Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Are elves still loved?

MasterWinter Topic Starter

Peachcakes wrote:
I had a blood elf priest back on WoW in like MoP before the next expansion totally killed my desire to play the game. I liked them for their command over magic, their tragic history, and the way they tried to carve their place in the world. Before that it was lotr even though I was a little kid when I watched them. (Have yet to read the books, but I wanna!)

I was privately rp'ing in an elf kingdom with some friends over Discord for a hot minute before the Queen / mastermind got back into school and we decided to close it until she came back.

It comes as no surprise that from loving casters, I have a thing for the pointy-eared graceful people though I've yet to make one for RPR.

You totally should! That would be cool to see a blood elf! I've not seen one of those in rp before!

Shera L Greenwood wrote:
Snuggles her Elfy Wifeys

Who are your Elfy Wifeys?
Frank SR (played anonymously)

If you want to add to the non-medieval/somewhat more scifi elves.

Frank wrote:
If you want to add to the non-medieval/somewhat more scifi elves.

Now that is interesting. Don't think I've known elves to be in scifi. Frank is a well done OC.
RainbowPitch

I'm a huge elf fan! I particularly roleplay with the D&D 5e version of elves, though I do make up my own races on occasion. I've always been fascinated by Elves.
Let's be honest. The perks and look of elves are better than all other RP races, at least if you like stealthy/magic characters.

Humans are good fighters and mages, but don't have the craftsmanship of elves.
Dwarves are the best warriors and have good weapons and armour, but they're just not as agile and graceful.
Orcs? On one side, the elves. Great archers, mages and rogues, they forge powerful magic artifacts. On the other, orcs. They have a strict hierarchy and mentality, and are neither agile nor classy, they don't craft good weapons. (at least that applies in LOTR and most med-fantasy).
Thus, elves rule.
Hades_

JohntheWarden wrote:
Let's be honest. The perks and look of elves are better than all other RP races, at least if you like stealthy/magic characters.

Humans are good fighters and mages, but don't have the craftsmanship of elves.
Dwarves are the best warriors and have good weapons and armour, but they're just not as agile and graceful.
Orcs? On one side, the elves. Great archers, mages and rogues, they forge powerful magic artifacts. On the other, orcs. They have a strict hierarchy and mentality, and are neither agile nor classy, they don't craft good weapons. (at least that applies in LOTR and most med-fantasy).
Thus, elves rule.

In a lot of other lores, outside the LOTR franchise, Orcs are the cousins to the elves in one way or the other. In Elder Scrolls, Orcs are the go-to forge-masters. They're incredibly powerful mages, and they're intelligent. The difference is that LOTR painted them as being idiotic brutes, which is not the case. They're a very violent prone race, but that doesn't detract from their intelligence, their moral standings, or their place as powerful mages.
Even in WoW they're considered to be incredibly strategical, powerful magic users, and a very serious threat.
I think LOTR has done a horrible job of painting the "generic" idea that orcs are dumb and brutal "creatures" instead of being similar in kin to the rest of the other races.

I don't think Elves are at all even close to the "best" fantasy race, but they are the most prevelantly used due to their extremely "alluring" personifications in most series. I write quite a few elves, I love the race for what it is, but I wouldn't go saying it's the best.
PrettySir wrote:
I think LOTR has done a horrible job of painting the "generic" idea that orcs are dumb and brutal "creatures" instead of being similar in kin to the rest of the other races.

Tolkien might be considered "generic" only because he set the standard for what we think of now for both elves and orcs.
In the Elder Scrolls and LOTR orcs are powerful, and even very good weaponsmith for TES. However they're still not very graceful compared to elves, and their strict hierarchy (the Orc fortresses in TES are a good example of it) makes it hard to make good characters out of them.
I still think elves are one of the best if not the best race in fantasy- give me only one which has a society in which mentality evolves, controls magic better than most races, is great at stealth, melee combat, has good crafts (be it simple weapons for normal troops or legendary artifacts) and is graceful.
I dont strictly have "elves" because I decided for various reasons that all the groups in my setting would have their own names, but the "dwarrow" that my main character is are functionally very similar to elves in most ways and in previous iterations were sometimes called Deep-elves. Also I play as elves whenever I can in fiction. My only problem is elves tend to be less, ah, aggressive compared to alot of others (Although thats nowhere near universal of course. Look at elder scrolls.)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Are elves still loved?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus