Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » A Warrior's Redemption (Closed)

At the moment that Taff began his incantation, the figures all around him sprang into immediate attention, shifting into guarded stances. Snowy and the orange fox, who were closest to Taff, scrambled backwards away from the druid. All were primed for what could possibly be an attack from him. A curl of golden light, crackling like barely-contained lightning, even slithered up and down the arm of the brown-cloaked girl as a clear warning as she brought up her arm to cast, ready for the very moment the orb presented a threat to any of her companions.

However, their attentions were arrested by the images that the orb unveiled for them, though the orange fox in particular took one glance at the orb and chose to keep its grey-blue eyes upon Taff to watch him.

Once the visions ended and the orb was dispelled, the brown-cloaked girl would murmur into the dark. Taff's experience would clearly peg it as ancient elven, regardless if he didn't know what it meant. "Sesa'guïn astjhât ono dhamānkyare, ôru'sunnir iet mysinun." The others looked to her perhaps for some clarity but she merely shook her head, making a vaguely dismissive gesture with a hand.

Snowy's near-translucent blue hues widened at the bandage that was offered back to her, and she looked back and forth between the bandage and Taff's wound. It was as if the latter had never existed, and she cast a glance at the orange fox aside her, who warily trotted up to Taff and brought its snout close to Taff's wrist, examining it closely. After a moment it tilted its head back at Snowy, a question in its eyes before it trotted back to her side. Dumbstruck, Snowy seemed to be at a loss for words. Her eyebrows narrowed as she tried to craft a rationalization as to what would have caused such.

The silence was softly broken by the Toymaker, who released a low, impressed whistle from his seat in the corner. He seemed to have paused in fiddling with something small and metallic in his hands to look up at the orb with the others, though in the dim light of the cave and fire it was difficult to tell what it was.

After a moment, the girl in brown glanced over at Taff. "We're coming with you, if only because our interests line up with such purposes...and don't think for a moment that such purposes conflict. That I assure you."

The man with the mottled cloak aside her suddenly looked up and turned back to face the dark tunnel that led to the cavern's entrance. "Sum'n's comin'," he muttered, his accented drawl heavy. Watching the darkness with a practiced intensity, he stomped his foot. The whole cavern shook for a long moment. Several seconds of tense silence followed before a deep baritone voice resonated towards them.

"By the skylights, Sparrow. You'll have to try a bit harder not to kill me."

A figure emerged from the shadows, a deep blue, bipedal figure, his snout long and the similar cloak like this others, this one a forest-green, swiped over his neck like a scarf. Large, blue dragonic wings protruded from his back, still evident even though they were folded back to their smallest capacity. The firelight glinted and almost shimmered along his scales.

Although most heads had swiveled to him, nobody moved for another couple of moments. Snowy's curt voice took its turn to break the silence. "Answer the question and the question only. What's the name of the dear who couldn't stand our so-called Little Dog?"

"Catarina," the dragon replied after a moment, and all of his fellow cloaked companions in the cavern seemed to relax, as if a held breath had been released all at once. A shared relief coursed through them.

"Hey, glad you made it back in one piece, Windell," the Toymaker waved from his corner of the room as the closed the box-like case, having stored the item which he had been working on.

The man with the mottled cloak--Sparrow, as he had been called--took a few steps away from the girl in brown and walked over to Windell. "How're thin's lookin' 'n Skeio?"

The dragon shrugged. "The call's brought in a lot of people, foreigners or no. It's a madhouse down there," he shook his head. "Though, I didn't find anything remotely interesting..." he trailed off as his eyes found Taff. The hues were a startling color, a black sclera and pupil with a bright, sunset-orange iris. "And who do we have here?" he intoned.
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

Green eyes met green eyes. The stranger immediately hesitated and looked down, inspecting Sakui's arms and armor and apparel. "Aye." He took the card and squinted at it again. Unbeknownst to him, he had a similar reaction to it as Sakui did--a little pang of homesickness, or loneliness, or perhaps just nostalgia.

If the Hanged Man considered Sakui's introduction strange, he didn't show it. His own was clumsy as well, and perhaps unsatisfying. "I ... they call me the Hanged Man. But y-you can call me wh-whatever you'd like." His voice wavered and, though hoarse, was higher pitched than one might expect. He reached out and clasped the younger man's hand.

Duran's abrupt and hooting laughter made the Hanged Man spook. He stared at the sharp-toothed fellow, but shook the hand that was thrust towards him. Both Duran and Sakui might notice that the stranger's hands trembled faintly, even before Duran had startled him. Both that and the stutter seemed out of place on such a worldly warrior.

Something about these people made the Hanged Man smile, a crooked expression that was warped on the left side. He wasn't sure if it was just getting to talk to someone for the first time in a long while, or if it was something more. "Wh-whatever our fourth may be, I-I will keep them--and y-you--safe."

A big pale shape suddenly plummeted out of the sky, broad wings beating as it came in for a gentle landing on Duran--his arm or shoulder, whichever was easier to occupy. It was a crow, white as the driven snow with eyes like garnets. It immediately--unless shooed away--began to pick at Duran's clothing, especially any buttons that might be within reach. "Oh, shoo," said Hangman. "Don't b-bother him."
Callahan Kearney (played by koobler) Topic Starter

While the paladin did enjoy the order in things, the ranger did have a point; this really wasn’t a good time for going through with the trials, especially in such an urgent time.

"Y-yes, My apologies. I wouldn't want to keep these people waiting, not after they've come all this way. We shall pick out some people to come with us. Something temporary. If the Imperials are this close, then there is no time to waste. We are going to have to travel to Cayminster and flush them out." He glanced down at the cards Dana had picked out. "On a quick note, could you show me what symbol you have received, Sir Mark? It might seem a bit unfair to choose a group this instant…. However, the best sort of test I can give them is a crucial situation such as this one. I only hope that it will not get them killed.”

He could feel cold sweat running down the back of his neck. Callahan breathed in and down, air getting caught in his chest and his heartbeat getting quicker. He’d never been so anxious in such a long time. Even when he had fought against the Imperials before, every single time he came face to face with them, fear almost always got the better of him. He never let it show, however. Weakness was definitely not the way.

Soon his mind went to Heidrich. He might hear from later. At least, that’s what he had hoped.

But his first priority was finding out where those damn creatures were headed next.
Lord ranger Mark grinned raising a card that was entirely white, any drawings or markings wiped, he turning it on his fingers to show a knight, switching it again to show an angel, turning it again to show a bear, every swift turn of that same card displayed a different drawing, in the end returning to Callahan an white empty card.

"Rangers can be masters of forgery, thieving and illusions, tell me what you seek to find on the card and it can easily be arranged" saluted Mark "It comes handy when distracting targets" assured Mark looking up the sky, as the hawk squeaked.

Dana chuckled lightly at the question of showing the card, handing hers over to Callahan without even bothering to look or know what her card was, given it would be equally altered.

She looked up when she heard her hawk's unique whistle and stretched her arm forward for it to come to land on her arm. She had sent her trusty spying bird to a recognition task in Caymister no sooner she had received the news back at the outpost and the same bird was now approaching after hours flying.

Dana extended her arm and receive the bird of prey, though, to her surprise, the hawk did not return empty handed, when the hawk flew low, it dropped... the snake. Not just any snake, it was a deadly snake, an exotic kind not known to grow in these lands or kingdoms. She backed away wide eyed at the unusual snake, making no sudden or brusque gestures least the creature attacked.

"The Imperials have captured magic wielders... who knows for what purpose or with what intentions but this snake is not common to this kingdom. If the Imperials knew of it, it would be frozen already and the bird killed... which means they have taken someone with magic, and very recently at that given the snake is alive." mused and muttered Mark

"Whoever summoned this snake needs help and can be good service to our cause too" declared Mark looking at Callahan. He kept sword to hand ready to strike down the snake if nobody else intervened but gave the companions a chance to prove their skill

Taff stood up and nodded at those around him.

"I must find Evelina... every hour wasted her life could be forfeit. If you come with me I cannot ensure you will live to tell the tale or survive the adventure but, doing nothing will only favour the imperials advancing further" muttered Taff bravely, taking the blankets and folding them neatly to return the neat pile back to those around him, his eyes trailing off to the snow outside

"I was hoping the guards might boast and gossip about our warrior's capture or demise but they were quieter than walls, even when asked directly... I had little luck the first time round, perhaps this time I get better fortune" sighed Taff taking up his cloak and wrapping it tighter to venture into the snow

He stared at the card in mild amazement as it switched between symbols. “....You know, I have never met any rangers before. Or at least, in person like this.” Then he accepted the cards from both Dana and Mark, scanning both sides of it before offering a slight chuckle. It seemed as though he was about to say something else, but the whistle of the hawk had cut him off, and he glanced up at the sky. It definitely wasn’t Gallagher (the Special Division’s own messenger hawk), that was for sure.

What was even stranger was that the bird had dropped a live snake onto the ground near them. Callahan nearly yelped in surprise and stared down at it, making sure he didn’t make any sudden moves. This snake looked too exotic for it to be native to the region…. And it seemed as though the two rangers had figured it out as well.

But, magic users? The paladin frowned slightly, obviously pondering why the Imperials would be capturing them. They had all the power they needed…. “I suppose, though, I only hope that whoever did conjure this isn’t dead or seriously injured.” His eyes trailed down to the snake and he bit his lip out of an anxious habit, taking a step away from it. For a few moments he watched as the serpent slithered around and making hissing noises.

“....I truly hope that this one is not venomous.” The paladin always did have a rather profound fear of snakes. But he did his best to hide that fact.

Soon enough he forced himself to stop staring at the animal. There was something more important he needed to be tending to. Callahan looked down into the box, shifting through the cards and seemingly counting them. Then he plucked the remaining untouched card from the box and checked the symbol; a knight.

“I suppose we shall be taking the knights then. And you’ll join them.” Callahan told Mark, handing the card over to him. After giving the snake one more nervous glance (he thought that it stared right back at him), he stepped away, putting the box under his arm and heading up the steps.

“Would the ones who had received the knight cards please come forward?”
Sakui (played by 8TigerBunnyTora)

At the Hanged Man's introduction--if such could even be called a proper one--Sakui couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. He was so used to the idea that his own introduction, without a last name, particularly in formal environments, was so unsatisfactory, that hearing another that was even less informing perhaps caught him off guard a little. After all, what should he call the man? 'Hanged Man', that sounded like such a bad omen, a curse, and honestly he would rather call the man anything else. Even before he'd shook his hands, however, he did notice the slight trembling of the man's hand. The handshake was perhaps lighter than what he expected from the Hanged Man's bodily structure, seeming to pair with his higher voice and his seemingly permanent unease. Though, as he studied the other knight, he couldn't help but see himself, only with the hurt and the pain amplified. Both of them had known war, that much was certain. It was evident in the gaunt shadow of his eyes and the haggard stance that probably made the Hanged Man look older, just as it sometimes made his own countenance seem older. "Is there some other name you'd like to be called?" he asked, unwilling to resort to the denomination that the other man had given. He didn't want to feel like he was condemning the man at every mention of his name.

However, he couldn't help but turn and blink in puzzlement as Duran suddenly bent over double and brayed in laughter. What…what was so funny? Perhaps the slap of the little knight card against his face had been somewhat amusing from another standpoint, he acknowledged, but probably not enough to merit that hard of a reaction. A bemused shadow crossed his eyes when Duran stated that he was also one on their team. He would be an…interesting one, to say the least. Immediately he began looking for combatlike qualities. Duran had quick reactions, that much was sure, though if his interactions with the guards earlier and with himself were any indicator, he would be quite the unpredictable and highly reckless one. "Nice to meet you," he acknowledged formally with a nod after the rogue had officially introduced himself. "In the event that our last person isn't good with ranged attacks, I'll compensate for that role." Although he said this, he didn't appear to be carrying any possible ranged weapon, or any other weapon at all aside from his sword. But the statement had been made simply, as if stating a mere truth. Maybe there was a reason for such.

His emerald eyes darkened with wariness and he actually drew back a half-step as the albino crow handed on Duran's shoulder. The bird was certainly not normal, and if he recalled, crows didn't often grow that large. He couldn't help but glance back and forth between the Hanged Man and the crow, wondering what sort of relation there was. Again, he was a little troubled by what seemed like a bad omen. While the Hanged Man tried to shoo the bird off Duran's shoulder, Sakui discreetly he held up three fingers and touched them to his heart, pushing outward just an inch or so. He allowed his arm to flop back to the side. It was a sign of warding off evil, at least back in the Eastern kingdom. He wasn't exactly superstitious, but moments like these, the old traditions gave him a notion of familiarity and even comfort.

At last he looked up as Callahan called out for the people who had the knight cards, and he gestured lightly towards the paladin with a slight turn of his head as he glanced back to the other knight and the rogue. "We should go. I'm sure we'll have another teammate found eventually, if this is really going on…"
The girl in brown, whose amethyst eyes had perhaps gained a touch of irritation to them, shifted her weight briefly as she kept her eyes crossed, and at Taff's implicit warning she rolled her eyes. "Don't think we're not unfamiliar with danger," she retorted curtly. "We're going with you, if only to accompany you to Mallicourt and then go about our own purposes. Should your precious Evelina be there, then there would be a sizable guard on site. That should be enough to get attention." Her eyes perhaps darkened a shade or two, before she glanced at the others.

Immediately the others began to react, again as if some unspoken communication had coursed between them. The Toymaker clasped his metallic case shut and grunted as she slung it over his shoulder releasing a breath as he stood to his feet. Snowy brushed a lock of long flaxen hair behind her ear before she gathered a handful of dust and dirt. Windell, the dragon, was still prepared to travel, and for the time being he eased his forest-green cloak to shield his leathery sapphire wings from view. The girl in brown quietly turned and walked out of the cave, the dusky-skinned, mottled-cloaked Sparrow trailing behind her as he had done before.

The orange fox stretched its limbs and yawned before it too began to shift. Orange fur gave way to black cloth, and the shape near Taff grew until a tall man, this time with a black cloak, stood from his all-fours position. Wisps of orange-blond hair peeked from the black hood, the additional black mask only leaving his eyes and the skin around them visible as he dusted himself off with one hand, a sizable spear comfortably in the crook of his other elbow. He was about to turn to help Snowy when he paused to look at Taff. "Please, don't allow yourself to be bothered by Xyla." It seemed that he was referring to the girl in brown. "She's quite the temperamental one, especially as of late." His kind, stone-blue eyes seemed to fit with the smooth, almost formal diction that he spoke with, his voice a rather soothing quality like a summer rain, much in a contrast to Snowy's clipped speech. "Taff, was it?" his eyes smiled as he held out a hand as almost a peace offering. "Allow me to apologize for her rudeness. You may call me Maestro. My other compatriots are Snowy, the Toymaker, and Windell," he gestured to the others in turn with his other elbow for the druid's benefit. "Xyla and Sparrow are waiting for us. Together we are simply known as the Treasure Lamp. Pleased to make your acquaintance," he mused.
Duran (played by Forta-ver)

Whatever Duran was about to comment on next, it was cut short by a large flinch and the ducking of his head. The gesture caused a muffled clatter of wood against leather and left plenty room for the pale crow to land (and easily pass across) on either shoulder.

No buttons greeted its curious tugs, but the leather cord lacing his cloak was fair game. Tugging one way would tighten its knot and tugging the other would work it loose, but neither seemed to worry Duran. His eyes remained on the bird.

Though still tense, his wry smile returned and he straightened up. Mostly.
Slouching seemed to be Duran's thing.

"Huh. Yam used t'say crows were foul omens, but white birds were good luck. What's that make you, bird?" He offered it a quick, but oddly gentle, stroke to its neck-feathers. That was it, though. He knew how sharp a bird's beak could be and he wasn't up for testing his luck further.

Then the directions drew his attention to Callahan and he grinned. "And away we go!"
And into the crowd he went, slipping between some groups and bumbling through others in a somewhat loose and comical zig-zag towards the steps. Made somewhat more difficult by the ring of people forming as they backed away from--

Breaching the circle revealed the snake and Duran paused just long enough to watch it hiss a warning. He rumbled a low growl back, drew just close enough to bring his spear to bear, and struck. The arc of his weapon swept it skyward, now in two pieces. The backswing cleaved those two into four. And a twisted flurry left those in numerous chunks of meat and bone. The blade remained pristine - as though it had some protective coating or had absorbed the blood that may have touched it.

As its body hit the ground, Duran scowled. He continued forward, taking care to crush the snake's head under the heel of his boot and put more distance between the bits that remained. Then finally, he seemed to be at a loss. He didn't want to touch the snake with his hands, but one couldn't bury it under courtyard stones. It wouldn't be a good idea to leave it twitching here in the open..... The heck would he do?

Irritation and distress played across his face, though his eyes seemed pale and dull.

Then he turned to the nearest person - a stern-looking woodsman - and tilted his head. "You got any fire or anything to get rid of this?"

((Sorry for the wait!!))

The Hanged Man shrugged meekly at Sakui when the younger fellow asked for another name. "I have lots of names. Scars, Crow, Hangman ... and all manners of ugly insults, of course ..." He waved a flippant hand then brushed his shaggy hair behind an ear. The names all seemed fitting, somehow, though it was clear none of them were his birth name. "... like I said, you're welcome to give me another one. A name, that is--not an insult." The longer he talked, the more graceful his speech became, as if he were adjusting to speaking again after a long period of silence.

Meanwhile, the crow seemed enthralled by its new plaything. First it tugged left, then right, then left again, over and over until it quite suddenly lost interest. It hopped off Duran's shoulder and landed on the top edge of Hangman's shield instead. "It's a nuisance," the stranger grumbled to answer Duran's musing, though he didn't bother the bird anymore. If he saw Sakui making the ward against evil, he didn't comment on it.

The Hanged Man looked up at the Paladin, then set off to see for what they were being called. Perhaps the trials were about to begin, but what about their fourth? He didn't have long to muse, for it was then that Duran leaped forward to dispatch of a snake. The sharp-toothed fellow was handy with his weapon, and his aim was true. "Knights here!" he called to Callahan. "Wh-what's a serpent doing somewhere so cold?"
Mark quickly swipped the blank card, unnoticed by Callahan and passed the other back to Dana who crafted the knight figurine they were supposed to have.

"Well, well, from rangers to knights... here it is sir" offered Dana back with a broad grin making sure the rest of the party saw her card so as to wipe out suspicions.

"A snake like that doesn't grow in this region, it was summoned by magic, which means... the Imperials are dragging a sorcerer among them and a powerful one to summon a snake of this kind out of... rope???" quizzed Dana watching as the cut up snake became but torn pieces of a rope

Mark grabbed the coarse rope, smelling it, feeling it in his tact.

"It's from the village they have just taken... smells of the forestry there" muttered Mark handing it to the rest of the group to sniff it and get acquainted with the region.
Taff nodded drawing a warm smile at the reassuring words

"Pleasure to meet you Maestro and Treasure Lamp. I have heard of some of your ventures and I must say it is an honour to meet you all in the flesh" smiled Taff

"My name is indeed Taff " nodded Taff distractedly giving out his name "the royal manservant at the queen's service" grinned Taff stretching the extended hand warmly

"No need to apologize over Xyla, my friend, no harm done for sure" accepted Taff "Is there a reason for such distress from Xyla, besides the Imperials presence?" asked Taff curious if concerned looking ahead

He took a nervous breath tugging at the cloak.

"Just hope the Imperials do not find me this time. I have yet to figure out what they wanted me for and what they have done with warrior Eveline" admitted Taff stepping out into the merciless weather, the whipping winds and blasted icy snow storm to follow them out

Callahan hated snakes. He could always bring himself to kill one, but he found that he really, truly could not even stand to look at this one. Though once some of the people he had called came over, he watched in half surprise and half amazement when the silver haired man chopped up the serpent in such a professional way. The paladin watched as the pieces fell, feeling slightly sick, but when they had morphed into rope, he stopped himself from vomiting. He supposed that would explain the exotic species of snake simply appearing out of nowhere. It wasn’t even a real snake. And the news that the Imperials were lugging around a magic user stuck together with this newfound information rather well.

But before he could speak on this matter any further, Callahan turned to the knights’ team that had gathered a few feet away. With a light sigh, he wiped his forehead, more sweat already beginning to take the places of the droplets he had only just wiped off. The direness of the situation had gotten him anxious, as always. But he had to press on.

“Something urgent has come up. The Imperials have just recently overtaken a village not too far off from here. And judging from this snake conjured from rope, they appear to have abducted a mage and are holding them hostage. I have selected this group to head out to the village and investigate. Now I know that this is sudden. However, I feel as though no silly tests will prepare you enough for the true enemy. I speak from experience. But worry not! The Glorious One lights your path! ….And I will be accompanying you four as well. So you truly have nothing to worry about.”

….I hope.

The paladin offered a somewhat anxious grin. “Ah…. Let us hope we won’t die!”

By my sword, I look like a total fool.
Sakui (played by 8TigerBunnyTora)

Sakui glanced back and forth between the Hanged Man and the large white crow sitting ever so pompously upon his shield. "Crow would seem fitting, if you'd be okay with that," he admitted, now slightly more comfortable with a more acceptable name. He would remain wary of the large white bird, as white was often a color of mourning, paired with a crow which was often associated with malevolent, or at least uneasy, tidings. Back in the Eastern Kingdom, anyway. He didn't really know how things worked here in the Northern Kingdom. Even despite living here for the past year or two, he'd kept mostly to himself.

He had stepped forward with the rest of them as those with the knight card had been called for, lagging behind the other two and looking on. He was quite impressed with the speed and dexterity with which Duran had completely dispatched the snake, and he raised an eyebrow. That would certainly teach him not to make any sort of assumptions. Light-footed, light-fingered, agile; Duran was definitely going to be a useful combat resource…when he could keep his focus.

He had been about to ask about their fourth member, but the Hanged Man, or Crow as he would now refer to him, had beaten him to the question, so he remained silent. He watched as the rope was being passed around, and there was a small pang. He longed for Tempest. The horse had been his constant companion, and although he'd ridden other mounts before, none were as responsive or reliable as the Raiu. Of course, he wouldn't really be looking forward the trekking the whole way either.

The younger knight released an unimpressed breath from his nose at Callahan's evident anxiety. There were of course times in which acknowledging the dangers of the mission were beneficial, but a leader was to be a role model, to inspire and enliven the troops, to command respect, acknowledging the burden of risk but taking the necessary steps to overcome it. Not to be quaking in the boots. He averted his eyes, wondering if, given that these missions succeeded, he could be given clearance to comb the Northern Kingdom for the still-missing Prince Laedron of the eastern. It was that which gave him the motivation to push aside these judgments and pay attention to what his goal was.

When it was his turn to take a look at the rope, he examined it. The rope was definitely frayed, as if it had been rubbing against something. Had the mage been bound? Then, following that logic, why would the rope have been turned into such a venomous snake?? The idea confounded him.

He glanced back and forth between Mark, who had handed him the rope, and Callahan. "If I may. Once we're in the forest, I have a friend who might take a look at this and maybe give us a path to where this mage might be, as it's likely no longer by the village if the Imperials keep moving." He imagined that maybe Tempest could read the magical signature better than he could. Hopefully he was okay with whatever errand he had vanished off to.
"Nice to rub shoulders with ya," the Toymaker waved jauntily at Taff from his far corner of the cavern. Windell and Snowy simply nodded their welcome, the former a little more open-minded than the clipped motions of the latter, who cast her handful of dust into the flames to douse it, momentarily shrouding them all in darkness.

It was another moment before there was a clink of stone against stone and a soft blue light that came from Snowy's direction, illuminating the cave dimly. She was holding a small, glowing crystal, and took the initiative to head out towards the tunnel to the entrance after stamping out what was left of the firepit, scattering the ashes with a sweep of her heeled boot. Her white vulpine tail, which had apparently remained even after the transformation, could be seend briefly before being hidden in the shadow of her cape-cloak. "Come on," he nodded to the males in the cave with a tilt of her chin.

Maestro walked aside Taff as they headed out, with the Toymaker behind them and Windell taking the rear. "In accordance to your question," Maestro mused in a meek voice, "It is something quite private, something of a shared burden amongst us all. Though, it affects her most as our leader and friend…" he trailed off as he caught sound of arguing in hushed voices that echoed throughout the tunnel.

"Y'can't jus' go g'lumphin' about, you're gon' risk all our necks for somethin' we're not e'en sure we're prepared for." The male voice belonged to Sparrow. "Ilias wouldn'ta wan'ed this--"

"Ilias, isn't here anymore," Xyla's stung and yet defensive tone cut him off. "Are we really just going to stand around and just allow what happened? Just let the Imperials get the best of us? I don't care if you guys come or not, I'm heading to Mallicourt either way…" At some unspoken signal, and just when the light of the outside blizzard could be seen at the opening of the cavern, Sparrow and Xyla simultaneously fell silent and looked towards the others that were coming out. Xyla released a small huff. "It's about time. If we're heading towards Mallicourt, it's this direction." She indicated to the correct direction, but in almost a casual, flippant manner. "Let's head out."

The group shifted almost into what seemed to be a predetermined formation, with Taff somewhere vaguely in the center. The Toymaker in particular didn't seem concerned or anxious about their situation, lightly whistling a tune to himself.
Duran (played by Forta-ver)

Duran paced stiffly when the snake remnants changed. Magic. Friggin' transmorgifying magic. Of course! Why should it be anything else?

He wanted nothing to do with the rope, gladly letting it pass through the others' hands (hands he would also avoid touching later). Why anyone would touch the work of some unknown magician was beyond him. Any person who could transform an object was threat enough, even had they not made it a living creature. For that to hold over such a distance? Dangerous beyond measure.

Lengthy transformations sounded too much like curse-work. And curses were the only kind of magic Duran feared. His lip curled in disgust.

"Do we have to?" he grumbled, leaning lazily (using the spear as a fancy walking stick). Then he sighed and stopped slouching. "I mean, heading there for scouting's a good idea - always good seeing yer foe coming, and all. Just..."

Pale eyes swept back over the rope - now in Sakui's hands - and Duran shook his head. "I don't like the idea of lingering too long looking for a guy who's probably already dead. Or will be by the time we get there.... Just seems like a good way to waste even more 'a your good Kingdom's protectors. Guided by some, er, Glorious One or not."

The Hanged Man didn't take the rope-snake as it was passed around. He knew very little of magic, nor snakes and ropes for that matter, so he remained quiet while the others discussed the matter. Green eyes picked everyone apart. The two rangers seemed competent enough in their strange ranger ways, and Callahan sounded almost as nervous as Crow usually did.

"I think w-we can agree on that," he said after the paladin finished. He cursed his stutter. Being among people after such a long stint of silence, he was acutely aware of it. He looked to Duran. "Mmm ... if they bothered to tie up our little w-wizard, I'd think they w-wanted them alive."

The crow let out a hoarse croak and took off from its perch atop Hangman's shield. Whether this was a good omen or a grave one was yet to be seen.
Taff Gelligen nodded at the bandits, tugging the cloak closer to his body and walking among them.

Where they were headed to, they would certainly find the Imperials or evidence of their recent passing through, even the dire danger of getting caught yet again. He wasn't fond of that possibility but he had to find and heal Evelina at all costs for much depended on her return and presence, starting with the army's discipline and soldiers' morale

"It is not too far away, hopefully we can get there by sundown" gauged Taff looking up at the daylight to estimate the hour of the day, time of travel and their arrival time.
"We'll make it afore sundown, don' worry," the lanky Sparrow drawled with a nod, his snow-forest-mottled clock bobbing slightly as he did. He allowed himself to drum his fingers against the satchel that was slung over his shoulder as they walked. "At least, s'pposin' that the snows don' pick up too hard…"

"I don't even know why you guys brought me," the Toymaker whined, making a helpless, palms-up gesture. "Humans don't do as well as you guys in the cold, and the presence of a chill factor means that there's a reduced effectiveness when it comes to the contraptions--"

Maestro released a warm chuckle, interrupting the tinkerer's rambling before it got too far. "Do you really think that we're going to leave you at the shop all by yourself?" he teased. "You might blow up the place."

Snowy scoffed as she pinched the bridge of her nose, after tucking a lock of long flaxen hair back into her royal blue hood. "Ugh, don't remind me. The smoke alone was suffocating enough," she muttered beneath her breath. "Weeks of herbs ruined…"

The Toymaker huffed good-manneredly. "That was one time!"

The green-cloaked Doppler Windell and the brown-cloaked Xyla had remained silent for the time being as the others continued to banter, the former taking up the rear of the formation and the latter at the fore. The Doppler, keeping his dragonoid form, kept his sizeable tail upon the snow, sweeping away the group's footprints as they passed to erase them.

Xyla suddenly paused, and the rest of the group did as well at the signal of her upraised hand. She glanced back, towards where Maestro and Snowy were positioned in the formation. "Something's coming towards us from your direction, and fast. Scatter!"

After a few moments of hesitation, several of the Treasure Lamp's members glanced at Taff before they began to branch off in different directions. It would be up to the sorcerer to decide with whom he would go with.

His eyes eventually trailed over to one of the people in front of him, and what caught his attention was the expression he had.

The paladin knew that look. It was all too familiar; it was criticizing—no, scrutinizing him. This never happened when he was put under pressure. When things got rough, he never backed down. But this…. This was different. All of this felt different. He didn’t know what was wrong. But whatever it was, that thing the only excuse he had for feeling this way.

You’re the last line of defense right now. If you’re cowering like this, then who will the people look up to?

The paladin took in a small breath. It didn’t take long for him to force himself to calm down. Now he looked more mentally prepared to take on this challenge. Well, more or less. He wasn’t sweating anymore, and his anxious smile had disappeared. But his heart was still beating out of his chest. At least that was easier to hide.

“….Sir Mark here will be accompanying you three as the fourth.” He began. “We have to put our attention towards the town that has just been recently attacked, to scout and possibly find where our enemy is headed next. Hopefully, we may even be able to find this apprehended wizard, but if not, then we should be able to put our focus elsewhere.”
Given the Toy maker had been the friendliest, Taff followed him wherever he went. He wasn't sure how far the Imperials were but to him it felt as though the Imperials were closing in on them rather than the other way round

Mark rested the hand on the hilt of his sword and followed Callahan and the group as one more among them.

Dana followed nearby but either vanguard to scout ahead or rear guard to watch out for ambushes, concealing herself among other passers by or nature's growths, or climbing high up trees as the situation required off her

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » A Warrior's Redemption (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus