Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Tea on my laptop!

I spilled a small amount of tea on the lower right part of the keyboard on my laptop. I disconnected the power source, turned it off asap, wiped it as dry as possible and turned it upside down unfolded.

Is there anything else I can do, and what's the verdict? Dare I turn it back on, and when?

Just for the record: It was still running smoothly when I hit the off-button.
If you're sure you've pretty much gotten any out, it might be good to wait a few hours to be totally sure it's dry, and then I figure there's a good chance all is fine if it was still fine when you turned it off. They try not to make things too easy to ruin so easily, but it does really depend on what got wet and if that caused anything before you turned it off.
give it a few hours muh dude!

Then give it a test on. IT sounds like you might be okay tho, but make saure its really really dry before that button gets pressed
Banshee Topic Starter

I placed it next to a radiator. I'll have it turned off until tomorrow and give it a test run then.
Was there any sugar content in the tea?
Furthermore, depending on the laptop, the keyboard is going to be in a housing directly separate from the rest of the computer and the errors you might get could be from the liquid making the keyboard goof. However it's better to be safe than sorry because this isn't always the case.

If the tea had sugar in it, then you're going to have some residue. If possible, I'd open the computer up after you've let it dry entirely, then identify and clean the residue up with rubbing alcohol and something relatively soft

Oh and if you've got it next to something warm, the evaporation process is going to a lot faster than normal. An hour or two should be more than enough. Always check visually of course.

(As an extension to this already wall of text, I've spilled liquid on my stuff a few more times than I would like to admit. However, all of it functions properly still and I don't have any issues)
Oh my goodness! I did the same thing a few years ago with a glass of chardonnay. You may also want to remove your keys if possible and clean under them with a Q-tip to make sure nothing gets too sticky. I ended up having a dead "P" key on that laptop for the rest of its days :(
Banshee Topic Starter

I had just a little bit of honey in it, I doubt there will be much sticky residue. As for removing the keys; I read laptop keys are fragile and hard to reattach so I'm sorta scared to do so...

Thank you all, for the advice you've given me. ❤
Oh yeah laptop keys can be hella fragile.

Although, check over at here for keyboard disassembly instructions for your laptop.

Generally just Google "(make) (model) keyboard disassembly ifixit"
red-veins

would not recommend disassembling the keyboard if you're inexperienced. easy to jack up the mechanisms if you're not careful. :'U

alternative to removing your keyboard keys would be to use a can of compressed air to get under the keys. as others said, Q-tips with rubbing alcohol should remove any stickiness, and for best results you should keep your laptop upside down for at least 24 hours. i wouldn't plug anything in to it right now, usb or otherwise.

don't think there should be any damage done because of how little was spilled, buuut for best case scenario i'd leave it off for the rest of the day (night?) just in case.
Banshee Topic Starter

It's working!

Thank you all for the advice. I've been a member for more than two years now, but it keeps blowing my mind over and over again how kind and supportive this community really is.

You guy are great. <3

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Tea on my laptop!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus