Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What is with high heels?

MasterWinter

When I look at different images of female character's, from almost anywhere, I get really excited with how cool they look. That is...until I look down at their foot ware.

High. Heels. WHY?!

Why is it a character for almost any genre, or type of rp, a female has to be put in high heels?

Like this one for example from Pinterest: Human Gunslinger/Fighter

Or this gunslinging cowgirl from Pinterest: Cowgirl

Or even this one from Pinterest: Female Pirate

I mean some type of heel is okay in my opinion. But not a high heel. I don't honestly see how a female could actually go about doing things, in high heels. Especially if running of any kind is involved. I just don't really get why instead of putting someone in a normal pair of boots, they have to make them in high heels.
Aesthetics. The body form, especially the leg, is forced into a more "pleasing" shape.

As someone who has actually run pretty decently in (thick) high heels before... yeah, it's a pretty tiresome thing to see constantly. Even with strong ankles and excellent balance, heels will still slow you down and still increase the risk of falling.

I don't want to completely get rid of it. In some cases, rule of cool should win out. Heels can also have function, like helping to keep a foothold in stirrups or (more on the side of "rule of cool") being used as a "hidden" weapon. Could do with fewer and lots of shorter heels, though.

Just don't judge me when I decide to wear them myself. XD
MasterWinter Topic Starter

Novalyyn wrote:
All quoted text here
Aesthetics. The body form, especially the leg, is forced into a more "pleasing" shape.

As someone who has actually run pretty decently in (thick) high heels before... yeah, it's a pretty tiresome thing to see constantly. Even with strong ankles and excellent balance, heels will still slow you down and still increase the risk of falling.

I don't want to completely get rid of it. In some cases, rule of cool should win out. Heels can also have function, like helping to keep a foothold in stirrups or (more on the side of "rule of cool") being used as a "hidden" weapon. Could do with fewer and lots of shorter heels, though.

Just don't judge me when I decide to wear them myself. XD

Firstly: No worries on my end about you wearing them. I've never been one for high heels personally.

Secondly: Alright. I can somewhat see some of the points you did make. Like the hidden weapon. I honestly hadn't thought about that.

But also you are right about the whole body form part. It's like: Look at me! I'm female even if I'm a deadly fighter, but I'm sexy while doing it! Least that is what it seems like to me. I just am not fond of seeing high heels on characters when I know it is most likely difficult for them to wear.
No disagreement. XD It's a bit like how "the most common superpower" is women having giant, gravity-defying boobs. Even though a lot of exercise usually (not always) actually shrinks down breast sizes because the muscles soak up the fat for energy and it's just... generally more difficult to maintain fat stores if you're out being a highly physically active badass all the time.

Novalyyn wrote:
No disagreement. XD It's a bit like how "the most common superpower" is women having giant, gravity-defying boobs. Even though a lot of exercise usually (not always) actually shrinks down breast sizes because the muscles soak up the fat for energy and it's just... generally more difficult to maintain fat stores if you're out being a highly physically active badass all the time.

I know, right?! How the heck can women have those unrealistically large boobs, and do anything? I've been told in rl if women have a certain size, then they end up with back issues. You can't tell me that someone who has those massive boobs don't have back pain. Oh, wait. They will say that it's all not real, so that's why they can get away with it. -eye roll-
I HATE heels and never wear them, especially since it's a terrible idea with my bad ankles. I also rarely put my characters in heels when I use dollmakers because I hate heels that much. Whoever came up with them should have been forced to wear them 24/7. X.X

Though no it's not heels, or gravity defying boobs that are the most common "superpower." What it really is is being sexy so all the men can ogle them. You can sometimes find character that are not in heels, or have a more realistic chest, but they are still probably going to be cute enough to be a waifu.

Also as the unfortunate owner of a pair of very large double D breasts, yes you get back pain and big boobs are thus overrated. It's why I give all my female character a nice medium chest size. Not too small, not too big.
Sanne Moderator

As a heel lover, I hate this phenomenon. It's a byproduct of the oversexualization of women in entertainment, since most of them (fictional I mean) are created and designed by men who only approve of a female character if she's the perfect frame with the right hip tilt and the best angle to show her chest. Heels are only one symptom of this lol. You're spot on though, it's irritating and unrealistic as heck.

Edit: There's a name for this and there are great examples of how female characters are always drawn a certain way to highlight their sexual appeal while male characters are always drawn to exhibit power and strength. It's not about the muscles or the slenderness of their body, but the poses specifically. I can't find the page that detailed this which is a bummer, it is pretty informative and eye opening!
I don't mind wearing them from time to time. I have boots on a lot and it's nice to feel feminine on my off time or if I'm going out on a date. Sometimes they're practical like if you're riding a horse (need them for the stirrup) or if you're going to a formal interview. Yeah, they're meant to put the leg in an aesthetically pleasing shape, but being aesthetically pleasing in an interview isn't always a bad thing.

But yeah, they're hard to do kung-fu in and while I can run in them, they slow me down. Easier to roll your ankle if you move too fast. Good for stomping on someone's foot with if they're stiletto heels because they work, well, like stilettos. Mostly they're used as a sexualization image.

Katia wrote:
All quoted text here
I HATE heels and never wear them, especially since it's a terrible idea with my bad ankles. I also rarely put my characters in heels when I use dollmakers because I hate heels that much. Whoever came up with them should have been forced to wear them 24/7. X.X

Though no it's not heels, or gravity defying boobs that are the most common "superpower." What it really is is being sexy so all the men can ogle them. You can sometimes find character that are not in heels, or have a more realistic chest, but they are still probably going to be cute enough to be a waifu.

Also as the unfortunate owner of a pair of very large double D breasts, yes you get back pain and big boobs are thus overrated. It's why I give all my female character a nice medium chest size. Not too small, not too big.

From my understanding: High heels were invented for men to wear. By who or when in history, I don't recall. That's just one little tidbit I recall.

Yes if you have bad ankles, then wearing heels would be very bad. Also. I don't mind making some of my females a bit more feminine, by having them wear something nicer than their traveling clothes, but I try to make them fashionable with comfort. And I also like giving normal looking chests to them. Especially since for me personally, I am not comfortable, most of the time, having my female's chest showing. I don't get people who wear clothing that shows off the chest yet still trying to cover.

But again, that's just me.
Sanne wrote:
All quoted text here
As a heel lover, I hate this phenomenon. It's a byproduct of the oversexualization of women in entertainment, since most of them (fictional I mean) are created and designed by men who only approve of a female character if she's the perfect frame with the right hip tilt and the best angle to show her chest. Heels are only one symptom of this lol. You're spot on though, it's irritating and unrealistic as heck.

Edit: There's a name for this and there are great examples of how female characters are always drawn a certain way to highlight their sexual appeal while male characters are always drawn to exhibit power and strength. It's not about the muscles or the slenderness of their body, but the poses specifically. I can't find the page that detailed this which is a bummer, it is pretty informative and eye opening!

O.M.G! I can not AGREE with you more! Every time I would play online games like an old one called Wartune, I always picked the guy simply for the fact the girls are always dressed so skimpy like. I'm like: How the hell are you supposed to protect yourself, armor wise etc, if you are dressed skimpily to appease the men?

It's like: Look at how sexy I am! -stray arrow comes flying in-
DarkonDreams wrote:
All quoted text here
I don't mind wearing them from time to time. I have boots on a lot and it's nice to feel feminine on my off time or if I'm going out on a date. Sometimes they're practical like if you're riding a horse (need them for the stirrup) or if you're going to a formal interview. Yeah, they're meant to put the leg in an aesthetically pleasing shape, but being aesthetically pleasing in an interview isn't always a bad thing.

But yeah, they're hard to do kung-fu in and while I can run in them, they slow me down. Easier to roll your ankle if you move too fast. Good for stomping on someone's foot with if they're stiletto heels because they work, well, like stilettos. Mostly they're used as a sexualization image.

I can understand wanting to wear them for a date. If women want to do so, well that's more power to them. You and Novalyyn both mentioned the stirrup, and I honestly hadn't thought of how a high heel would help with that.

Ah yes. In a sense like Novalyyn said: Hidden Weapon. I'd hate to have my hand stomped, or any part of me for that matter, by a high heel. That looks painful.

Thank you to all three of you, and of course Novalyyn, for your input.

I'm not fully against high heels, even though I myself aren't fond of them. I guess I just like to be a bit realistic when it comes to characters.
To be honest I think the only time it hasn't bothered me when a video game character wears high heels constantly is Bayonetta, but that's mainly because if I had gun heels, I'd be wearing those all the time too, so....

SINDragon wrote:
To be honest I think the only time it hasn't bothered me when a video game character wears high heels constantly is Bayonetta, but that's mainly because if I had gun heels, I'd be wearing those all the time too, so....

-holds up a finger and starts to say something, ends up closing mouth and putting the finger down-

Okay, good point. I mean I personally don't think that I myself would still wear them, but yes. Love Bayonetta and her gun heels. She makes it look easy. Lots of times characters make things look easy.
Sanne Moderator

I stumbled on this article today and immediately thought of this thread lol.

https://www.epbot.com/2017/06/sure-wonder-woman-is-good-but-lets-talk.html

Sanne wrote:
I stumbled on this article today and immediately thought of this thread lol.

https://www.epbot.com/2017/06/sure-wonder-woman-is-good-but-lets-talk.html

I so forgot that Wonder Woman had high heels. Well. I don't know if the original Wonder Woman wore them, but I didn't know about the newest one since I never saw the movie.

Thank you for the share! It was a good read. ^-^
Winters_Fury wrote:
Katia wrote:
All quoted text here

From my understanding: High heels were invented for men to wear. By who or when in history, I don't recall. That's just one little tidbit I recall.

Yes if you have bad ankles, then wearing heels would be very bad. Also. I don't mind making some of my females a bit more feminine, by having them wear something nicer than their traveling clothes, but I try to make them fashionable with comfort. And I also like giving normal looking chests to them. Especially since for me personally, I am not comfortable, most of the time, having my female's chest showing. I don't get people who wear clothing that shows off the chest yet still trying to cover.

But again, that's just me.

I actually remember that tidbit now that you brought it up. Thanks for reminding me. Now I don't care if other people wear heels, but I'm just tired of constantly seeing it everywhere especially when it makes no sense.

However I will agree that I love Bayonetta's gun heels.
I believe they were invented by men originally for butchers, so they wouldn't step in blood and entrails all day.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What is with high heels?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus