Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Gears and Gadgets (1x1)

Calic (played by CelestinaGrey)

(Steampunk 1x1 RP for Calic and Clockwork)

The weather was nice. The sky was clear, the sun was shining, and the ship was perfectly afloat through the air, breezing over and under fluffy white clouds. The sounds of the ship filled the air; chatter from the occupants, the constant movement of the gears, the slow flapping of the wings that helped keep the ship up, the rumble of the jets that helped even more so, and the clicking and chirping of the various mechanical devices.

A certain mechanic was down in the dusty steaming area, where the water was heated to create steam to fuel the jets. One jet was down, and Calic had been sent to fix it. He sat on the floor at the moment, tinkering with a single piece. The odd little watch-like, spider-like creation with one eyeball was latched onto one of the pipes, watching it's master at work.
Clockwork Sky (played by Minkja)

Clockwork was up on the main deck, the machine-human mostly keeping to itself. Its unblinking eyes stared out at the clouds. Those who would glance at it would see a young boy possessing a strangely beautiful face, with shoulder-length blond hair and mostly plain clothing with a large, cylindrical tube tied to his back. The only strange thing about it, perhaps, were the wide eyes and abnormally smooth skin. And the soft whirring that could be heard if one was close enough.

It appeared to sigh as it pushed away from the railing it had been leaning on. In boredom, it began to wander down into the hull. It continued to aimlessly explore the airship's bowels, perhaps encountering a few people now and then. Boredom grew on it. With another soft, whirry sigh, Clockwork settled on a medium-sized box, setting the tube on the wooden floor in front of it.
Calic (played by CelestinaGrey) Topic Starter

Calic heard movement in a nearby area. "Hallo?" he called, pulling away his one wrench from the current piece he was fixing. Or, at least he tried to pull it away. It was stuck. He tugged on it, then tugged harder, then harder. It wouldn't budge. A small string of mild curses like 'dagnabbit' and 'blasted thing!' came from him while he tried to pull it off.

Eventually, it came out with a pop. And that sent Calic tumbling backwards heels over head. "Whoah!"

Clockwork looked up, hearing the man's call. Getting up from its spot on the box, it peered around a large pipe that had been nearby, no doubt helping to move steam through the ship. There was a crash. Bewildered, the machine rushed to the source of the commotion, finding the man sprawled on the floor.

In a worried tone, it asked, "Are you alright?" If Calic listened closely, he could hear faint whirring and clicking in the voice.

Calic looked at the newcomer from his upsidedown spot. "Ah, hallo. Yes yes yes, I'm fine, just fine!" He got up to his feet and stretched. "Just took a little tumble is all!" He held his hand out to the person. "Calic. Nice to meet you!" The strange creation moved over, crawling its way to Calic's shoulder. "Ah, and this is mine. Chirp. I made him. It. Whatever you wish to call Chirp." He chuckled a little.

"What's your name?"

Clockwork watched the man with wide eyes as he got to his feet. They darted to the clank as it scuttled up to his shoulder. Clockwork took the man's hand in a firm grip as it looked back to him.

"My name is Clockwork of a Venomous Sky. People usually call me either Clockwork or Sky." The clicking was more pronounced as the machine worked around C's and K's. "I am pleased to meet you, Calic and Chirp."

(Edit: ehh Sorry, 'clank' comes from Girl Genius. xD; )

Calic wasn't so concerned with the oddity of this 'Clockwork'. "Alright, nice to meet you too. Sorry if I startled ya." He smiled warmly and then looked around. "I thiiiink I got it fixed. Let's hope, yeah?" He chuckled and the creation on his arm chirped. "So what brings you on this fine vessel, eh Clockwork?" Soon the thing would have its own nickname, but for now he'd still call it Clockwork.

"Let's hope so..if what you were working on was important." Clockwork again looked at the small machine on Calic's shoulder as it made more noises. It continued to study it thoughtfully as the next question was answered. "I am on an important journey. I am searching for something...important." It looked down, eyes closing a bit for the first time. It's beautifully crafted face portrayed what little emotion it could. "It has already taken..much time. I have been searching for too long.."

Calic chuckled sheepishly. "Ah, er...perhaps." He rubbed the back of his neck and then listened as Clockwork spoke. "A journey? What are you looking for? Maybe I can help." He smiled reassuringly. "After all, two pairs of eyes are better than one. And we've got an extra eye with Chirp here!" He chuckled.

"See? I might know what you're searching for, if you tell me."

Clockwork idly kicked at the floor before looking back up at the man.

"Instructions. I'm not sure what they're for, but I know it's in my best interests to find them. I was hoping to continue my search in the city we're headed to..but it would be excellent if you could aid me at all." The limited movement in Clockwork's face didn't stop it from looking cheerily at Calic.

Calic frowned a little in confusion. "Instructions? Why, they could be instructions for anything. Don't you have any idea for what they are?" Maybe for Clock itself. Maybe the instructions were to the humanoid creation in front of him. "Of course, I'd love to help. I have nothing better to do with my time, so I don't see why not."

He smiled back. "Alright then, when we dock we'll head out and look for those instructions!" The machine on his shoulder chirped in agreement.

"I believe they are maintenance related instructions." Clockwork shifted a little. "Ah! But I have abandoned my package.." The machine turned and headed for the tube it had left on the floor, bending and picking it up by its strap. The whirring grew louder as artificial muscles strained to lift the large parcel onto its shoulder. "Don't want to lose this.. Do you have any idea how long it will be until we reach the city?"

Calic lifted an eyebrow curiously. "Package? What's that?" He seemed to have been right, in guessing that the instructions were for Clock. "It should be soon, I think. Any minute now, with that last jet working again. What's in the package?" He couldn't help but be curious about it. Besides, it might be something to help with finding the instructions.

Clockwork smiled as best it could, turning to face him again. "Just a little something to help me get around..perhaps I'll need to use them and you'll get to see! It's kind of a hassle to pack them and unpack them, see." It paused for a moment, looking down and putting a smooth, delicate finger to its mouth. It lowered its hand and looked back up at Calic. "I suggest we head back up to the deck if we really are that close to our destination."

Listening intently, Calic nodded. He understood of course. He may not know what it was, but he understood. "I see, well alright! If you ever need to use them, then I'll get to see just what contraption you've got." As Clock mentioned going back up tot he deck, he started walking right away. "That is an excellent idea, Clocky. An excellent idea." And there it was at last! The nickname for dear Clockwork Sky. It was really to be expected. It was Calic, after all. The quirky man gave nicknames to many things.

(Clocky! <3)

Clockwork's cheeks would have turned pink if they had been capable of it. No one had given it a nickname before. As it followed the man back up through the levels of the airship, it stuck closely to its new friend and held onto the package tightly. Even though it could not really feel physical pain, it could feel the strain the weight of the thing put on its inner workings. Clockwork was far from breaking point, however. The tube was just very large.

Feeling the need to make conversation, it asked, "So, how long ago did you make Chirp?"

At the question, Calic turned slightly to look at his new companion. "Hmm...a few years ago. I've updated his workings a couple times so his mechanisms are still current and working well." The creation chirped lightly (the only sound it makes, so it's obvious where Chirp got his name from), and blinked its one eye at Clock. "So how uh, how old are you, Clocky?" He was curious. He was a mechanic, after all.

(And yes, Calic refers to Chirp as a 'he', even though it's a little weird spider-watch-creation-thing and has no gender. xD)

(I might later start referring to Clock as Sky or just Clock..and he/her 'cause 'it' is hard to work with..)

"Oh! How wonderful to know you've kept him in good shape all this time." The boyish machine looked down for a moment, then looked back up with those perpetually wide eyes. "I am not sure exactly how long ago I was built, but I do know I am less than two years old." Clockwork really was so much like a life-sized doll, with its pretty face and smooth painted metallic exterior. It brushed a strand of blond away from its face and continued, "I don't really remember who made me..but I hope I will find out someday!"

Calic listened to it answer the questions and he nodded. A light smile was given. "You're a pretty new model then! That's what I thought. You had to be, you know? You're so...intricate. Amazing, if I'm allowed to say so." He smiled and stood on deck with the creature. "Chirp's been my best friend through the years. I'm not gonna let up on keeping him maintained!"

(Sounds fine to me)

(Sorry for the delay and failpost.. x: )

Clock looked down shyly. "Thank you. I wish I could point you to my maker. He vanished, however, and I did not get a chance to learn much about him.." It looked back up and gave a small smile. "It must be nice to have a companion."

Clockwork strolled back over to the spot it had stood at before leaving the deck and leaned over the edge, watching the clouds below and around the ship. Yellow hair was pushed around slightly by the wind, but the goggles on Clock's head helped keep it in place.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Gears and Gadgets (1x1)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus