Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Books you loved as a kid

Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

ALTY_Heave wrote:
I used to LOVE the Beverly Cleary books, like The Mouse and the Motorcycle and, another book in that series, Ralph S. Mouse

I also loved Pilgrim's Progress (and still do).

A Very Hungry Caterpillar when I was WAY younger. XD

There's Little Women as well. I just can't possibly think of them all! But the books that I loved more than all of these were the Junie B. Jones books. I don't know if I spelt that right, but I just ate those books up.

Hehe...I loved the Ralph S Mouse books too.

Beverly Cleary was so good at putting humor in her books.

He even had a little helmet for his motorcycle. XD I'll always love those books.

And oh yes! Little Women is such a wonderful book. I also liked the movie with Winona Ryder and Claire Danes. Movies don't always do the book justice, but I think that one did a pretty good job!

Pilgrim's Progress - I've only read a little bit of that book. But that's all that needed to see that that book is genius. The whole thing's a metaphor (or, maybe the word would be allegory? I don't know). But everything has a double meaning and it's just an amazing work of art, a classic.

Great contributions, girl!
The first Deltora Quest was the the first book I'd read by myself. I remember, because I was four I believe, and every night my mum would grab a book from one of the shelves and read it to me. However, that night my oldest brother came instead and read the first chapter.

And then he never read more to me ever.

My little four year old brain could not comprehend that he could just leave me hanging like that. I hungered for that book. I pestered my mother and she brought it to me, however she would not read it to me.

So of course I tried to read the entirety of it in one night. I got to like, chapter three before I fell asleep.

But yeah. Deltora Quest was my jam as a kid, rivaled only by The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Man my blanket is a special, unique, only-one-in-the-entire-world The Very Hungry Caterpillar blanket. Y'all I ain't messing around TVHC is my SHIT.

Other books I enjoyed as a kid include the Pokemon books, the Wishing Chair, that one book like the Wishing Chair except it's a tree and there's an angry guy who doesn't have a name because he's a filthy jerk, that one where there's a fourteen year old who's a spy and he uses a gameboy to save the world, and...

Lemme be real I'm drawing blanks- I'm looking up at my desk in the hopes I'll remember something and all I can see is my Deltora Quest "how to draw monsters" thing :)
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Derglet wrote:
The first Deltora Quest was the the first book I'd read by myself. I remember, because I was four I believe, and every night my mum would grab a book from one of the shelves and read it to me. However, that night my oldest brother came instead and read the first chapter.

And then he never read more to me ever.

My little four year old brain could not comprehend that he could just leave me hanging like that. I hungered for that book. I pestered my mother and she brought it to me, however she would not read it to me.

So of course I tried to read the entirety of it in one night. I got to like, chapter three before I fell asleep.

But yeah. Deltora Quest was my jam as a kid, rivaled only by The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Man my blanket is a special, unique, only-one-in-the-entire-world The Very Hungry Caterpillar blanket. Y'all I ain't messing around TVHC is my SHIT.

Other books I enjoyed as a kid include the Pokemon books, the Wishing Chair, that one book like the Wishing Chair except it's a tree and there's an angry guy who doesn't have a name because he's a filthy jerk, that one where there's a fourteen year old who's a spy and he uses a gameboy to save the world, and...

Lemme be real I'm drawing blanks- I'm looking up at my desk in the hopes I'll remember something and all I can see is my Deltora Quest "how to draw monsters" thing :)

Nice choices.

Hey I wonder if you're thinking of The Giving Tree. If so, I know what you're talking about, and I like that book too, but I agree the boy/man in the book is very mean! Lol. But I like the message of sacrificial love.

If, that is, we're talking about the same book.

Aaaand for some reason your talking about monsters reminded me of another favorite book...

Where the Wild Things Are!

That was such a cute book.
When I was a kid I loved reading, I read: The Bailey School Kid's, Wayside School is Falling Down, Babysitter's Club, Berenstain Bears, American Girl series, Arthur, Dr. Suess books, and books on cats/wildlife.

I wasn't exposed to a colorful variety of books until I got out of elementary school. I spent whole weekends at the library as a teenager, it was a get-away from a lot of what I was doing through as was writing. I discovered horror, crime/suspense, supernatural/fantasy, historical, and I fell in love all over again.
kroweling

all of the illustrated classics books, jonathan stroud's bartimaeus trilogy, the graveyard book by neil gaiman.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Books you loved as a kid

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus