Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Character/Art Theft?

I had a weird nightmare last night. It went something like this...

I was on the RPR, someone new joined. Seemed nice enough, bad typing skills (example: hi guys im new here how r u?)
And when I decided to take a look at their characters... they had one of mine (Tonic actually), and copypasted the entire profile. I was like WTH. Then proceeded to say so, but for some reason no one believed me as the guy said 'they had proof the character was theirs'. Which I had way more proof (commission records, previous rps, ect).
And I ended up complaining to Kim and she wasn't sure what to do really and was considering deleting both 'versions' of the character to solve the problem (OTL, if this happened in RL I think Kim would have been on my side due to the fact it was VERY obvious that guy did NOT make the profile). Anyways... onto the point.

Has anyone ever stolen your character? Art? Or anything like that and claimed it as their own?
Amirrora Topic Starter

PS: I've never had anything of mine stolen in real life yet. : ) Good for that.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

That sounds like a horrible dream. If it did become reality, just bring it to the attention of Kim, myself or one of the other moderators :)

Fortunately, the only thing someone has tried to steal here is my iPad. Yes Lance, I'm watching you ;)

Can't say I've had anyone steal my characters or anything associated with them so far.
darth_angelus wrote:
Fortunately, the only thing someone has tried to steal here is my iPad. Yes Lance, I'm watching you ;)

*giggles*

I've never had anything of mine stolen either, Ami. I've been trolled before on Furc (someone made a character with only one letter of the name different from mine, and made the char look like mine and all but she didn't have a description). I didn't even know it until she said 'duh idiot, I'm trolling you' or something like that. xD; I thought it had been coincidence.

So yeah, I hope it doesn't happen!
Amirrora Topic Starter

darth_angelus wrote:
That sounds like a horrible dream. If it did become reality, just bring it to the attention of Kim, myself or one of the other moderators :)

It was a pretty horrible dream D; and of course I would.
: )

Ha ha, the Ipad thing. Lance secretly adores them. : )
Amirrora Topic Starter

CelestinaGrey wrote:
*giggles*

I've never had anything of mine stolen either, Ami. I've been trolled before on Furc (someone made a character with only one letter of the name different from mine, and made the char look like mine and all but she didn't have a description). I didn't even know it until she said 'duh idiot, I'm trolling you' or something like that. xD; I thought it had been coincidence.

So yeah, I hope it doesn't happen!

Oh wow. Ha ha. I've never been trolled like that before. I probably would be like "Oh we have similar characters<3 Cool!"
LOL. *shot* I'm way too nice.
TwistedEmotions

I've had someone on Furcadia take some character art of mine. It's fairly common with portraits. The art in question was rather old, but that still didn't give them the right to use it. That was many years ago, and I've been fortunate so far with my characters. Then again, I don't roleplay them in many places to begin with, so I doubt that there would be any art thieves on the prowl there. It's upsetting the first time it happens, but it's easily taken care of if you have proof and all that. Staff isn't dumb. ;D
Amirrora wrote:
I probably would be like "Oh we have similar characters<3 Cool!"

Dude seriously that's how I was. XDD I probably threw the poor troll for a loop and gave them a 'wtf' moment. xD
I'd be the same way XD

I have never had art thefted, but I always throw a watermark up on my deviantart stuff and the only other place I put art is on my facebook where I know everybody and here.
Amirrora Topic Starter

TwistedEmotions wrote:
I've had someone on Furcadia take some character art of mine. It's fairly common with portraits. The art in question was rather old, but that still didn't give them the right to use it. That was many years ago, and I've been fortunate so far with my characters. Then again, I don't roleplay them in many places to begin with, so I doubt that there would be any art thieves on the prowl there. It's upsetting the first time it happens, but it's easily taken care of if you have proof and all that. Staff isn't dumb. ;D

Oh wow. And that's very true.
And it would be very upsetting and such. I would be so sad if someone stole character art of mine (not worried about art I've done, but perhaps Art I've had commissioned), I would probably get emotional and have to turn to my friends to help me sort it out.
Amirrora Topic Starter

f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
I'd be the same way XD

I have never had art thefted, but I always throw a watermark up on my deviantart stuff and the only other place I put art is on my facebook where I know everybody and here.

Ha ha, I might watermark once I'm a better artist.

And yes, that's true huh?

He he.
Amirrora Topic Starter

CelestinaGrey wrote:
Amirrora wrote:
I probably would be like "Oh we have similar characters<3 Cool!"

Dude seriously that's how I was. XDD I probably threw the poor troll for a loop and gave them a 'wtf' moment. xD

HA HA. That's amazing! And yeah! For sure huh.
Also I never draw anymore XD I'm a failure at being an artist.
f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
Also I never draw anymore XD I'm a failure at being an artist.

YOU SHOULD DRAW!!! Because I love your art and it's amazing so please draw please D:
I don't get inspired so much anymore; I used to draw every time I had paper while I was in school or just in my dorms. My room mate and I used to bounce ideas off each other like crazy. But now I'm alone and uninspired D:

My room mate is Evilduckie227 btw.
I have a friend who suffered through character & art theft, but to my knowledge this has never happened to me (and I hope it doesn't!)
Had a coincidence where someone on dA had something called "Chehtorian" as did I, but since this is a corruption of "Cheetor", such a coincidence is to be expected.

It's terrible when it happens, however. Good thing yours was just a dream, Ami!
...actually, my work desk was just broken in to, not to mention many other things. Though that's not exactly related, but theft sucks. Period.

Luckily, I haven't had character art stolen. (PHEW, also, knock on wood.) I've dealt with, on a few occasions, people stealing TGT patches/ports (specifically ones that were not made available in an old, free patch) and have had to do that.

I can't imagine though, how ripped off someone must feel when someone steals information/pictures/art of one's character. Especially when you've put obvious time and money into making them. As an example, I've had Siena for five years and quite a bit of money put into ports and commissions. I'd be positively livid if anyone tried to steal anything on her.
I've never had a character or art stolen- mostly because my characters, though expansive, never make it down hard copy enough to be stolen (my learning disability is also anti-theift. Hellzya).

However, I did used to write roleplay discriptions on Gaia for gold. I made one for myself, and saw it pop back up a few times after, all claiming to have written it themselves. I didn't care enough to report them, though I sent them a pm saying I knew they stole it. I had some of my old rp buddies recognise it and report them though.
Amirrora Topic Starter

Dylan wrote:
...actually, my work desk was just broken in to, not to mention many other things. Though that's not exactly related, but theft sucks. Period.

Luckily, I haven't had character art stolen. (PHEW, also, knock on wood.) I've dealt with, on a few occasions, people stealing TGT patches/ports (specifically ones that were not made available in an old, free patch) and have had to do that.

I can't imagine though, how ripped off someone must feel when someone steals information/pictures/art of one's character. Especially when you've put obvious time and money into making them. As an example, I've had Siena for five years and quite a bit of money put into ports and commissions. I'd be positively livid if anyone tried to steal anything on her.

Oh man that sucks.

And yeah, I know. It's like, if you're creative enough to roleplay... design your own character.
I've never had my character or my art stolen, but I've had people I'm friendly with have either one get taken.

It was actually really funny with the one because I saw the character name appear, checked the profile, and saw the art was of one friend's character. So I PMed him with a "asdfgdhjk--Hey! <3 I didn't know you RPed here!" and it turned out it wasn't him at all. Whoever was playing was so embarrassed that they came forward about it right away and immediately deleted the profile.

Another friend had artwork that she had commissioned specifically for her character taken out of her profile and raped with Photoshop, then stuck back on someone else's profile. The guy was a real fussbudget about taking it down, too.

I hope that nothing like that ever happens to me, but they DO say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, so...?

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Character/Art Theft?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus