Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » A Warrior's Redemption (Closed)

Sakui (played by 8TigerBunnyTora)

"Mmph!" The involuntary noise escaped him as Duran collided rather solidly into him, though somehow he managed to keep his balance. Sakui exhaled a moment to regain his bearings, his arms lightly spread. "It's alright," he mused almost automatically in response to the offered apology, letting his arms flop back to his sides. Normally he'd be able to tell by the signature of a person's life force if someone was about to bump into him, but in this crowd of people? Unlikely. Like trying to track a single firefly in a field of many.

At the mention of calming himself down, the barest of a smile couldn't help but touch the edge of his lips. Duran certainly looked nervous. Was there something to be nervous about aside from the fact that they were all about to be tested? The man's paranoia looked to be something beyond simply being nervous about the upcoming trials. It almost seemed as if Duran had done something questionable and now wished to leave. Of course, there was really no way to tell, Sakui could only speculate.

He amused himself with listening to Duran's absent ramblings. "Archer...you mean the cervitaur?" he asked absently, glancing over to where Madison was. "I agree. Having close-range and long-range are crucial for a battle, and then someone who's able to coordinate the attack well," he nodded.
Taff smiled warmly at them and nodded

"Tell me friends, where are we at the moment?" asked Taff looking at them. He accepted the drink and downed the vial without asking questions as to what it was or what it deed.

The advantage of being immortal was that he could not be killed, the disadvantage of course was that torture could become endless if he fell on the wrong hands, again. He would have to be careful about those frozen creatures after all.

"And have you seen or heard anything about a human warrior, a woman by the name of Evelina Winther?" asked Taff focusing on the quest at hand which was to locate the missing leader of the armies.
Snowy, as the woman had been called, tilted her head thoughtfully at the latter question, but the Toymaker spoke first. "Evelina Winther, huh? Been hearing that name a lot around here. Goes without saying. But, makes sense, with such a big name going missing, and all o' that." He made a vague, dismissive gesture with his hand.

Something twitched beneath Snowy's blue hood, though in the dim light of the fireplace, it was so quick that one may have thought they imagined it. She turned her attention back to Taff, pleasantly surprised that her remedy was being accepted without any form of questioning or opposition. "That's a large name slipping off your tongue in the short time we've met," she observed. "But the answer is no." There was something of a cutting simplicity with her diction. "As to where we are, we've merely taken refuge from the snow in a cave not too far from where we found you. Perhaps a kilometer or so."

"Everyone kept saying they felt a vibration in the ley fabric or whatever it is," the Toymaker remarked.

"Hssst," Snowy shushed him, casting him and irked glance. "Why don't you fiddle with your little gadgets or something, might be useful later." There was an exasperated note in her voice.

"Aw, don't be like that, we all know that my lovelies don't function so well in the cold," the man sighed, though he did ease a large case from where it had apparently be slung behind his back. It looked like a boxlike instrument case or a small chest. He opened it, though Taff would not be able to see what lay inside from his angle.

"Let me see your bandages," Snowy directed Taff quietly, holding out a hand. "I don't think that we'll be able to answer your questions, but perhaps you might be able to answer some of ours."
Taff felt rather disheartened. Not only these travellers did not know about Evelina but also they had just confirmed he was barely a kilometer away from his last location, two at most from the frozen village and thus close and nearby those creatures that had captured him. Danger, whilst not imminent, was certainly lurking too close for comfort.

He had caught the quick shift but acted as if nothing was noted or amiss. It was clear they were hiding information and valuable details but he played along to his saviours for now

"If it can be done... certainly" nodded Taff in an amiccable tone

"What is it that you wish to know?" smiled Taff warmly from time to time gazing at the camp fire flames before returning his blue gaze at Snowy
Duran (played by Forta-ver)

Duran nodded sagely in response to the question. "One. And. The. Same!" He emphasized each word, glad this stranger agreed. "I'm sure she'll be a great additive onto any team she's stuck with. And with her spindly legs, I'm sure she can get away just fine if the rest of her group turns out t' be duds."

Then he sighed. "I's just a shame the teams'll be all random and stuff. Otherwise I'd be lookin' to call people over and start stratiegerizing."

If he was aware that wasn't the right word (or a word at all), Duran made no indication of it. Instead, he fidgeted with his ratty cloak and picked at his elbow. Occasionally, the muffled clack of wood could be heard when he shivered or fought to pull his cape closer. It really didn't seem to do him much good...

"Heck, I'll probably be a good additive, too - s'long as the rest of 'em aren't bossy dicks and let me do my job. And, y'know, don't get up under my feet. Unless they're sturdy and don't mind being stood on, 'cuz I could use that, too." He looked back up to the stranger, but Duran didn't expect him to still be listening. If he were, it'd be a pleasant surprise. Worthy of a toothy smile, even.

"You look quick. Issat true?"
Snowy looked perhaps a little irked now that Taff had left her hanging. She had asked for his hand so she could take a look at the bandages and perhaps apply a little more salve onto the punctures, and he had yet to give it to her. However, she wasn't going to wait. She narrowed her eyes, letting her hand drop as she shifted her weight. She seemed to consider something briefly before she exhaled softly through her nose. "I think we should wait for the others," she muttered softly. "I'm sure that you don't want to have to say your piece more than once." She glanced over at the Toymaker. "Do you know if Windell made it back yet?"

The Toymaker shrugged, pulling something thin, a tool of some sort, out of one of the many pockets that lined his person. "I probably know as much as you do. I hope he gets back soon, though, so we can move out."

Padding footsteps greeted the ears and the small twitch again manifested itself from beneath Snowy's hood, and she looked up towards the opening of the cavern. The Toymaker too looked in the same direction.

The orange fox from earlier had returned, but with two other upright companions. Both had hooded cloaks similar to the ones that Snowy and the Toymaker were wearing, the only differences being in the color and the brooch that held them together. The brown-cloaked figure, a female, had a round brass clasp while a slightly taller male in a mottled white, black, and grey ensemble had a simple dull iron fastener.

"So you're awake, I hear," the girl in brown mused as she entered the cavern and paused, keeping the fire between her and Taff. Like the others, these two also seemed to keep the bottom of their faces covered with a black cloth. He looked him over for a few moments, the firelight glinting off her bright, amethyst-colored eyes. "Though, you interest me. Who are you that the Imperials should take a special interest in you?" she wondered aloud.

Sakui had kept Duran’s chatter at the back of his mind, as he had still been listening for any more instruction. Hearing none other and with the bandit’s voice reaching his ears once more, he did glance towards him briefly. The man seemed to keep his mind busy with idle, possibly mindless chatter, it seemed. Whether this was a general coping mechanism or simply an overt attribute the man possessed would be seen eventually. If it would even matter. He may not even be paired with him. Anything was possible.

But, Duran was addressing him now, and it would only be polite to respond. “I like to think I am, at least,” he replied modestly with a shrug. “I have a fair amount of experience. I guess it would be up to the judges, or whoever’s going to be watching the trials, if such is enough. After all, such a task force that the Northern Kingdom needs only asks for the best of the best.” There seemed to be no boast, no condescension, just a small acceptance of what was.

Sakui could feel the familiar tightness in his stomach, the sort of anxious anticipation that came with the knowledge that combat was about to commence. The feeling was...almost welcome. Waiting here for the trials to begin made him flash back to the times when he was even younger, being scrutinized for the army’s recruiter. His skills would be tested, and he would demonstrate them. As before, he would be judged. The familiarity and deja vu, at least this deja vu, made him feel quite better. He offered a small trace of a smile to Duran. His eyes were a bright emerald green, and he had a rather youthful face of someone in his mid-twenties. But despite that there was a quiet countenance among his visage that may have made him seem a bit older.
Callahan Kearney (played by koobler) Topic Starter

He took the time, letting the crowd talk amongst themselves about the information he had just dropped on them. Now he began to get a little bit impatient—when was his friend going to get here? She was known for being late and not caring about the most trivial of situations, but this was a serious matter.

Ultimately, he decided to push it to the back of his mind. There were more pressing matters he had to attend to. Like addressing the crowd again, for instance. First he waited a few moments before clearing his throat again to get the people’s attention.

“Now, it seems as though this new information has set in your minds. I believe we are ready to begin—but firstly, your teams. I don’t believe you have been acquainted with each other so much, but just in case we won’t have any friends teaming up with others….” Callahan trailed off, then he went back inside the castle, closing the doors and leaving the crowd there.

After a few moments, the doors opened, returning with something in his hands; a wooden box with a multitude of cards in them, all in a horizontal position which obscured.

“Now, as you can see,” he held it up so it could be more clearly studied, “I have cards in this box. You all will pick one from here. Each card has a different symbol on them; a crown, a sword, an angel, a horse, a knight, a diamond, a hawk…. Well, I believe that may be it, but I have to get to the point here.” He cleared his throat a bit more. “There are four of each in here. Whichever you get, as well as the others who get the same symbol as you, you are partnered up with them for the remainder of the test.”

It was a slightly inefficient way, sure, but what could you do? All Callahan hoped was that there were enough cards for everyone. There seemed to be about…. Thirty two people here, if he wasn’t mistaken.

“Now, I want you all to form a line in an orderly fashion and pick a card.”

The people obeyed, moving to make a single file line in front of the paladin to receive their card.
"I am Taff Emrys Gelligen... the royal manservant at the queen's personal service" admitted Taff calmly

"Does this make us friend, foe or indifferent?" Quizzed Taff taking in the clothes, the surroundings and voices.

He too stared at the flames from time to time, clutching the skins to conceal himself from the cold icy gushes of wind and gazes from those around him as well
"Indifferent," the girl in brown answered as the orange fox padded over to sit next to Snowy. "And for the time being, it can remain that way, unless circumstances change." The words were spoken quite matter-of-factly. "We have no beef against you or the Northern Kingdom in general, but in exchange for sparing your life, you'll answer a few questions for us. Nothing particularly damning, I hope, just some information." She crossed her arms lightly.

The unnaturally bright green eyes of the man next to her seemed to watch Taff like a hawk. Taff may have seen at the edge of his vision that Snowy had shifted back into her white vulpine form and sat down next to the other fox. The Toymaker merely rested his hands on his knees, watching from where he sat at the entrance of the tunnel's end cavern.

"First," the girl mused. "We're under the assumption that you escaped from the Imperial camp that wasn't too far away from where we found you. What did they want with you and why were you bound?"

As he listened to the young stranger, Duran watched him settle somewhat. Not, that the stranger relaxed really - just a shift in the way he stood that seemed more grounded to Duran's eyes. Ready and eager for the impending challenge.

Ooh boy, this one was a warrior in the truest sense of the word.

Duran grinned and his eyes gleamed in anticipation but, for once, it seemed he had nothing to say.

Shortly after, Callahan said his piece and it wasn't long before a line was formed. Duran turned to see if he couldn't hop in near to the young warrior, but found that already there were 2 or 3 people between them. "Dang," Duran mumbled and resigned himself to scanning up and down the line, fumbling with his cape and the mask tucked underneath.

It felt like forever before he reached Callahan and plucked one of the remaining cards from the box. For once, he didn't even try to cheat and sneak a peek. In fact, he didn't look at the card until after he'd retrieved his spear. He couldn't stand being unarmed any longer.

Surprisingly, they met him halfway and handed it over without a fuss. Concerned looks didn't count.

"And now! A quick twirl of the wrist and I reveal," he mimicked a showman's intonation, punctuating the first phrase with a one-handed flourish of his weapon. "--Oh! Oh."

A tiny knight. Not a bad card, per se... None of them were.
Still...

"I was kinda hopin' for th' angel. Woulda been a nice bit of luck for the trial..." He shook his head, tucking the card beneath one of the slats of his battered armor. "Dang."

Reassured now that the impending trials gave him his usual combat-butterflies, Sakui looked up with a little more confidence as Callahan continued to issue instructions. he had mixed emotions about working in teams, as he knew their benefits but also the great responsibilities that came with them. Pick a card, group up. It was such a simple gambit, but one that could change the course of the entire trial and how it would end.

Everyone including the young former knight huddled eventually into a line, and vaguely he noted himself getting somewhat separated from Duran in the process. Of course, there was little need to worry. He may not even be paired up with him. Just another face amongst the many. He did look around to see what other sorts of people were here, and there were many across the spectrum. He just hoped that whomever he would be grouped with would have enough combat experience to not hinder him.

...not that the really cared too much about passing the trials, he had to admit to himself. He was doing this to sate his conscience. If he failed, then he failed. That was all there was to it...

He looked up, realizing that he was at the front of the line. He glanced around at all the cards before choosing one at random, and as he stepped aside to allow other people their turn, he glanced at his card. A small armored figure of a knight greeted him, and it almost placed a bitter smirk on his face. Was Fate giving him a sign, or was it just screwing with him with the reminders of his old occupation and its unfortunate end? The Eastern Kingdom as he had known it had fallen. His own passion for the place was only dying embers now.

Sakui took a breath and closed his eyes briefly before opening them again. He needed to stop thinking and find his team, so that he could just get this over with. He began looking around, unsure with whom to begin. Spotting Duran just finish and glance at his card, he walked over absently, figuring that asking him would be just as good of a start as asking any other. "What card did you get?"
Mark, a renouned ranger, made his way to the training grounds to find Callahan, saluting the palladin

aragorn3-246x300.jpg

"I'm lord ranger Mark, I have come to answer the call for help from her majesty. The guild of rangers will offer our services and assistance in your hour of need, kingdom of the North, for the kingdoms that strike together, thrive together and strengthen together" saluted Mark bowing the head courteously.

He motioned his companion forward and she bowed before Callahan

1445-2-1280906515.jpg

"I'm Dana, ranger, night watch, my strengths are stealth, tracking, lock picking and escapism as well as archery" reported Dana "This morning our ranger outpost received calls for help, the Imperials have taken a village not too far from here, they are closing in, if we have to act we must do so quickly. We know Evelina is not dead but we are not yet certain of her whereabouts for she is moved from location to location. All we find are traces of the Imperials having passed by and the path of death and frozen destruction they leave behind" explained Dana saluting the new leader.

Taff cleared this throat at her questioning.

"As I explained I am a manservant at the queen's personal service. I left the palace in search for news of a warrior's whereabouts by the name of Eveline. I entered the tavern of the village seeking her out. Then the Imperials arrived, rather quickly and suddenly, the village was unprepared and undefended. They killed everyone and they froze everything.

Obviously my royal attire betrays my position of trust regarding the queen, they probably wanted to keep me for ransom? perhaps to question me later? I know not their motives as of yet, we had little talk, in fact not much at all other than they demanded I surrender.

I was taken to this frozen tavern and I was watched by the creatures until there was a fire and with the distraction I sort of managed to escape. I was bitten by a snake and passed out. Let us hope they don't seek me out for I would regret harm coming upon you on my account" explained Taff calmly
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

West was the way that the wayfarer fared, weary and worn and whitened by whipping wind. To go west he had to have come from the east, but not the remnants of the East Kingdom--perhaps he had drifted through them at one point, as transient as dandelion fluff, but his true homeland was beyond many horizons. His pale cloak lashed and snapped despite his attempts to hold it shut, and a mound of snow was forming in the crevice between his back and his huge shield--at which the wind also snatched, several times hard enough to tip the warrior clean over. Thankfully no one had been around to watch.

Monsters, heroes--he'd seen both before. He'd been both before. The first time he heard the call for aid he had been in a two-horse village deep in a dell, and he had ignored it. The next village was larger, the call more insistent. The third time he heard when he was catching rats for coppers, wondering how his life had come to bring him here, if his quest would ever end, what the point of it all was. It was then that he had adjusted his path north instead of west, taking him on the road up to the frozen capital Skeio.

Men, women, and other sundry individuals waded through Paladin Callahan's crowd, calling "where are the Angels" or "a Crown, I need Crowns," forming a din that doubled back on itself as it bounced around the courtyard walls. It was quite a scrum, and many wound up with their boots scuffed or the hems of their cloaks trod upon. An opportunistic pickpocket might have made a fortune there.

The stranger was fairly unassuming in this fracas, which was full of worldly warriors of all flavors and specialties. He appeared human, not short but not tall, wearing blackish half-plate under his dust-colored mantle. His hood was still up. Perhaps the only thing immediately noticeable about him was the two-stride tower shield he carried upon his back, covered in burlap to conceal whatever might be emblazoned upon the surface.

That capricious wind snatched the card from his hand and blew it halfway across the courtyard. Muttering swears, he followed. Perhaps Fate did wish to intervene, for the card blew right into Sakui's face, then fell to the ground at his feet with its symbol pointing up: a knight, just like his.

The stranger popped into sight after squeezing between two rangers. "A l-little man?" he asked. Goddess, he hadn't uttered a word in months, and his throat felt like sandpaper. "A little ..." He tapped his breastplate. "... armored man, um, a knight?"

Callahan Kearney (played by koobler) Topic Starter

Maybe about halfway through the box of cards, he was met with a man coming straight up to him. He honestly felt a bit embarrassed when the man bowed to him, but he kept his composure and listened to what he had to say. When they were both introduced, Callahan anxiously cleared his throat and returned their salutes with a slight bow of his head. This new information was troublesome to say the least.

“Well met, Sir Mark, Miss Dana.” His gaze shifted to Mark. “If you are here to answer the call, then you are just in time for the trials, sir. We were, erm, drawing cards. If you may, pick one, and whoever else here has the same symbol as you, then you are teamed up with them.” Callahan quickly explained. “And if the Imperials are closer than we anticipated, we’re going to have to get this over and done with.”

Looking to Dana, he asked, “What is the name of the town that was taken? I could have one of my associates take a look there.” His mind wandered to his friend Twig first, though he knew that the forest dweller would be tending to his own matters—although it still wouldn't hurt to send a message via the hawk. And there still had been no word as to Heidrich’s whereabouts as he hadn't heard from her in a good day or so. He sincerely hoped that his hometown had not been raided yet. Even if it wasn't, the fact that the enemy has been closing in at such a rate was frightening on its own.

Now he truly wished that he could be out there to mow these undead down himself. But he knew that would only get him killed.
Mark placed his grips on Callahan's shoulders

"Palladin... this is no time for games of cards, for pairings nor trials. Go and see the queen Ronna to seek her blessings and depart at once, paired up or not. Gather whoever you managed to recruit, good and bad alike and get moving. We must march right away. Those who are not great will be trained along the way, those who are skilled will lend a hand in consolidating skills and ensuring safety and survival in so far as possible" advised Mark

"Cayminster has fallen already, every day we delay more are perishing... and when it comes to it, it is the unskilled ones that provide perfect distractions and act as decoys whilst the skilled ones strike foes with deadly skills. We all have a use and purpose in the battlefield." explained lord Mark watching Dana take two cards and give one to Mark should the palladin choose to continue in this path of tests and trials.
As Taff spoke, the amethyst eyes of the girl in the brown cloak studied him intently, searching for signs of anything that would entail deceit. Or, perhaps there was another reason for the dark shadow and the half-scowl that could evidently be seen in her hard gaze, despite the black cloth shielding much of her face from view. She was utterly still through the time that he spoke, and her gaze found the cavern floor when he finished, a note of disappointment touching them.

The man in the mottled cloak aside her placed a hand upon her shoulder, and they made brief eye contact, a sort of unspoken communication passing between them. Snowy, the orange fox, and the Toymaker all looked up simultaneously at her. The girl shifted slightly and closed her eyes, releasing a huff before she again directed words at Taff.

"The group of Imperials who captured you, do you know what direction they were heading?"
Taff rubbed his eyes tiredly trying to remember to no avail.

"I am trying to remember but it was so cold, my mind was growing numb as well as my limbs... I'll have to... look into the past..." admitted Taff resting his hand upon the blankets. He closed his eyes briefly murmuring in his celtic druidic language to summon an orb, moving the blanket aside whilst the conjuration followed it course.

merlin-orb-save.png

As he murmured repeatedly unintelligible words, barely whispered, he cast it into the air, watching it float suspended mid air it for all of them to gaze into the orb, no less than he did, to examine the past events as they were replayed inside the crystal glowing orb.

Guidinglight.jpg

At the western town of Cayminster, the Imperials had just taken over, a warrior in faded golden armour plunged his sword into the ground and winter quickly spread and scattered taking over the fallen village. His helmet was in the shape of a crown. A tattered, dark gray cloak with a faded symbol—a coat of arms; a Gules, with a depiction of a silver crown on top, and the nordic runes for ‘ice’ and ‘hail’ going along the bottom of the symbol.

“....Shall we move on, my liege?” The voice was strange and it resounded within their own armor

“We shall go.” This one’s voice was deep, authoritative, a bout of rumbling thunder. He took a few steps before stopping.

“Take your men and go towards the west. Mallicourt is our next. We shall keep the hostage here, have watchmen stay and patrol the area. In the meanwhile, I will go…. Converse with a new ally.”

Jökul, cocked his head with confusion “....Ally? You have made an alliance with whom?”

“There is something I am known for, Jökul. I am a fair king. In my kingdom, all creatures will live under me, protected from the clutches of the wicked. All of them, driven to the brink by humans, a new life.” He turned. “I am offering someone a chance to fight with me…. Yes. He is very, very promising….” trailed off the leader as they walked away

Taff was taken to this barely spared building and tied up by the wrists, guarded outside. He was taken in and stripped from his royal manservant attire, clearly kept there to be questioned later..

"You will not get away with this... her majesty will come with the army and will crush you with the heat of fire" spat Taff as his arms were forcefully raised and he was hanged by the tied up wrists

"So... did you kill Evelina or not then?" asked Taff straight to the point yet the question went unanswered

"Surely you understand my language at least, right? Come on... you are definitely not deaf..." pressed Taff further

"I mean... there's no way she would ever join your ranks, you are far too shrewd and too cold hearted for someone so warm hearted as Evelina. So what became of her? did you sell her to someone else as a slave? are you awaiting for a payment, a ransom to free her? did you slain her for refusing to join you? or are you still holding her captive hoping to break her some day?" quizzed Taff

Seeing the ongoing silence Taff cast the required spells

"llosgi" and fire ensued wrecking havok and causing the imperials to scramble to put it out

"ffurfio neidr" and the ropes turned to a vicious snake that wasted no time to bite its master, this misshap causing Taff to blush embarrassed, seeing himself rush for dear life and struggle to the tree whilst the poison set in forcing him to ask for help "Helpwch fi" before passing out, watching as the helpers arrived and took him to the cavern.

He ducked his head embarrassed at the snake misshap waving the orb into nothingness and stared at the ground before gazing at the flames.

"They are heading to Mallicourt" concluded Taff with a satisfactory smile.

"I feel so much better now... I am strong enough to retrace my steps and find out about Evelina" mused Taff standing up and dusting himself the bandage falling loose to show not even a bite of the snake upon his skin.

He folded the bandage neatly and returned it, as if though it were untouched and never used, back to the girl that had tended to his injury.

"I thank you for your courtesies" assured Taff with a small warm smile "but duty calls..." apologized Taff

Not a moment had passed since Sakui had asked Duran the question when the card slapped him upon the cheek, before fluttering down and falling flat upon the ground. Belated by a mere instant as the card slipped deftly past his arm, he instinctively brought his hand upon his cheek, feeling no injury or scar, before he glanced downward to acknowledge the nuisance. The mixed shadow of wariness shifted to surprise, and his eyebrows lifted as his gaze fell upon the faceup card of the knight at his feet.

His emerald eyes were inevitably drawn to the figure of Sir Crow lumbering towards him. Sakui was a fairly young man in his mid-twenties, though despite his youth he had more experience than people would often infer. Wisps of raven hair could be seen peeking from the fold of his hood. Currently, he was clothed in an unassuming grey cloak and cowl, keeping only the most necessary pieces of armor in his eyes: breastplate, girdle, kneeguards and the lower-thigh-plate above them, and forearm guards. Once, he had worn chainmail, but not this day. His simple clothing in neutral colors would certainly not make him stand out amongst the crowd. The only thing that would differentiate him would be the red-lined longsword at his waist that would denote his association with the Eastern kingdom.

He bent down to retrieve the card from its place at his feet before he rose to meet Sir Crow. "This yours?" he asked, holding out the card to its owner. "I have a knight as well. Seems we'll be grouped up for these tests..."

The combat-butterflies didn't settle; they never really would until the knowledge that the event was over and past. But in studying the broad-shouldered warrior before him, something gave him an idea of a torn yet kindred spirit. The half-healed scars certainly attested to the man's experience, and Sakui was somewhat assured that he would not be the only one bearing the brunt of the battle. Of course, he had yet to meet his other teammates.

"There's supposed to be four of us, at least..." he mused absently, glancing around for a moment at the rest of the crowd also bumbling about for their other teammates. There was a detached, wistful element within that gaze; he couldn't help being reminded of what was before. It was almost as if despite being within and amongst the crowd, there was some sort of wall that separated him from it.

He turned back to Sir Crow, engrained protocol and formality making his lightly proffered hand instinctive. "Sakui. No surname," he nodded, a note of discomfort touching his hues as he offered a trace fo a rueful grin. The inevitably strange introduction was always awkward in his eyes no matter how many times he had spoken it.

((Hey, I went ahead and wrote what Duran would try to do on realizing they'd both be his teammates, but in doing so assumed that the Hanged Man might return Sakui's handshake. If I'm overstepping here, let me know and I'll edit it out.))

After a beat of silence, Duran brayed - big, ugly laugh but not because it held ill-will. No. It was ugly because it was loud and literally sounded like an animal. Though what kind was debateable, considering the laugh shifted from bray to bark to howl to cackle, oftentimes in the middle of a note. And his attempts to chatter only made it worse: by the time anything coherent was made, the words didn't line up right. In between every fourth "oh wow" or "that's great" was something about "knightly sorts" scruffier than all manner of the downtrodden, mountainmen, and criminal elements.

True, the actual happening wasn't that funny. Not on its own, anyway. But the timing of it: pure gold. Impending death by endless winter (if not ripped to pieces by the Imperials personally), one last desperate ploy to get fighters who could face those monsters, and one of the more serious people he'd yet met slapped in the face by 'a little man.' Sakui's look of shock and the newcomer's fumbled words juxtaposed with the conversation and introduction that followed. Something so small versus a serious attempt to continue with something big.

Before the moment passed, Duran was bent almost double and leaned heavily against his spear. Which looked pretty uncomfortable, considering its relatively short haft. And it certainly looked dangerous, with his face hovering so close to its lengthy blade. To any who knew its kin, they would see it was too broad to be a naginata, but not broad enough to be a guan dao.

The odd-looking spearman gave one more quiet wheeze before steadying himself and standing upright. He wiped a tear from his eye, beaming between Sakui and the new-comer. Any awkwardness being completely ignored. "Guess that means we'll all be together for a bit! I'm Duran, nice t'meet ya, an' I hope our fourth has range so it'll make things easier on us."

In a practiced motion, Duran shifted his weight to one foot, caught his spear with the other to keep it upright, and with one arm crossed over the other shook hands with Sakui and the newcomer. Just one good solid shake, whether wanted or not, and then released just as quick.

Then, like a large, playful dog Duran bounced back away from them. When he bumbled into some more people, he danced back into the duo's reach. His toothy grin had turned sheepish.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » A Warrior's Redemption (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus