Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Mysterious Bandit (Closed)

Atoli (played by Beetlebelle)

Atoli’s nose wrinkled as Haldor grabbed her and took her towards the barn. As he lifted her she bucked and kicked, heedless of his words. This sent a flash of pain throughout her arm and she froze. Despite her abrasive personality and profession, she had a low pain tolerance. After being dropped back onto the ground the harpy winced.

She looked up as Quintus made his way towards them, and watched with growing surprise as he went straight to her and kneeled. ‘Ah, I called his name didn’t I…’ She thought quietly to herself and watched as he placed his hand on her feathery shoulder. Atoli's glassy green eyes darted up to his face, feeling her pale face get hot red in embarrassment. As he leaned forward and whispered “play along”, she gave a small nod in reply and watched him turn away to speak to the others. For a brief moment the girl hunched her shoulders as if cold; partially hiding her face in her fluffed neck feathers, before straightening once more.

As Rufus spoke up and named Iskra as the one who injured her, Atoli’s gaze followed his pointed finger to stare blankly at her. For a moment, the harpy’s face was blank; before a look of cold murderous intent crept into her eyes. “Is that true?” She asked, her tone low.

She paid Taff little notice when he came forward. Only when he put a hand on her shoulder did glare at him; her mouth twitched as she considered biting. Atoli paused, sensing that magic hung around the man. A warm tingling sensation spread from her shoulder to her injured arm. When he was nearly finished she pulled her shoulder away from him and eyed him suspiciously before checking the wound; a throbbing pain remained but the wound had closed up, leaving a pale scar in it's place under her feathers.
Iskra Sokol (played by strawberry_champion) Topic Starter

The woman gritted her teeth, glaring at the men and then Quintus, “Well maybe if someone hadn’t shot me in the leg and shoulder with a damn arrow,” her voice shook, with rage or fear it was unclear, “I would’ve had a clear head to throw. B-But with Pentre out there....” Iskra put her head down and let out a shaky sigh, closing her mouth.

There was a lot to think about. These men had been chasing her with Pentre. If they had planned on turning her over to him, she might die in this very clearing. The only thing separating them was the wall of trees and roots, and the Bandit was fearful of when it would wear off.

Fear. It felt bitter in her mouth, though maybe that was the bile rising in her stomach. Not one to show weakness, though, Iskra wouldn’t be sick. She stared into Atoli’s eyes when the bird spoke to her and didn’t say anything for a moment, and then, in a gruff tone she choked out, “Accidents happen.”

And then, came Taff. At the pressure on her shoulder, the woman let out a small pained whine, buckling a bit and moving away before he had finished; she stared at him, her eyes narrowing as he spoke.

“If I die here, your friend will meet a very unsightly end, I promise you that.” She snarled at him; Iskra wasn’t sure how to prove her identity to these bandits but for now, she was displaying the same behavior of a caged animal, lashing out at everything in range.
Kenji Omari Nu (played by TheLittleWitch)

The small creature seemed pleased with Taff’s offer, the impish grin on her face only twisting wider as she nodded. Her reflective eyes flicked over to Robin and Matthew as they approached, grabbing Taff and heading to the slightly charred barn house. The fae’s cow like ear flicked and she followed on after the trio towards the barn. Her foot steps made little noise on the soaked grass and she seemingly glided along into the barn.

She didn’t draw a attention to her precense, but instead stood off near the corner, watching intently through knowing eyes. She studied the crowd inside carefully, profiling them and learning about them from their appearance and actions. Quietly, she stood near Bart and Taff, just watching, drinking in all she could from the odd gathering of people in the burnt barn.
Jal watched Quintus as he attempted to speak with him; his mind tickled by the similarities of some words but baffled as they failed to come together. He grimaced after a moment of struggling, only to notice that the other man's attention was already pulled away. He lifted a hand as the strange knight stepped away but didn't move to follow just yet, turning to closely monitor the bandits. He then let them take Taff into the barn, lagging behind upon noticing the strange woman the others didn't seem to pay attention to. He strained his eyes but could only tell that she was out of place; knowing full well already about it since her sudden appearance.

So instead of following the bandits, he followed her. When that choice lead him inside he regarded the interior, quietly trying to piece together just what was going on. The knight grew tense with the sight of the three captives and his hand drifted close to his sword again. It stalled just inches away, further indication of his own indecision. Even if he did fight these strangers, there was no way to help the three escape lest the green walls disappear.

The conversation the group had meant little to him but his yearning to understand drove him to watch their body language. Clearly the white-haired woman was ill at ease, similarly to the black... haired? girl. Jal blinked rapidly as Iskra threatened her captors and pawed idly and uselessly at his visor.
Quintus (played by Deathmarch419)

Quintus looked at the assembled group before him, examining them in detail. The 'mercs', in reality slaver scum, were relatively lightly armored, even a skilled knight from this world could, with some luck, deal with them. Next came the young captive and his apparently summoned creature, a humanoid creature that looked oddly alien, the hairs on his neck raised and a small twitch in his trigger finger confirmed to him that it, or she? brought up unwelcome feelings. Regardless of her docile behavior, her examinations of the room and its occupants highlighting her as a possible problem, that was without including both of their apparent use of magic. Finally came the strange knight in glowing armor that talked in pseudo German, he seemed confused as to the occurrences, that coupled with the glowing armor marked him as a wild card. He frowned, in such close quarters it might have been a simple task to eliminate all threats, but with the wounds the two girls had taken, that route of action was highly unlikely to succeed without more harm befalling them. The merc's had misunderstood his worry, which was good all things considered, his cover may last yet.

His attention was taken up by the movement of the magic captive, he hadn't gotten a good look at him with all the action happening, a bit scrawny looking, young too. Edging to the side he got a good look at what he was doing, the wounds on the girls slowly knitting themselves shut. That confirmed it, the boy was magic, more important, the girls appeared fully healed. A smirk found its way onto his face, playing his cards right he could convince the boy to lend his aid to their escape, perhaps even the knight. Looking around the area his plan came to mind, standing he walked towards the only viable entrance to the area they were in before facing them all, his arms crossing.

"I have questions" he stated simply his darkened visor facing Taff, "you will answer those questions"

"I saw what you did to the girls, I want your name, profession, talents, all of it, more importantly, I want to know where she" Quintus nodded to the pale purplish creature "came from, and why a wall suddenly grew from thin air"
Motioning the slavers to bring him forward, Quintus continued, "and you, hired help, will inform me of your occupations and how and why you came upon this case" finally Quintus finished by looking at Jal
"Und Sie werden mich auch über Ihren Hintergrund informieren."
"I'm Aynor, a bounty hunter, they call me the slayer, I'm an assassin, kingslayer, dragon slayer, among others. If it breathes and can die, then I'm the one to make it happen. Former lord ranger and lately swords for hire. I was sentenced to hanging for disposing of abusive lords friends of Pentre and he offered a pardon in return for services, paid services" explained Aynor

Robin, slaver, ... erm... I better introduce myself as a livestock gatherer and trader. I'm an accomplished healer, I was sentenced to hanging for unlawful acquisition of livestock and untaxed tradings, lord Pentre offered a pardon in return for services, paid services

Matthew, impersonator, well... a persuasive educated bard? I was sentenced to hanging for disrespecting authority, impersonating lords, usurping authority and misusing noble titles, lord Pentre offered a pardon in return for services, paid services

Glendale, thief, ... uhmmm... a property valuator, retriever and trinkets expert. I specialize in relocating and redistributing goods... and I was sentenced to hanging for stealing the weaponry from the royal armoury, lord Pentre offered a pardon in return for services, paid services

Haldor, crook, tax evader, cheat, hmmm, unusual not-so-honest merchant ? I make trinkets of all sorts, use, reuse, recycle whatever comes to hand. I was sentenced to hanging for forgery of royal pardons and release orders, lord Pentre offered a pardon in return for services, paid services.

Rufus, mercenary, well... a bodyguard and executioner. I was sentenced to hanging for beating up abusive drunken guards, lord Pentre offered a pardon in return for services, paid services.

"We are all outlaws, as you can see, and we share a different view of justice than the rest of ordinary citizens, while we normally kill those who hold higher authority and are unfair and abusive like Pentre... we were made an offer that was too good to miss, everyone likes freedom and gold, especially if they come together.

The mission was to capture this runaway woman... but we never agreed we would deliver her to him, not when bandits like Onyx pay twice as much... for slaves that are worth the while, like her" muttered Robin looking down at Taff
"I'm Taff Emris Gelligen, prince Merthyr's royal manservant. His highness and myself were on a hunting trip when we were ambushed by bandits from the Onyx clan. They hold the prince captive and I escaped them to try to seek help..." confessed Taff pursing his lips

Accidents happen?...” Atoli muttered. Still glaring, she shifted to face Iskra and kicked out at her from where she sat; clearly not caring for the woman’s excuse. “You nearly cut my wing off!” she retorted. This statement was far from the truth. But to the harpy the pain was evidence enough of what she said. Despite cradling her sore arm protectively, she looked ready to brawl.

Atoli glanced away for a moment to look at the others; making quick judgements of each one in turn. When she looked in Kenji’s direction she quickly averted her gaze instinctively. Magical beings like Fae were best not trifled with when possible…

When Quintus spoke, her movements stilled as she watched him address the others (but made sure Iskra was still in her vision). If anyone of this group would be useful to her it would be him. Though she didn’t understand why he would go out of his way to help her, Atoli was grateful for it. It showed on her face by the lack of her usual insubordinate glare.

Iskra glared at Atoli, “You fail to understand position you are in. Zhey plan on handing you to Onyx.” The grin Iskra gave her was horribly wicked, “And I have little patience for creatures such as yourself.”

And then again, came the mention of selling them to Onyx. Iskra growled, her slate eyes narrowing, “YOU DAMNED FOOLS, I AM ONYX. I’M KING, VHY DO YOU ZHINK PENTRE SO DESPERATELY SEARCHES FOR ME? I ESCAPED GALLOWS BARELY TWO DAYS AGO AND IF HE GETS HANDS ON ME AGAIN, HE VILL EXECUTE ME PERSONALLY.” By the end of her sentence her voice cracked, the desperation clear, “God, just ask zhis Knight! My cloak vas left at his home, he and bird-creature repaired most of wounds! Look beneath bandages on my neck, you vill see rope burn, dammit!”

The last thing she needed was her fate resting in the hands of these fools. There was no way in hell she would trust her safety to a bunch of rouges like this. She’d rather her own men, hell, she’d rather be by herself.
Rufus came over with a grin patting her head as if to appease the exasperated woman.

"Darling anyone who evades sentencing earns themselves a hot pursuit from the lord knight Tron the Terrible and anyone who's near him and not a knight quite often ends up with wounds and rope burns.

We ourselves were taken to be hanged until he changed his mind. Now that doesn't make us Onyx, nor you for the matter... that just makes you an outlaw and a fugitive like the rest here

Besides with that terrible aim of yours I wouldn't even have you as one of us, actually, you're a danger to yourself and to others, so quit dreaming about weapons and bandits and focus on womanly chores, like sewing, cleaning, cooking, sweeping... perhaps some day you might make a good housewife with enough practice." Encouraged and smiled Rufus in a rather patronizing tone

"That throw... it was worse than mediocre, you're not even worth the effort of trying to train you" assured Rufus shaking his head.

_44898278_jonas_bbc_226b.jpg

"Alexei and I are very well acquainted, I used to work and train with him as one of his lackeys before I joined this group... when they turn up, he will decide if he wants to keep you or not, he always gets first picks among our slaves and captives. If he doesn't want you then I will hand you over to Pentre personally so you best pray they find you amusing enough to wish to keep you" explained Robin the slaver

"Aye aye I suggest we gag her well... Dunsten doesn't like anyone passing themselves for Onyx and impersonating them almost cost me an arm... I won't have her costing us the two" muttered Haldor looking at Iskra meaningfully

"Cordel said we might be accepted as part of the Onyx clan if we give their leader a good enough impression. She's a hard to please woman though... only the best will do" mused Matthew getting all chuffed and cocky at the prospect

"Well surely capturing theirs and Pentre's fugitives is bound to get some recognition... maybe... we shall see" muttered Aynor hesitant

"Are we going to them or are they coming here?" Quizzed Bart

"They'll be here any time now, when I was scouting for Pentre I saw Abram, Lev and Layne approaching from the distance, they are a few hours away at most, though Pentre is a lot closer. He was circling the walls that keep us safe... for now... so we know the lord knight is lurking already" admitted Glendale

Quintus spoke up in the silence that followed the merc's talking "The lady's right actually, she left a cloak in my home, one pentre seemed highly interested in. Considering the resources and length of time he's gone after her she must be highly valuable. Which probably means she's telling the truth."
He grinned behind his visor before continuing,

"And that...means you're holding Onyx's leader hostage. If you meet Onyx, and she's telling the truth, you'd be dead men. But let her go, and pentre is likely to kill you all... And that's not considering that you just admitted to wanting to join bandits whilst in front of two knights " Quintus stated motioning to himself and Jal, after a moments pause he made a show of adjusting his forearm's armor casually, the movement showing he was unafraid of those odds if they decided to make a move.

"The way I see it, everyone here has something to gain." He continued whilst looking at each one of them, "Asy... err Iskra.. can get back to her clan in one piece and perhaps freedom if Gelligen get's his Prince back. You mercs get the chance to join her clan or escape. Atoli and I would be free to leave with some convincing to Pentre. And blue over there" he finished while motioning towards Jal "can....I don't know...survive or something."

"If we cooperate we all win"
Kenji Omari Nu (played by TheLittleWitch)

While the others spoke about affairs that neither concerned nor interested Kenji, she had slunk back into the shadows, then became visible again atop a slightly charred ceiling beam. She was crouched on it like a cat, peering down at the group of people, talking about their people nonsense.

When Quintus had nodded in her direction, inquiring about where she'd come from, she only wiggled her fingers at him in a playful way, displaying a large grin with her rows of shark-like teeth. After that, her attention had become fixated upon Taff again, her eyes dark with mischief and mystery. After a while, her cloudy gaze drifted to Iskra, then Atoli, and she grinned widely again. Quietly, more like a background noise behind their conversations, she started to imitate bird noises. The fae was growing rather bored of their mundane issues, she had to entertain herself somehow as she awaited the release of her new companion.

Atoli met the Iska’s glare with one of her own.
“And YOU fail to understand that I saved your life. I deserve the same patience that I gave to you when you were bleeding out on a dark road, when I asked a stranger for help AND carried your heavy lump of a body."

The harpy was practically shouting now in frustration. "I even led you to where I thought would be safe… which you BURNT down!” She added angrily; and bit back more words before her voice became shrill.

She huffed and looked away from the bandit when Quintus spoke back up. After a while, the harpy girl blinked when bird song drifted through the air quietly. The unmistakable feeling of eyes upon her broke her into a cold sweat as she stiffly looked up to the rafters. She dropped her gaze and looked sharply at the magician who had summoned the creature.

“Send it away, I know you can.” She hissed quietly, though she doubted that the fae didn’t hear her. Her feathers remained fluffed instinctively to appear larger, despite internally wishing to be smaller and undetected.

Atoli took a breath and exhaled quietly, considering to herself. ‘I’m not tied up at least, and my wing is healed I think. Just gotta’ wait until they forget about me long enough so I can slip away… But go where?' She thought bitterly. Her temporary shelter was now destroyed and her food stores were all but gone. So much for being independent. She'd likely have to find a group of outsiders and bandits to bring her in again for the winter to work for so she could get a steady amount of food and shelter.

Iskra made it quite clear she was ignoring Atoli; at least, she pretended, turning her head away and tipping her chin up. The cocky bandit wasn’t going to sit there and be scolded.

But when Quintus mentioned her cloak, a fire lit back in her eyes, her smile growing, but for once the bandit kept her mouth shut. It was definitely a better idea than opening it and probably irritating these bandits. If they were all going to have to work together, then she would have to do her best to not piss anyone off. But the smug look on her face definitely made her thoughts clear.

————————

Outside the walls, the small hunting band that came searching for Iskra remained hidden among the trees. Alexei scanned through the foliage, watching for Pentre.

“Are you sure it was her?”

“I know that whistle like I know my own voice.” Alexei grumbled, looking to Dunsten, “Can we climb this?”

“‘Fraid not. This some magic, ain’t sure if...it’ll fire back on us. I don’t like this magic crap.” The man sighed, leaning back on the branch he was on.
Taff looked up at Kenji and lowered his sight guilty for daring to conceal his identity before the fae, the taunting remark from Atoli making him feel all the more guilty.

He dropped to his knees and lowered the head submissively, hands resting on his knees too before the knight Quintus to make the full confession least the fae thought him to be a coward or, worse, a liar. Besides, he was all too aware that concealing information from knights, was in itself a crime.

"I confess that I did not declare the full truth about myself... I confess that I am Emris... I confess... that I was born of magic, that I am made of it and I command it at will for it flows through my veins.

I confess... that I am a druid, a warlock and a dragonlord, the last of my kind, and that I summoned the fae to cowardly conceal my powers from others such as yourselves, because it is a crime punishable by death to wield magic in Camelot.

Should I send her away, as you have demanded, the wall that protects all of you from justice and the lord knight Pentre shall indeed vanish and leave you all at his grasp and mercy. This also makes me guilty of the crime of obstructing justice... but I cannot let her run into harm's way for I worry for the prince's fate..." muttered Taff cringing at having to label himself a criminal, something which was most unthinkable and distasteful to him, who had always been so righteous and observant of the law as much as possible

"I beg forgiveness for such wrongdoings, sir knight..." asked Taff looking up at Quintus and going silent to wait for his reply
"Lads... the buyers ... our comrades from the Onyx clan are here..." smirked Robin knowing well Alexei's voice.

Without further ado, Haldor and Glendale scrambled outside, tossing ropes high up trees to climb over the dirt wall and give passage to the Onyx clan, motioning them to join

"Come... come over... it is safe to cross over it. We were expecting you, we have a very unique captive among us that might be of interest to you... as well as your runaway servant..." prompted Haldor throwing a few more ropes for the bandits to join them whilst keeping the knights roaming outside.

Quintus looked down at the kneeling Taff before rolling his eyes behind his visor. Even the passing of time couldn't fully remove his annoyance at the over dramatization and emphasis on titles and such. Shaking his head he lifted Taff up before simply replying, "if its to save the Crown prince then I'd doubt it'd be considered crime to do all you can to save him". With that he walked over to Atoli and stood near her, watching outwards.

Looking towards Robin and the others scrambling over the wall, likely to get Iskra's people over, there wasn't much left to do other than wait. Crossing his arms he carefully leaned against one of the burned walls watching, as he patted Atoli on the head he couldn't help but yawn, a simple thought presenting itself....would he have enough time for a quick nap?

“Afraid not boys, you’ll have to apologize ta Robin for me. Sir Iskra has gone missing, she was caught by that damned Pentre and we thought she died...” Alexei sighed, obviously tired; he ran his fingers through his hair and shook his head, “Heard her whistling but this....wall showed up.”

“Y’aint seen her, have ya?” Dunsten chimed, “about ye-high, mean little face, yells a whole lot, funny hairstyle—“ he paused, trying to think of more descriptive words, but it was seeming like their captive had been telling the truth.

Iskra was looking more and more smug by the second, half-tempted to raise a fuss as if her half-healed injuries hurt more than they had even done. It sure would put her men in a bad mood, and she was nasty enough to do it to. Her eyes were fixed on Robin, “So vhen my men discover me in zhis state, how vill you explain yourself?” She teased, “Dunsten has been known to have...razher nasty temper vhen men hurt me. Loyal man.”
Aynor came over and smiled at Iskra as if staring at a sweet yet easily won lady, running his finger gently down her cheek and lifted her chin to deliver an unexpected if passionate kiss

"I certainly wouldn't mind a woman like you in my life, honey, who knows I might have to keep you for myself, after all... neither Onyx nor Pentre deserve you after losing you, and this lot fails to appreciate you properly... I for one like playing with fire..." assured Aynor taking a few steps back when Robin budged in, the slaver keen on the merchandise

"You're merchandise, slave, and rebellious merchandise, nothing further to explain there. Now, darling, if you really are Onyx leader and these bandits pay good enough gold for your return, I would serve you wrapped up in fur, with or without injuries, with or without clothes, to their preference. But payment upfront or your shackles won't come off. On the other hand, if there is no money on the table, there will be no delivery and release either. Then Pentre gets your pretty neck ... for a fee." explained Robin clearly having no other allegiance than that of a bounty

"How much you reckon Onyx would pay for you? You're a terrible shot after all, more a liability than a help, and your much too bossy and mischievous, the amount of talking and damage you cause is unrivalled, I very much doubt a man would put up with you for long. Alexei isn't a patient type... come think of it, I'm surprised Pentre didn't have your tongue cut off, that alone is admirable I will have to give him more credit for sure..." muttered Robin

"How much you reckon you could be worth babe? fifty gold? one hundred? Pentre 's offer stands at two hundred for you, they better match or improve the offer..." trailed off Rufus.

Meanwhile, outside the wall, Haldor lowered to the ground, having crossed the wall, ropes ready to return though not at all scared of Pentre since he worked for the callous lord at present.

"We have a slave for sale that fits that description, she is... very ... vocal and she likes to command alright, a bit of an arsonist too and struggles to take orders as well. But I tell you, no way she can be Onyx I have never seen such worse aim in my entire career.

We caught her running off from Pentre but when she tossed the tagger she entirely missed the target and caused major injury to her only companion. No way she can be the one you're looking for. Though you should come check her out all the same, I mean... would you really let a fugitive tarnish your name and reputation without teaching her a lesson? I would have thought you might want to give her the grand opportunity to meet the real deal. Scare her enough to stop impersonating your name" suggested Haldor

"If Pentre gets her back... with such appalling skills and blurting out that she belongs to Onyx, he will think, as we would do, that you Onyx as the easiest clumsiest targets to be had, bad for business to give away such weak reputation..." warned Glendale

"She's for sale, Pentre offers 200 so far, I'm sure you can match that easily, but if after seeing and hearing her, you don't want her either, Pentre is not far off from here, we just hand her to him instead. You guys pay better and upfront though so deserve first picks" mused Glendale

One of Atoli’s eyebrows quirked up at Taff’s words. She hadn’t been expecting a dramatic confession such as this. To the harpy the man’s knack for magic was apparent. She hadn’t considered that the others might not sense it.

Her brows knitted together with concern when the other men left to apparently welcome more bandits. She glanced to Iskra to see her reaction; The woman’s expression did little to soothe her worries. So her clan’s men would soon be here… great… She looked away and combed her claws through the feathers on her arms idly; a nervous habit.

Atoli looked in time to see Quintus help the guilty-looking warlock back to his feet and watched as he made his way to her. She calmed slightly at his presence and stared out at the night outside, looking thoughtful.

When Quintus patted her, Atoli flinched at the unexpected touch and looked up at him, bewildered. Her eyebrows shot up in surprise when she realized what he was doing. She looked down to focus on her hands as her mind struggled to determine how he viewed her. A tame creature to pet? A helpless girl? Or both?...Or neither?

The harpy lifted one hand and carefully pushed his gauntleted hand away. Internally reminding herself that she had a pride to uphold as a harpy; ‘I am the embodiment of storm winds, an agent of chaos, a force to be reckoned and respected…’ She thought to herself repeatedly.

Her cheeks were hot as she glanced up to his visored face before looking back down, unable to see his expression. Her feathers looked as if static was coursing through them as they fluffed around her neck and shoulders in embarrassment. The last thing she wanted was to make an enemy of this warrior, but this odd physical contact was simply too much for her to handle.

As her internal struggle ensued she didn't notice the interaction between Aynor and Iskra nor the conversation that took place.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Mysterious Bandit (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus