Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » R.I.P. Puddy.

Today I had to put down my cat, which is something that I never dreamed of doing for many years. She has been with me since I was 10 years old. My mom worked at the humane society and somebody had dumped off this half dead flame point Siamese kitten. Normally, my mom probably would have just put it down but my sister and I begged her to take the poor kitten in and try to nurse her back to health. Well, we did. We worked together, bottle feeding her and nurturing her back to a healthy condition. She was such a pretty cat, but unfortunately I can't remember her in her younger years very well. One thing I do recall is that we had our much older, grumpy cat smudge, and I remember Puddy jumping on smudges back and pretty much riding her like a bull. Smudge freaked out, trying to buck her off. I remember that I used to call it the rodeo. My parents are divorced so she stayed at my moms, however my dad fell in love with her and ultimately took her to keep at his house. During that time me and.. 'Jiggles' (She had many nicknames, I called her jiggles because well... she turned out to be a huge cat and her 'jiggles' would bounce around when she ran or walked).Anyways Jiggles and I didn't get along too well at times and we would battle each other.

Eventually we evened out and were buddies. She made me feel safe when I slept. When I cleaned she made sure to 'help' by getting in the way and making sure to walk through dirt piles to track dirt everywhere again. She was a very smart cat. She would watch my father eat dinner, then the moment he stood she would scream at him to give her her after dinner treat. She was silly too, after she did her business in the litterbox she would race around the house happily. She loved danger too. One time a bat got into the house, a baby one, and it flew at my face. I screamed bloody murder and here comes jiggles running to the scene. I swear, she had the biggest grin on her face like 'ooh this is gonna be good!' When we started feeding stray cats, she was very unhappy because they were allowed outside and she was not. She wanted to kick their butts so bad. Eventually we had to bring kittens into the house, and we were afraid how she would act. At first she just watched them and would hiss, but then she adopted them as her own. She loved all the kittens, litter after litter.

I regret not paying enough attention to her in the later years of her life. Having so many cats due to people dumping them on us, I tended to pay more attention to them rather than her. She was a beautiful and amazing cat who I can never, ever replace in a million years. When my dad told me that her liver had failed and she had a stroke I couldn't believe it. She couldn't stand or walk anymore. I never imagined anything like this to happen to her. But I was lucky enough to see her one last time before we put her down. Dad picked me up from school and i held her in my lap on the drive to the vet where my mom works. She meowed badly at first but them calmed down when i petted her. She seemed so much worse than what I remember her to be like last weekend. I felt so horrible. Dad told me that when she would meow, all the kittens would run to her and make sure she was okay, and that a couple of them slept with her to keep her warm. It was really hard to put her down. I couldn't be in the room, but now I wish i was because I heard her meow loudly and then nothing. I should have been there in the final minutes but I was so scared that I would faint or my sobbing would make it worse for puddy. I loved this cat so much. She was involved with me 12 years of my life that I will never get back. Not only was she my pet, she was my sister.

Dads house will never be the same again.
Have any of you ever lost a pet precious to you?
320966_4181905746059_1026169378_n.jpg
537429_4178446019568_1553265831_n.jpg
69668_4184910101166_554824605_n.jpg
553732_3571915656688_426205849_n.jpg184674_1609131628314_42310_n.jpg";
I am terribly sorry to hear of about the loss of your dear friend. You have my sympathy and my understanding. I have lost brothers, sisters, and friends of the four legged sort as well, some to time, some to sickness, and some to misfortune.
In truth, from my experiences, there is little that can be done to change the way that you feel right now. You probably feel as if you heart is broken, and perhaps it is. I can only say that, from experience, time will heal the wound, as well love. Love is a perishable item, and if you don't give it freely, it can build up and become sour.
So place a headstone, or scatter her ashes, or even simply just light a candle and have a drink to Puddy's memory. Keep a small place in your mind for her, and remember all the things about her, good and bad, that made Puddy the cat she was. Grab someone and hold them close, the furrier the better, perhaps, and take a moment to cry, but know that she'll always live on in your heart and your memories, and also remember that cats go to heaven too.
*Hugs* She was a really pretty cat! I'm sorry for your loss. It's always really hard to lose a pet, I haven't lost one of my own yet, but I have close friends who have. I was just as attached to their four legged family members!

I gave this poem to my friend when she lost her dog. I don't know if you are very religious, but it's sweet anyway. <3 <3
Oh Reeno, I'm so sorry. Putting down an animal can be some of the worst pain ever. I'm so sorry you had to put Puddy down, twelve years is a great amount of time to fall in love and have a furry baby like Puddy. Take solace in knowing that by putting her down you did save her a lot of pain you made a choice that was best for her no matter how hard it hurt. It isn't something that will make you feel good now, a year, or two years from now when something sparks a memory of you two (believe me I've been there and it sounds ridiculous but still it will happen) but it's the truth. Love on your other kitties, try not to have regrets, and please remember you had twelve amazing years with a gorgeous cat.
I am sorry for the loss of your cat (who I know felt like much more than 'just a cat'). I have lost in the past many of my own pets and I can never once remember not being distraught about it. The one that hurt the most was my childhood cat Misty. So when I noticed he was sick..and we were going to have to put him down..I inked his paws and when he passed I took them to a tattoo shop and had them placed on me. If you'd like to see

http://sanitytheory.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d11beyk

Really there is no way to say "Oh hey you'll be okay." because it'll hurt for a while. But I know all of us here at RPR are here if you ever just need to talk! I know I personally have not had the honor to talk or RP with you but I still am a good listener. We could swap kitty stories and photos or talk about Pie. Yeah Pie. I do enjoy a good pie. Puddy knew you loved her even if you couldn't be in the room with her. I hope you're okay! Think of the good happy times!
InquisitorCat Topic Starter

Thank you everyone, for your support.

Jaybird, what you said touched me very much and I did have a good cry after reading what you had to say.

Loki, Yes the rainbow bridge, the vet my mom works at actually sends cards with that poem out to those who lose their pets. It is a nice thought, thank you.

Rubix, Thank you, I will do just that when I return home. Especially the one at home that has a heart condition. She needs all the love she can get.

TornbySanity, That was such a great idea, I wish I had done that before we buried her because that would have been the only reason I would get a tattoo. Thank you.
EdtheNeko

reeno-alchemist wrote:
Have any of you ever lost a pet precious to you?
Why yes I have. I'll share my story of my cat if it helps.
It was the year 1995, I was just a very young child then. One day a friend of the family went to mow the grass across the street because the guy who lived there was too old to do it themselves. I went over to help. I hated when the lawn mover started up as the blades like to kick up rocks. So why this friend started up the lawn mower i wondered into the woods behind the house. It was then I heard a tiny meow, and then again. I followed the noise and came across a stray kitten, perhaps a few weeks old. I tried to get closer it ran past me, it ran back to the lawn mower that wasn't started yet, and jumped up onto it into my family friend's lap. I soon followed, and held the kitten as we crossed the street cat in hand. I was asked if we where to keep the cat what I would name her. I said "Patty Cat" ...and since that day I had my very first cat.

We used to live on arches of land, every day my cat would chase rabbits, I would stop her if she ever got close to catching one. I slept with her about every night. Patty Cat to me, was like my daughter in a way. I raised her from a kitten, to the fat cat she became. She would spend her later years basking in the sun, on mossy grass spots in the yard. We moved 2 times, and always she find a mossy grass spot in the sun to lay down on. Patty Cat was special, she didn't roam like other cats, stayed close to home, and always came when I called her. She was a very smart cat indeed. Her eyes did leak a little bit, we took her to the vet. The vet said it was normal, nothing serious and I just have to clean her eyes every now and then. Which I did every time they needed to be cleaned. She had a good life, even with some rough times, she gave birth to kittens, was fixed later. One day she had an ear infection, her ear swelled up. We manged to leak the puss form her ear. She was fine after, but the end result was one of her ears shrank in size due to the fluid loss. She still had good hearing though, even with 1 ear smaller then the other. But even with a small ear, she loved having me scratch her behind that ear more then the other one. Throughout the 16 years with her, she made me love animals and cats. I was with her every day.

Then it happened, one day Patty Cat refused to eat, I spent a few hours trying to coax her into eating but she didnt. She is about 16 or so years old, she is a wise cat, and even she knew something was up with her. Now for all who don't know, cats when they get close to death somehow sense it, some of them who are attached to their owners run away. That way when they die, the owners wont know or be sad. Its happened to others before, and its a little known fact. However, Patty Cat was very close to me throughout her life, I loved her as my own family. The next day arrived, Patty Cat didn't want want to move, she didn't wish to walk and was coughing a bit. I stayed with her during this time, holding and petting her. It seemed like no matter what she didn't want to walk or even move form laying down. I was worried, and I knew she was old. I didn't have the heart to put her down even if I was given the chance, she meant too much (besides as fate would have it, that day I was home alone with no car). I spent her final hours alone with her at home, holding her, petting her loving her. Till after a bit of coughing, her body went limp, and she was gone. I held her for a few moments after. The cat I had loved for 16 years, was gone. I was with her to the very end. I then took to the task of digging her grave, I found a stone build in the ground I used as a grave marker. Weeks later, grassy moss grew over the ground of her grave...the same kind of grass she loved to lay in.

She gave me many happy times throughout the years. I don't regret anything about my time with her, expect one thing. I wish I taken more photos of her. I have a few photos, just not any digital photos on the web, expect one. It isn't a great picture, but I shall post it here anyway.
PDR_0047.jpg
R.I.P "Patty Cat" 1995 - 2011
I hope sharing my story helps in some way, we have all had losses in our days, however you must keep the good times in mind, because the good almost always out-weights the feeling of loss when it's their time to go. In the end, the animals time with you is what mattered, and even if they are gone, they at least left you with those good times. Those good times are what makes raising a pet worth it.
I have never lost a pet due to death, but I've had all of the ones I've had taken away for various reasons (not because I was a bad caretaker but for things like the pet belonged to an ex-husband/it peed everywhere and things like that). I'm extremely happy that I have my current cat, Ruffles, with me right now because she's been a trooper with me for the past two years - my mom was in a rocky divorce and we moved back home, couldn't find jobs, and everything that entails.

I've always been SUPER attached to my pets (even moreso than some people in my life) and I can't even think about a little lost stray kitten dying alone out there or getting eaten by an owl or else I'll get light headed and feel faint, finally having to think about something else entirely. I am not going to be a happy camper when the day comes that I have to part with my Ruffles. I don't even think about it because it makes me vomit.

Reeno, I know we're all just 'some people on the internet,' but remember that this community cares for you and what you've been through. If you ever need anything, or just need to get something off of your chest, feel free to pm any one of us.
I'm so sorry. I know how it feels to lose a loyal pet. I use to have a brown and white pit-bull, Patchy. I had him for six short sweet years. I loved the dog like crazy. I forgot how my family got him, but I remember that we got him not long after my mom met my stepfather. He was such a sweet dog. I remember he had this funny habit. Every time we washed him her would go to the dirt in the yard(we had very little grass) and roll around in just to make me laugh. He was such a great dog. He did, however, have a rivalry with this rottweiler that lived in the valley of the hill that my house was on. It happened that rottweiler belonged to my cousin's grandmother, my great-aunt. I remember one time Patchy and the rottweiler got lose and started fighting. My stepfather tried to stop them by sticking his hand in between them and Patchy mistook Joey's(my stepfather) hand for the other dog and bit him. That stopped the fight dead in it's tracks.

Well, not long after Joey died Patchy got lose again and got hit by a car not far form my house. My mom and me rushed over to where he was and knew he was dead. I still miss him deeply. He was always looking out for the family and loved all of us deeply. I even took him to my school and he won best pet because he was so friendly and gentle with the other kids. He is the reason why I love pit-bulls so much, no matter what I will always want a dog and I will always try to find a pit-bull like my beloved Patchy.

I know how you feel right now. It always hurts to lose a loyal pet, more so one that was like family for you like Puddy was for you and like Patchy was for me. I do pray that Puddy does get her rest in peace and is in a better place.
......Is that a birman?

Sorry....it's just your cat looks so very similar to the one I had and he also died at 12 years.

Edit: Oh it's a Siamese. Easy mistake. I didn't read the post much after I glanced at the picture.

I don't have a pic of my cat, but I can show you a pic that was close.
Red point Birman

It's similar to my dear Snowflake, although his blue eyes were a bit darker. So your pictures of Puddy kinda stunned me a bit. I miss him.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » R.I.P. Puddy.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus