.

Boo, I thought I recognized "Fist of the North Star"! Anytime you're up for a good RP sparring match, lemme know. ;)

Kim, unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet Ms McCaffrey before her untimely passing "Between". I've only been actively roleplaying in the Pern universe for the past two years, and my latest venture has proven to be interesting and rewarding. My two Weyrleaders I patterned after two other characters outside of the Pern books; one after a certain character on the hit TV show "NCIS" and the other is from "Highlander: The Series". I'll let you figure out which characters my two Weyrleaders are based upon. And yes, if I have any questions I'll be sure to ask.

Minerva, it sounds like you and I *might* have crossed paths once before, but I can't be certain. Feel free to send me a private message to compare notes?

Pen - don't feel so bad, I never read any of the books! I like to take a "cold" approach; that is, I don't bother reading any source material or books and try to learn my way around. Learning curve tends to be steep, but I find it's easier for me to adapt that way. The only exceptions, of course, would be Warcraft and Star Wars. Any geek worth his or her salt better know at least *one* genre like the back of his or her hand, IMHO.

Heimdall - It's interesting that you mention about forums being non-canon, but that's the beauty of RP. Flexibility.

For everyone else I may have missed so far, once I figure out where I want to dive in, I'll let you know!
Boo

DocStrange1 wrote:
Boo, I thought I recognized "Fist of the North Star"! Anytime you're up for a good RP sparring match, lemme know. ;)
Sure thing, same to you, whenever you want just send me a pm if you wanna RP spare.

You are on: Forums » Introductions » "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus