Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Books you loved as a kid

Anything and everything by Rick Riordan is still a must-have... In grade school I read the Magic tree house series and that is what got me into reading and pronouncing English better... My first language is Spanish... I also adored the kingdom keepers series...
Pre-highschool:

- Silverwing triology
- A Series of Unforunate Events
- The Guardians of Ga'hoole
- Nancy Drew
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- LotR
- a lot of nonfiction pertaining to nature
Yersinia wrote:
Pre-highschool:

- Silverwing triology
- A Series of Unforunate Events
- The Guardians of Ga'hoole
- Nancy Drew
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- LotR
- a lot of nonfiction pertaining to nature

OMG gardians of the gahoole... Been a long time since I've heard that name... Ioved those owls...
Pandas71

OKAY, I'M SO STOKED THIS IS AN ACTUAL THREAD. I HAVE SO MANY GOOD MEMORIES WITH BOOKS (even though I'm not that old yet). I'll classify when I was a kid to 8th grade and below. :3

Emily Windsnap series (Mermaids were a big thing for me. I just love the water and everything to do with it. That's why I'm a Sea Scout!)
The Divergent Series
The Maze Runner
Doctor Seuss
The Chronicles of Narnia
Black Beauty
Swindle
Middle School series
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Hatchet
The Magic Treehouse
Harry Potter(Read it in the first grade, y'all!)
Bridge to Terrabithia
The Secret Garden
39 Clues
Holes
Hunger Games
Goosebumps
I Survived (Pearl Harbor was my favorite! :3)
The Golden Acorn
Coraline
Evertaster
Diary of a 6th Grade Ninja
A Place Called Perfect (This is an amazing read that I would recommend to any age group)
The Bewitching of Allison Allbright
The Golden Link
A Horse Called September
Gulliver's Travels
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Ascendancy Legacy series

This is just to name a few! I used to read all the time. I also read a lot off mythology books but cant remember any of the names, haha!
In order of age:

Geronimo Stilton
Warriors (Cats)
Chronicles of ancient darkness - Michelle Paver
Artemis Fowl
Darren Shan's series
Harry potter
The Hobbit
Lord Of The Rings

My actual first book I knew by heart in English? (I was 4)
"Brown bear brown bear, what do you see?" (Anyone? :3)
Goosebumps
Animorphs
The Hobbit
The LotR trilogy
The Chronicles of Narnia
Mr_Stick wrote:
Goosebumps
Animorphs
The Hobbit
The LotR trilogy
The Chronicles of Narnia

I also share the Hobbit and the LotR series, and I’m also reading the Similarion. Other than that, Five Kingdoms, Wings of Fire, Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, and a few I can’t remember the titles of.
- Aja Dobbo - a Danish children's book series about a cat that looks more like an alley cat than a purebred Burmese, so he's sold to an evil lady, but then escapes.

- Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan

- Everything Tamora Pierce wrote that's set in Tortall

- Everything on ancient Egypt, and everything about cats. I loved the school library, and I read all they had on those two subjects.

- The Spiderwick Chronicles.

- Childrens books and comics by Danish author Lene Kaaberbøl.
Almost forgot about The Dragonriders of Pern!
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Pandas71 wrote:

The Secret Garden

Oh yeah, I forgot The Secret Garden! Loved that book.
I also really loved the Giver. I kind of love the dystopian/utopian genre. It is very appealing to me. I also love how everything connects in the Giver series. I totally recommend, if you are reading these books as a book club, for each person to read a different book. It just makes everything so much better.

8_Stars_8 wrote:
I also really loved the Giver. I kind of love the dystopian/utopian genre. It is very appealing to me. I also love how everything connects in the Giver series. I totally recommend, if you are reading these books as a book club, for each person to read a different book. It just makes everything so much better.

Yes, I loved the Giver! I read it as an adult, but what a good book. Really makes you think about what society values and what's important.
"What's Left Of Me" ~Kat Zhang (This book was literally an all time fav read for me! I wasn't a 'kid' per say however i was young.)
choose your own adventure books
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Island of the Blue Dolphins

Sing Down the Moon

Jacob Have I Loved...

Bridge to Terebithia

A Wrinkle in Time

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Beverly Cleary books (The Mouse on a Motorcycle, the Ramona series, Dear Mr. Henshaw, etc)

The Forgotten Door (by Alexander Key)

Where the Red Fern Grows

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

We simply must become friends. I can forgive your enjoyment of Where the Red Fern Grows. That book destroyed me. I preferred the Incredible Journey! Do say yes, and let us become bosom friends. There's another of my favorites. The Anne of Green Gables books. Did you read those?
MestStrauss wrote:
choose your own adventure books

I always chose poorly and ended up dead. *sigh*
SylOfficial wrote:
In order of age:

Geronimo Stilton
Warriors (Cats)
Chronicles of ancient darkness - Michelle Paver
Artemis Fowl
Darren Shan's series
Harry potter
The Hobbit
Lord Of The Rings

My actual first book I knew by heart in English? (I was 4)
"Brown bear brown bear, what do you see?" (Anyone? :3)

Brown bear is a great kid's book! My first that I can remember was Thunderhoof!
Aveilthe wrote:
There were so many books I read as a kid. I remember a few on your list, too--The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was fantastic and introduced me to the fantasy genre, and Where the Red Fern Grows was something I remember reading with my gradeschool class that made me sob. Bridge to Terabithia was another great story, another sad one. The ones that stand out the most that made my childhood all the sweeter are these:

Goosebumps
Hank the Cowdog
Babysitters Club
Charlotte's Web
The Velveteen Rabbit
The Hobbit (something I read when I started getting into my teens)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, there were honestly hundreds upon hundreds of books that I've read and enjoyed as much as the ones I've listed!

My husband and I ranch. Today our dog came in smelling....interesting. The cowdog chronicles are more real than you know!

InkWren wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Island of the Blue Dolphins

Sing Down the Moon

Jacob Have I Loved...

Bridge to Terebithia

A Wrinkle in Time

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Beverly Cleary books (The Mouse on a Motorcycle, the Ramona series, Dear Mr. Henshaw, etc)

The Forgotten Door (by Alexander Key)

Where the Red Fern Grows

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

We simply must become friends. I can forgive your enjoyment of Where the Red Fern Grows. That book destroyed me. I preferred the Incredible Journey! Do say yes, and let us become bosom friends. There's another of my favorites. The Anne of Green Gables books. Did you read those?

I didn't ever read the Anne of Green Gables books but I've heard good things about them!

Hehe...awww...I understand, where the red fern grows was sad. :(

And of course! I will happily become your friend. :) Adding you now. Seems like we're in the same age group...go generation x. ;)

Anyone remember the Encyclopedia Brown books? :)
I used to LOVE the Beverly Cleary books, like The Mouse and the Motorcycle and, another book in that series, Ralph S. Mouse

I also loved Pilgrim's Progress (and still do).

A Very Hungry Caterpillar when I was WAY younger. XD

There's Little Women as well. I just can't possibly think of them all! But the books that I loved more than all of these were the Junie B. Jones books. I don't know if I spelt that right, but I just ate those books up.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Books you loved as a kid

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus