Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Age verification badges

Asroc

Arkavious wrote:
Winter Samurai wrote:

People can of course lie but that is where a warning about terms and conditions would come in. Such as having your profile delete. Ip blocked or some sort of action to be taken given that they are lying and can potentially harm someones life by lying.

the issue with this is you can change your IP address so that completely invalidates that idea. I know you mean well, but there are ways around IP blocks.

VPNs for starters can by pass IP blocks and boundaries.
Asroc wrote:
Arkavious wrote:
Winter Samurai wrote:

People can of course lie but that is where a warning about terms and conditions would come in. Such as having your profile delete. Ip blocked or some sort of action to be taken given that they are lying and can potentially harm someones life by lying.

the issue with this is you can change your IP address so that completely invalidates that idea. I know you mean well, but there are ways around IP blocks.

VPNs for starters can by pass IP blocks and boundaries.

Not to mention, if your IP constantly changes randomly, like mine does.
Goliath (played anonymously)

Arkavious wrote:
Winter Samurai wrote:

This was just one idea and though it is true that there are work around methods for it i'm not sure the majority of the minors who roleplay will know how to do that. An adult lying about their age to sex with younger person faces potential jail time so their ip would not need to be blocked. So in a lot of instances it would still work. However, it was just a suggestion of a punishment as something on your profile just showing an age range may be more, comfortable for people than having their exact age or having to show their id.
Sanne Moderator

Just an FYI, to my knowledge the ban system we already have in place works with a number of different features and information solid enough to keep people out but also catch those who manage to get around the ban initially.

To add to that, people who are currently caught lying about their age (especially minors) are banned until they're 18 years old (and possibly need to prove they're of age? I'm not sure). There's no need to suggest a feature or consequence like this at this time, as we already have it in place and it's actively applied to people who break the rules and put other people at risk.
Asroc

Sanne wrote:
Just an FYI, to my knowledge the ban system we already have in place works with a number of different features and information solid enough to keep people out but also catch those who manage to get around the ban initially.

With people who get banned, there are trouble makers who ban evade that try to act like nothing happened or have "family members" Or 'friends' that try to 'defend' their cases. I seen it with people who block another person on various places where they get another account to heckle the person. I seen it happened and I experienced many times where a person pretended to be their father and their best friend to get me to unblock them.

Winter Samurai wrote:
This was just one idea and though it is true that there are work around methods for it i'm not sure the majority of the minors who roleplay will know how to do that. An adult lying about their age to sex with younger person faces potential jail time so their ip would not need to be blocked. So in a lot of instances it would still work. However, it was just a suggestion of a punishment as something on your profile just showing an age range may be more, comfortable for people than having their exact age or having to show their id.

Using a VPN is pretty simple. Same with using this fake IP sites. Unless the said person was rather oblivious on how things worked. IP banning never works. They can either be bypassed and if an IP banning happened, people with shared computers who also have an account such as a family member would suffer the same fate as well.

I seen this as well. The thing with adults I have seen a lot. Mainly places like Facebook, Tumblr, dA, AniRP, etc where they feel that they can get way with things because of their age. Most I seen use excuses such as "It's only RP, you can RP anything" and "age doesn't matter". I had my share of shady adults trying to get me to RP fetish stuff or R18. I just say 'no' and block. I had some creepy person ask me if they wanted to do a certain RP on Discord and I denied them. With minors wanting R18 stuff feel like they are already "mature" which they, like the adult can get in trouble as well.

Even if either party owns their own small forum. It and them can get in trouble.

R 18 and fetish Rps can seriously effect a child if they engage it. The adult can get in trouble. Both parties can be at risk.

I am honestly rather careful who I RP with, since I prefer RPs with a story and word building.
Sanne Moderator

Asroc wrote:
Sanne wrote:

With people who get banned, there are trouble makers who ban evade that try to act like nothing happened or have "family members" Or 'friends' that try to 'defend' their cases. I seen it with people who block another person on various places where they get another account to heckle the person. I seen it happened and I experienced many times where a person pretended to be their father and their best friend to get me to unblock them.

I understand, but Kim has a system put in place that targets these troublemakers and once someone is banned, it's a lot more difficult to get back in and stay in than just using a VPN. I don't know the specifics in enough detail to lay it out here, but Kim's not new to this phenomenon and takes precautions way beyond what many site admins take (aka doing simple IP banning).

I don't understand why this keeps being contested.
MasterWinter

Sanne wrote:
I don't understand why this keeps being contested.

As you yourself said before: You are biased because you've been on the site longer, and you know Kim. The rest of us don't. And besides: This is more than likely the first time, that I am aware of, where a site wants to see personal information to verify stuff.

So yes. You are going to see people still worried about this, no matter how many times you assure them.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Quote:
This is more than likely the first time, that I am aware of, where a site wants to see personal information to verify stuff.

Maybe a gaming site, but in my professional life I've built sites for clients that handled social security numbers, medical records, etc. It's totally valid to be concerned about your personal details, no matter who will be handling them, though!

Regardless, like I said earlier, this has been a very helpful discussion and given me lots to think about. This feature is still not definitely planned, it remains under consideration. I'm closing this topic now as we seem to be chasing our tails. :)

As for bans, that's sort of another topic entirely, not related to the age verification discussion.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Age verification badges

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus