Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Do you call it "dressing" or "stuffing?"

Yeah, me too, hahah :D
*raises their hand* My family calls it dressing where I live. A lot of people call it dressing here, actually. Yes, yes, I know: dressing = salads and stuffing = whatever goes into a turkey for some people, but uh... Tell my whole family that one.

I still don't get what the big deal is though; as long as there's a basic understanding about what you want at the dinner table, should it really matter what it's called? If you said stuffing to me, I understand that you mean dressing, and vice versa. Besides... It's food. But I will admit that this is my neutral opinion talking over anything else.

As a side note: my family also cooks dressing and absolutely none of it goes into the turkey. It's always a side dish in its own pan. Weird, huh?
LightSide-Lucree wrote:
As a side note: my family also cooks dressing and none of it goes into the turkey. It's always a side dish in its own pan.
My friends and family do both. Or either/or. Just depends on the whim of the chef.
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

LightSide-Lucree wrote:
*blushes as they raise their hand* My family calls it dressing where I live. A lot of people call it dressing here, actually. Yes, yes, I know: dressing = salads and stuffing = whatever goes into a turkey for some people, but tell my family that.

I still don't get what the big deal is though; as long as there's a basic understanding about what you're asking for, should it matter what it's called? If you said stuffing to me, I understand you mean dressing, and vice versa. But I could be wrong. Besides... It's food. Food is good.

As a side note: my family also cooks dressing and none of it goes into the turkey. It's always a side dish in its own pan.

Yayyyy!!!!! *does a happy dance* Finally! Haha. Thank you!

You're right, it's totally not a big deal at all, but for some reason I've become obsessed with asking people this question lately. Lol. Ever since I said, "my favorite Thanksgiving food is dressing," and a friend of mine from another state answered, "What's dressing?" I've made it into a way bigger thing than it deserves to be, but I do that with a lot of little things like this. lol.

And yep, us too, we usually cook it as a side dish too!
Abigail_Austin wrote:
LightSide-Lucree wrote:
*blushes as they raise their hand* My family calls it dressing where I live. A lot of people call it dressing here, actually. Yes, yes, I know: dressing = salads and stuffing = whatever goes into a turkey for some people, but tell my family that.

I still don't get what the big deal is though; as long as there's a basic understanding about what you're asking for, should it matter what it's called? If you said stuffing to me, I understand you mean dressing, and vice versa. But I could be wrong. Besides... It's food. Food is good.

You're right, it's totally not a big deal at all, but for some reason I've become obsessed with asking people this question lately. Lol. Ever since I said, "my favorite Thanksgiving food is dressing," and a friend of mine from another state answered, "What's dressing?" I've made it into a way bigger thing than it deserves to be, but I do that with a lot of little things like this. lol.

I know, right? I kinda felt awkward looking through this and falling in that minority, but I raised my hand anyway. XD

Oh no, it's fine! My neutral-ish opinion likes to come out every so often and fuss, but it is a really good question! I know a friend or two who calls it stuffing, and I used to call it just dressing when I was younger. Nowadays, I usually go back and forth between the two, but my folks still use it every time Thanksgiving shows up.

But on the subject on word usage between regions, I have noticed that in my own state (in the South), we do use the word dressing a lot... Or at least, that's what I've noticed down here.

LightSide-Lucree wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
LightSide-Lucree wrote:

I know, right? I kinda felt awkward looking through this and falling in that minority, but I raised my hand anyway. XD

Oh no, it's fine! My neutral-ish opinion likes to come out every so often and fuss, but it is a really good question! I know a friend or two who calls it stuffing, and I used to call it just dressing when I was younger. Nowadays, I usually go back and forth between the two, but my folks still use it every time Thanksgiving shows up.

But on the subject on word usage between regions, I have noticed that in my own state (in the South), we do use the word dressing a lot... Or at least, that's what I've noticed down here.

:)

I appreciate everyone's answers on here and always...on everything, but I'm especially glad that you answered this because I was beginning to feel like I was in an alternate reality where no one calls it dressing! *Twilight Zone Theme* So thanks and *high-five!* Good for you! :) And happy turkey day to all.
Stuffing. Whether it's in the bird or not. I also don't like it. I can't stand mushy bread unless it's fried and being dipped in soup or something.
That's fair, I like it myself but can typically can only eat it in small amounts.
I am very confused, because these are two absolutely different things???

Stuffing goes inside the turkey (or in my family, is heated up from a box and we just eat it like animals lol) while Dressing is something like a salad vinaigrette / ranch, gravy, or other such things that are poured onto a dish / meal.

Like... I had no clue that people used these interchangeably?????

Learn something new every day

damnationfromafar wrote:
Stuffing. Whether it's in the bird or not. I also don't like it. I can't stand mushy bread unless it's fried and being dipped in soup or something.

I can relate, I don't USUALLY like mushy things that much either.

Btw I like your new icon picture Damnation. That's cute!

DarkCrow wrote:
I am very confused, because these are two absolutely different things???

Stuffing goes inside the turkey (or in my family, is heated up from a box and we just eat it like animals lol) while Dressing is something like a salad vinaigrette / ranch, gravy, or other such things that are poured onto a dish / meal.

Like... I had no clue that people used these interchangeably?????

Learn something new every day

Well...when using the word "dressing" to mean "stuffing" it's not meaning the stuff like ranch or vinaigrette or thousand island that you put on salad...which I call dressing also...but that's a different kind of dressing.

The word "dressing" that means the stuff you put with turkey and the word "dressing" that means the stuff you put on a salad are homonyms. They are two separate words that are spelled the same and are pronounced the same way but mean two different things.

And for me (though not for most people!) the words "stuffing" and "dressing" are synonyms...they are different words but mean the same thing (for me)...but only when the word "dressing" is used to mean the cornbread stuff and not when the word "dressing" is used to mean the salad stuff.

I probably made that seem more complicated than I needed to but I hope that made sense!
Abigail_Austin wrote:
damnationfromafar wrote:

I can relate, I don't USUALLY like mushy things that much either.

Btw I like your new icon picture Damnation. That's cute!
Heheh, that is cute, isn't it?

Also no, what you said about homonyms is absolutely correct, though I don't think technically that a homonym has to be spelled the same, just sound the same. That's semantics though and you got the essence of the meaning. ^_^

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Do you call it "dressing" or "stuffing?"

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus