Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The West Gets Weird (Open)

When Charlotte made the remark that he would be a very clever person if he could discern why cats do what they do, he simply grinned from ear to ear. A wide and odd grin. "I´d like to consider myself an expert in that field," he replied proudly. And he was. Sort of. He had his own secrets that he could not share. Secrets that would explain why he was this odd and what connection he had with cats. He didn´t really give a response as to where his name came from, but simply smiled and took another sip of his tea.

The doctor-woman, Charlotte Delacroix seemed unhappy and somewhat offended, when the young fellows had told some shabby-looking guys to protect her. He determined that it was likely, because it suggested she could not take care of herself and was someone that needed to be looked after. "Well, there are many strange people in town this evening. Who is to say that someone would not try to steal your ointment? Not that they would per say, but you never know, do you? Lots of strange things are happening, things that sound stranger than stealing a doctor´s ointments," he remarked thoughtfully, his mind and focus seeming to be... elsewhere. He was odd. He was looking around, when she had asked him where he came from, which halted him to a stop. Like a clock that stopped ticking and stayed where it was. His head was turned away slightly and he was gazing off, and had turned silent. After a while he took another sip of his tea before he practically jumped out of the chair and headed for the door. "I am in need of an adventure, so I shall go see what the others are doing," he said and walked out without another word. And with that he was gone. As though he disappeared into thin air. No sight of him anywhere. He couldn´t have gone far, yet he was nowhere to be seen.
Frank Efferson (played by Juls)

As the creature snarled and snapped, Frank instinctively brought his revolver to point at it. It towered even over the rather tall indian woman and Frank was close enough that he probably could have taken the shot without a major risk of hitting Sayen.

But at the urgency in her voice, he allowed the weapon to lower again when it ran off.

The sounds of a second one certainly didn't help matters.

"What are they doin' here?!" he added his own question to the barrage already directed at Sayen, far from convinced by her statement that it meant no harm.
Keeping a glare on the men, she didn't visibly relax until the beast was some distance away. However, her grip on the metal piece stayed firm, a slight tremor of annoyance in her voice as she answered their questions.

"No, I know of them. My people call them skinwalkers, I do not know if your people have a name for them. It is probably a mated pair, the male was injured." Looking away the piece of metal in her hand fully now, she noticed tribal runes carved into the metal which shone with a silvery light.

"For them to have moved so close to a human settlement means there's something worse out there. They were likely driven from their home and don't you worry none, if they had wanted to kill us your weapons would have been useless." Sayen wasn't about to reveal anymore about them anyway, they were rare enough that she'd never thought she'd encounter one.

Turning in the direction it ran off, she wondered what was bad enough to drive them this far towards a human settlement. Pursing her lips, Sayen returned her attention to the gathering of men. "Regardless, the people of the town are going to talk about this." Gesturing to the three of them, she carefully crossed her arms. "So how should I say I serviced the three of you? Most folk won't consider the supernatural. They are blind to it."

Giving a half smirk while it dawned on them, Sayen had to admit it was comical to her. While she was used to whispers and dirty looks about her profession and race, Sayen doubted these white men had that luxury. "Or perhaps chasing after a whore is something you do regularly. Anyway, gentlemen, see you back in town."

With a slight flourish, she gave an exaggerated curtsey before beginning to walk back. The land felt good under get bare feet and as she walked back, Sayen studied the piece of a dagger, at least that's what she surmised it used to be. The symbols seemed familiar but perhaps a different tribe? It would require digging into but the 'madame' probably wasn't going to let Sayen out of her sight got awhile now. Quitting was an option, she could sell the horses, well all but one, and make a tidy profit.

Looking at the saloon as she approached, Sayen grabbed the hated heels as the madame came out frothing. Sayen didn't hear a word that was said as she focused on the level of red she had turned and the way her eyes bulged. Unattractive. Of course, the spittle was worse. Wiping some from her cheek, Sayen hadn't noticed the hand until it was too late. Sayen's head snapped to the right as her cheek reddened from the sting.

Anger bloomed in Sayen's gut, her grip on the shoes turned her knuckles white. "I suggest you leave while you can." The madame didn't seem bothered but regardless turned on heel and walked away spouting nonsense and the like. Closing her eyes, Sayen breathed to try and reign in her anger knowing reacting in away way would give their baseless accusations truth. Staying outside, she leaned against the wood trying to remain calm.
As she listened to Mr. Hunter's theories about possible ointment thieves, Charlotte's expression grew more and more skeptical. Was the fellow mad? Or had he simply gotten his hands on some of the natives' peyote? She might have suspected opium, but he did seem quite alert, if not altogether present mentally. And before she could say so much as a fare-thee-well, he was not there physically either. Cyncism was quickly replaced with shock, and a small shiver down the doctor's back at the realization that the odd fellow might not have been of a particularly human persuasion.

It seemed like an omen to depart the saloon regardless. After paying the barkeep for her supplies, Charlotte lowered herself from the stool and was about to make for the door when suddenly the madam from upstairs stormed through the barroom like a woman possessed, her unpleasant face full of rage at some poor unsuspecting victim. When she burst through the saloon doors the doctor hoped she would just keep going out of the town entirely, and possibly into the belly of one of the more hungry beasts of the surrounding country. Dr. Delacroix could sympathize with the working girls; there were only so many lines of work available to women, and one needed to do what one must in order to survive. But the world would do quite well without pimps and madams in her opinion, and certainly without the misery they caused.

Unfortunately, it seemed this particular panderess was intent on causing misery just outside the door. From the sound of it, the object of her ire was one of the saloon girls, and Charlotte recalled how the Mapuche woman had fled not so long ago. No doubt her so-called employer wasn't pleased at her absence, and the doctor felt a bit of alarm when the madam returned alone. Good God, she wouldn't harm the woman, would she? the doctor wondered, gathering her belongings and shooting a nasty look at the old shrew as she moved towards the door. It seemed unlikely, but then again the harpy was drunk half the time.

As the doctor had hoped, she found Sayen still lingering outside the saloon door. Although she did not wish to insult the woman or come off as condescending, she couldn't help but notice her heightened state of emotions. "Good evening, Miss. Out for a bit of air?" she said gently, in the same tones she would use when addressing any other woman in town. "I hope that old harridan--" Charlotte inclined her head in the direction of the bar, and allowed a small smile to crack across her lips. "Isn't giving you too much trouble. She's a horrid woman. I don't know why she hasn't been run out of town yet."
Sydney narrowed his eyes lightly hearing her explanation. He was not sure if he believed there was something worse out there than the creature they just saw. However, his experience with the supernatural had been limited to the creature he just saw. The word echoed through his mind several times as he committed it to memory. It was hard to believe there was more out there that was a greater threat to their people than humans. However, he was learning just how dangerous the world could be.

He did not care what she said in regards to why they followed her. As a Marshal he often followed after pleasure workers. They often held valuable information or were close to someone he was tracking. It was part of his job to also protect women like her from ravenous or abusive men. People would believe what they wanted to regardless of the facts. He gave a shake of his head. His eyes watched as Sayen walked back towards the tavern.

"Do we follow it?" Sydney asked the two gentlemen who had remained with him.

Sydney was not sure if following the beast was the best course of action or not. However, he would pursue the skinwalker if the other deemed it to be a threat to the safety of Saltypeak.
Agent Faulkner (played by Copper_Dragon) Topic Starter

Faulkner twists his lips into a thin line of displeasure and reholsters his weapon. He watches after the fleeing skinwalker for a few moments longer before the woman’s comments occupy his thoughts.

“There’s always a bigger fish,” the agent remarks cooly, like a man who’s seen the big ones with his own eyes. He steps aside to let Sayen pass, eyeing her next. His expression softens into weariness. Ugh. Ignorance. The bane of survival, he notes privately.

“You spin whatever story you want,” Faulkner calls after Sayen, “it’s just a matter of time before one bad overrun opens a town’s eyes.” He starts a slow walk after her, back in the direction of the town.

With a purposeful readjustment of his bag, he calls back to Frank and Sydney: “If it’s all the same to you, gentlemen, I haven’t even settled in properly. I can go hunting another time.”
Keeping her eyes closed, Sayen barely heard the rustle of skirts telling she had company. Leaning against the building, Sayen inhaled sharply before opening her eyes with a wry grin on her face. "Hmmm probably because she uses the whores as bargainin' chips."

Studying the doctor, Sayen stood up and looked inside. "I do not belong and she reinforces that notion." Returning her gaze to the doctor, Sayen smiled faintly. "I am Sayen. I do not think I have seen you yet." Sayen touched her own forehead with her fingertips before lowering her hand in greeting.

"I do thank you for being...tactful. Most would not spare a second thought for my kind." Turning her gaze outwards she wondered what was taking the men so long considering they had rushed off when they thought there was immediate danger.
Cheshire Hunter was used to people assuming he was on some sort of opium, though he rarely ever addressed it. Almost as though he did not care, what other people thought of him. But where was he now? He had seemingly vanished into thin air, gone as fast as he came and without a word or a trace. No footprints leading away from the saloon, none at all. He was sitting behind a barrel at the corner of a building, right next to the weird collection of strangers that had come into town earlier today. He´d been eavesdropping and had seen the skinwalker himself and he could´ve sworn that it looked straight at him at one point or that it knew he was there. The others seemed oblivious though, caught up in conversation about what to do next.

If they looked his way they would only see a pair of green eyes and nothing else. The rest of him was invisible and he squatted down so they wouldn´t notice him. He thought things over. A skinwalker. And apparently there was something worse out there. Just his luck. "Curiouser and curiouser," he mumbled not really knowing what else to say.
Frank Efferson (played by Juls)

Frank walks back to town, but rather than return to the saloon, he goes to the stable, saddles his horse, and heads out of Saltypeak.

((Need to drop out, folks. Apologies))

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The West Gets Weird (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus