Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Johnny Depp at it again.

So...who else has seen previews revealing the fact that Johnny Depp is once more donning his Pirate garb to set sail again as Jack Sparrow?

*gets tapped on the shoulder*
"That's...Captain Jack Sparrow..."

Ok. Yeah. Captain. Heh. And also what's this I hear about a new X-Men movie that's gonna focus on Professor Charles Xavier and Magneto?

"Hey how come you remembered his title but not mine?"

Oh hush Jacky boy...
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I am rather looking forward to the return of Captain Jack Harkness myself.
I've been waiting for those movies for over a year! lol when I read about them on IMDB, I was like.... *drool* I love those series, I just hope they don't start going downhill.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I'm excited because Legolas and Annoying-B***h won't in it. Also BARBOSSA.
I enjoy Johnny Depp and his skill in acting too much to care that they're milking the series. And while x-men looks totally wrong story and time lines wise, it will still be worth watching.
I'm totally excited for the Pirates movie, even though they're milking a dead cow. It's sure to be at least funny.

I think they're pushing X-Men too far too, but I'm really excited to see how this one turns out. It's gonna be totally wrong and teen angsty, but I really wanna see it.
I was making grabby-hands in the theater when I saw the trailer.
Wow good job playin the exact same character no matter what movie you get cast in, real winner there

What is he like 30, 40? And still playing roles aimed at 12 year old girls? WELP good thing that's not creepy at all
mross wrote:
Wow good job playin the exact same character no matter what movie you get cast in, real winner there

I understand this is sarcasm, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. o-o Johnny Depp is Captain Jack sparrow in all the Pirates movies. Why would he be some other character? Unless I'm misunderstanding...
CelestinaGrey wrote:
mross wrote:

I understand this is sarcasm, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. o-o Johnny Depp is Captain Jack sparrow in all the Pirates movies. Why would he be some other character? Unless I'm misunderstanding...

pirates, sleepy hollow, fudge factory, sweeney todd, alice in wonderland, edward scissorhands, hell even the dude he just played a voice for in corpse bride

they are all basically cut from the same boring archetype designed by a media firm to appeal to underage girls with affluent parents

i mean it's great that he's found a niche and can make a living, but i'm not about to pretend that he's some great talented actor all shifting paradigms and re-writing our conception of the human experience, cause he ain't
SeraphicStar

Oh, yes, I'd have to agree with mross there. He's great, yes, but it's a shame he can only play one character type. For me, that's not good acting, it's... well, mastering one role and sticking to it.
Ah, I see. Well I think he just has a knack for the creepy. One could make the same argument for Orlando Bloom or Robert Pattinson.

Question though. Doesn't he do the voice of Rango? That is rather completely off the archetype you claim him to be from, so I think he's trying to expand his horizons a bit.
absolutely you could, i just don't care about those guys 'cause they're not in literally every movie

oh, rango? quirky animal with child appeal? yeah that's totally not like a quirky pirate, or quirky detective, or quirky guy with scissors for hands, or quirky head of a factory that makes magical candy.

rango is pretty much just that dude from corpse bride, painted, add a tail, change setting to western.

we get it dude, your characters have to be loners.

btw i'm not tryin' to start shit with you personally, depp's just got that kind of face that makes people wanna sock him in it.

edit: still though, maybe he really is sincerely trying to not be as type-cast with this role, and if that's the case good on him.

second edit: @Seraphic: he's great, at applying a formula. he's pretty much the acting equivalent of an SEO. gets the job done, and does it efficiently, but at the end of the day it's just not worth that awful slimy feeling.
Well it is a children's movie...Hence the child appeal.

I don't quite think the issue is with his acting as much as what the directors want. They saw he does strangeness fantastically and so that's what they want from him. I wouldn't quite put the blame on him personally, I honestly think he could do a different kind of role if he wanted.
Also, I haven't seen the movie so I can't be sure of this, but really from what I can tell Rango is definitely not like the Corpse Bride....I mean think about it; for one, that's all emo and dead and stuff. Biiiig difference from animals in the west.

I know it's not personal. xD I just disagree on some points, that's all. I personally really like Johnny Depp. I don't see anything wrong with him playing roles that he's good at.

If you want to go a bit more mainstream for actors who play the same type...
Brad Pitt.
SeraphicStar

Doesn't count when you have a man crush on the person in cause. (<3 Pitt)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Part of the problem is the mindset of Hollywood producers. They see he was good in one movie, they give him more characters like it to cash in on the success and he has ended up being typecast. It seems to happen all too often.

Edit: Celestina beat me too it :P
darth_angelus wrote:
Part of the problem is the mindset of Hollywood producers. They see he was good in one movie, they give him more characters like it to cash in on the success and he has ended up being typecast. It seems to happen all too often.

Yay someone else sees this too! xD
"They saw he does strangeness fantastically"

not really. he puts on a couple of affectations and reads a script. any portland hipster can do that fake shit infinitely better.

"but really from what I can tell Rango is definitely not like the Corpse Bride....I mean think about it; for one, that's all emo and dead and stuff. Biiiig difference from animals in the west."

the one thing all his characters have in common: they're special. even when they're not technically the main character, as in the pirates movies, they really are. sure in that case it was just because the main characters were so bland it was impossible to care about them, but a couple of forced affectations don't really substitute for, well, any redeeming values of any kind. his characters are always mary sues, whether this is intentional or not, and that's the real reason they appeal to girls.

and yes, pitt does the same thing, only difference is his audience: guys who like to refer to themselves as "edgy" and "non-conformist" and "social engineers" - and his characters are generally mary sues as well, hence why they appeal to boys

it's pretty hilarious

edit @ninja darth: spot-on. it's just laziness all around. if he actually wanted to do something different, he could get a script written specifically for him, with the pull he has. of course why bother when you're making ten figures or whatever ridiculous amount i'm sure he pulls in
Actually he doesn't just read a script. If you've seen the behind the scenes for Rango, they practically act out some of the scenes as best they can for voice accuracy. I don't think a portland hipster has the acting ability that comes with memorizing all those lines and expressing such things in just a tone of voice.

Every character is 'special'. Look in a lot of movies, you'll see it everywhere. Ditto goes for the mary-sueness. It's movies, they're not realy and mary-sue is enjoyed in all kinds of movies by all kinds of ages and genders.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Making and acting in movies is harder and more time consuming than most people think.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Johnny Depp at it again.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus