Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Are elves still loved?

MasterWinter

Hello all, Winter here.

As the title of the topic is called, I'm curious as to if elves are still loved. What I mean by that is: Do people still rp with elven characters?

I've had two different elf characters, one male one female. They didn't seem to gain much attention. I can understand if elves aren't everyone's cup of tea to rp with. And when I say elves, think the tall ones from like Lord of the Rings as an example.

Now as a writer I know it is up to me as to what I do, what character I put up etc. But before I finish working on, and possibly putting up, a half-elf character I wanted to know if there are people who still rp with elven characters.

I've no problem if my elf or elves end up not being what you are looking for in an rp partner, that's perfectly fine. Mostly I just wanted to ask this in general. Also. For those of you who would like to respond to this topic, would you mind please giving me some reasoning behind your choice? Just would like to hear people out one way or the other.
Seth

I don't know about people in general, but I am on a pretty elf phase right now, so yes! Yes, they are still loved and I have a couple elf characters as well, one of them is even a LOTR elf.
MasterWinter Topic Starter

Seth wrote:
I don't know about people in general, but I am on a pretty elf phase right now, so yes! Yes, they are still loved and I have a couple elf characters as well, one of them is even a LOTR elf.

Nice! I kinda felt like elves were a bit on the extinct side of rp races. I and one friend of mine are, to my knowledge, the only elf rpr's on here. But that was before you posted. :P Lol.
Seth

Random speculation here, but maybe it is because the mainstream media+movies+games of nowadays have very few elves? I mean, LOTR is way in the past now and Skyrim was released 8 years ago, even WOW is very watered down despite still having a following.

Seth wrote:
Random speculation here, but maybe it is because the mainstream media+movies+games of nowadays have very few elves? I mean, LOTR is way in the past now and Skyrim was released 8 years ago, even WOW is very watered down despite still having a following.

You know...I honestly had not taken that into consideration. That might have a lot to do with it.
If I have an option for pointy ears, i'm taking it.

Elves all the time! lol.
Seth

Skyrim was released 8 years ago.... I spooked myself writing that down, it doesn't feel that long!

The truth is we are old most people now are interested in super heroes and characters with powers and makes a lot of sense, My hero Academia and Marvel Cinematic Universe are booming, even netflix have a couple of super heroes show going on.

But before we get sad, let's make a minute of silence for the War Hammer 40k fans, those are the rare scattered folks I so rarely see around. Rejoice, you are not alone.

Seth wrote:
Skyrim was released 8 years ago.... I spooked myself writing that down, it doesn't feel that long!

The truth is we are old most people now are interested in super heroes and characters with powers and makes a lot of sense, My hero Academia and Marvel Cinematic Universe are booming, even netflix have a couple of super heroes show going on.

But before we get sad, let's make a minute of silence for the War Hammer 40k fans, those are the rare scattered folks I so rarely see around. Rejoice, you are not alone.

So, so true. And yes, we are old for certain. I never played Skyrim or War Hammer, but yes. A moment of silence for the War Hammer folks.
Purple_monkfish wrote:
If I have an option for pointy ears, i'm taking it.

Elves all the time! lol.

WEWT! ELF POWER!
Trinitera (played anonymously)

It definitely depends on the setting! I have a medieval fantasy group in which roughly one fifth of the characters are elvish, or have an elvish "form". Granted, most of them are 5+ years old, the bulk of elf characters I know have been around for awhile instead of recently made, this one included.

Trinitera wrote:
It definitely depends on the setting! I have a medieval fantasy group in which roughly one fifth of the characters are elvish, or have an elvish "form". Granted, most of them are 5+ years old, the bulk of elf characters I know have been around for awhile instead of recently made, this one included.

The setting makes sense. -nods- My female, Falathiel, is more suited for like say LOTR or medieval fantasy setting. My current male, Morohtar, mostly fits in the modern-fantasy.

The current male I'm working on, that is a half-elf, is going to be able to do like Falathiel setting wise.
You bet your hot potatoes they are! Maybe that's just me tho'.

Definitely depends on the rp setting, but man do I love elven characters! <3 RP themes are definitely in the trend towards scifi/superhero, but I'm sure there's still a heavy fantasy niche somewhere too.

It's really great to know that there are those who still do portray, and or rp, with elves. I really thought that myself and Sorrow's were the only ones.

Now I'll definitely get my half-elf done, then I'll share him here. As mentioned before: No worries if you don't find him to catch your attention for rp. Just knowing there are other elf lovers here on RPR is enough for me.
Alavara Yllatris (played anonymously)

I joined a forum fantasy quest rp recently which included only the usual fantasy races. Dwarves, humans, orc etc. There was absolutely no question in my mind what I was going to make....I was going to be an elf. I always liked elves usually more than other fantasy races. Elves have a nobility and elegance to them that other races just dont come close to. This is why I love elves.

Alavara Yllatris wrote:
I joined a forum fantasy quest rp recently which included only the usual fantasy races. Dwarves, humans, orc etc. There was absolutely no question in my mind what I was going to make....I was going to be an elf. I always liked elves usually more than other fantasy races. Elves have a nobility and elegance to them that other races just dont come close to. This is why I love elves.

That is so very true about them. I actually have made a small handful of dwarves, but I always love elves most of all. Elven craftsmanship is also one of my favorite things about them.
Azilie (played anonymously)

My longest played character is an elf! I don't think I've ever gotten out of the 'elf phase', if I'm to be honest. Not just because they're such a staple to fantasy, but because they're a large aspect of some of my favorite mythologies, which I've based my toon on.

So many impressive elf characters. Soon as I can sit down fully, I'll be certainly looking them over to the fullest. Thank you all for sharing!
Imperfect Beauty (played by MasterWinter) Topic Starter

I hadn't realized I still had my female elf up on RPR. This is Falathiel, if anyone is interested to take a look see.
Ehen (played by Healthbar)

Ehen is one of my longest standing characters, along side her son (Who's a halfie, but I guess he'd count still, yeah?) I'd imagine they are still loved, but maybe I'm in the minority there alongside the rest of y'all who posted here. I think they're such a staple to any fantasy setting, honestly. But I've always had an intense love for all types of elves, admittedly. I don't think I'll ever out grow the "'elf phase" as it's called. (':

Ehen wrote:
Ehen is one of my longest standing characters, along side her son (Who's a halfie, but I guess he'd count still, yeah?) I'd imagine they are still loved, but maybe I'm in the minority there alongside the rest of y'all who posted here. I think they're such a staple to any fantasy setting, honestly. But I've always had an intense love for all types of elves, admittedly. I don't think I'll ever out grow the "'elf phase" as it's called. (':

Half-elves count in my book! I'm currently in the works of a half-elf myself at the moment.

Ah! Another long-standing character! I will make a dash to Ehen's page asap, and look her over. -nods- I am very much enjoying reading about the elves you all create!

And I agree. I'm not gonna out grow the "elf phase" either. ^-^
Rhyodn (played anonymously)

Oh yeah. This one's an oldy but a goodie. I can't say I ever had a proper "elf phase", but I definitely had a drow phase. I still have both.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Are elves still loved?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus