Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » "Your turn" notifications and more

I've noticed that myself and a few of my friends have a problem keeping track of RPs sometimes, and we forget them.

This causes the RP to RIP, if you catch my meaning. ;P

Perhaps we could implement a turn-based system for RPs? I realize that we already have the subscription notifications, but those are one-time things, and do not consistently remind you of the RP.

An alternative could be that there could be an option to cause the subscription notifications to "repeat" if you don't reply to the topic after a while?

Another few simple ideas to implement into the forums:

View Count: Simple, a counter that tells you how many people viewed your topic. Nothing major, just an idea I had from another forum.

Reply Count: Again, a simple counter that tells you how many replies there are in the topic. Not necessary, just would be something that seems pretty cool.

Cheers,

~Oaky
Kim Site Admin

Oaky wrote:
Perhaps we could implement a turn-based system for RPs? I realize that we already have the subscription notifications, but those are one-time things, and do not consistently remind you of the RP.

What do you mean, one time things? Just that if no one responds, it gradually slides down the notifications boards?
Quote:
View Count: Simple, a counter that tells you how many people viewed your topic. Nothing major, just an idea I had from another forum.
This is easy to do, but I can't see it serving any real purpose.
Quote:
Reply Count: Again, a simple counter that tells you how many replies there are in the topic. Not necessary, just would be something that seems pretty cool.
This already exists. :)
Oaky Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Oaky wrote:

What do you mean, one time things? Just that if no one responds, it gradually slides down the notifications boards?
Precisely. In my experience, I'll reply to an RP topic, hit the subscribe button, and leave it be until the next time I log on. I go to Grandma's house for the weekend, and when I get back, my precious notification that reminds me that someone posted after me is no longer visible! Of course, I've forgotten about it, because my other RP is more prominently displayed at the top of my home page.

My suggestion, more specifically put, would cause the notification to be "Bumped" back to the top if you haven't replied or at least viewed the topic in question after something new happens to it. Does that make sense?
Kim wrote:
This is easy to do, but I can't see it serving any real purpose.
Agreed. It was worth a shot, though. :P
Kim wrote:
:O Really? I hadn't noticed! Where? :P
A way too implement that could be by being able to make some notifications 'sticky' like in forums. That might actually be an interesting function. Then again, it isn't that difficult to go back a few pages to the day you last checked your notification and read them ;)
Kim wrote:
Oaky wrote:
:O Really? I hadn't noticed! Where? :P

It says so when you look at forums. There's "Topic, Author, Replies, last reply". Of course you only see this is you actually browse to the topic in question instead of just clicking the link to it and immediately opening it!
Sanne Moderator

To the right of your notifications page, you can view the following:

Filters

- All
- Subscribed Topics
- Groups
Group One
Group Two
Group Three
Etc.

If for example you want to see when we last replied to our own RPs, you click on "Afterlife Omega" in the groups list and it will show you all notifications from that group.

Subscribed Topics will filter to all the topics YOU subscribed to, not what everyone is posting or what their characters did.

This narrows the query down quite a bit and makes it easier to track your subscriptions. Clicking the pencil next to a filter allows you to edit more options for each subscription and lists the subscribed topics more concisely.
Oaky wrote:
My suggestion, more specifically put, would cause the notification to be "Bumped" back to the top if you haven't replied or at least viewed the topic in question after something new happens to it. Does that make sense?

I don't want this. I'd get notifications for literally HUNDREDS of topics I posted in and subscribed to over two years ago. At what point is a topic one you'd want to be reminded of? You'd have to manually set it, and I think that'd just be tons more confusing than the system we already have.

If it's problematic for you to track your RPs, perhaps it's an idea to make a Bookmarks folder with "Active Roleplays" and bookmark the topics you're involved in. That way you can always check for new posts with the handful of topics you're supposed to be posting in!
Oaky Topic Starter

Earendill wrote:
A way too implement that could be by being able to make some notifications 'sticky' like in forums. That might actually be an interesting function. Then again, it isn't that difficult to go back a few pages to the day you last checked your notification and read them ;)
Sticky notifications could be cool! That actually sounds much better than my idea. :P
Sanne wrote:
Subscribed Topics will filter to all the topics YOU subscribed to, not what everyone is posting or what their characters did.

This narrows the query down quite a bit and makes it easier to track your subscriptions. Clicking the pencil next to a filter allows you to edit more options for each subscription and lists the subscribed topics more concisely.
D'oh! Me and my silly overly complicated plans to fix the problem when the simple solution is right there all along! XD
Sanne wrote:
I don't want this. I'd get notifications for literally HUNDREDS of topics I posted in and subscribed to over two years ago. At what point is a topic one you'd want to be reminded of? You'd have to manually set it, and I think that'd just be tons more confusing than the system we already have.
Hmm... I didn't think about that! I guess that makes sense, though.

So, this idea's a bust then, huh? XD

Awesome.

Thanks for the discussion, guys! Now that a few things have been brought to my attention that I was previously ignorant of, I don't even want this to be implemented of! XD

Cheers,

~Oaky
Kim Site Admin

Sanne just made all the points I was going to. XD

I actually have been suggesting some kind of "RP Center" that helps you keep track of current RPs by telling you when you are no longer the last person to have posted in a thread, but it keeps proving incredibly complicated for those same "How does it know what's a real RP"? issue. Manual marking is one solution, but it's incredibly clunky in practice. So maybe we'll end up with something that branches off this idea one day. :) It just won't actually have much to do with notifications.
Tar

Would it not be far more simple in all regards to create more of a nudge or highlight system where other individuals involved in a roleplay can give you a 'poke' that brings up a notification in a whole different location of its own, much like a pending alert?

With, of course the option choose to ignore it or leave the reminder active. This could be like the friend notification system, only connected to threads.
Kim Site Admin

Tailbone wrote:
Would it not be far more simple in all regards to create more of a nudge or highlight system where other individuals involved in a roleplay can give you a 'poke' that brings up a notification in a whole different location of its own, much like a pending alert?

With, of course the option choose to ignore it or leave the reminder active. This could be like the friend notification system, only connected to threads.

Or they could send you a PM?
Kim makes an excellent point. If people notice you haven't replied back in a few days (and you haven't given them a reason for the absence) they can politely PM you about it. SO SIMPLE. XD
Earendill wrote:
Kim makes an excellent point. If people notice you haven't replied back in a few days (and you haven't given them a reason for the absence) they can politely PM you about it. SO SIMPLE. XD

This is something me and my current rp partner have with the understanding we're both leading busy lives right now and may accidentally forget our rp. So far neither of us has had to remind the other but still. Lol.
I had a couple idea for this on the thread I posted a while ago:

http://www.rprepository.com/community/forumthread.php?t=5152

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » "Your turn" notifications and more

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus