Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Conventions

Ell

I approve wholeheartedly of that convention experience! :P What's Karen Gillian like? She seems like she'd be pretty chill and easygoing. Stephen and Peter look like they could be in a comedy program together. I would watch it. I feel as though it would involve lawn gnomes. >_>
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Karen was really friendly. When that photo was taken, the conversation went something like this:

Karen: Cool costume!
Me: Thankyou! I'm the wrong Doctor for you though.
She laughed.
Karen: Or I'm the wrong assistant.

Then I had to move on, there were people behind. But a bit later on I met her again to get her autograph, talked to her for a bit longer :)
So, speaking of Conventions, AWA (Anime Weekend Atlanta) is coming up at the end of September. Though honestly, if you're hoping to go and stay (if anyone here is), you'll have everything done by the end of this month.

Unless anything comes up, I'm going to be staffing this year. It is a great convention, and it's got wonderful people and panels, and it's not just centric to anime. You will find anything there, but I'm going off on a tangent. Being it is one of the biggest conventions in the country of the US of A, I was wondering if anyone's going to be there?

Thinking of going in a cheaply made minecraft creeper costume. More gimmicky then thorough.

EDIT: I also wanted to go to Dragoncon, but I don't have the money for both what with no real big income for me.. ><
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Shame you can't go to Dragon*Con too, I'll be there with some RPR bookmarks to give out :)

Knowing there's only a few weeks between D*C and AWA explains to me why I haven't seen much in the way of Anime at Dragon*Con both times I've been. I wondered why that was and now it makes sense :)
Sad thing about DragonCon is it may not last but a few more years if things go wrong... >_< And I've always wanted to go. I met some people earlier this year who used to do Dragoncon at another con, and a small group are actually pulling away because they're having 'issues with the director'.

EDIT: I forget which company.... I think Wizard's of the Coast (I'm probably wrong) refuses to return to Dragoncon because of said issues. I don't want it to die :(
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Given how absolutely massive Dragon*Con is (and this year they are celebrating 25 years), I'd be very surprised if it ended.

Granted, I don't get involved in the behind the scenes politics of any convention, but it just seems to be very successful and popular.
darth_angelus wrote:
Given how absolutely massive Dragon*Con is (and this year they are celebrating 25 years), I'd be very surprised if it ended.

Granted, I don't get involved in the behind the scenes politics of any convention, but it just seems to be very successful and popular.

It is, but a fanbase can't keep something alive without the backbone. Though I'm honestly sure someone will replace the people who leave, it's still a change. You cosplaying for dragoncon?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Yep. Last year I bought a Starfleet uniform and a tribble while there. The latter attracted quite a large crowd once I figured out how to have it sitting on my shoulder, making noises :)

I'm also making excellent progress on some N7 armour that I plan to take with me :)

How about you?
darth_angelus wrote:
Yep. Last year I bought a Starfleet uniform and a tribble while there. The latter attracted quite a large crowd once I figured out how to have it sitting on my shoulder, making noises :)

I'm also making excellent progress on some N7 armour that I plan to take with me :)

How about you?

I don't do anything fancy, because I don't have the skills to make them XD Or money to buy. I am working on just a minecraft creeper thing for AWA as said above, and I had some piratey renaissance clothes at my other con, which was mostly a anachronistic convention. Might reuse those.

EDIT: In addition to not having the funds, seems all hotels for Dragoncon are sold out.
Dog

I'd love to make it to San Diego's ComicCon.
Which is clear across the united states.

Perhaps someday.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

The Marriott still has rooms, although it says they have sold out on the Dragon*Con website. I was able to get one last week.
This is offtopic, but some reason it came to mind, and I thought to give you the best con story. So there is one conventions where they specifically have 'nuclear weapons' banned. Mind you I wasn't there for this particular situation, but I've memorized the story because it's glorious.

--Well, it all starts with one guy making his costume. It was some type sci-fi costume. Well he turned a thermus with paper mache into something into a prop, and it had a 'radioactive' symbol on it. Well, this guy didn't have a room or something, and he wsa out sleeping in his car with his costume. A bunch of people who knew little about cons wandered by and see this radioactive symbol on something in the car. They go off and call the police. Little bit of time passes and there are people in hazmat suits out in the parking lot with radiation readers. Well, this attracts the attention of congoers. Now anyone who knows science knows concrete contains minute traces of radiation... so guess what. Their readers are going off. Alll the while, people in the back from the con are screaming 'IT'S JUST A COSTUUUUME!' The guy eventually wakes up to people in Hazmat suits and it's all sorted out, but now they've expressly outlined they want 'no nuclear weapons' at their con.
In August I'm going to the anime expo! I'm really psyched. xD
I will be attending FCN, AC, MFF and IFC yearly. Along with GenCon for Battletech competitions.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

So I'm heading to Dragon*Con this thursday, coming back sunday evening.

Anyone else planning to attend?
Sky

Kumoricon. Went. Was great. I was a pokemon.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Glad you had a good time! :)

Dragon*Con was fun.

Next up for me is the Eurogamer Expo, this thursday.
Going to F.A.C.T.S. '11 in October

Dressed like Anakin motherfrecklin Skywalker

Wooooooooo \o/
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

FACTS looked like a ton of fun. If I had more of a travel budget I would really consider going.

Myself, I'll be at OryCon this November. :)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

My next convention (probably my last for the year) is going to be The Entertainment Media Show in London.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Conventions

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus