Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Late night thought...

I was pondering about the process of paging my numerous alts and whatnot, thinking whether or not I truly wanted to bother with those I used very little. And then it dawned on me- what if I trade or sell the character away? In the past websites were easy to give away because you just gave them the login info. Clearly, that's a no-go here.

So I'm here to bend your poor minds with the notion of being able to transfer characters between players.

OR to find out that it's already possible and that I'm a retard XD
Kim Site Admin

This comes up periodically and we've had several very spirited discussions about it. One such thread is here: http://www.rprepository.com/community/forumthread.php?t=451

But I'll paste the meat of my response from that thread here as a quick summary for my concerns about this.

Kim wrote:
Here's the catch: We're a social site. Transferring a character transfers all of the connections it has, all of its group memberships, all of the private messages addressed to that character. If you are a group owner, perhaps you approved an application for that character to join based on the RP style of the original owner, and the new player is not someone you would have approved. Perhaps you don't like - or just don't know - the new player, and are uncomfortable with them getting notifications about all the stuff you're doing.

The most potentially creepy thing to me is that because characters can be listed as anonymous, you could carry on an entire conversation with someone, get to know and trust them, and continue talking as if that was the person you liked and trusted without knowing it was a whole new person behind that character.

We can set it up so that a transferred character loses all of its friends and group memberships, but it still leaves some hanging questions about the other social implications. Currently, I haven't found a good way to get around these issues.

It does also create problems of people feeling they were scammed or deciding they don't like the way the new owner is playing their character and using support to try and get their character returned, which is a whole other issue entirely and one that would need to be looked at separately.
I think in something like this, (just putting my two cents in), as ardous as the process is I think it'd be better just to copy down the information (copy-paste <3), put it in a word document and email it to the new owner of the character. Then they have all the information and pictures (you can put them as attachments), and if they want to make a site then they can do it on their own account. Maybe it won't be the same template, but it will still have all the info and whatnot. If it's a character here on RP, then you can delete the character from your account and the new owner can create the character on theirs.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Late night thought...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus