Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Xepil (played by MordosKull)

Oof, 0 out of 2.

Xepil backed away from Rae and grinned helplessly, still intimidated by the dwarf even though he had just tried to hit on her. "Ey, come on! Grr! Ya can't blame a guy for trying, eh? Grrr!"

He huffed in annoyance, grumbling about not getting any reward for practically felling the beast by himself. But alas, such was his lot as a Hobgoblin he figured.

When the attention went to the strongbox he yawned again, keeping his hands to himself this time and rubbed the back of his neck. "Who the hell knows why humans do anything, grrr. You think we Hobs are bad? Grrrr. At least we don't spend half our time backstabbing each other for personal glory, I'm surprised there's any humans left the way they carry themselves, grrr. Er... no offense, lady Galiena, grrhehe..." Xepil's ears flattened and gave a fanged grin before looking around when he heard some glass shatter.
"Aye, or the lots for the sacrifice victims...," Rae refers to the strongbox while giving the thing a strong shake, "which'll pro'ly wind up bein' us tomorrow once that good-for-nothin' of a Jarl catches wind o' tonight's shenanigans. An' that's if we're lucky enough t'not find our heads on the end o' pikes at the gate." The dwarf's opinion of the leaders of this dump is certainly no higher than Xepil's opinion of the entire race. "I say, a nice, hot bath - alone," she glares in Xepil's direction, "Seems a befittin' end t'the day."
The GM (played by Juls) Topic Starter

As Rae shakes the box, there is no clink of coins inside, but instead the soft swish of paper, lending weight to her theory. But she can feel there's something else in there too: one heavier object that clunks against the inside of the strongbox walls.
Rae shakes the box a few more times as she speaks. "D'yeh hear that?" she asks the other two. The thunking from inside piques her interest, and her sour mood toward the Jarl lends to thoughts of vandalism. Even with a bit a light, she doubts that she'd be able to see the object in question - surely it's at least partially obscured by the papers.... She glances about the square, and, sure enough, spies a person sitting along the wall of a building. Drat it all! "Ey! Kid!" she calls out, though hopefully not loud enough to disturb the entire neighborhood, "What're yeh doin' out 'ere? Donnae yah know there's a nasty beast runnin' 'bout?"

Unfortunately, her plans of trying to break into the box have to be put on hold for the time being. Maybe the kid or the innkeeper would know just what is in it. Expecting the hobgoblin to be a little more apt to vandalism than the cleric, she gives him a meaningful glance with a tilt of the head toward the strongbox.

"Okay! Okay! I geddit, grrr.." Xepil backed up as Rae glared at him when she mentioned she wanted to bathe alone.

The sullen Hobgoblin crossed his arms and looked to the side with pursed lips, muttering something about thinking that dwarves valued martial might, and how he was surprised she wasn't all over him after delivering the killing blow to the beast.

"Eh?" Unfortunately for everyone, Xepil is both highly unperceptive AND very prone to vandalism. Not only has he missed the whole thing with the box and how they could be onlookers nearby, when he sees Rae motioning to the box he's only too eager to comply.

"Oh yeah, I got it, grrr." He pulled out his wicked looking battle axe and aimed to break the padlock with a swing-- provided nobody stopped him.
Juls wrote:
((Welcome Peachcakes! If you haven't already, subscribe to the OOC thread too (linked in the first post). ))

"...his name was Ulfheonar. That's his wolf-spear here," Lloré, a young man of about 20 and Hirot’s sole bard and storyteller was telling Nightfrost, his latest audience and reached up to tap the spear hung above the bar. "... course this is just a replica. See it's made of wo..."

The bottle crashes down next to them and Lloré's eyes widen, momentarily concerned that somehow he'd caused it to fall by touching the spear before catching sight of Nysphina. "Hey!" he grabs ahold of Nightfrost's arm and points at the fae creature, having only ever heard of their existence in stories, but a moment later he grins. "Are you ok, pixie?" he asks her, wanting to ensure she had not hurt herself when the wine bottle shattered.

Though the crashing bottle is not so ear-piercing to the larger humanoids, the smaller ears of the fey take it harshly. Little Nysphina hisses through her teeth. The sound was unpleasant and certainly unexpected. How could she have been so careless? Soon enough she realizes her hurting ears are but a minor concern compared to the realization of being seen. Her tiny left hand curls into a taut fist, coming aglow with a cloud of shimmering dust. In one deft motion, she is prepared to launch a spray of dust into the eyes of those fixed on her―but she pauses.

"Are you ok, pixie?"

These mere four words confound her. Why was he concerned? Did he not want to grab her, stuff her into a choking jar, and away with his magical prize? The hand clutching sleep dust snakes behind her.

"I... I am just fine, thank you. I've endured worse than wine bottles." Hovering in the air, the fairy bows before him in a swift and almost dainty movement. "My name is Nysphina Petalgleam. I am an ambassador of the Petalgleam fae court! I've come on a diplomatic mission to learn about... " Her voice drops into a whisper. "The beast."

(EeveeMaster, just controlling Josh to keep things moving! I'll try to keep it minimal!)

Galiena looked to where Rae is facing, peering into the shadows near the chapel. The boy stands and looks about ready to flee, but Jenks did say to get more information about these people. So he takes a cautious step in their direction. "The beast won't come now that the sacrifices started," he said, not wishing to reveal that he'd witnessed them battling the beast. "What are you doing messin' with the lots?"

Meanwhile Xepil's axe breaks the padlock off the strongbox. Inside are many strips of vellum, each with the name of a citizen. The heavier object proves to be a second, smaller box inside the first. The smaller box has no lid and is currently empty, though it's not difficult to imagine that it is for keeping one name separated from the rest.

"Ah! The topic on everyone's minds these days!" Lloré states, excited to actually be speaking with a fairy! "You've come to the right man, miss Nysphina. Though, I must admit to have not seen it myself..." he looks somewhat disappointed by that admission. "Have you?"
"Ah, 's 'at..." Rae begins in response to the young man's question, but she is suddenly interrupted by a rather loud "ker-chnk" as Xepil's axe slams into the padlock. "NO! What're yeh doin'?" She whirls around and then continues in a hoarse whisper, "Not with 'im around! Now what're we s'posed ta do? I meant later." But it can't be taken back now. She turns back to the young man with an apologetic shrug, "We were curious what it was for. I figgered on askin', see, but it's a bit late for that now, huh? Think ya ken forget ya seen this?"

Their heads would be rolling for sure come morning; maybe it would be better to take their chances outside the walls tonight. Rae's mind races, but she keeps a calm and rather stern appearance as she addresses the kid.

Edit: Lol!

rolled 1d20 and got 5
To intimidate or persuade (however you want to look at it)

The Hobgoblin leans back when Rae whispers sternly at him. Xepil on the other hand makes no attempt to hide his intentions and responds in a rather loud voice. "And how was I supposed to know that by just lookin' at ya?? Grrr!"

He makes a dismissive motion at the kid, "Oh please, he won't say nothin', grrr. And besides, even if he did, ya think anyone here would like to mess with the guy that took down the Beast singlehandedly? Grrr!"

Xepil then made the typical strong man posses and flexed his arms to show off his scrawny biceps. "Yeah! Squeeze 'em, baby. They're real! Grrr!"

rolled 1d20 and got 10
Further intimidation?

What an opportunity that had just landed in his lap! Adventurers indebted to him!

Things had been pretty rotten here since Kej, Stein, & Ilham had gone missing and the beast had come. They'd promised him they'd come back and get him before they headed south with their treasure from the tomb. Maybe they'd simply abandoned him, not wishing a confrontation with Jenks, but Josh didn't want to believe that.

"I can maybe forget it..." he started, stepping forward a little toward Rae and Galiena despite the rather frightening hobgoblin nearby. "... if I can come with you when you leave here."

Galiena's expression softened toward the boy, wondering if perhaps he'd been made an orphan by the beast. "Of course!" she blurted out before giving it any serious consideration.
Juls wrote:
"Ah! The topic on everyone's minds these days!" Lloré states, excited to actually be speaking with a fairy! "You've come to the right man, miss Nysphina. Though, I must admit to have not seen it myself..." he looks somewhat disappointed by that admission. "Have you?"

The fairy shakes her head, a frown at her lips as her shoulders slump lowly. "I'm afraid not. But that is soon to change." With fluttering wings does she hover her way to Llore, seating herself atop his shoulder if permitted. "My people have a sort of... connection with all manner of beasts and creatures. An inherent one throughout us all. I was pondering the idea of showing myself to lure it. In my experience, darker beings such as this one are all too eager to devour me and my magic. But I highly doubt that is to happen this time!"
Rae can't keep from rolling her eyes at Xepil's obnoxious attempt at showing off. And her reaction to the kid is not nearly as positive as Galiena's. She realizes, however, that their choices are rather limited at the moment.

She narrows her eyes as she gives him a once-over. "Got a name, then?" she demands, "And ken ya tell us anythin' 'bout the hound an' these lots?"

Something about the whole incident with the hound just isn't sitting right with Rae, but she can't quite figure out what. A good, stout drink might help her think more clearly, and the broken padlock wouldn't likely be discovered until morning... Without really waiting for the boy to answer, she continues, "C'mon, let's gae think this through over a drink or two." She pulls the cleric around to face away from the kid while quietly mentioning, "I wonder if those parchments really include everyone's names..."

"Aww hell no! Grrr!" Xepil exclaims as he clutches his head. "Now we're stuck baby sitting human pups!? Grrr! This is some grade A orc shit! Grrr!"

The Hob gives a dismissive motion and keeps walking regardless. He's not okay with the decision but he's not going to contest it either.

"Really?" the youth looks surprised that the human woman agreed so easily and gives Galiena and Rae a genuine smile before wiping it back off his face to play it "cool".

"Josh," he says to the dwarf's first question, then shrugs to her second about the beast and the lots and looks down at the ground for a moment, then looks at the Wolf Spear Inn, then back to the ground, then at the lock-box. Was he hiding something or simply never been taught manners? "The Jarl's been doin' the lots for the last month or so. Every three days he puts on a blindfold and picks somebody's name outta there. Ol' Beacom reads it out."

Galiena raises a brow to Rae's speculation as she gestures the boy to follow along with them, walking after Xepil into the Wolf Spear. "Doubtful," she says. "I can't imagine his own name or that of one of his thegns being drawn."

Lloré looks suitably impressed by the fairy's bravery and her willingness to use herself as bait for the hound, though shakes his head. "Doesn't seem to be a problem getting it to Hirot. But keeping it from coming back. Ulfheonar knew... "

He looks up as the adventurers return, eyes widening as he sees the Hobgoblin and the blood on the dwarf. "Looks like these fine folks have lived to tell the tale!"
The night was nearly starless, and the nasty region had required all of his attention - John didn't want to fall right into an ambush, having all of his belongings in his backpack for now.
Since he had fled the tower, he felt like his best opportunity to restore his family's honour was to gain in experience first - and had left for the hostile region of Hirot, where he hoped to find challenge and a small town, safe from bandits but too small to interest the Templars who were still searching for him.
And there he was, a hundred meters away from one of the minor gates - at least he hoped it was minor since it looked old and unlikely any good against battering rams. As he advanced, the town's rare soldiers became visible.
"Would you mind opening that gate? Camping out here is pretty uncomfortable. And may you explain me why is it locked? I can't think of anyone who would attack.", he told the guards before they could ask him anything, hoping the mage robe and staff wouldn't make him look suspicious.

rolled 1d6 and got a natural 3. After the modifier of +1, got 4
Charisma roll?

((Welcome John! Mind doing another roll with a d20 instead of a d6? :) ))
(Thank you! I'll try another roll, sorry for the confusion)

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 10. After the modifier of +1, got 11
Charisma roll

Naven was back to guarding the gate, alone this time since Mocle had been injured in the fight against the beast. With little fear that the hound would return this night, he'd let his mind wander while warming his hands at the small brazier and didn't notice John walking up to the gate.

"Would you mind opening that gate? Camping out here is pretty uncomfortable. And may you explain me why is it locked? I can't think of anyone who would attack."

Naven swore beneath his breath that he hadn't been paying attention, then looked down from the platform at the robed figure below. "You with that trader?" he asked, wondering how one of them had gotten outside the gate.
"No sir, I do not travel with this merchant but on my own. I have a magical staff and iron dagger with me, but no other weapons. Can I get in?"
John hoped he wouldn't have to go through the whole process of showing his bags entire content, as it would be a waste of time. He knew this town had other rules about magic, and that the Templars wouldn't spread the news of a couple mages on the run since it would give them a bad reputation. Since the guards didn't raise their weapon nor tell him to stop, he continued advancing towards the gate.

"It is under the Jarl's direct orders the gate not be opened until daybreak, traveler," Naven said, looking down over the wall at the approaching man, one hand on the horn that hung around his torso in case he should need to call for aid.

"If it is not an emergency, I would not advise waking him," the guard continued. "But there should be no further attacks by the beast this night."

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus