Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Best pizza chain? *stirs controversy, grins*

Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Selkieborn wrote:
FreeJayFly wrote:
Used to be a big fan of Papa John's but now I'm all about that Marco's pizza since I discovered it when I lived in Ohio. So thankful that I found a location that's close by when I moved back to Texas. For some reason, it's just so nostalgic to me.
we have a Marcos too. My hubby swears it’s bad, but I like it and they always have sales and never mess up our order. So I just order when my hubby is out of town.

Hmmm. Interesting. That's two people. It's funny that I have never seen it around. I must remember to look this place up when I am thinking about it instead of speed dialing Papa John's every time. Lol
Rogue-Scribe

Abigail_Austin wrote:
All the Quoted Text
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Hmm... This appears to be a Dominos/Pizza Hut popularity contest. Here in Oz, they are where you get the bulk pizzas for your corporate lunch feed. I think the best pizza is found not at 'chains', but at the one off places. This was something I put together on another site in a thread called 'The Hitchhikers Guide to Really Good Pizza'. I thought I'd share. Maybe each of these places will get a vote? Dunno. But share I must...

Fire in the Belly in Lismore, New South Wales, Australa. The wood-fired pizza oven is a big red tile dragon and the pizza is awesome. Been a few years since I was in Lismore,but it seems to have the staying power.

The Burrow in Brisbane's West-End. Also with good beer and nice atmosphere! I'm a regular here to this day. They used to have this pizza called the Diana Ross that was an awesome Supreme.

Nico's Restaurant in Port Campbell, Victoria. No website so I linked Trip Advisor & FBook. Was down Port Campbell way on the Great Ocean Road a few years back, and Nico's was avoutn a block away from the caravan park.

Colle Rosso Italiano Ristorante makes a lovely thin crust pissa. They used to be really good, but now are good, as their pizza chef went to...

The Grove. Now they make the bestest thinnest crust pizza.

I would mention The Godfather Pizza near my house, but the Italian family that ran it when it was really good, sold it and went back to the 'old country'. The new owners are a lovely Indian family, but the cost-cutting started almost right away. I still get one from them once in awhie, mainly because Uber Eats delivers them, but they are inconsistant. You can have a really great one once, and a really crap one the next time. Missed the Italians and their consistantly great pizzas!

I'll suggest to everyone here to give the chains a pass and find your local independent pizza business and give them a try!

Thanks, Dunedain-Ranger!

When I compile the votes again I will list these on there and give 'em each a tally mark. And those who are Oz (heh heh...oz) with you now have a great list of places to check out. And yeah...chains deliver though! But independent often often better...for sure! Good rule of thumb, if a good independent one exists, go with that one.

As far as chains, I'm thinking about giving Dominos another chance next time though. How can so many people be wrong? Lo

Thanks again! Impressive list!!

I had to post a pic of the Fire in the Belly Pizza Oven...

11_album.jpg

and I've been doing some looking around and there is a spinoff of Fire in teh Belly that operates in the Brisbane food truck circles with a mobile oven! I must seek them out.

And here, Uber Eats, Fedora, and Deliveroo are getti gpretty popular as they bring the food from many of these one-off businesses to your home. I've had mostly good service from Uber Eats.
Rogue-Scribe

The Mozzy sticks thread reminded me of this thread, and I had to add that now we have moved, a local storefront pizza takeaway shop near us called Vulcan Pizza is the bomb! It's only one shp, and they make the best thinnest of this crust pizzas I've ever had!

I also may start me a 'Hitchhiker's Guide to Really Good Pizza' thread since this is really a poll between two pizza chains.
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Shadow-Ranger wrote:
The Mozzy sticks thread reminded me of this thread, and I had to add that now we have moved, a local storefront pizza takeaway shop near us called Vulcan Pizza is the bomb! It's only one shp, and they make the best thinnest of this crust pizzas I've ever had!

I also may start me a 'Hitchhiker's Guide to Really Good Pizza' thread since this is really a poll between two pizza chains.

Right on. :) And I like your name for it. Perfect.

Long live pizza.
Ember_Wolf

"I've had 40 pizzas in the last 30 days, and it's not the same pizza."

Dominoes, actually, very good on weekends.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Pizza hut. Hmmmm meat lovers pizza 🍕.
Lumaslily

I usually get my pizza from Teresa because the other pizza places in my area suck. It depends on whether or not they have decent reviews on google.
We have a local pizza store, that's not really quite a chain but still exists in 3 different stores spread around the capital, so that one if it counts! They're probably some of the best I've ever had, if not the best, and you get every 10th pizza for free.

I tried Papa John's once, at motel somewhere around midnight, and I quite liked it! I also used to like Domino's, but they recently went bankrupt in my country because it went public that they had some nasty health violations. I hear they're opening up again, but I don't feel like it's worth the risk. I don't think I've tried Pizza Hut before, but I've passed by it several times on the highway in a neighboring country.
nightmqre

Papa Luigi's 100%.

They're extremely cheap, but their portions are enough for 1 pizza to serve at least 9 or 10 people. Not to mention their crust is always cooked to perfection, as well as the rest of the pizza. 1000/10 would recommend.
Rogue-Scribe

Penholder wrote:
We have a local pizza store, that's not really quite a chain but still exists in 3 different stores spread around the capital, so that one if it counts!
I'll add it to the Hitchhiker's Guide if you have the name of it. :)
StaticNightmares wrote:
Papa Luigi's 100%.

They're extremely cheap, but their portions are enough for 1 pizza to serve at least 9 or 10 people. Not to mention their crust is always cooked to perfection, as well as the rest of the pizza. 1000/10 would recommend.

I will add them to the Hitchhiker's Guide. :)
We have a local pizza place that is so underrated but so good...they hand make the dough per order so it’s not sitting around, and I’m pretty sure they locally source the vegetables and stuff like that, they’re great but as for chains, I have to drive about an hour to get to one so I don’t really eat theirs
Rogue-Scribe

LittleMouse wrote:
We have a local pizza place that is so underrated but so good...they hand make the dough per order so it’s not sitting around, and I’m pretty sure they locally source the vegetables and stuff like that, they’re great

What is the name of it? :)
There's this really good local place called Chuck Wagon Pizza and they're awesome! I'm pretty sure the dough is handmade right there and they load your pizza with toppings. And when I say load, they really load it, it's nearly impossible to pick up the slice to eat it and you need a fork it's that packed with topping. I've only been there once but it's soooo good!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Best pizza chain? *stirs controversy, grins*

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus