Skip to main content

Forums » Help » IMPORTANT: 'Zombie Character'

Good morning, RPRians.

On the off chance you don't frequent social media outlets where Kim posts for the RPR, here is a small informational update regarding something you've probably seen after our server kerpluy:
The Roleplay Repository Facebook page wrote:
If your account just adopted a "Zombie Character", this is a placeholder for a lost profile. It should let you get back into your private messages and groups you were participating in with that character. You may choose to delete the character or rebuild.

For those of you who know that I like to crack necromancy jokes whenever I have to lock a thread on the forum, I can safely say this is the first time I will tolerate necromancy. ;3

But seriously, in case you were wondering why you or a friend now has a zombie to take care of, there's your explanation!
Sanne Moderator

Thanks for letting us know! :)
BUT WE CANT GET THEM BACK!?!?!
Why were they deleted? Did they break some rule what the hell did my characters get deleted for I worked hard on those those are like well honestly I don’t know how to describe what they meant to me but it was a great deal I’m not even sure if it was only the two who seem to be missing the least you could have done was tell us that we’re breaking some rule and let us back it up before you destroy that work I worked hard on those I don’t care if there not real there real enough to me and there my work I have no backups I have no way to recover them
I’m sorry I’m coming off as rude and I understand now what is happening but I need a way to recover the characters information what I wrote there was sso very important to me and I know maybe no one understands that but I need it back those were so important to me if there is anyway I can be helped I know people are busy and I’m patient but I just don’t know what to do.
Hey there jpdelta, there is no disagreement that what happened is super stressful. It's not from something anyone did wrong, though, and that's not at all the way Kim or the mods handle issues here. There's a posting about what happened here: https://www.rprepository.com/community/newspost.php?post=651

Edit: Kim has been doing her best to help recover characters, and sending a bug report with what info you can gather (name, a link of you can find one, etc) might hep salvage at least some of them. A lot of it depends on how old they are. But I think that some characters are frustratingly unsalvageable. In that case, the best course of action is to sit down and focus once you are able to calm down (again, this is a horrible situation and it's completely normal to be upset!) to try to remember what you had as best as you can, and maybe talk things over with rp partners or friends who might be able to help.
I read that but it days how to get back to forums I lost not characters themselves
jpdelta wrote:
I read that but it days how to get back to forums I lost not characters themselves
Lost forums...? Do you mean PMs you got disconnected from? Because all topics and posts should have been restored, but lingering character weirdness means some people can't access some of their messages.
No the actual character profiles the bios the writing we put there?
Okay, I think I've just misread what you've said, but understand now.

To my understanding, the data still missing from "zombie" character profiles - the bios and all that - is unfortunately permanently lost. I'm not sure if you noticed I edited a prior post, but to reiterate, probably the best you can do is sit down after you've had your time to grieve and try to remember as much as you can. RP partners or friends you've discussed the character with might be able to help you remember some of it, too.

I'm so sorry for you and all the others who have permanently lost character info. :(
Novalyyn wrote:
Okay, I think I've just misread what you've said, but understand now.

To my understanding, the data still missing from "zombie" character profiles - the bios and all that - is unfortunately permanently lost. I'm not sure if you noticed I edited a prior post, but to reiterate, probably the best you can do is sit down after you've had your time to grieve and try to remember as much as you can. RP partners or friends you've discussed the character with might be able to help you remember some of it, too.

I'm so sorry for you and all the others who have permanently lost character info. :(

Ok thanks I’m again sorry for being annoying.
Copper_Dragon Topic Starter

Good evening! I'm so sorry for my belated response to this thread, but I just got home from my work shift. Please bear with me as I am typing with a half sleepy brain. <3

@jpdelta, I absolutely understand your initial panic and frustration over the loss of your characters; and I'd like to take this time to assure you that you are not being an annoyance in voicing that frustration. I'd also like to apologize for the loss of your data--as Novalyyn correctly pointed out, that missing data is permanent, despite Kim's best efforts to restore it.
I gotta say I love how "on top" of things the brass is around here.

Also....I thought for a second "oh no, this place doesn't allow Zombie characters?" Or "Are the undead frowned upon?" Because I was honestly thinking of making a zombie character like....five seconds before finding this thread.

Anwyas....kudos.
Rogue-Scribe

I want to take a moment to suggest that if you have characters that you love and spent a lot of time and effort creating, be sure to use the 'Print Character Page' feature in the character edit screen to create a back-up file. You can save the whole profile including journals guestbooks, and photo galleries. I use it for character back-ups by activating it, cancelling the printer window, copying the generated page content (Ctrl A & Ctrl C) and pasting it to a new blank Word document, give it the character name, and saving it in a 'Characters' folder on my external hard drive.

I was fortunate to have done this with most of my characters back in November last year and was going through and backing up my new characters created since then, and thought the Zombie thread would be a good place to share the idea. :)

You are on: Forums » Help » IMPORTANT: 'Zombie Character'

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus