Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Nostalgia! Remember old children movies?

Oh! I spent the whole movie trying to figure out what language it was in! It sounds really pretty :)
Jane Topic Starter

I loved the voice in the beginning, I guess I saw the intro a few times just because of the language.
Jane Topic Starter

The Sword in the Stone (1963)

Loki, you might like the next one. Sadly I could not find it in english.

wiki: link
Ronja, Robber's Daughter.

High up on a rock, in the middle of a large forest, there is a stronghold. In that stronghold lives a band of robbers, who robs the innocent people who travels through the forest. Mattis is their leader. One night there is a terrible thunderstorm. A great lightning strikes the rock and makes a wide crack which divides the rock and the stronghold into two. The same, during the thunderstorm, two children are born. One is a girl - the daughter of Mattis and the other is a boy - the son of Borka. Borka now becomes the leader of the other part of the stronghold. From that day, there are two bands and they are the worst of enemies. It looks like nothing can bring them together again. But there are two things that can overcome all obstacles - love and friendship. The two children grow older, older each in their part of the strong- hold, till one day, they are old enough to go out in the forest on their own and take care of themselves, like the band's children have done in all times. And that will not be easy. There are many strange and dangerous creatures in the forest but also fantastic adventures... and friends.
I have perhaps 300 VHS's i collected during my childhood still lying around that i watch, so i am already quite fond of this topic :)

Here are a few that i don't think i saw mentioned, though forgive me if i repeat any!:

The Flight of Dragons (1982)

The Incredible Journey (1963) - This may not be from my childhood but i loved it before i loved Homeward Bound.

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993)

Watership Down (1978) - This was produced by Nepenthe Productions who also created an amazing film called 'The Plague Dogs' that i would recommend you watch. It's sad but it's a wonderful movie. The entire thing is on youtube Here

The Swan Princess (1994) - I will shamefully admit i loved all of these.

Quest for Camelot (1998)

Cats Don't Dance (1997)

The Iron Giant (1999)

The Land Before Time (1988) - Don Bluth's films can often either be good, or terrible. Either way i'm terribly fond of most of his films. This is one of them.

Dinosaur (2000) - If anyone remembers, this was groundbreaking at the time. I think it was the most expensive movie production to ever be made at the time, costing millions. But it certainly was ahead of its time, and a very good watch.

Rover Dangerfield (1991)

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002) - This movie had a wonderful story, lots of people were silly about it at the time and still are with statements such as "Am i supposed to know what the horses are saying? hurr hurr" which was a bit of a peeve of mine if the subject ever came up.

That's a small handful of the many i've enjoyed!
Too bad you couldn't find it in English Jane, it sounds really good :) I'm sure I probably would like it.

Degu, I loved Homeward Bound! I still have all the feels at the end when it looks like Shadow didn't make it back XD
Oh gosh, I have so many movies I've seen that would make me nostalgic if I saw them again. (And I'm only 14! I've seen a LOT of good movies in the short period of time I've been alive. XD)

Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, if anyone remembers it!

Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. Then there was The Music Man. (Greatest musical of all time.) I saw Fantasia 2000 when it first came out (although I can't remember seeing it then.) I have since watched it on DVD countless times.

Disney's Tarzan comes to mind. Actually, a lot of Disney movies come to mind. We got the Toy Story and Toy Story 2 combo pack when it came out on VHS. I watched those a LOT as well. Every Pixar movie, up until recently, really. Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo (LOVED that one,) and The Incredibles. Funnily enough, I still have not seen A Bug's Life in full. It is to date the only Pixar movie I have not seen. XD (I would much rather have seen that than have gone to see Cars 2. That was the only Pixar movie I saw and didn't like.)

I also watched Veggie Tales when I was littler. Dunno if you guys know about that, but it was a bunch of little shows that were released on VHS.

Hmm.. What else?

I watched Watership Down, but that one gave me nightmares. o.O That should be an R-Rated horror flick, not a childrens' film! A bunch of rabbits being led away by one delusional rabbit who sees "The Blood" that's coming to get them all. He actually just leads some of them/all of them (I don't remember, it's been a while) to their bloody, horrible ends. My favorite toy in the world back then was a stuffed rabbit that I took everywhere, so that thought mortified me.

Oh oh oh! Speaking of stuffed animals, I loved Disney's Winnie the Pooh, The Tigger Movie, and Piglet's Big Movie.

The Rescuers: Down Under was one I liked. And I think I saw the Great Mouse Detective. Not sure though. :/ My grandma had a bunch of movies for me to watch when I stayed with her. :P

My mom also bought me Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins. I watched that over and over and over again.

The Fox and the Hound depressed me even though I was probably too young to understand the plot. All I knew was that the Hound was a jerk for betraying the Fox. I saw a lot of Disney films too, come to think of it. (Who hasn't? XD) Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King 1 1/2, The Santa Clause 2, Chicken Little.

E.T. by Steven Spielberg was another one I saw a few times.

These were just written down as I remembered them. I bet these are pretty recently for you guys, but this was part of my growing up. XD

Oooh! Wait! One more! (That will probably spark a ton of other memories!) The Princess Bride. I LOVE LOVE LOVED that movie.

Okay I think I'm done! This is a cool topic. :)

Cheers and happy memories,

~Oaky

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Nostalgia! Remember old children movies?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus