Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Journal/Blog page for Writer Profile?

I am back with another suggestion!

So another thing I’ve kinda missed from my days on RPG was our ability to write public articles. Something that anyone in the public could read but also something that stayed connected to your profile so that it wasn’t going to get lost in a chat or forum.

People could use these for anything, but they were often used for people displaying one shot stories, or little think/opinion pieces that they had on things. I used them personally to get my thoughts on certain subjects of writing/rp (e.g. like fighting rp do/don’ts, how to avoid purple prose, etc.), as well as some times write out stories.

You could also make to where there’s a mature content flag/filter for people who want to write more violant/profane/sexual public one shot stories. That was something even RPG didn’t have.
The character profiles [which you can make one for yourself as a 'writer'] have journal widgets that could do this. There is quite a lot of text that could be posted in them.
Hades_

Djinn-n-Tonic wrote:
The character profiles [which you can make one for yourself as a 'writer'] have journal widgets that could do this. There is quite a lot of text that could be posted in them.

^^ This.

You can also edit your own writer's profiles on a second by second basis on your own. YOu can even create your own OOC groups to do this with too and link to it on your writer's profile.

I don't think we need widgets for our writer's profiles.

EDIT: Just as an aside and information against the talk over RPG's use of it.

I've seen plenty of people use groups as their own OOC things like that. You'd have unlimited access to do whatever you want and format it just as easily with the same BBCode use. I don't think the widget would be used for anything other than an abusive status update system like the RPG one got tackled with. It was heavily used as a status and OOC rant section over anything else. 2% of the journal entries were used for actual writing compared to the mass amounts of "what's the deal with this bullshit" crap people posted.

It was a good idea, but the control over it was poor and it was horrendously abused. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I don't want to see that happen to RPR.
Kamizombie Topic Starter

PrettySir wrote:
Djinn-n-Tonic wrote:

^^ This.

You can also edit your own writer's profiles on a second by second basis on your own. YOu can even create your own OOC groups to do this with too and link to it on your writer's profile.

I've seen plenty of people use groups as their own OOC things like that. You'd have unlimited access to do whatever you want and format it just as easily with the same BBCode use. I don't think the widget would be used for anything other than an abusive status update system like the RPG one got tackled with. It was heavily used as a status and OOC rant section over anything else. 2% of the journal entries were used for actual writing compared to the mass amounts of "what's the deal with this bullshit" crap people posted.

It was a good idea, but the control over it was poor and it was horrendously abused. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I don't want to see that happen to RPR.

‘Abused’ is a heavy term. There was no rule against using them for status updates here, and with what I’m proposing, it wouldn’t happen anyway.

The friending system here would mean articles/journals would only be seen by friends, and rules of the site wouldn’t change at all, so a rants wouldn’t be a problem; things targeting individuals or groups could still be reported the same way.

As for the journal suggestion by making a character profile, I would think they would be limited on the number of journal entries someone could make, which would be redundant to the point of a blog.

I don’t know, I’d prefer to have somewhere I can put my thoughts on a particular topic and save it down without wasting valuable profile or it getting lost in the sea that is the forums.
Kamizombie wrote:
PrettySir wrote:
Djinn-n-Tonic wrote:

^^ This.

‘Abused’ is a heavy term. There was no rule against using them for status updates here, and with what I’m proposing, it wouldn’t happen anyway.

The friending system here would mean articles/journals would only be seen by friends, and rules of the site wouldn’t change at all, so a rants wouldn’t be a problem; things targeting individuals or groups could still be reported the same way.

As for the journal suggestion by making a character profile, I would think they would be limited on the number of journal entries someone could make, which would be redundant to the point of a blog.

I don’t know, I’d prefer to have somewhere I can put my thoughts on a particular topic and save it down without wasting valuable profile or it getting lost in the sea that is the forums.

I do not believe there is a limit and if you are concerned over one, then you can always archive them in a ooc group like Prettysir suggested.

Friends see journal entries that characters post, unless they turn that feature off.

Basically what you want to do can be done either with a character profile or a OOC group, you'd just have to invite people to said group.
Hades_

Kamizombie wrote:
PrettySir wrote:
Djinn-n-Tonic wrote:

^^ This.

There is absolutely no limit to the amount of journal entries a character can make. I don't know where you got that idea. XD
This probably wouldn't happen. It'd just mean a whole lot more for the mods to, well, moderate.
Besides, why not create a group for this? You could advertise it to the public as a place to just vent. Unless we already have something like that.
I personally think it would be unnecessary and would rather Kim put time, money, and energy into other things on the site. Here's why; the forums are plenty good enough for posting thoughts/advice/opinions/ideas on specific topics. And going to 'your posts' you can easily find any post of your a you like. Your friends will also be able to see your post because if they chose they get a notification on their feed about it. I personally feel this system works just fine, and forum posts can easily be linked in your profile.

Secondly, if you want short stories and the like to be on the site for people to see, I also think making a group for posting stories would be best. I don't like the idea of RPR becoming somewhat a fiction story posting website along side an RP website. So, I don't think it should be an added thing for that reason as well. Stories can also be posted via Google docs and linked on profiles.

Another thing is, I don't like the idea of having a filtered journal either.
Mature and explicit story material is only allowed in group's, and private message, with a fine line on character profiles and I think that should definitely stay that way. There's a reason for there being a journal option on character pages and not profiles and one can guess it's because the forums, linking a offsite blog, and keeping things in groups is quite enough for OOC.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Journal/Blog page for Writer Profile?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus