Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Anyone like folk rock?

I just heard a thing on the radio about a movie coming out called Echos in the Canyon, and it sounds neat. It's about the musicians that coalesced together in the Laurel Canyon near Los Angeles in the 60s and combined the genres of folk with rock.

People like the Mamas and the Pappas, and the Beach Boys (apparently -- I wouldn't have thought of them as folk rock but apparently they can be classified that way! Hmm.)

And folks elsewhere like Carole King, Simon and Garfunkel, the Byrds, Peter Paul and Mary, Judy Collins, and Linda Rondstadt, etc. Folk rock! Anyone like those folks as much as I do? Just curious. :)
Yep.

Also cool, though rather different: folk metal.
Rogue-Scribe

Damn right! I would call The Beach Boys ‘surfer rock’ aka Jan & Dean, etc.

Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Ry Cooder, Neil Young... these five make up a fair amount of my playlists.

One that has been a big part of my musical life is Arlo Guthrie. He just announced last week that due to health issues he will no longer tour.
Arlo has Gone Fishin’
Gone Fishing
by Arlo Guthrie on Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:38 am

It’s been a great 50+ years of being a working entertainer, but I reached the difficult decision that touring and stage shows are no longer possible. That’s the short version. For the longer version continue reading…

As a folksinger, I never really thought much about getting older. It seemed to me that I could just continue year after year, decade after decade, singing and playing as I had done for most of my life. As the years went by, it got more difficult to keep touring, but I did it, mostly because I’d been doing it my entire life. It was the life I knew and loved.

In 2016 on April 1st, April Fools Day, I got really dizzy in the parking lot of the hotel, and started seeing as though I were looking through a kaleidoscope. That evening the show went on as though nothing had happened. I had no idea I’d just encountered a mini stroke until weeks later, when I was told about it. It didn’t appear to affect my performance, or my state of being. I continued touring for the next 4 years.

Then, on Thanksgiving Day 2019 (of all freaking days) it happened again. This time I was on my way to The Church/The Guthrie Center to help out with our annual Thanksgiving Dinner that we hold every year. I had pulled over to fuel up and realized I couldn’t continue to drive safely, as everything was spinning around, sort of like the old days, but without the help of illegal substances. I was taken to the hospital, and was under evaluation, when I broke out. I had an important gig at Carnegie Hall in New York - The end of an annual series I’d been doing for decades and it was Sold Out. I had to be there. It was imperative.

The next morning I left the hospital, took the family and headed for New York. And what a show it was! We wrapped up 50 years with a terrific evening with the entire family on stage. I really enjoyed it.

The following day I flew to my home in Sebastian, FL just as I had done for years, this time with the history of Carnegie Hall behind me. My girlfriend, Marti picked me up at the airport, and we settled into the routine of being on the river I loved. Two nights after arriving home, I awoke in the morning and was lurching from sIde to side. I knew something was wrong, and went to keep a doctors appointment we’d previously set up. The doc said “You need to go to the hospital - Now.”

So, Marti took me to the hospital nearby in Vero Beach. They kept me there for 3 days, running tests of all kinds, and essentially informed me that I’d suffered a stroke. This time was more serious, as I’d lost some ability to walk, and I wondered if if would be able to play music. I spent about a week in a rehab center to re-learn the basics, like walking. I went home after that, and began a regimen of playing guitar, walking… All the things I would need to continue touring and performing. During the entire time, Marti kept the family and close friends advised as to my progress, and took really great care of me. I needed all the help I could get. And she was there to see it done right.

By the the time our first shows began in 2020, I was at about at 80% and felt like I was improving. Then the pandemic hit. All the shows we had planned for 2020 were at first, postponed, then rescheduled and finally cancelled. My hopes for a gradual recovery onstage came to an abrupt end.

Meanwhile, I’d decided back in 2018 to move from the home in Florida. And just as I’d returned from our last gig in Tennessee, a buyer appeared, and we had a deal on the table to sell The CrabHouse. I wasn’t in any shape to go through the intricacies of selling a guitar pick, let alone a home with 30 years of stuff we’d collected. Marti ended up doing it all. She finalized the deal, and dealt with the stuff that either had to be sold, moved or thrown out. It was quite a lot. But, through garage sales, online markets, movers and friends, she’d pretty much emptied the CrabHouse of everything, and we moved into her place about a mile away.

We were there for a few weeks, before it was safe enough to return to The Farm in Massachusetts. That was in June 2020. Since then we’ve been holed up at The Farm trying to keep out of harms way, and also trying to provide some online entertainment for our friends who were, and continue to be, holed up wherever they are. My band and crew arranged a few short gigs that were filmed at The Church, but when I saw the play-back in the editing room I realized that it was not up to the standards I expected of myself, let alone the expectations that our friends and fans had come to enjoy.

A folksinger’s shelf life may be a lot longer than a dancer or an athlete, but at some point, unless you’re incredibly fortunate or just plain whacko (either one or both) it’s time to hang up the “Gone Fishing” sign. Going from town to town and doing stage shows, remaining on the road is no longer an option.

I don’t remember answering the question on the other side of that piece of paper when I was asked “Kid! Have you rehabilitated yourself?” But, the short answer is now clearly, “No!” In fact, I hope to be a thorn in the side of a new administration pretty soon. Tom Paine once wrote “To argue with a man who has renounced the use … of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead….” In other words, you cannot and should not argue with people who don’t care, or hold the caring of others in contempt. A healthy suspicion of authority, left, right or center has been the hallmark of my career since the beginning, and I will continue to poke fun at cultural, political, or personal absurdities as I see it. I’m actually looking forward to it.

I’m happy, healthy and good to go, even if I’m not going anywhere. I’ve taken back 6-9 months that I used to spend on the road, and enjoying myself with Marti, my family and friends. In short - Gone Fishing.
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Novalyyn wrote:
Yep.

Also cool, though rather different: folk metal.

Have to check out

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Damn right! I would call The Beach Boys ‘surfer rock’ aka Jan & Dean, etc.

Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Arlo Guthrie, Neil Young... these five naked up a fair amount of my playlists.

Yesss
I think I would like it. I like a pretty wide variety of music but I have trouble telling genres apart for whatever reason.

I need to find some new music to listen to, so thanks for throwing some names into the thread.

DazzlingDragon wrote:
I think I would like it. I like a pretty wide variety of music but I have trouble telling genres apart for whatever reason.

I need to find some new music to listen to, so thanks for throwing some names into the thread.

Cool...yeah they're a lot of really classic singer-songwriters there that have been popular over the years so maybe you would. :)
Rogue-Scribe

How would you classify the early Eagles? It is technically folk rock, but it was labeled 'Country rock' back in the day. It was too rocky for the country charts and too country for the rock charts. These days, there are rockier 'country' artists....

The Desperado album has got be one of their best, and it is a concept story to be played from beginning to end. The only song heard on 'classic' rock stations these days is Tequila Sunrise, but I always liked Bitter Creek better.

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
How would you classify the early Eagles? It is technically folk rock, but it was labeled 'Country rock' back in the day. It was too rocky for the country charts and too country for the rock charts. These days, there are rockier 'country' artists....

The Desperado album has got be one of their best, and it is a concept story to be played from beginning to end. The only song heard on 'classic' rock stations these days is Tequila Sunrise, but I always liked Bitter Creek better.

1. I love the Eagles

2. I love Desperado and Tequila Sunrise but I did not know Desperado was a concept album to be played from beginning to end. Thank you for that.

3. I love the Eagles

4. Hmmm...I think of them as definitely somewhat folksy but I think country rock is the best description, like you say. But it fits right into the kind of stuff I like. Folksy yet rock.

5. I had never heard Bitter Creek but just listened to it and it's a good song.

So do you feel like they would have been a country band by today's standards? I dunno.

Seems like they're in a category of their own! #originality

Nice choice there.

Songs I like by the Eagles:

1. Take It Easy
2. Peaceful, Easy Feeling
3. Desperado
4. Best of My Love
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Take It To the Limit
7. One of These Nights
8. Lyin' Eyes

-- For some reason, the one song I don't like by them is Hotel California, because the whole idea of a hotel you can't get out of creeps me out slightly.

Also...

((♥️)) Lynard Skynard ((♥️))
Rogue-Scribe

Abigail_Austin wrote:
-- For some reason, the one song I don't like by them is Hotel California, because the whole idea of a hotel you can't get out of creeps me out slightly.

There are two... no, three songs I could go through the rest of my life not ever hearing again.... Hey Jude by the Beatles, Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin, and Hotel California by the Eagles.

But what I do like hearing, and I'll add what I consider some 'folk-rock' here....

Allman Brothers - Midnight Rider

And mayby more country folk than folk rock... but what the hey... New Riders of the Purple Sage - Panama Red

Uriah Heep - Stealin'

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:

There are two... no, three songs I could go through the rest of my life not ever hearing again.... Hey Jude by the Beatles, Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin, and Hotel California by the Eagles.

But what I do like hearing, and I'll add what I consider some 'folk-rock' here....

Allman Brothers - Midnight Rider

And mayby more country folk than folk rock... but what the hey... New Riders of the Purple Sage - Panama Red

Uriah Heep - Stealin'

Right on. All three of those are overplayed indeed.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Coming from Minnesota. Bob dylan.
Deumeawyn

LakotaSiouxWarrior wrote:
Coming from Minnesota. Bob dylan.

I saw him live a few years ago!

I think Mumford and Sons fits into this genre. Their debut album is the best!
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Abigail_Austin wrote:
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:

1. I love the Eagles

2. I love Desperado and Tequila Sunrise but I did not know Desperado was a concept album to be played from beginning to end. Thank you for that.

3. I love the Eagles

4. Hmmm...I think of them as definitely somewhat folksy but I think country rock is the best description, like you say. But it fits right into the kind of stuff I like. Folksy yet rock.

5. I had never heard Bitter Creek but just listened to it and it's a good song.

So do you feel like they would have been a country band by today's standards? I dunno.

Seems like they're in a category of their own! #originality

Nice choice there.

Songs I like by the Eagles:

1. Take It Easy
2. Peaceful, Easy Feeling
3. Desperado
4. Best of My Love
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Take It To the Limit
7. One of These Nights
8. Lyin' Eyes

Also...

((♥️)) Lynard Skynard ((♥️))
The eagles and lynard skynard great music. You have great taste in music.
Rogue-Scribe

This might be more 'Folk' than 'Rock' ...
LakotaSiouxWarrior

The byrds from Los Angeles they were really great.
Deumeawyn

Has anyone heard of the John Butler Trio or Mama Kin? I was just recently introduced to his music when I went to see Mama Kin at a free show. I then found out they are married. I have been going through both of their song libraries.

This one is so touching...

Rogue-Scribe

Good one Deu. Been a fan of John Butler Trio since I saw them in th eearly 2000's at the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle. Their album 'Three' is a masterpiece! I hope you are doing better my friend.

I really love Roger McGuinn of the Byrds doing this cover of one of my favourite Bob Dylan songs...

LakotaSiouxWarrior

Joan baez. She worked with this guy from minnesota called bob dylan. Fablouus guitarist songwriter vocalist.
Rogue-Scribe

LakotaSiouxWarrior wrote:
Joan baez. She worked with this guy from minnesota called bob dylan. Fablouus guitarist songwriter vocalist.
Indeed! Love Joanie! Her voice is so unique. Saw her live a couple years ago and she still has it!
Her song about Bob Dylan... love the photography!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Anyone like folk rock?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus