Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Character Deaths and such

CelestinaGrey Topic Starter

Darth...that is deep. O-O

Senny; ah, okay. xD Interesting
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Celestina: Thanks, that's what I was going for :)

Senny, that is an interesting way to continue a character after death :)
I'm a huge gorephobe, so I usually kill characters off-screen, or have minimal description of the actual death--focusing on emotions way more than sensations if it's their POV, trying to work through implication if it's someone else's. And they tend to be more plain-and-simple "killed by war" or "killed by illness" or "killed by assassins" than twisted. But I do have a few with more detail that I consider somewhat twisted (by my, as mentioned, gorephobic standards).

One character, whom I don't RP but do write about, is a demon. He's actually a pretty good guy within his own ethical framework, but he has to be summoned into a flayed skin and fed a live victim to keep him summoned upon first appearance, and then needs a pretty hefty share of blood and flesh (any kind, not just human) to keep him going. His first summoner was supposed to be the living sacrifice for her brother's summoning of an older demon, but turned the tables on him, got him killed by the demon he was trying to raise, and used his skin and a young cousin to summon and bind a yet unnamed one instead. The one full story about him, the story of that incident, was produced in backlash to a genre-trashing, much-reviled writing teacher who had me so fed up that I felt like she deserved to have to grade psuedo-cannibalism, so it's pretty graphic. His other summoning I've also written about, and from the POV of the sacrifice, but ended it before he actually did anything to her besides apologize. Her husband wanted to get rid of her and acquire a new weapon, and basically combined the two while she was still weak from childbirth. (Contract phrasing: "I swear to feed you only on those already condemned to die." Whoops.) Demons on the human plane are also in a constant state of starvation in this setting--they're never not hungry, and they constantly burn up and need to replenish their mass--so just about every appearance involves him eating something or someone, and they're not always dead when he starts in, depending on whether he's too hungry to worry about the usual niceties. Also, demon reproduction on their own plane can fairly accurately be described as vore.

In RP... hmm. Again, I tend to steer away from really nasty deaths or graphic descriptions of them. Lots of focusing on the emotions or whatever they're saying to other people in the thread, and lots and lots of implication. Mind, I don't consider simple/expected-in-their-line-of-work deaths to be twisted, but I've gotten some comments on characters who died of gut wounds or other "slow, certain death" methods.... I do have a couple of characters in critter-bonding games who pretty much 'died' when their bondees did and are now walking shells, though, which I consider more grotesque than just killing them would have been.
I might disgust you, but I'm a huge Guro fan, so usually I have the most Brutal and gory deaths EVER, for characters in my stories, Sometimes in roleplays it happens, but I don't roleplay enough anymore for it to happen to them, so, only in my elf written stories.

@Lyse
my god, that sounds lovely. <333
Rarely have I ever killed off a serious rp character.. part of this is because Ive put money into them >,>. Also if I just stop rping them, by then there is usually no point in saying they died, as by then there isn't anyone around to really witness the fact that they died. In my novels however, it's open season, no one is safe. I would go into detail but that would be like .. spoilers, since I do plan on being published.
Yuka

Zhi wrote:
Rarely have I ever killed off a serious rp character.. part of this is because Ive put money into them >,>. Also if I just stop rping them, by then there is usually no point in saying they died, as by then there isn't anyone around to really witness the fact that they died. In my novels however, it's open season, no one is safe. I would go into detail but that would be like .. spoilers, since I do plan on being published.

Open season made me picture all your alts running around in a forested area, and you with shotgun in hand and cigarette in your mouth - "Let's go huntin' wabbits."

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Character Deaths and such

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus