Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Changing account name.

Dog

Hello RPR-ians! I know this is not possible at the moment, but I was wondering if it will ever be possible to change one's default display name?

(The one that greets you when you come in, and what is shown when you post as "You").
Would be nice to see eventually, but as it's something hard to code, perhaps a payed option?
Pay 2$ the first change 5$ the next, 10$ the next... ect ect.
Dog Topic Starter

Amirrora wrote:
Would be nice to see eventually, but as it's something hard to code, perhaps a payed option?

Yeah~ That definitely sounds reasonable.
Kim Site Admin

Amirrora wrote:

Definitely a planned feature! And it is enough of a hairy procedure I'd view it as definitely worth a tiny fee, not least to discourage people from doing it often.

For people who typo'd their name or plain didn't understand that the username they were picking represented them and not their characters, I've done it by hand a few times because there is no other way for them to do it right now, but it's definitely a hassle and involves sticking my hands elbow deep into a live, very actively changing database. It happens very rarely, but to me, this type of surgery is better off in the hands of a piece of code trained to make a whole lot of security and continuity checks.

The interesting bit about this post to me is I've never been totally clear how many people would be interested in doing this if it were available. Could we get a sound off from people about what priority they view something like this as being?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Kim wrote:
For people who typo'd their name or plain didn't understand that the username they were picking represented them and not their characters.

Maybe you could have it setup so it's free to change for the first 24 hours an account exists, then after that there would be a fee?
Matthias wrote:
Amirrora wrote:

Yeah~ That definitely sounds reasonable.

o/ Woo. I price things well.
Ha ha.

And I'd love such a feature, as I find I change a lot in my life, I'm happy with my username right now, but once I change a bit in real life, I may want to change it. x3.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Amirrora wrote:
And I'd love such a feature, as I find I change a lot in my life, I'm happy with my username right now, but once I change a bit in real life, I may want to change it. x3.

This. I never thought I'd stop using the name "Kain," but after a good long decade, I finally did. Maybe it'll happen again! I love the flexibility that a feature like this offers.
Sanne Moderator

I've a neutral opinion on this. It's a very useful feature, no question about it, but it has the potential to get confusing! :P
Dog Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
I've a neutral opinion on this. It's a very useful feature, no question about it, but it has the potential to get confusing! :P

Perhaps the user's page could have a voluntary option, that would list the user's former names, for visitors, to prevent confusion?
Sanne Moderator

Matthias wrote:
Sanne wrote:

Perhaps the user's page could have a voluntary option, that would list the user's former names, for visitors, to prevent confusion?

I'm more thinking of potential abuse, though that might not be a valid concern in this community right now :)

I'm thinking along FAM's forums (Furcadia Alt Market) where people can change their display/username and do so frequently. Then your username comes free to another person who signs up for it, and when they post then people might think it's you etc. It's not just the user changing their name, but in the future also people who sign up/change to a name that was prior in use that can be confusing and draw trouble.

If people have really outgrown/typo'd their name, then I see no reason not to alter it. It definitely shouldn't be free though, and I think it's reasonable to give a 7 day grace period to alter your name after signing up (I think 24 hours might not be enough for someone to start exploring and realizing their name is set like that). I do think it's important for Kim to have a 'Site Admin only' list of previous usernames so that IF trouble arises, she can check someone's account for former usernames.

Just my two cents. <3

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Changing account name.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus