Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » How far do you commute to work?

Distance to work: 20 miles

Time it takes: 25 minutes

Mode of transportation: Scooter.

Gotta love my little 125cc rocket... :D
0 miles to my 600 acre farm.

3 miles to the supply depot i also work at.

6 miles to the lodge I own and run.

4270 miles from Hawaii 😭
distance to school (since i don’t have a job): 15 km

time it takes: 20 - 35 minutes

mode of transportation: bus
Claine Moderator

Distance to work: 11km (7 miles)

Time it takes: 10-15 minutes depending on traffic

Mode of transportation: Car.

It's really the only option available. There is no convenient public transport to this part of town. A bike may be possible (40-50 minutes) but would require crossing over a busy highway.
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Juls wrote:
For years, I drove 30-45 minutes.

But for the last couple years, I've been in the same boat as Ethys. My office is just right upstairs. Whoo! It's so nice. (Ethys, you probably win on actual shortest commute though since I've got to walk outside to feed and water the chickens.)

Occasionally, I have to hop on a plane and go visit my employer's site for a week, but not too often... every 6 or so months.

Sounds nice. Also fresh eggs sound nice. Mmmm omlets with onions and cheese. (Just got off work and now I'm hungry).

Penholder wrote:
Distance to work: about 15 km, I think.

Time it takes: between 30-45 minutes, depending on how everything comes together. I'm always at least 25 minutes early, though (:

Mode of transportation: public transport. Honestly, if I'm working during the daytime, it would take me twice as long to get home by car.

Not a bad commute at all!

Public transport faster than a car?

Wow...see...to a Texan that sounds amazing. The opposite is always true where Iive, although the public transit system is doable where I live. But it's never simple (often requires several transfers) and it always takes longer than by car would.

Mercyinreach wrote:
One slide of my butt from my bed into the chair next to my bed where I get onto my computer. πŸ˜›

Ok. You officially win shortest commute! Lol. :p

Novalyyn wrote:
Going with the more active/frequent job...

Distance to work: 22 miles by car, most direct I can find is 16 miles by foot

Time it takes: normally hour and a half to hour and 50 (depending on the time of day), but some construction started today that's sure to add on; would be shorter if I drove

Mode of transportation: public transit (mix of busses and lightrail trains)

That sounds very similar to what it would be like if I was to use public transportation here...both timewise and vehiclewise.

Heidi wrote:
Distance to work: 20 miles

Time it takes: 25 minutes

Mode of transportation: Scooter.

Gotta love my little 125cc rocket... :D

Scooter! Ha...that's a mode I hadn't considered...gotta be most unique. And you must be making almost a mile a minute...which makes sense because I guess a scooter shares the road with the cars so 50-60 miles per hour makes sense. Must be fun. Although maybe when it rains it's tricky...

danmanmun wrote:

4270 miles from Hawaii 😭

From Hawaii! Hahaha! Do you sometimes work in Hawaii, or do you just want to work in Hawaii? Lol.

Sounds like you've got a lot going on! 🀠🀠🀠

Sunflower wrote:
distance to school (since i don’t have a job): 15 km

time it takes: 20 - 35 minutes

mode of transportation: bus

That sounds pretty good to me for a bus trip. :)

Claine wrote:
Distance to work: 11km (7 miles)

Time it takes: 10-15 minutes depending on traffic

Mode of transportation: Car.

It's really the only option available. There is no convenient public transport to this part of town. A bike may be possible (40-50 minutes) but would require crossing over a busy highway.

Same here. It would be nearly impossible to ride a bicycle to work...or would be a treacherous journey indeed. Another thing we're working on improving on in Tx.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Not a bad commute. And...must be a busy street/area. There's an area like that near my mom's house, right by a football stadium.

Just a major metropolitan city with aging in infrastructure that can no longer handle the growth or the needs of the community. :)

Somnom wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Not a bad commute. And...must be a busy street/area. There's an area like that near my mom's house, right by a football stadium.

Just a major metropolitan city with aging in infrastructure that can no longer handle the growth or the needs of the community. :)

Roger that.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
danmanmun wrote:

4270 miles from Hawaii 😭

From Hawaii! Hahaha! Do you sometimes work in Hawaii, or do you just want to work in Hawaii? Lol.

I wish I could work in Hawaii lol
danmanmun wrote:

I think a lot of people wish they would work in Hawaii! Hahaha!
Whoops. Miscalculated my route!

Still scooter... still 25 minutes... distance is actually around 15-16 miles rather than 20.

For a minute there, I really was riding a rocket! :D

danmanmun wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
danmanmun wrote:

4270 miles from Hawaii 😭

Ditto!

Heidi wrote:

Still scooter... still 25 minutes... distance is actually around 15-16 miles rather than 20.

Haha. πŸš€πŸ‘©β€πŸš€

Abigail_Austin wrote:
Heidi wrote:

Haha. πŸš€πŸ‘©β€πŸš€

The funniest thing about this to me is that I randomly decided to do math for fun as a response to your answer. That's unlike me. I'm like "let's calculate how fast she was going on the rocket scooter..." Haha. What?

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » How far do you commute to work?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus