Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Trick or Treat: Emberlia

Adyr (played by Pantrane)

Aydr narrowed his eyes at the other male when the guy shot him another look. Typical outsider. Aydr could tell the guy must have read about "The Drow" on some biased parchment, written from the perspective of arrogant high elves. This guy probably thought Aydr worshipped spiders and lived in a cave.

His eyes turned warm once they turned to Emberlia. His arm came from behind his back, holding a bottle. It was ornate. with a long fluted stem and a very round shape to the main container. "This is some of the finest web-berry wine to come out of Upper Drowlandia... Right from Nocknost." He spoke of the agricultural center of what's known as Upper Drowlandia or the Five Settlements.

"It's smooth, rich and has a hint of a sedative effect."

Doctors of the surface drow often make medicine from higher concentrations of web-berries. They weren't literally from webs of any spiders, but grew on a type of wispy ivy.
Smiling to the smaller elf, Nuell came into the home with Emberlia's invitation and had a quick look around at the decorum of the abode. Deciding not to get too distracted by the different things that were all new and foreign to him, Nuell directed his attention back to the other two that were present.

And, for a brief second, it seemed that when Nuell looked to Aydr, there was a moment where the drow looked at him in a scrutinising fashion. Almost as if Nuell were not to be trusted, or if Nuell had done something wrong.

In that moment, Nuell quirked an eyebrow in question. He was not quite sure what exactly seemed to spark the negative expression from Aydr when he looked to him, though the sheep-man was not going to say anything in regards to it. No, instead, an ear flicked again as he merely shrugged it off. All the while, he watched as the drow seemed to present Emberlia with her gift -- with what sounded almost like a sale's pitch of one kind or another.
A soft gasp escaped past the girl’s lips. She looked at the gift, her eyes sparking as if this was the best day of her life. She soon started to smile brightly as she clasped her hands together.

“I’ve heard of how exquisite it tastes! We have something like it in Monatial.” Emberlia started to explain. “It is called bonberry wine. It’s made from bonberries, though it is very expensive and the royal family really only got to have it often. I thought it was splendidly delicio—“ she realized her mistake and quickly covered her mouth.

"Bonberries", Aydr repeated. "Sounds like a treat." His mind was too focused on trying to picture the floating island to realize any gaff Emberlia believed she made. It sounded like such beautiful place.

"One day I'll have to visit this Monatial", he said. He quickly continued, "Yes, I've had this stacked away. I figured this celebration in a faraway land was a better use for it, than saving it for my 200th birthday."

He handed the bottle to the host, so she could place it where she desired. "For all the guests, of course."

His description on the bottle did sound like a 'sales pitch', although that term did not exist in Upper Drowlandia. He was a merchant. He spoke in his free time, as he did while working. Perhaps he should have given a more vague and unfocused description of the foreign substance he just presented. Terms like 'it's whatever' also did not exist in the UD.

Farmers and traders were glad to rent space on Aydr's land. It was the first stop off the trail as you entered or left Nocknost. Hundreds or sometimes thousands of people travelled the road every day, it's path twisting just 600 meters from Aydr's home.

One tenant rented space for three months by giving Aydr three bottles of web-berry wine. It showed the value of the beverage, as Aydr could have rented the space for valuable coins.
A small laugh escaped Emberlia’s lips. She did agree on the fact that bonberries sounded like a treat. In fact when she was younger her mother would bake so many treats made out of the berries. Normally the young elf would go out into town and give the treats to those who couldn’t eat to much. Which was quite a few people.

You see, back in those days Monatial was very small and did not have much money. You could say it was a baby village. So the lord and their family would do the best they could to keep their people fed. Eventually the children of the lord started to go out everyday and help in the fields, which helped the food portion grow majorly.
Taffy (played by ConnanBell)

She appeared in a puff of pink smoke, dressed up as a sexy vampire, complete with false teeth sticking out of her mouth. She was going to have people hand her delicious sugary treats just by asking! This was the best time of year ever!

She looked at the first house on her stop, and then frowned. "It needs something," she told herself. She smiled, and then snapped her fingers.

Just then, a pair of massive pumpkins, each larger than the house itself, burst out of the ground. An instant later, they each burst from the inside to form grotesque faces alight with torchfire from inside.

"Much better!" she cooed. She danced up to the front door and tapped gently at the door. "Trick or treat! Anyone home!?"
Emberlia redirected her attention to her door upon hearing the knock. She was ripped from memory lane as she rushed to the door, grabbing the candy bowl in the process. Once reaching the door she stuck out her arm, gripped the handle, and pulled it open.

“Hello i—“ she greeted before stoping mid word at the sight of the girl’s costume. “O-oh. Uhm i-it’s a nice night i-isn’t it?” She questioned, her face darkened a bit. She seemed to be flustered by the girl’s appearance.

The dark elf hovered around the host, moving to the door to see who arrived. He saw what looked like a vampire, complete with fangs and attitude. At first, Aydr forgot about the nature of costumes and this holiday. He thought the guest was a Sanguine Elf, much like ones that haunted the roads between the Five Settlements.

The pleasant greeting showed that the lady was nobody to fear. Aydr stood a few feet behind the host, smiling just a bit in welcome.

"It's a great night!" said Taffy. "So this is where I say the magic words, 'Trick or Treat,' and I get the sweet, delicious candy, right?"

There was a strange kind of hunger in the girl's mostly black eyes. It was the sort of look a wild animal might give when in eager anticipation of slaking a deep seated appetite. Saying no to her now might have some... undesirable consequences.
A small laugh slipped past the female elf’s lips. Her head bobbed in a nod. With every nod her vibrant reddish pink hair bounced and twirled.

“Yes, that is very much correct. Now, here you go, some candy for you!” Emberlia replied, a bit of fear in her voice. She reached into her bowl and pulled out a handful of candy, so dropping it into the truck or treaters bag.

“I hope you enjoy the candy, and happy hallows!” She sang with a bright smile. She had noticed the pumpkins by now. “And thank you for the pumpkins deary.”

Tears almost welled up in Taffy's eyes as the candy dropped into her bag. "Than you!" she cooed. "You're welcome for the pumpkins!"

She turned around to make her way elsewhere.

"Don't forget to feed them!" she called back. "If they get cranky, they might turn around and eat you instead!"

She began skipping down the path before vanishing in a puff of pink smoke. She wondered how long it would take the elf to realize that she was only joking.
For a while, Nuell simply observed the exchange between both Aydr and Emberlia for the time being. He seemed to stay quite kept to himself as they discussed bonberries and other aspects of similar drinks here and there. For now, he would just stay as such till direction was turned upon him for whatever reason. After all, it seemed that the two were having a nice enough discussion without his input.

The knock on the door seemed to grab all their attention, as Nuell leaned over to see who was at the door as well. He had only caught a glimpse of the red hair and parts of the costume before the trick-or-treater went on their way.

"They seemed pretty chipper," Nuell commented, relaxing back where he had seated himself.

"So... back on this topic of bonberries and wine..." Nuell said, giving a smile to both Emberlia and Aydr after the vampire had gone back on her way. "Not to mention the very interesting topic of Monatial. I would love to know more about this land. The teleportation crystals being a necessity to access it draws my attention more. Surely, it is a place of great intrigue to outsiders such as myself."

The drow nodded, having witnesses his first 'trick or treater'.

So that's how it's done, he thought to himself. His eyes glanced at the wine bottle with thirst. It wasn't often that he drank web-berry wine and the taste was playing on his imagination.

"Yes, tell us of the floating landmass... How does one get there? Does the altitude bring any odd feelings?" Aydr had climbed a mountain pass or two in his day and was more than aware of the effects of altitude sickness.. The nausea... The body aches. Surely that land's citizens would be used to the environment.
The elf backed out of the doorway and slowly closed the door. Emberlia was quiet for a few minutes before turning to the boys and smiling brightly.

“Actually you do not notice a charge in altitude, because of the barrier around the island. And there are a few ways to get there. The most common is the teleportation crystal. Then there is the fairie, or if you own a flying creature you just need to buy a ticket and fly.”
Nuell's brow raised with intrigue toward the newer information gained about the lands of Monatial, and he leaned forward to show his interest in the topic.

"That's quite convenient," Nuell said, thinking back on some of his own times of flying as a means of travel. It was never his favourite mode of transportation... but it was at least an experience he was used to. "How is a barrier like that sustained and kept active?"

The dark elf stepped over towards a window where he could see the large pumpkins sitting on either side of the door. His mind played back the trick-or-treaters warning on feeding them. Never seeing such pumpkins before caused Aydr to take her literally. Just what would a pumpkin eat?

Well, if this holiday had any bearing... Then surely candy.

Aydr drifted back into the conversation, listening on the host's latest response.
The elf seemed to hesitate answering the question. She may seem like an open book, but honestly only a few pages were allowed to be read. After a few minutes her mouth finally opened, a reply of words leaving her throat.

“Ah, That would from the magic the royal family holds. Every Monatiala, the people of Monatial, has magic. But the royals have the most … which caused the war a decade ago. 20 some years ago a very powerful princess was born, many people adored and loved her. She had a very nice childhood and loved going out into the village!”

She paused, her face darkening as memories started flooding her mind. She resumed, “But foreigners were wanting her power. The village soon was under attack. The princess was 15 when the crescent moon company took her as a slave, branding her. She later escaped and became a warrior. She has been presumed dead.”

"That sounds like it was really tough for her", the drow added. He could tell the host was haunted by the memory of the event. "It sounds like she came out stronger. That's the sign of someone passing their test in life."

Now Aydr was dying for a drink. He wouldn't wait anymore without just outright asking, "So.... The wine... Now is as good as any to enjoy it, yes?"

His eyes glanced over to where the bottle had been set down. "It's best paired with a story. Maybe you could tell us more of the floating city. Let's all tell stories."
The droopy eared elf was once again snapped back into reality, so suddenly it made her a little dizzy. Though she just brushed it off and smiled kindly. She then nodded and rushed to the counter to grab some cups, once she had them she quickly reached for the bottle before hesitating. She looked to Aydr and smiled sweetly.

"Why don't you open it? You were the one who brought it here. Besides, I am a bit scared that I might break the bottle, I have an insanely strong grip." Emberlia said and explained, a gentle laugh soon escaping her throat, floating throughout the air and into the ears of others.

"If you insist", said the Drow nonchalantly. It wasn't long before he found the bottle opener and unpopped the cork. A few glasses weren't too far either, with the Dark Elf making himself at home. He thought she might want to rustle through her things, but if she invited Aydr to do so, he wouldn't shy away.

Glasses lined up, he poured at an angle against the glass, letting the wine roll into the glass without too much disturbance. Three glasses, three good pours, no bubbles.

"It's as sweet as I remember", Aydr said after his first sip. It'd been some time since he'd last tasted the drink. "Thanks for hosting this affair", he added.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Trick or Treat: Emberlia

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus