Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Conventions

Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

By the by -- I'm willing to make announcements about RPRers going to conventions over our twitter and facebook streams, if you are interested in trying to meet up with other players where you are going. I've been making them pretty consistently for darth_angelus because I know that he is comfortable meeting internet people in real life, but it's not limited to just mods.
Kim wrote:
By the by -- I'm willing to make announcements about RPRers going to conventions over our twitter and facebook streams, if you are interested in trying to meet up with other players where you are going. I've been making them pretty consistently for darth_angelus because I know that he is comfortable meeting internet people in real life, but it's not limited to just mods.

You can totally announce my presence at FACTS, just tel 'em to look out for a mini-Anakin 8D

I will be most likely present with Earendill and XinonHyena too.
I used to be a big attendant at anime cons, but not because I was a huge anime fan. xD
I've been making AMVs(anime music videos) since 2000, so I go as an AMV editor. I went to Dragon*Con in 2001, as well as AWA(Anime Weekend Atlanta). I continued going to AWA every year with other editors until 2006 or so. I lived in Georgia so I would help reserving the pre-con stuff, like AMV get-togethers. In particular we usually had a "AMVer Dinner" thursday before AWA starts.

After that I helped staff at Techwood Con, which was actually the precursor to MomoCon (Momocon's staff was part of techwood, they didn't like it and so we split and they made their own con later). I stopped going to georgia cons due to finances and geographical seperation (2006ish I started college out of state, in florida). In college, I went to MetroCon and Megacon a couple of times, but they do not have big AMV focuses like AWA. I was press for Metrocon: Amano's world, and I interviewed Yoshitaka Amano. That was pretty cool. (I was going to college for video production/mass media).

I'd like to continue to go to the AWAs but I'm in japan now and it's very difficult to take leave (In the military here) so there's no way I could get that particular weekend off. If/when I ever go back to the states, I'd probably start being a regular at the AMV conventions again. Maybe more than just AWA this time. =3

I'm known as SQ on a-m-v.org.

EDIT:
Finally read through the whole thread.
I don't like to get into con politics either, because it seems like every time I do I find something I don't like.
I refuse to go to Metro and MegaCon in florida, for instance, because their director is a huge dick. I GREATLY dislike going to MomoCon in Georgia because of my personal history with them (as being part of the central crew for techwood and witnessing the stupid reasons they wanted their own con firsthand) and the way it is run behind the scenes now (despite the person I had the personal beef with being gone now) is not right at all. There's a reason that con is free, and that reason is not right at all.

I don't got o Dragon*Con anymore because it is simply way too big and had way too many people. I had my personal bubble broken multiple times in ways I do not want to happen again at D*C so I never went. I'm told they've fixed the issues since then(It has been like 12 years now since I experienced it) but now the con's way too expensive to bother since I can get everything I want done at AWA anyway.

AWA, It's getting so big now that I'm slightly uncomfortable but my ties there have more pros than cons so unless it's gotten ridiculously bad since 2006 I will continue to try to go (as soon as I get back).

I was never a huge con person. The only reason I started going to cons at all was because I sent some of my vids to one, they won awards, so I figured that... Maybe I should go there in person! XD And I just got so involved since then. I miss meeting up with all the other editors and discussing... Editing things lol. I don't even like anime itself that much anymore, I just like talking to the editors.

And cosplay!
I like doing it but I can't make costumes for shit, so I buy them. But I never had any money to buy a cosplay costume until recently, so I've never cosplayed at a con too well. Normally I just do some "Gaia Online avatar" thing or just general japanese-style clothing. I think the last year I went, I went in a suit. So it varies, Haha.
Meri (played by Yuka)

There was a Stargate/Sci-fi con down where I used to live, but since then, nothing up here has caught my interest or been in my price bracket, regretably. I've been to a few small Anime & Manga onces in the local bookstore though.
three weeks till FACTS =D

Two before I lsoe about 50% of my hair so I can look like Anakin D=
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Now that's dedication!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Here's a photo from the Entertainment Media Show that Doctor Who fans might appreciate ;)

Link
I just went to Dragon*Con for the first time this past September and I -loved- it. It's awesome! I wish I could go every year, but it's a bit far for me to travel...airfare and hotel costs start to add up :(

I also go to a-kon every year in Dallas. That one is much smaller than D*Con, but it's growing and it's a lot of fun.

I'm going to be doing my first cosplay ever this coming a-kon, as Sailor Mars from the Sailor Moon series. Usually I go in my steampunk getup :)
Minerva

Actually guys, Loki is the friend that was gonna check out Angelus' room but thought something else was going on there. <3 Maybe next time, eh?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Loki, so it was you I was looking out for. Next time! :)
Ah...yes! I went to the room that was given to me, but...people were watching cartoons in it or something. Better luck next time :D
Darth_Angelus Moderator

You did actually come to the right place :)

One of the videos they showed in there was this short I made to promote RPR.

LOL! That was awesome! I don't recall seeing anything like that though, but I could have dropped in when they were showing something else.

Talking about it makes me miss D*Con, seriously it's the coolest con I've ever been to. So hard to pick which panels I want to go to too! I didn't even see half of the ones that I wanted, it's just that big!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Not surprised you missed it, they had two and a half hours of content per screening session :)

It is impossible to see everything at Dragon*Con. When you go again, you'll be prepared for just how massive it is and know what to plan for. This was my third year and I find each time I learn more about how to appreciate the con and how it works :)
Just got back from FACTS '11

Completely drained, took around 150 pics too, will most likely upload them tomorrow.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I shall look forward to seeing those pictures :)

Had a good time?

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Conventions

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus