Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Best pizza chain? *stirs controversy, grins*

Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

SINDragon wrote:
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Hmm... The two big U.S. chains of Pizza Hut and Domino's get aced out here in Brisbane by Pizza Capers. Because life is too short for crappy pizza.

yesssssssssssssssss

Lucky Auzzies. <3 ;)
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Selkieborn wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
I just ordered my mom and I some Papa John's pizza today, and we were talking about Domino's, and how we like Papa John's better...so I was wondering...

Which pizza chain, in your opinion, is the best?

And why?

Let the good-natured debate begin....

I love a chain here in the US called Barro’s pizza. They make a gluten free crust and happily make it without meat or cheese or sauce so I can eat it even with all my new annoying dietary restrictions because of a weird reaction to a surgery. Barro’s never gets it wrong and they never act weird about it.

There’s also a one of a kind place in my town called Organ Stop Pizza that has easily the best pizza in town(thick but perfect crust, crispy outside layer and airy, soft inside) and an actual Wurlitzer pipe organ and someone professional playing requests on it every night. It’s pretty much the most fun family oriented restaurant in my area. The whole restaurant is set up like a mead hall with long sharing tables and a cathedral ceiling. It’s awesome.

Selkieborn, that sounds awesome! Both of those things sound awesome, but especially the place with the organ.

The pizza sounds mouth-watering, and the organ music...well, that's one of a kind for sure. Never heard of anything like it. And the cathedral ceilings. That sounds really cool. Lol.

Also...wow having that kind of reaction after surgery that changes your diet so drastically...that's scary. Didn't know that could happen. Sorry you're having to deal with that. It's got to be challenging, I know, because I'm a vegetarian, so I rely on cheese and dairy to get my protein along with legumes and things. But going without cheese and gluten sounds like it would be a challenge. Barro's sounds like an amazing place, to be on top of it like that. I've gotten a lot of interesting answers and amusing looks when I go through the burger places and ask them for "a hamburger with no meat, extra sauce, and extra vegetables." Lmao. Usually they say,

"I'm sorry...no what?" And I say
"No meeaaattt." And I articulate it really well, not in a mean way, or anything.

And then sometimes when I get to the drive through window the person there will kind of look at me with wonder in their eyes as if thinking, "wow...that's what a vegetarian looks like...". Lmao

Ok I may be exaggerating a bit. Actually a lot of places don't miss a beat with it anymore. They're getting used to it. Lol

Hahahaha!!! No, that’s exactly it. The awed look of ‘ so that’s my first vegan’ and I’m like, not on purpose!! xD

It was challenging at first but now I’m just kinda dealing with it pretty well. It was a little scary at first because every time I ate I got super sick even worse than before the supposed ‘routine surgery’. But now that I know, it’s all good. Losing a lot of weight too which is nice.

The organ music is so cool. I’ll try to upload some to YouTube later when I get home and share it here :)

DarkCrow wrote:
-shrug- it tastes like pizza, it's good.

Now, not necessarily a chain per say, but down here in Texas we have Mama's Pizza and OH MY GOD so good. The crust?? The cheese??? Playing candy crane as a five year old who doesn't want to be at a family reunion???????

d96.jpg

Legit tho it's the best pizza I've ever had. It can't even really be quantified / qualified in comparison to the major pizza chains because holy crap it's just so good.

But anyway....

I think it honestly depends on the specific pizza I'm ordering.

Ex:
Dominos a while back had a cheeseburger pizza and um delicious
But if I'm craving a crappy thin piece of pizza that I can eat six to eight slices of in one sitting? Little Ceasar's
Do I want some atrocious sugar covered concoction to follow my pizza intake? Cici's because their cinnamon rolls are -insert another Pacha meme-
Pizza hut has some darn good pizza when it comes to the options I can order <3
And we don't support Papa John's in this house lol

tossing my official vote in for pizza hut just because that's the only place that delivers to my house lol

I'm in DFW. I'll have to look up this Mama's pizza you speak of.

Eventually I'll tally the votes for fun.

damnationfromafar wrote:
It's a tie for me but not between Papa John and Dominos...

Pizza Hut square pizza The crust is crazy amazing, it's like deep dish almost but just a smidge thinner; and the taste is something I can't even describe. - I put them first simply because every pizza includes jalapenos on the side and I'm obsessed.

Domino's deep dish. I just love crust okay? The crust is so gooddddd, and I love their cheese and white sauce the best.

Mmmmmmmmmmm

Ok this description just made me want pizza again, and I literally just had pizza last night!

I love deep dish too but haven't had a good one in years (Papa John's sucks at it in my opinion). So I shall try a pizza hut deep dish soon.

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Hmm... The two big U.S. chains of Pizza Hut and Domino's get aced out here in Brisbane by Pizza Capers. Because life is too short for crappy pizza.

Sounds yummy
I only had dominos in my life and sometimes it’s good and sometimes it’s bad , I had a pizza with to much oil and fat , that wasn’t really great. But I dkn’t have to worry about pizzas anymore since I turned vegetarian this year and I don’t like any other pizza then Peperoni

Cookiesareyummie wrote:
I only had dominos in my life and sometimes it’s good and sometimes it’s bad , I had a pizza with to much oil and fat , that wasn’t really great. But I dkn’t have to worry about pizzas anymore since I turned vegetarian this year and I don’t like any other pizza then Peperoni

ahhhhh i see.

Wow dominos gets around!

Selkieborn wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Selkieborn wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
I just ordered my mom and I some Papa John's pizza today, and we were talking about Domino's, and how we like Papa John's better...so I was wondering...

Which pizza chain, in your opinion, is the best?

And why?

Let the good-natured debate begin....

I love a chain here in the US called Barro’s pizza. They make a gluten free crust and happily make it without meat or cheese or sauce so I can eat it even with all my new annoying dietary restrictions because of a weird reaction to a surgery. Barro’s never gets it wrong and they never act weird about it.

There’s also a one of a kind place in my town called Organ Stop Pizza that has easily the best pizza in town(thick but perfect crust, crispy outside layer and airy, soft inside) and an actual Wurlitzer pipe organ and someone professional playing requests on it every night. It’s pretty much the most fun family oriented restaurant in my area. The whole restaurant is set up like a mead hall with long sharing tables and a cathedral ceiling. It’s awesome.

Selkieborn, that sounds awesome! Both of those things sound awesome, but especially the place with the organ.

The pizza sounds mouth-watering, and the organ music...well, that's one of a kind for sure. Never heard of anything like it. And the cathedral ceilings. That sounds really cool. Lol.

Also...wow having that kind of reaction after surgery that changes your diet so drastically...that's scary. Didn't know that could happen. Sorry you're having to deal with that. It's got to be challenging, I know, because I'm a vegetarian, so I rely on cheese and dairy to get my protein along with legumes and things. But going without cheese and gluten sounds like it would be a challenge. Barro's sounds like an amazing place, to be on top of it like that. I've gotten a lot of interesting answers and amusing looks when I go through the burger places and ask them for "a hamburger with no meat, extra sauce, and extra vegetables." Lmao. Usually they say,

"I'm sorry...no what?" And I say
"No meeaaattt." And I articulate it really well, not in a mean way, or anything.

And then sometimes when I get to the drive through window the person there will kind of look at me with wonder in their eyes as if thinking, "wow...that's what a vegetarian looks like...". Lmao

Ok I may be exaggerating a bit. Actually a lot of places don't miss a beat with it anymore. They're getting used to it. Lol

Hahahaha!!! No, that’s exactly it. The awed look of ‘ so that’s my first vegan’ and I’m like, not on purpose!! xD

It was challenging at first but now I’m just kinda dealing with it pretty well. It was a little scary at first because every time I ate I got super sick even worse than before the supposed ‘routine surgery’. But now that I know, it’s all good. Losing a lot of weight too which is nice.

The organ music is so cool. I’ll try to upload some to YouTube later when I get home and share it here :)

Ok. Yay.

Katia wrote:
Technically not a chain, but I'm a big fan of Costco's Pizza. >.> However we normally get Papa Murphy's since it's closer.

Hate Pizza Hut though, since the one time we got pizza from them, it came with hardly any cheese or toppings.

Yes I agree on Costco I like it too

Domino's is winning, so far!

Pizza Hut is in second place!

Method

I counted each positive mention as a vote, unless they already said their favorite was a certain one.
For ties, I counted both.

Fave Pizza Place Votes So Far

Domino's: 6 (deep dish, and cheese sticks specifically mentioned).

Pizza Hut: 3 (meat thin crust and deep dish specifically mentioned)

Pizza Capers (Australia): 2

Barro's: 1 (mentioned that it's great with vegan and gluton free)

Papa John's: 1 (garlic dipping sauce and the Spinach Alfredo pizza specifically mentioned)

Papa Murphy's: 1

Cicis: 0 (although someone mentioned they like the desserts!)

Little Caesars: 0 (although someone mentioned they like the thin crust pizza)

Non-pizza-chains or local chains lauded:

B.C. Pizza (MI)

Costco's

Mama's Pizza (TX)

My homemade pizza (psssssh...NO.)

Organ Stop Pizza
https://youtu.be/IwldleCfh2o

Not sure if you really wanted to see or not, text is hard for me to interpret but here it is!

Selkieborn wrote:
https://youtu.be/IwldleCfh2o

Not sure if you really wanted to see or not, text is hard for me to interpret but here it is!

You interpreted right. I wanted to see it.

I heard Phantom of the Opera in that clip, which is probably exactly what I would request if I visited Organ Stop Pizza too.

There's nothing quite like that in Texas that I know of, although we have some of our own delightfully peculiar places (like Medeival Times and a random cattle drive that goes through Fort Worth every weekday. Well, they call it a cattle drive. It's really just a few longhorns, but still. It's kinda neat.).

Thanks for sharing the clip. That sounds like a fun place, to be sure.
Used to be a big fan of Papa John's but now I'm all about that Marco's pizza since I discovered it when I lived in Ohio. So thankful that I found a location that's close by when I moved back to Texas. For some reason, it's just so nostalgic to me.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Costco pizza is my favorite, but if we're talking about actual restaurants, I pick Ledo's. :D
When I was in Georgia, I swore by Fox's Pizza, but it seems it was just that one restaurant, not the whole chain.

The Domino's near here is pretty good; gives the local Papa Johns a run for its money.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
DarkCrow wrote:
-shrug- it tastes like pizza, it's good.

Now, not necessarily a chain per say, but down here in Texas we have Mama's Pizza and OH MY GOD so good. The crust?? The cheese??? Playing candy crane as a five year old who doesn't want to be at a family reunion???????

d96.jpg

Legit tho it's the best pizza I've ever had. It can't even really be quantified / qualified in comparison to the major pizza chains because holy crap it's just so good.

But anyway....

I think it honestly depends on the specific pizza I'm ordering.

Ex:
Dominos a while back had a cheeseburger pizza and um delicious
But if I'm craving a crappy thin piece of pizza that I can eat six to eight slices of in one sitting? Little Ceasar's
Do I want some atrocious sugar covered concoction to follow my pizza intake? Cici's because their cinnamon rolls are -insert another Pacha meme-
Pizza hut has some darn good pizza when it comes to the options I can order <3
And we don't support Papa John's in this house lol

tossing my official vote in for pizza hut just because that's the only place that delivers to my house lol

I'm in DFW. I'll have to look up this Mama's pizza you speak of.

Eventually I'll tally the votes for fun.

I will say that the Mama's in Arlington has recently gone on the cheap end of cheese, though idk if that's changed fairly recently or not; Last time I had it, it was definitely better. They are franchise though, so I know of one further out (can't think of city right now >3>) that's still got the original cheese.

The crust and italian ranch are both to die for tho hnnnngh

Well, I'll have to check this Mama's place out soon, then. Whichever one is not the one in Arlington (I can figure that out). Whether I'll do it or not, who knows, but I may just do that sometime...because it sounds really good how you're describing it. I like all those qualities in a pizza. So...thank you for the info. :) DIdn't know I'd get a real recommendation on here like that that I can use...heh.

Everybody else....yay...thanks for chiming in. I'm gonna tally up votes again soon and it's just interesting to read y'alls recommendations.
Rogue-Scribe

Hmm... This appears to be a Dominos/Pizza Hut popularity contest. Here in Oz, they are where you get the bulk pizzas for your corporate lunch feed. I think the best pizza is found not at 'chains', but at the one off places. This was something I put together on another site in a thread called 'The Hitchhikers Guide to Really Good Pizza'. I thought I'd share. Maybe each of these places will get a vote? Dunno. But share I must...

Fire in the Belly in Lismore, New South Wales, Australa. The wood-fired pizza oven is a big red tile dragon and the pizza is awesome. Been a few years since I was in Lismore,but it seems to have the staying power.

The Burrow in Brisbane's West-End. Also with good beer and nice atmosphere! I'm a regular here to this day. They used to have this pizza called the Diana Ross that was an awesome Supreme.

Nico's Restaurant in Port Campbell, Victoria. No website so I linked Trip Advisor & FBook. Was down Port Campbell way on the Great Ocean Road a few years back, and Nico's was avoutn a block away from the caravan park.

Colle Rosso Italiano Ristorante makes a lovely thin crust pissa. They used to be really good, but now are good, as their pizza chef went to...

The Grove. Now they make the bestest thinnest crust pizza.

I would mention The Godfather Pizza near my house, but the Italian family that ran it when it was really good, sold it and went back to the 'old country'. The new owners are a lovely Indian family, but the cost-cutting started almost right away. I still get one from them once in awhie, mainly because Uber Eats delivers them, but they are inconsistant. You can have a really great one once, and a really crap one the next time. Missed the Italians and their consistantly great pizzas!

I'll suggest to everyone here to give the chains a pass and find your local independent pizza business and give them a try!
FreeJayFly wrote:
Used to be a big fan of Papa John's but now I'm all about that Marco's pizza since I discovered it when I lived in Ohio. So thankful that I found a location that's close by when I moved back to Texas. For some reason, it's just so nostalgic to me.
we have a Marcos too. My hubby swears it’s bad, but I like it and they always have sales and never mess up our order. So I just order when my hubby is out of town.

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Hmm... This appears to be a Dominos/Pizza Hut popularity contest. Here in Oz, they are where you get the bulk pizzas for your corporate lunch feed. I think the best pizza is found not at 'chains', but at the one off places. This was something I put together on another site in a thread called 'The Hitchhikers Guide to Really Good Pizza'. I thought I'd share. Maybe each of these places will get a vote? Dunno. But share I must...

Fire in the Belly in Lismore, New South Wales, Australa. The wood-fired pizza oven is a big red tile dragon and the pizza is awesome. Been a few years since I was in Lismore,but it seems to have the staying power.

The Burrow in Brisbane's West-End. Also with good beer and nice atmosphere! I'm a regular here to this day. They used to have this pizza called the Diana Ross that was an awesome Supreme.

Nico's Restaurant in Port Campbell, Victoria. No website so I linked Trip Advisor & FBook. Was down Port Campbell way on the Great Ocean Road a few years back, and Nico's was avoutn a block away from the caravan park.

Colle Rosso Italiano Ristorante makes a lovely thin crust pissa. They used to be really good, but now are good, as their pizza chef went to...

The Grove. Now they make the bestest thinnest crust pizza.

I would mention The Godfather Pizza near my house, but the Italian family that ran it when it was really good, sold it and went back to the 'old country'. The new owners are a lovely Indian family, but the cost-cutting started almost right away. I still get one from them once in awhie, mainly because Uber Eats delivers them, but they are inconsistant. You can have a really great one once, and a really crap one the next time. Missed the Italians and their consistantly great pizzas!

I'll suggest to everyone here to give the chains a pass and find your local independent pizza business and give them a try!

Thanks, Dunedain-Ranger!

When I compile the votes again I will list these on there and give 'em each a tally mark. And those who are Oz (heh heh...oz) with you now have a great list of places to check out. And yeah...chains deliver though! But independent often often better...for sure! Good rule of thumb, if a good independent one exists, go with that one.

As far as chains, I'm thinking about giving Dominos another chance next time though. How can so many people be wrong? Lo

Thanks again! Impressive list!!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Best pizza chain? *stirs controversy, grins*

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus