Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The Highway 99 Blues Club (Closed Permanently)

Darrell Sanders (played by Rogue-Scribe)

I thought I'd start a Blues Club to showcase and enjoy everything Blues Music. Be it original Robert Johnson to the hard electric of Led Zeppelin to modern Blues artists like Robert Cray and Beth Hart, the Blues are played and talked about in this smoky basement venue. So if you are a fan of Blues music, feel free to share your favourites!

BlueNote
(this Blues Club itself is an ode to the Highway 99 Blues Club in Seattle which had to unfortunately closed do to the dismantling of the U.S. 99 viaduct after it was rerouted through a tunnel.)
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Billie holiday,Bessie Smith, muddy waters and the king of the blues Robert Johnson.
Darrell Sanders (played by Rogue-Scribe) Topic Starter

SexySultryBabe wrote:
Billie holiday,Bessie Smith, muddy waters and the king of the blues Robert Johnson.

Yes! All grand Blues artists!

Billie Holiday
Bessie Smith
Muddy Waters
Robert Johnson

...and if you thought Jimi Hendrix owned it doing the song 'Hey Joe',
I say listen to Otis Taylor's cut. This vid has a lot of vintage photos in it as well.

It’s a crowd-recorded phone video, but I love this exchange between Buddy Guy and Samantha Fish back in June! Buddy is looking good for his age!

LakotaSiouxWarrior

Play some Etta James.

SexySultryBabe wrote:
Play some Etta James.

For you, we have Etta James in the house tonight!

Digging way back here. Robert Johnson is fairly well known. His recording sessions went over a day or two in the 1930's and the wire recorders did a great job of capturing and preserving the legend.

But there were other bluesmen recorded before Robert. Check these two recordings out from the 1920's! They were recorded direct to disk so the sound quality is about what was normal for the day.

This one is for you SSB!

And there was a lot of controversy over song credits in the late '60's with Led Zeppelin 'stealing' credit for old blues numbers. Well, Canned Heat did have a bit of an issue with the musical arrangement of their hit song 'Goin' Up The Country' The lyrics are completely different, but the musical arrangement is clearly the same as 'Bull Doze Blues' by Henry Thomas. This was recorded in 1928 on wax...

Now something a bit newer that really is the blues... Love Lightning Hopkins voice and guitar playing!

LakotaSiouxWarrior

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Digging way back here. Robert Johnson is fairly well known. His recording sessions went over a day or two in the 1930's and the wire recorders did a great job of capturing and preserving the legend.

But there were other bluesmen recorded before Robert. Check these two recordings out from the 1920's! They were recorded direct to disk so the sound quality is about what was normal for the day.

This one is for you Lakota!

Now something a bit newer that really is the blues... Love Lightning Hopkins voice and guitar playing!

Ma Rainey got it right

I've been meaning to post here for weeks but was stuck on mobile. Links are a pain.

Anyways! These are modern and have a sort of alternative-blues vibe, but I figured I'd toss 'em here regardless.

That last note 👌

Justin Johnson is guitarist who does amazing swamp/delta blues instrumentals. He plays shovels, oil cans, porch swings-- basically anything that can have strings slapped onto it. Saw a video where he was playing at a bar and people tossed him random objects to use as slides and he killed it. I'm a big fan.

And I was raised on Jimi Hendrix, so. Catfish Blues.

I saw this song on Rage last night and said I needed to put it in the 'Blues Club'!

C.W. Stoneking - Jungle Blues

It's Electric Blues night at the Blues Club!

If you ever get a chance to see Beth Hart live, do it! You won't be disappointed!

(Also featured here is 21 year old Tal Wilkenfeld on bass guitar)

I know this is a cover of a Blind Faith song but I thought it was really well done....

And now it's funkytown here at the Blues Club. Love me some O'Jays and Issac Hayes!

Yeah... Rhythm n Blues baby!
Rogue-Scribe Topic Starter

Listening to some blues-based Brit rock from the sixties 'British Invasion'. One of the more underrated bands of that wave that carried the Beatles and Rolling Stones to the USA is The Animals....

Steve and Aylssa's song...

They never made it, and in time it was only a vague memory.

I love this early TV clip of The Rolling Stones..... they have been together for 18 months... The fact this video tape survived is amazing as the 2" video tape reels were expensive and were commonly re-used. Somebody had the foresight of archiving this one!

Today in the Blues Club we have the Jeff Beck band with special guest Imogen Heap on vocals.... so beautiful!

This deep tribute to Buddy Guy is quite awesome! If a chance to see Beth Hart live comes your way, be sure to treat yourself to the experience!

I remember George playing a free concert at Seattle Center this same year.... he wouldn't quit playing and the venue finally shut down power on him around midnight.

Getting back to some deeper blues....

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The Highway 99 Blues Club (Closed Permanently)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus