Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

"It seems so," Josh said to Jenks, then, looking at Tocs, he said, "I was too far away to see if anyone was bit, but that would be really interesting to see happen."
Rae chuckles at Nothan's imagination of a problem with the opening of gate. "Ah, but there are always other ways in and out of a city, I s'pose."

She turns to Galiena and Xepil. "Well, dae we gae after it t'night or wait until morning or next evening? There's always the fixin' o' the wall, an' a good night's sleep,... mebbe muster some help - no shame in stayin'... 'Course, ain't never no shame in puttin' a problem ta rest, neither..."
Xepil (played by MordosKull)

The Hobgoblin crossed his arms and closed his eyes looking deep in thought. "Hmm.. seems like a shame wasting a good opportunity like this to kill it good, grrr.." As Rae pointed out the hole it made, he rubbed his chin. "And yeah, the logistics are in our favor right now, grrr..."

"But it's true that we don't know how to kill it grrrr, and if the wilderness is that perilous we could drown or fall off a cliff before we even reach its lair, grrr."

"Guh.." He said finally. "I hate waiting... hmm, how about... we go.. in the morning! Grr!" Xepil said snapping his fingers. "Yeah, with any luck the beast will still be sleeping its injuries off AND it'll be easier to navigate during the day, grrr."

"Waddaya guys think? Grrr." He looked at the human and the dwarf.
The GM (played by Juls) Topic Starter

Jenks stood, quick to anger, particularly when he was well on his way to being drunk, "Didn't get close nuff?! Kid, when I says to scope out the newcomers, I don't mean from a mile away. What goods 'at? You no good slouch! You're just like Stein!"

Tocs smirked, always glad when their leader's ire was directed at someone else. "Oh... Poshy Joshy's in trooooouble!" he mocked.

Jenks strode toward the boy and pointed toward the door, his breath reeking of cheap alcohol... "Get back out there and don't bother comin' back til you got something useful!"

Nothan's mouth tensed slightly, Rae's suggestion putting him in a position to potentially outright defy the Jarl. "If you wish to leave, we can get you out, but cannot permit you to come back until after dawn," he replied carefully. "At least not without permission from the Jarl."

Galiena looked torn. "I'm no tracker or skilled woodsman," she said, uneasy about the idea of traversing the dangerous and unfamiliar terrain in the dark. "You think we really might kill it in its lair?"
Sighing, Josh walked back outside. Why can't I get a break?he thought to himself. Then he went beside a wall, sat down, and thought about a lot of different things.
"Oh, I dinnae mean yeh'd have t'get yerselves involved." Rae winks nonchalantly at Nothan before continuing on, "...But I wonder why nobody's found out a way t'keep that beast outside... hm, strange." Her voice begins to trail off as she considers the possibilities and observes the wall.

Suddenly, she turns round to the other two. "T'morrah mornin' then? If we take the description back to the others, maybe they'd have an idea how t'defeat this thing for good."

"The sacrifices seem to be the only way," Nothan answered, missing the dwarf's implications.

Galiena, though she would have gone with Rae and Xepil in search of the beast this night, looked slightly relieved as the dwarf agreed to wait until daybreak. If the nightwatch leader was to be believed, the beast would not present a danger again until the following night.

The trio make their way back toward the Wolf Spear (A3) and pass through the village square (A2). Though it is night time, they notice a locked strongbox that rests atop a short wooden post in the center of the square. A tattered banner displaying a sable wolf rampant hangs forlornly above the strongbox.

In the shadows of the chapel (A4) ahead, they might see Josh, barely visible, sitting against the wall of the building. And he would most certainly notice them... an armored woman, a dwarf, and a hobgoblin were certainly conspicuous.

Hirot Map - reposting for convenience
2bdslf.jpg

Quite sleepy now that the adrenaline has passed, Xepil isn't really paying much attention to his surroundings and is instead more focused on finding a bed to sleep.

The Hobgoblin yawns and tries to put his arms around Galiena and Rae in a pitiful attempt to charm them. "You guys wanna share a room? Safety in numbers, right? Grrhehe." He gave a toothy grin that was probably going to fall flat considering his fang like teeth.

rolled 1d20 and got 11
Charisma roll? lol

What a strange journey it had been.

Resting unnoticed atop a shelf bedecked with all manner of liquor, the young Nysphina Petalgleam observes the trio from above. She followed them into the Wolf Spear Inn, wordless. In thanks to her small stature shadowing the party had been mostly simple, though not without a bit of extra hiding on her behalf. The fae had heard tell of the troublesome beast plaguing the base of the Dragonbone mountains. Though cautioned against it, she could not be dissuaded from her thrill-seeking ways.

And so for days she had traveled with the party, stowed amongst the goods of the wagon where none would find her. Thus far the information she gathered proved useful enough. But it also proved this was no task for a lone fae.

Coming to stand, her wings spread, accidentally knocking an empty bottle of wine to the floor that shatters loudly into pieces.
"An' what d'yeh think yer doin'?" Rae inquires loudly as she hastily brushes Xepil's arm from her shoulder. "Laddie," she continues in a stern voice before eventually cracking ever so slightly at the complete absurdity of his idea, "Yeh best be glad ya done so well back there, or I'd be givin' yeh a thrashin' yeh would nae soon forget!" She shakes her head as she continues mumbling to herself.

As they make their way through the town center though, the strongbox catches her attention. "What d'ye reckon this is for? Strange thing t'have in the center of town, don'chyeh think?" She wanders over for a better look. "An' don'chyeh think it odd they kep' the wolf on the banner? Makes yeh wonder 'bout how this place even came t'be, don' it?"

((Welcome Peachcakes! If you haven't already, subscribe to the OOC thread too (linked in the first post). ))

"...his name was Ulfheonar. That's his wolf-spear here," Lloré, a young man of about 20 and Hirot’s sole bard and storyteller was telling Nightfrost, his latest audience and reached up to tap the spear hung above the bar. "... course this is just a replica. See it's made of wo..."

The bottle crashes down next to them and Lloré's eyes widen, momentarily concerned that somehow he'd caused it to fall by touching the spear before catching sight of Nysphina. "Hey!" he grabs ahold of Nightfrost's arm and points at the fae creature, having only ever heard of their existence in stories, but a moment later he grins. "Are you ok, pixie?" he asks her, wanting to ensure she had not hurt herself when the wine bottle shattered.

n5stb9.jpg

The strongbox is secured with a padlock. There's a slot in the top to allow something small to be inserted. (Such as paper or coins)

"Seems we're safe enough for tonight," Galiena said, ducking away from the hobgoblin's arm and went toward the strongbox that Rae was looking at. "Some kind of collection for the families that have lost someone, maybe?" she suggested. "I bet the tavern-keep would know."

Oof, 0 out of 2.

Xepil backed away from Rae and grinned helplessly, still intimidated by the dwarf even though he had just tried to hit on her. "Ey, come on! Grr! Ya can't blame a guy for trying, eh? Grrr!"

He huffed in annoyance, grumbling about not getting any reward for practically felling the beast by himself. But alas, such was his lot as a Hobgoblin he figured.

When the attention went to the strongbox he yawned again, keeping his hands to himself this time and rubbed the back of his neck. "Who the hell knows why humans do anything, grrr. You think we Hobs are bad? Grrrr. At least we don't spend half our time backstabbing each other for personal glory, I'm surprised there's any humans left the way they carry themselves, grrr. Er... no offense, lady Galiena, grrhehe..." Xepil's ears flattened and gave a fanged grin before looking around when he heard some glass shatter.
"Aye, or the lots for the sacrifice victims...," Rae refers to the strongbox while giving the thing a strong shake, "which'll pro'ly wind up bein' us tomorrow once that good-for-nothin' of a Jarl catches wind o' tonight's shenanigans. An' that's if we're lucky enough t'not find our heads on the end o' pikes at the gate." The dwarf's opinion of the leaders of this dump is certainly no higher than Xepil's opinion of the entire race. "I say, a nice, hot bath - alone," she glares in Xepil's direction, "Seems a befittin' end t'the day."

As Rae shakes the box, there is no clink of coins inside, but instead the soft swish of paper, lending weight to her theory. But she can feel there's something else in there too: one heavier object that clunks against the inside of the strongbox walls.
Rae shakes the box a few more times as she speaks. "D'yeh hear that?" she asks the other two. The thunking from inside piques her interest, and her sour mood toward the Jarl lends to thoughts of vandalism. Even with a bit a light, she doubts that she'd be able to see the object in question - surely it's at least partially obscured by the papers.... She glances about the square, and, sure enough, spies a person sitting along the wall of a building. Drat it all! "Ey! Kid!" she calls out, though hopefully not loud enough to disturb the entire neighborhood, "What're yeh doin' out 'ere? Donnae yah know there's a nasty beast runnin' 'bout?"

Unfortunately, her plans of trying to break into the box have to be put on hold for the time being. Maybe the kid or the innkeeper would know just what is in it. Expecting the hobgoblin to be a little more apt to vandalism than the cleric, she gives him a meaningful glance with a tilt of the head toward the strongbox.

"Okay! Okay! I geddit, grrr.." Xepil backed up as Rae glared at him when she mentioned she wanted to bathe alone.

The sullen Hobgoblin crossed his arms and looked to the side with pursed lips, muttering something about thinking that dwarves valued martial might, and how he was surprised she wasn't all over him after delivering the killing blow to the beast.

"Eh?" Unfortunately for everyone, Xepil is both highly unperceptive AND very prone to vandalism. Not only has he missed the whole thing with the box and how they could be onlookers nearby, when he sees Rae motioning to the box he's only too eager to comply.

"Oh yeah, I got it, grrr." He pulled out his wicked looking battle axe and aimed to break the padlock with a swing-- provided nobody stopped him.
Juls wrote:
((Welcome Peachcakes! If you haven't already, subscribe to the OOC thread too (linked in the first post). ))

"...his name was Ulfheonar. That's his wolf-spear here," Lloré, a young man of about 20 and Hirot’s sole bard and storyteller was telling Nightfrost, his latest audience and reached up to tap the spear hung above the bar. "... course this is just a replica. See it's made of wo..."

The bottle crashes down next to them and Lloré's eyes widen, momentarily concerned that somehow he'd caused it to fall by touching the spear before catching sight of Nysphina. "Hey!" he grabs ahold of Nightfrost's arm and points at the fae creature, having only ever heard of their existence in stories, but a moment later he grins. "Are you ok, pixie?" he asks her, wanting to ensure she had not hurt herself when the wine bottle shattered.

Though the crashing bottle is not so ear-piercing to the larger humanoids, the smaller ears of the fey take it harshly. Little Nysphina hisses through her teeth. The sound was unpleasant and certainly unexpected. How could she have been so careless? Soon enough she realizes her hurting ears are but a minor concern compared to the realization of being seen. Her tiny left hand curls into a taut fist, coming aglow with a cloud of shimmering dust. In one deft motion, she is prepared to launch a spray of dust into the eyes of those fixed on her―but she pauses.

"Are you ok, pixie?"

These mere four words confound her. Why was he concerned? Did he not want to grab her, stuff her into a choking jar, and away with his magical prize? The hand clutching sleep dust snakes behind her.

"I... I am just fine, thank you. I've endured worse than wine bottles." Hovering in the air, the fairy bows before him in a swift and almost dainty movement. "My name is Nysphina Petalgleam. I am an ambassador of the Petalgleam fae court! I've come on a diplomatic mission to learn about... " Her voice drops into a whisper. "The beast."

(EeveeMaster, just controlling Josh to keep things moving! I'll try to keep it minimal!)

Galiena looked to where Rae is facing, peering into the shadows near the chapel. The boy stands and looks about ready to flee, but Jenks did say to get more information about these people. So he takes a cautious step in their direction. "The beast won't come now that the sacrifices started," he said, not wishing to reveal that he'd witnessed them battling the beast. "What are you doing messin' with the lots?"

Meanwhile Xepil's axe breaks the padlock off the strongbox. Inside are many strips of vellum, each with the name of a citizen. The heavier object proves to be a second, smaller box inside the first. The smaller box has no lid and is currently empty, though it's not difficult to imagine that it is for keeping one name separated from the rest.

"Ah! The topic on everyone's minds these days!" Lloré states, excited to actually be speaking with a fairy! "You've come to the right man, miss Nysphina. Though, I must admit to have not seen it myself..." he looks somewhat disappointed by that admission. "Have you?"
"Ah, 's 'at..." Rae begins in response to the young man's question, but she is suddenly interrupted by a rather loud "ker-chnk" as Xepil's axe slams into the padlock. "NO! What're yeh doin'?" She whirls around and then continues in a hoarse whisper, "Not with 'im around! Now what're we s'posed ta do? I meant later." But it can't be taken back now. She turns back to the young man with an apologetic shrug, "We were curious what it was for. I figgered on askin', see, but it's a bit late for that now, huh? Think ya ken forget ya seen this?"

Their heads would be rolling for sure come morning; maybe it would be better to take their chances outside the walls tonight. Rae's mind races, but she keeps a calm and rather stern appearance as she addresses the kid.

Edit: Lol!

rolled 1d20 and got 5
To intimidate or persuade (however you want to look at it)

The Hobgoblin leans back when Rae whispers sternly at him. Xepil on the other hand makes no attempt to hide his intentions and responds in a rather loud voice. "And how was I supposed to know that by just lookin' at ya?? Grrr!"

He makes a dismissive motion at the kid, "Oh please, he won't say nothin', grrr. And besides, even if he did, ya think anyone here would like to mess with the guy that took down the Beast singlehandedly? Grrr!"

Xepil then made the typical strong man posses and flexed his arms to show off his scrawny biceps. "Yeah! Squeeze 'em, baby. They're real! Grrr!"

rolled 1d20 and got 10
Further intimidation?

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus