Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » why does publishing have to be so expensive?

damnationfromafar wrote:

Of course. My best friend is a psychology and business major so she wouldn't let me go into anything without research and making sure I understand what's happening to begin with. I am quite aware there is paperwork that has to be filed, business license to be acquired, etc.

Great! It kind of surprised me, lol, so I didn't want anyone else to run into the same kind of surprises. :)
I have my fictitious name registered and my EIN, so now I'm just working on filling out a form for my state. It's kind of confusing so I'm trying to find a time to get into the city hall and speak with someone on filling out the form as it applies to the specific venture I want to pursue (being an online-only company makes it a bit complicated in filling the form out).
Congrats to the both of you and I'm glad you guys are on such a great track together! I would love to read your books whenever you release them.

Just want to say thanks CelestinaGrey for looking out for fellow authors. :)
Surely it doesn't take so long to put together $250? Where I come from, uni grads can expect S$3000+ for starting pay, polytechnic diploma holders S$2000+, A-level holders S$1000+ and O-level holders S$500+. If you've written the book already I see no reason why you can't get a desk job for a while and put together the funds to publish (barring a lack of qualifications of course).

Once your book takes off, surely you can go back to writing full-time? Publishing takes a long time if yoy don't want to be destitute. A local writer took 8 years to finish her first book and only started writing full-time after her first book took off. No harm in waiting really.
MercyInReach Topic Starter

Orose_Khan wrote:
Surely it doesn't take so long to put together $250? Where I come from, uni grads can expect S$3000+ for starting pay, polytechnic diploma holders S$2000+, A-level holders S$1000+ and O-level holders S$500+. If you've written the book already I see no reason why you can't get a desk job for a while and put together the funds to publish (barring a lack of qualifications of course).

Once your book takes off, surely you can go back to writing full-time? Publishing takes a long time if yoy don't want to be destitute. A local writer took 8 years to finish her first book and only started writing full-time after her first book took off. No harm in waiting really.

Due to my lack of any diploma (I dropped out of high school at a young age due to severe mental health issues) there is no desk job that will hire me. The only jobs I can do are fast food or grocery store. I have chronic illness and pain that doesn't allow me to walk or stand for long periods of time, so those are out of reach as well.

I've tried to find online writing gigs but I've come up with nothing.

If you had read my previous posts, you would see that my father is loaning me the money for half isbns with my best friend. But even with his full time job, it's still going to take him a month or two to round up $150.

I'm already 21 years old, with no income, and publishing is my only chance as a disabled person with no chance at going to college either, to make money. So no, I don't want to wait any longer than is absolutely necessary to get my career off the ground. I'm sick and tired of feeling useless, stuck, and stagnant.

But thanks for your reply I guess.
Oh.. Sorry for my thoughtlessness then. All the best in your quest to get published!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » why does publishing have to be so expensive?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus