Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Comedian Donates $50,000 To Takei Charity

Sanne Moderator

Quote:
The Westboro Baptist Church may have met its match in Lisa Lampanelli, longtime supporter of Takei rights and Comedy's "lovable Queen of Mean."

Lampanelli recently told TMZ she would donate $1,000 to the Takei Men's Health Crisis organization for every Westboro Baptist Church member that showed up to protest her show in Topeka, Kansas. Well, now the nation's oldest HIV/AIDS prevention and service organization will be getting a hefty $50,000 check from Lampanelli -- in the church's name.

Nearly 50 people showed up to protest the show, some of whom you can see in the video below as Lampanelli greets them with a few zingers. After the show, Lampanelli tweeted that the GMHC would be getting $44,000, but after another count showed 48 protesters instead of 44, she updated again via Twitter: "I won't quibble. I'll make it an even $50,000!!!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/23/lisa-lampanelli-vs-westboro-baptist-church_n_865291.html
Please mind, there is some swearing in this video.

Truly awesome stuff right here!!! I think it's amazing that she's using the hatred of other people and, against their will, channels it into something positive.

At risk of starting something religious here, I've no problem with religion. I just don't think a religion should spread fear and hatred against people who do no harm anyone just for loving someone of the same gender. I've quite a few Christian friends who are friends with me (bisexual) and my sister (lesbian) and cheer on us for loving someone, regardless of gender. It's okay not to like or even not approve of gay relationships, but it's not okay to force your own way of life and views on others. Gays aren't trying to force you to be gay, so don't force them to be straight either. It's a matter of mutual respect for each other, and people like these protesters lack such a respect. It's not the religion that's at fault or the dislike/disapproval of gays, please don't misunderstand.
Westboro Baptist is hated among even Christians, trust me. Anyone who hears their name, religious or not, cringes with disgust.

I think this is totally awesome. xD It's going to a good cause, and it's because of Westboro's insane hatred. They deserve it. xD I think this is great, that she's willing to give so much.
Is it true that the Westboro Baptist Church doesn't have a huge congregation? I'm told they don't have a major backing, but that they're just famous for their immense amount(s) of hatred. You know, I only just learned about them a couple of years ago when I was coming out of my own closet and it really disgusted me to see people protesting so vehemently a person's sexual orientation. It's pretty true, though, that they basically hate on everyone, isn't it?

I had a good laugh in watching the video, for sure. Talking above such angry people in a way that shows them who the real spectacle is? Priceless. Go, Lampanelli! (And Takei!)
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

I honestly don't know who they are. I'm in Dutchland across the sea. It's sad to see people ruining religion for others though, that's for sure.
Sanne wrote:
I honestly don't know who they are. I'm in Dutchland across the sea. It's sad to see people ruining religion for others though, that's for sure.

Their website appears to be down -- I think it was hacked by Anonymous?...
It's not a very tasteful domain name, but they're not a very tactful group!
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Brutal wrote:
Sanne wrote:

Their website appears to be down -- I think it was hacked by Anonymous?...
It's not a very tasteful domain name, but they're not a very tactful group!

I honestly don't think I want to check it out. :(
Dragonfire Moderator

As far as I know, the church is mostly composed of family members of Fred Phelps. Unfortunately, it's rather a large family. I would guess there's probably a few non-related people in there, though, because there are always those whom are just filled with ignorant hatred.

Thankfully, we've got laws in Canada prohibiting hate speech, so we've bounced them away at the border the few times they try to show up to 'protest' at something.
Wow, so much hate.. Lampanelli must be a truly awesome person. xD
Dragonfire wrote:
As far as I know, the church is mostly composed of family members of Fred Phelps. Unfortunately, it's rather a large family. I would guess there's probably a few non-related people in there, though, because there are always those whom are just filled with ignorant hatred.

Thankfully, we've got laws in Canada prohibiting hate speech, so we've bounced them away at the border the few times they try to show up to 'protest' at something.

Well, if you've got your KKK, you've got your random hate-filled poops.

Yay, Canada, though!

And Sanne? Wouldn't blame you.
I thought that even the KKK is utterly repulsed by the Westboro Baptist Church and wants absolutely nothing to do with them.
Which is the opinion of MOST people who have any interaction with them.
I remember seeing this report/short documentary about one of the kids who grew up to start questioning the Church and began to recognize what her family was doing was wrong, and they completely disowned her. Without any remorse whatsoever. And they told her younger siblings that she was evil and going to go to Hell. What I think is going to happen is that, because WBC is largely a family based organization, a lot of their kids are going to grow up and find out that the world that actually exists is a lot different than the world that their parents and their church tell them exists. So it could just be a matter of time before the whole organization collapses from the inside. Likely, it's not something we'll see over the course of the next few years. I mean, if one kid raised that way could grow up to think differently, there's nothing stopping others from doing the same.
Anyway, I digress.

To my understanding, most Christians abhor/severely disagree with the WBC and are ashamed of how they conduct themselves. Most Christians felt the same way about that radio baptist from Portland who was going on about how the Rapture was supposed to happen last week, too. In fact, most people in general have the common sense to want to distance themselves from these people, Christian or non. It's in no way the fault of Christianity or Christian teachings as a whole that some of its followers do more to hurt their own causes than help them. Grouping together WBC with every Christian ever is just the same amount of wrong as grouping together cat-killing cultists with every atheist ever. Some people are just bonkers, and it's those people that attract media attention. Which is a whole other monster in itself. If all we ever see are the extreme examples of one generalized group of people or the other, they're going to create a negative stigma for anyone and everyone in that group.

...Er...anyway, I'm digressing again and this post is getting a little long.
I'm glad that someone was able to turn around what the WBC does with their protests and make an example out of them by doing something positive in response.
WBC... oh the WBC.

I want to go to where ever they are protesting one day and just talk to them. Then, count how many times they say the word hate, and then write love that many times on a canvas and hang it on my wall. It will make me feel good.

Serously though, I'm not even offended by them anymore- now they are a traviling wit magnet. I love seeing how people protest against them- they've become almost a way to bond a comunity- they really only spread love and bonds and acceptance. I want them to keep existing for that perpose.

They need to not protest funerals though- thats just rude.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Comedian Donates $50,000 To Takei Charity

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus