Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Just a few suggestions... =^-^=

EdtheNeko Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
The new alignment button seems to be working great! :D

Good to see the alignment thing being put in.
left
right
center
justify

it seems to work :3

Btw justify and left look similar...ehh whats the difference again?

Also thanks for adding and updating the faq thing

Kim wrote:
Updated collapse tag color for the arabesque template to be 50% lighter. Not sure why it was so dark!

Thanks :3 I'm glad you noticed it as well, its actually a little bit readable now.

Just one thing i never got, that template is red and golden, so the link text is dark green? Kinda odd dont you think?
Kim Site Admin

I want to clear the air real quick before we continue, since I think we both want to be friends and I like to be honest with friends: it is only me maintaining this enormous site in my spare time for no pay. I'm really glad you responded with a thank you post, because the tone of your previous posts had begun to really hurt my feelings. I understand that you are frustrated, but a lot of what you wrote reads like demands instead of a request or a suggestion. I want to point out that for a free site made by one person, the site provides an enormous amount of free stuff and hand holding. Not all the free stuff is going to be to everyone's tastes. In fact, some of the most popular templates of all time are the ones I dislike the most! But I made them to suit others. Not all of them will work for everyone.

Now that that is out of the way, let me respond to your specific questions:

Your idea to offer multiple colors per template is a huge programming task, and not going to be possible any year soon. I just don't have the resources. Sorry. :(

Like I said before, we use the same text editor throughout the site, if I add it in one place it will show up elsewhere. I'm sorry that annoys you, but again, creating and maintaining two different programs is way too much for me to take on with all the other things that need to get done here. I understand it causes you some minor inconvenience, but there's a long list of other priorities that need addressing. More than that, having only one program allows computers to cache that bit of code, and lets the site load faster for everyone.

And nope, I don't think it's odd at all! Text that is interactive (links, collapse titles, spoilers) needs to be immediately recognizeable as different from normal text. If I made it red it would blend into the background, and if I made it gold it would vanish into the normal text and never get clicked. Green, red and gold are quite traditional color combos for the art style that template was based on. All the original colors were sampled out of an image of a wall mosaic that I found from the region.

Justified alignment will only show up if you have a large block of text. One word won't reveal anything interesting. https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+justified+text
EdtheNeko Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
I want to clear the air real quick before we continue, since I think we both want to be friends and I like to be honest with friends: it is only me maintaining this enormous site in my spare time for no pay. I'm really glad you responded with a thank you post, because the tone of your previous posts had begun to really hurt my feelings. I understand that you are frustrated, but a lot of what you wrote reads like demands instead of a request or a suggestion.

Honestly it was all a suggestion, the only time my posts had changed its tune is when Sanne replied [no offense Sanne I've been told you're great :p] ..it seemed to be, ehh I'm not sure of the word that works here but a "in your face style" of post. :) However I had no problems with them or you, I was merely just making a suggestion, my reasoning why and backing up my suggestion/ideas.

Kim wrote:

Like I said before, we use the same text editor throughout the site, if I add it in one place it will show up elsewhere. I'm sorry that annoys you, but again, creating and maintaining two different programs is way too much for me to take on with all the other things that need to get done here. I understand it causes you some minor inconvenience, but there's a long list of other priorities that need addressing. More than that, having only one program allows computers to cache that bit of code, and lets the site load faster for everyone.

And nope, I don't think it's odd at all! Text that is interactive (links, collapse titles, spoilers) needs to be immediately recognizeable as different from normal text. If I made it red it would blend into the background, and if I made it gold it would vanish into the normal text and never get clicked. Green, red and gold are quite traditional color combos for the art style that template was based on. All the original colors were sampled out of an image of a wall mosaic that I found from the region.
I merely aske on the color as I thought it was a dark brown till it was lighten up to be a green. I acxutally thought a offshade of yellow or brown might work insted of green but for all I knew it was picked out from some careful system or was random. So no offense intended. At least it's readable now so thanks again^^
Kim wrote:
Justified alignment will only show up if you have a large block of text. One word won't reveal anything interesting. https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+justified+text
I guessed as much but just wanted to check thanks

Edit: to clear the numbering bit up I only did that as I hate splitting up a big posts into quoted parts as Its easy to miss one so they where numbered. Didnt mean to make it seem like a demand sorry again if it seemed like that ^^
EdtheNeko Topic Starter

Oh one last thing that came to mind, (since i made this thread might as well ask here)

I know you are able to put youtube videos on the profiles but has anything been done with music yet?

I also heard youtube videos used to auto play when a page was open, but now they dont, is there a way that could be put in or was it removed for some reason? just curious
Kim Site Admin

Thanks Ed, I appreciate the social clarification. I'll continue talking to you about it in PM. :) In future, if a moderator seems "in your face", please just tell them you feel uncomfortable so they can adjust rather than pushing back -- being nasty to mods, even if you think you are responding in kind, is never a good thing.

Because questions about music are asked so often, there's actually an article in the FAQ about it: http://www.rprepository.com/help/faq#11
Kim, the buttons for the alignement are great - I didn't know you can justify the text <3
Totally tried that, and it looks awesome :3
EdtheNeko Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Because questions about music are asked so often, there's actually an article in the FAQ about it: http://www.rprepository.com/help/faq#11
Okay so I guess youtube videos used to auto play and now they do not for the reason left there? ...makes sense. I just had one question left on the subject, how small can a youtube video be and still be click-able to play? (dont wish to break anything after all)
Sanne Moderator

Ed the Neko wrote:
Kim wrote:
Okay so I guess youtube videos used to auto play and now they do not for the reason left there? ...makes sense. I just had one question left on the subject, how small can a youtube video be and still be click-able to play? (dont wish to break anything after all)

Autoplay for youtube videos is only possible if you use the HTML code. Since we can only do BBCode and not HTML, autoplay just isn't possible unfortunately. (I also don't think it's ever been possible on RPR?) It's still an option on other websites that allow HTML though. :) Here's a page that explains how to if you're interested.

As for the size, you'll have to try some numbers. Some videos I noticed play when they're smaller, others require a bigger video. You can't break anything by adjusting the height= and width= numbers in the Youtube tag, so feel free to experiment!
Kim Site Admin

Thanks Sanne, I actually had no idea how big or small you could make youtube videos, I don't use them for anything. >.> Good to know that it's variable, that's kind of been my experience as well but I wasn't sure.

It actually was possible to autoplay youtube videos here at one point due to a bug, but that loophole was quickly closed.
EdtheNeko Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:

Autoplay for youtube videos is only possible if you use the HTML code. Since we can only do BBCode and not HTML, autoplay just isn't possible unfortunately. (I also don't think it's ever been possible on RPR?) It's still an option on other websites that allow HTML though. :) Here's a page that explains how to if you're interested.

As for the size, you'll have to try some numbers. Some videos I noticed play when they're smaller, others require a bigger video. You can't break anything by adjusting the height= and width= numbers in the Youtube tag, so feel free to experiment!

Well I spoke to someone who said a long while ago they used to auto play but it was removed, im not sure if there was any truth to it or if they where mistake so I just thought i ask.
Kim wrote:
It actually was possible to autoplay youtube videos here at one point due to a bug, but that loophole was quickly closed.
Interesting, sad to hear it was just a bug though
Kim wrote:
Thanks Sanne, I actually had no idea how big or small you could make youtube videos, I don't use them for anything. >.> Good to know that it's variable, that's kind of been my experience as well but I wasn't sure.

There was a time, when I figured the perfect size, so just the playbuttons would be visible.
A few months ago, suddenly it looked awkward without changing the size. I think youtube changed something, I don't know. But my solution after that was, to link them with normal TEXT.
Sanne Moderator

Jane wrote:
There was a time, when I figured the perfect size, so just the playbuttons would be visible.
A few months ago, suddenly it looked awkward without changing the size. I think youtube changed something, I don't know. But my solution after that was, to link them with normal TEXT.

YouTube did change something about embedded videos so they don't work properly when they're a certain size. It's very annoying but I can guess a couple of reasons why they would do that. Linking to a video is always a good alternative though!
Kim Site Admin

Definitely another reason I feel weird giving answers about video sizing, since what works is up to Youtube, not me, and they seem to change it every few months. :)
EdtheNeko Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
-

Btw I noticed the lighter green shade looks nice :3

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Just a few suggestions... =^-^=

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus